Redcafe Sheep Draft 2nd Semi Final - Polaroid vs Thisistheone

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
The aim of this poll is to decide the winner in this fantasy game contested between two sides assembled through the method of drafting. For the purpose of this game, all players would be considered as being at their respective peaks. I invite all posters to go through the formations, tactics and arguments that will follow in the thread and kindly leave their vote. Thanks.

Polaroid's Tactics
Hello Aldo, appreciate your help to update my OP with the following elaboration, thanks! :)

The team lines up in a modern and balanced 4-2-3-1 formation, rock-solid in defence, cohesive in transitions and deadly in attack (creativity, width, pace and goals).
The back five is a dream, Rio-Cannavaro-Thuram-Lahm-Neuer, formidable defensive titans from the very top tier of their generation, with proven class in standing up to the world’s best attackers. There is also the added bonus from Thuram-Cannavaro renewing the telepathic understanding in their Parma-Juve partnership.

My defensive setup is perfectly match-made to best limit TITO's attack - his relatively narrower attack means defensively my team can be more compact, tightening the defence, constricting space that is imperative to openings. Thuram-Cannavaro-Rio-Lahm-Neuer with protection from Redondo-Busquets will be nigh on impenetrable if there is not enough width to strecth opponents and create space. Space is critical to opening of gaps, if space is constricted, both passing lanes and dribbling channels are easier to block, opportunities are correspondingly diminished. Allowing top quality opposition the luxury of defending compactly and the difficulty in scoring is doubled.

The telepathic understanding between Thuram and Cannavaro establisbed from their Parma-Juve partnership will help tremendously in limiting the threat from Stoickhov. Lahm has impressed me with his spell in midfield, his intelligence, reading and positioning is top-notch, earning no higher praise than Guardiola labelling him as the most intelligent player he has ever worked with. Lahm will receive no better support and cover than Rio Ferdinand, that immaculate reading, prescient anticipation, that incredibly smooth change of gear accelerating to lightning speed, he is like Bobby Moore with a Roll-Royce engine. And as if that is not enough, add twin towers to the defensive fortress - Redondo and Busquets with their tactical awareness and impeccable positioning marshalling the defensive zone, shielding, intercepting and tackling.

The importance of stretching the opponents to create space and openings, particularly against top class defenders & midfielders, if overlooked, doubles the challenge of finding gaps and halves the chances of scoring

Zidane-Redondo-Busquets is an orgasmic midfield trio oozing with pure class, complementing each other for the perfect balance of creativity and industry, flair and control. Busquets is the perfect foil for Redondo defensively and offensively. Busquets’ tactical awareness, astute positioning and ball-winning prowess affords greater freedom for Redondo to impose his quality on the game. More than that, in the attacking buildup, Busquets’ intelligence, ability on the ball and supreme one-touch pass-n-move will sync perfectly with Redondo, enabling them to play one-touch tangos to waltz past opponents and attack the space behind. Redondo can break forward with the assurance of Busquets covering, linking up with Zidane for a dual axis to create openings and exploit gaps as Eto’o-Laudrup-Bale stretch the opposition vertically and horizontally with their pace and movement. Bale has the blistering pace and boundless stamina to run all game. Laudrup is blessed with rare gifts, infusing pace and trickery with vision and creativity. Both are sublime crossers of the ball, delivering the most delicious balls in for Eto’o to feast on. Gilt-edged opportunities or half-chances, they will all be snapped up by the deadly goalscorer extraordinaire that is Eto’o.

