Redcafe Sheep Draft Final - Gio vs Thisistheone

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
The aim of this poll is to decide the winner in this fantasy game contested between two sides assembled through the method of drafting. For the purpose of this game, all players would be considered as being at their respective peaks. I invite all posters to go through the formations, tactics and arguments that will follow in the thread and kindly leave their vote. Thanks.

Gio's Tactics
I have changed the tactics to take account of TITO's strengths. Out goes the emphasis on wide play, in comes a focus on taking meaningful control of the game through the centre. After all TITO has got Cafu and Maldini as his full-backs - why the hell would anyone want to bother getting the better of them?

Instead it's about maximising our talents and with Rivaldo and Romario on board, doing whatever we can to give that pair the platford to win the game. They are the two best players on the park and need to be supported to do what they do best. Hagi and Nedved have swapped flanks. Nedved will match Cafu's runs while posing plenty of attacking threat of his own. Hagi will operate from inside-right, renewing his rivalry with Redondo and shifting onto his wondrous left peg whenever he can. Rivaldo will roam inbetween TITO's defence and midfield, has plenty of previous in schooling TITO's midfielders and is the player most likely to decide the outcome of the match.

Inevitably Scholes and Redondo will be sex on the ball so I have no intention of pressing them high up the park. Instead Davids and Desailly wil be nigh-on impossible to break through, a monstrous ball-winning pair whose main purpose will be to break up play and feed Rivaldo, Hagi and Nedved to create havoc on the counter. They will equally protect a near-impenetrable back four and squeeze any space for Totti to drop into. Bergomi will tuck tight to track and cancel out Stoichkov (or Savicevic if there is a switch), while Brehme, Kohler and Campbell will do a job on Savicevic and Totti (Brehme and Kohler won a World Cup playing next to each other as they are here). In possession Brehme remains a brilliant outlet and one who will offer quick transitions into the attack as well as providing a potent goalthreat off either foot.

TEAM GIO

Starting Formation

TEAM THISISTHEONE

Starting Formation

Thisistheone's Tactics
FORMATION

A 4-3-3 formation with Totti replicating his unique false 9 role, dropping deep to utilise his exceptional passing range whilst retaining a goal threat up top – demonstrated in his 32 goal 2006-07 season.

BRIEF TACTICS

FORWARDS

Very few footballers offer what Totti does – a striker with the creativity, technique and passing of a true number 10. Without a doubt one of the games greatest players, Totti’s legacy would be even greater if he had left Roma for bigger sides. The system is built to get the best out of Totti, giving complete freedom to roam and pull deep, dragging defenders and creating space for the inside forwards to exploit.

In the wide positions Stoichkov and Suarez + Cafu and Maldini offer fluidity and movement, with a direct threat that compliments the passing ability of Totti and Scholes. They will look to get behind the defence with diagonal runs, using their pace and dribbling to offer a direct goal threat.

On the left the 1994 Ballon d’Or winner Hristo Stoichkov takes the offence up a level in a system perfectly suited to his abilities –109 goals for the Barcelona Dream Team under Johan Cruff, the inside forward brings explosive pace, exceptional dribbling and guaranteed goals to the side.

Not simply a brilliant player shoehorned into a team, Stoichkov is quite simply perfect for the role being asked of here. He will dart inside and out, constantly latching onto the through balls of Paul Scholes and Francesco Totti.

MIDFIELD

In midfield sits the man Fabio Capello described as "Tactically Perfect" Fernando Redondo, behind Vieira and Scholes, providing the perfect platform for the two midfielders to influence the match. The security & mastery in behind allows Vieira to play box to box, breaking up play defensively and running from deep when the team is on the attack.

Paul Scholes will completely control the tempo of the match when in possession, spraying balls across to Cafu, Maldini, down the middle to Totti’s feet, or directly over the defence to feed Stoichkov & Suarez.

With the additions of the Arsenal captain & Real Madrid legend, Scholes/Vieira/Redondo is now perfectly balanced and complimentary - goals, creativity, pace, power and drive as well as defensive nous, positioning and toughness off the ball. A midfield trio that simply won't be beat in this match, but will actually take complete control of proceedings.

DEFENCE

The central back partnership formed a rock solid cornerstone of one of the Greatest Teams of the 1990's – with Juventus dominating Serie A and reaching three Champions League finals in a row.

Like many of the games great defensive partnerships, Ferrara/Montero know each other inside out and complement each other perfectly. The brute force of Montero vs the class and intelligence of the great Italian Ciro Ferrara – this is a partnership tested and proven at the highest level.

The Juventus defence is significantly improved on the right with the irrepressible Cafu bombing forward down the right flank and none other than the greatest left back of modern times, Paolo Maldini, to the left. With Redondo sat in front of this defence, there is a level of tactical awareness rarelly seen before.

ATTACKING FLEXIBILITY

The interplay between Vieira/Scholes/Totti allows the team to dominate possession and build slowly, or alternatively attack directly with pace and feed quick passes through to the likes of Savicevic/Stoichkov. All three are technically proficient at keeping the ball, yet all three also played in counter attacking/direct sides.

For United Scholes would constantly slow down the tempo and make seven or eight short passes, before suddenly spraying a 40 yard pass to initiate an attack. Likewise at Arsenal, Vieira controlled the play from midfield, but also constantly initiated counter attacks for Henry/Pires/Bergkamp.

TACTICAL CHANGE

As brilliant as Savicevic is (and he's had a fantastic tournament) due to the addition of Redondo playmaking from