Makele will be preoccupied with Zidane, aggravated by the occassions of Redondo getting past his opponent to link up with Zidane for a dual creative axis. Makelele will be too overloaded to help out his fullbacks. Once Laudrup gets the better of Pessotto, Montero is forced to go wide, leaving Eto'o one on one vs Ferrara in the centre. This is the converse example of how my team's width create more space and openings for passing lanes, dribbling channels and goalscoring opportunities

This game will be tight and as in all tight games, the ones that are most efficient and the least wasteful in capitalizing on every goalscoring opportunity will have the decisive edge. And you do not get a much more deadly big game goalscorer than Eto'o. Trust the goalscorer extraordinaire Eto’o with his natural instincts, razor sharp movement and clinical finishing to deliver the goods on the biggest stage, he just loves scoring against the biggest teams. Creating one-on-one opportunities for him in the centre with his big game ability to make every chance count and a compact defensive unit of Redondo-Busquets-Thuram-Cannavaro-Rio-Lahm-Neuer killing space at the other. That is the best shot at the game-winning ticket

TEAM POLAROID

TEAM THISISTHEONE

Thisistheone's Tactics
FORMATION

A 4-3-3 formation with Totti replicating his unique false 9 role, dropping deep to utilise his exceptional passing range whilst retaining a goal threat up top – demonstrated in his 32 goal 2006-07 season.

BRIEF TACTICS

FORWARDS

Very few footballers offer what Totti does – a striker with the creativity, technique and passing of a true number 10. Without a doubt one of the games greatest players, Totti’s legacy would be even greater if he had left Roma for bigger sides. The system is built to get the best out of Totti, giving complete freedom to roam and pull deep, dragging defenders and creating space for the inside forwards to exploit.

In the wide positions Stoichkov and Savicevic + Cafu and Pessotto offer fluidity and movement, with a direct threat that compliments the passing ability of Totti and Scholes. They will look to get behind the defence with diagonal runs, using their pace and dribbling to offer a direct threat.

On the left the 1994 Ballon d’Or winner Hristo Stoichkov takes the offence up a level in a system perfectly suited to his abilities –109 goals for the Barcelona Dream Team under Johan Cruff, the inside forward brings explosive pace, exceptional dribbling and guaranteed goals to the side.

Not simply a brilliant player shoehorned into a team, Stoichkov is quite simply perfect for the role being asked of here. He will dart inside and out, constantly latching onto the through balls of Paul Scholes and Francesco Totti.

MIDFIELD

In midfield Makelele sits deep behind Vieira and Scholes, providing the perfect platform for the two midfielders to influence the match. The security in behind allows Vieira to play box to box, breaking up play defensively and running from deep when the team is on the attack.

Paul Scholes will completely control the tempo of the match when in possession, spraying balls across to Cafu, down the middle to Totti’s feet, or directly over the defence to feed Stoichkov.

With the addition of the Arsenal captain Scholes/Vieira/Makelele is now perfectly balanced and complimentary - goals, creativity, pace, power and drive as well as defensive nous, positioning and toughness off the ball.

DEFENCE

The central back three formed a rock solid cornerstone of one of the Greatest Teams of the 1990's – with Juventus dominating Serie A and reaching three Champions League finals in a row.

Like many of the games great defensive partnerships, Ferrara/Montero know each other inside out and complement each other perfectly. The brute force of Montero vs the class and intelligence of the great Italian Ciro Ferrara – this is a partnership tested and proven at the highest level.

The Juventus defence is significantly improved on the right with the irrepressible Cafu bombing forward down the right flank and Makelele sat in front of the defence, tracking Zidane and snuffing out danger before it arises.

ATTACKING FLEXIBILITY

The interplay between Vieira/Scholes/Totti allows the team to dominate possession and build slowly, or alternatively attack directly with pace and feed quick passes through to the likes of Savicevic/Stoichkov. All three are technically proficient at keeping the ball, yet all three also played in counter attacking/direct sides.

For United Scholes would constantly slow down the tempo and make seven or eight short passes, before suddenly spraying a 40 yard pass to initiate an attack. Likewise at Arsenal, Vieira controlled the play from midfield, but also constantly initiated counter attacks for Henry/Pires/Bergkamp.

ONE PLAYER NOT TO BE UNDERRATED

SAVICEVIC - A truly special talent, Savicevic could be breathtaking to watch with his raw and natural ability with the ball at his feet. One of the finest dribblers of all time - let alone his generation - Savicevic would dart and move, changing direction at great pace, twisting defenders and pulling even the most well drilled teams out of their comfort zone.

Voted second in the 1994 Ballon d'Or, Savicevic's audacious chip in the 1994 Champions League Final remains one of the great goals of the competition

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
LOOT AD

OFFERED: Prime gamethread real estate for any clarification or scathing remarks that may be needed.

Has fallen into disuse as a tactic, largely because I can no longer be bothered. Follow the link for a classic devastating example.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS: The adjacent space has been used for a major advertising campaign. Something to do with totty, as if women needed advertising to internet keyboard warriors.

No need for elaborate content, loads of random quotes, photos and youtube clips will do for impact.

IF INTERESTED CONTACT @antohan

Last edited:

Thisistheone

FRANCESCO TOTTI - Il Re di Roma (The King of Rome)

A complete footballer and an inspirational Captain.

Totti is currently the second highest all-time goalscorer in Serie A with 232 goals - an incredible achievement considering Totti has never played as a typical striker, instead controlling Roma's play from deeper positions, stacking up assists and destroying opponents with his creative passing.

A wonderful player - this side gets the absolute best out of Totti.

Pele -
"Totti is the best player in the world"

Maradona
"Totti is the world's number one."

Platini
"Totti is an artist of football, a true Number 10, just like I was."

Beckenbauer
"There are many star players in Italy, but the only one I would bring to Bayern Munich would be Totti... He deserves to win the Ballon d'Or."

Caludio Ranieri
"He is the best player with whom I have ever worked. He could have won several Ballons d'Or had he left Roma for Barcelona or Manchester United."

Gianni Rivera
"Totti is better than Baggio and Del Piero, even better than me."

"He is the best Italian player of the last 20 years. He can do everything and do it well. Assists and goals, power and delicacies techniques. Extraordinary."

Paolo Rossi
"Francesco Totti has probably been the best player in the last decade. His skills, ability, physical strength and intelligence on the pitch made him a symbol for Roma and the whole of Italian football."

Falcão
"Totti has the technique of a South American and deserved to win a few more trophies with his Roma team. In fact, he also deserved to win the Ballon d’Or."

Arrico Sacchi
"He is one of the greatest players I have ever seen."

Trapattoni
"Every player has some genius, but there's only one Van Gogh, and there is nobody like Totti."

Last edited:

Thisistheone

First thoughts: Football user looks absolutely huge compared to This11 !

Last edited:

antohan

First thoughts: Football user looks absolutely huge compared to This11 !
Yeah, I used to like how footballuser had these big shirts which covered the entire pitch and this 11 sometimes looks like players are stranded in the middle of nowhere. It's much more accurate in scale though and I've developed a soft spot for how it is much easier to display tactical nuances.

Anyhow, the game... Pol doesn't seem to have improved much upfront, if at all. His attack doesn't really cut it any more IMO. That said, he is lucky Tito hasn't engaged in much defensive improvement either. Laudrup on Pessotto looks like the one to target here.

There's no obvious weakness in Pol's defence, although I don't like Ferdinand there at all. My only vivid memory of Ferdinand at left-CB is after Jonny got sent off against City :wenger:

antohan

Both sides really looking at nicking a single goal here IMO. While I think Stoichkov had to start on the left, Suárez has goals in him... Second half sub?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah, I used to like how footballuser had these big shirts which covered the entire pitch and this 11 sometimes looks like players are stranded in the middle of nowhere. It's much more accurate in scale though and I've developed a soft spot for how it is much easier to display tactical nuances.

Anyhow, the game... Pol doesn't seem to have improved much upfront, if at all. His attack doesn't really cut it any more IMO. That said, he is lucky Tito hasn't engaged in much defensive improvement either. Laudrup on Pessotto looks like the one to target here.

There's no obvious weakness in Pol's defence, although I don't like Ferdinand there at all. My only vivid memory of Ferdinand at left-CB is after Jonny got sent off against City :wenger:
I thought he and Vidic swapped sides for a fair few games last season? Or maybe the season before. Either way it looked alright IIRC.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Just seen that Aldo has changed Suarez to Cafu :drool:

Really is a great job with those banners, looks fantastic.

Thisistheone

Suarez could come on if i need a goal but my thoughts right now is that at this level Brain Laudrup, Eto'o and Bale are a little lightweight.

Last edited:

antohan

I thought he and Vidic swapped sides for a fair few games last season? Or maybe the season before. Either way it looked alright IIRC.
Yes, I picked on it before once when Brwned played him there and it was agreed he could do a job there. I'm still not very keen on playing Rio Ferdinand somewhere he can do a job in, I want him where I saw him at his peak. No?

Thisistheone

The new boys:

Patrick Vieira comes in to complete an almost perfect midfield. Scholes, Vieira, Makelele has everything. As flexible and well rounded as you could hope for. There are goals, creativity, technical mastery, pace, power and drive as well as perfect positional sense, defensive nous and brilliance off the ball.

Hristo Stoichkov
will instantly bring the team up a level with his sheer brilliance. It's important to note that Hristo comes into a side that suits him perfectly and is not simply a brilliant player shoehorned into an attack that will not get the best out of him, or his team-mates.

The number of goals in the side is exceptional. Totti has over 250 goals to his name, Stoichkov over 300, Paul Scholes 155.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yes, I picked on it before once when Brwned played him there and it was agreed he could do a job there. I'm still not very keen on playing Rio Ferdinand somewhere he can do a job in, I want him where I saw him at his peak. No?
In Rio's case I don't think there's much to suggest he wasn't equally capable of playing the left centre back position, so its not a huge deal to me to be honest.

antohan

The number of goals in the side is exceptional. Totti has over 250 goals to his name, Stoichkov over 300, Paul Scholes 155.
Totti and Stoichkov are 1 in 2 players. Probably a goal there then. Not seeing a lot more sources though. Are you playing the Scholes that made runs into the box or the DLP one? I suppose it's the latter because there's no one else at the back 7 who can dictate, at all. The scoring record belongs with the other one though.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
In Rio's case I don't think there's much to suggest he wasn't equally capable of playing the left centre back position, so its not a huge deal to me to be honest.
I'm not a big fan of switching centerbacks around unless they actually played on both sides during their peak. Some were capable of playing equally great on both sides, especially stoppers didn't care that much, others struggled. It's really difficult to say with the ball-playing centerbacks. Right footed centerbacks on the left have a few disadvantages for example.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

I agree that Pol's attack looks a bit out of place here now. That's why I thought he would upgrade at least one winger. He will need Bale to do his bit otherwise TITO's right wing would be even too much for Lahm to handle. That's pretty much the only route I see for TITO's team to score, Pol's defense is impeccable otherwise. I don't think any one cares much as to where Rio is positioned.

Thisistheone

Totti and Stoichkov are 1 in 2 players. Probably a goal there then. Not seeing a lot more sources though.
Totti was scoring 30 plus goals in this exact role, in Serie A so he's got plenty of goals in him. More than the 1 in 2 you suggest since he's not played this role all his career.

Stoichkov at his peak was a 20-25 goals a season man, around the time he was winning the Balon D'or and a season or two either side of that. So I'd argue there is closer to 2 goals here than the "Probably a goal there" which seems a touch harsh.

They're playing against better opposition though, obviously so you argue it's a tougher level here. But then they're also playing with better players, especially in Totti's case.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
LOOT AD

OFFERED: Prime gamethread real estate for any clarification or scathing remarks that may be needed.

Has fallen into disuse as a tactic, largely because I can no longer be bothered. Follow the link for a classic devastating example.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS: The adjacent space has been used for a major advertising campaign. Something to do with totty, as if women needed advertising to internet keyboard warriors.

No need for elaborate content, loads of random quotes, photos and youtube clips will do for impact.

Although nothing beats the evisceration of poor Eyzaguirre, your Nordahl diatribe was pretty effective as well.

Thisistheone

I think the right flank could be a real source of joy here. With Cafu bombing on and providing width. Savicevic can drift centrally behind the midfield and look to drive at the defence, dribbling his way through before cutting it back for Scholes to finish on the edge of the area or a driving Stoichkov at the back post.

The dribbling of Savicevic alone will commit defenders and pull players out of position, opening gaps in the defensive line - seen here in his fantastic MOTM display against United.

Cafu on top of that makes it a difficult afternoon for Lahm & Bale on the left.

For those who'd like to read an excellent aricle on Savicevic:

http://equaliserblog.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/dejan-savicevic-genius/

Genius is an overused word in football. Nowadays “geniuses” appear to be ten-a-penny, along with “legends” and “great” players. In reality the very essence of genius is its rarity, the creative spark which separates the best from the rest.

Some would scoff at the idea that footballers can be geniuses. In English football the word “genius” is most typically applied to players like Paul Gascoigne or Wayne Rooney, men who do not match the conventional intellectual profile of an Einstein or Newton. Yet few of the doubters would question the credentials of men such as Mozart or Picasso who excelled in non-academic spheres to be lauded with such a term.

Both music and art can draw clear links with the scientific fields that are more commonly associated with the idea of genius. The tempo of musical scores, the rhythm and the pitch all rely on physics and mathematics to create the ideal composition. In art the angles and lines, the sense of perfect proportion, depend on applied of mathematics and make clear why so many figures of the Renaissance were accomplished in scientific disciplines.

The very best footballers do the same which is why the ridicule often given to their intellectual capacities is so misplaced. The metronomic qualities of Xavi dictate the tempo of matches with the quality of the greatest composers. Michael Laudrup demonstrated a level of vision to rival the greatest artists, while the spatial awareness of Michel Platini was illustrative of great intelligence.

Dejan Savicevic was just such a player. His nimble footwork and ability to change direction at pace marked him out as one of the most graceful footballers of his generation. Where many of the best players see passes that do not appear to exist, Savicevic’s dribbling allowed him to find a way through defences which seemed impregnable. His balance, low centre of gravity and sheer doggedness allowed him to ride tackles, evade defenders and retain possession where lesser players would have tumbled.

Naturally dribbling was not the only string to Savicevic’s bow. His control was instant, while his left foot was like a wand in the spell it cast over a football. What set him apart from his rivals was the feeling that he was always one move ahead of his opponents. On countless occasions Savicevic appeared cornered only to somehow anticipate the challenges of defenders, to wriggle out of trouble and create mayhem in the opposing penalty area.

In addition his passing married vision with technique in a manner that only the best could do. In an era where playmakers still reigned supreme, Savicevic could rival the best of them for the range and variety of his passing. If ever something special was required to unlock the most stubborn defence the imagination of Savicevic in his prime was as likely to find the key as any of his competitors. No wonder then that many consider the Montenegrin one of football’s great geniuses.

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Savicevic's dribbling is insane. It really is.

antohan

Totti was scoring 30 plus goals in this exact role, in Serie A so he's got plenty of goals in him. More than the 1 in 2 you suggest since he's not played this role all his career.

Stoichkov at his peak was a 20-25 goals a season man, around the time he was winning the Balon D'or and a season or two either side of that. So I'd argue there is closer to 2 goals here than the "Probably a goal there" which seems a touch harsh.
Totti was a mid-teens Serie A scorer, occasionally would get 20 or a few more but never 30. Stoichkov was much the same, mid-teens league scorer.

They're playing against better opposition though, obviously so you argue it's a tougher level here. But then they're also playing with better players, especially in Totti's case.
That's precisely why I stick to probably one jointly. Their 1 in 2 records weren't put together playing against Thuram, Cannavaro and Ferdinand every week. True Totti, has better service here, but I'd stick with a fair probability of 1 in 1 overall.

It's not like I see Pol scoring much, mind. Zidane was a very very rare goalscorer, it just happens to be the case the times he did are quite memorable.

antohan

Although nothing beats the evisceration of poor Eyzaguirre, your Nordahl diatribe was pretty effective as well.
:lol: Those were the days. Unfortunately no one trusts me any more so people ignore me even when I have a point which leads to me getting fed up with it all. Mind you, I had a good point on both Eyzaguirre and Nordahl, such an unwarranted reputation :wenger:

crappycraperson

Scout
haha.. i don't even remember voting in that match. I voted for Cutch! Still prefer his team.. big names won it for anto ;)

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
LOOT AD

The feck is this :lol:

antohan

:lol: don't want to derail but seriously crappy, do yourself a favour and watch the clip on that linked post. It beats anything Chaplin, the Marx Bros. or Monty Python ever did.

crappycraperson

Scout
I did. :lol: He was a weak link alright but I agreed with Cutch that Fachetti would not have ventured too far forward with Best/Ronaldo on the wings. Plus I don't rate Henry that much in context of all time draft. Him, CRon and the Chilean fella are by far the worst players on the pitch.

Moby

Dick
I thought we said no footballuser...
There was no such rule, as I mentioned in the PMs. this11 is recommended but if someone wants to use something else it's perfectly fine.

Moreover, Pol was having issues with accessing this11 and only after trying a few times he had to resort to footballuser.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I still can't believe Eyzaguirre made that final without being replaced. How did that happen?

crappycraperson

Scout
I keep meaning to vote for Pol but then I see his attack and go meh. I know a lot of people were drooling at his Biscuits pick but I think it has hurt him here. MF was the last place he needed to reinforce, he got through by inches in last round but failure to upgrade the front 3 has hurt him here. My vote goes to TITO, as said before there is goal in his right side.

antohan

Him, CRon and the Chilean fella are by far the worst players on the pitch.
The difference is you have a real-life case of that Chilean fella playing among greats. You can't watch that and believe he is even a professional footballer, looks like clueless Danny from our local. Ignored outright by Kopa as an attacking option, at fault in every single goal and generally looking like Bambi caught in headlights.

antohan

There was no such rule, as I mentioned in the PMs. this11 is recommended but if someone wants to use something else it's perfectly fine.

Moreover, Pol was having issues with accessing this11 and only after trying a few times he had to resort to footballuser.
I mentioned last night this11.com changed the interface, tools were a bit wonky, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a few outages as well.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I still can't believe Eyzaguirre made that final without being replaced. How did that happen?
There hadn't really been much said about him throughout. I brought in Baresi, Di Stefano, Big Dunc and Cristiano and hoped i could scrape through with a clown of a rightback. Against anyone else i might have got away with it and think it was neck and neck for a long time. After Anto went to town on him there was no way back.

Who was it got him in a recent draft and thought he had a cracking pick until we broke the news to him? :lol:

antohan

No one had ever watched him at all. Seriously, who watches Chile'62 games? Cutch asked me for info on him and I had none, had the balls to play him against Brwned and got through unscathed so he must have figured out he would be fine off the back of "best RB in the world in '62, played for the All-Stars in FIFA's Centenary game".

I actually knew there had to be something there, watched Chile's games but they never seemed to face potent attacks or wide players... then I found that clip and literally ROLMFAO for a couple of hours straight. :keano:

antohan

There hadn't really been much said about him throughout. I brought in Baresi, Di Stefano, Big Dunc and Cristiano and hoped i could scrape through with a clown of a rightback. Against anyone else i might have got away with it and think it was neck and neck for a long time. After Anto went to town on him there was no way back.
It was, I had made a compilation of his Chile games but I doubt anyone bothered with it. I actually found that clip halfway through the game. The last thing I wanted was to dig up something showing him in such great company... until I actually watched it :lol: And the great company was actually a massive draw. Who wouldn't want to watch Charlton, Seeler, Di Stéfano, Kopa, Greaves, Yashin, Djalma... all ont he same pitch? And Fifo Eyzaguirre.

Who was it got him in a recent draft and thought he had a cracking pick until we broke the news to him? :lol:
We should have let him play him and break it then :lol:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Oh, yes Trippy. But he won the game and then significantly improved his fullbacks with Nilton and Djalma.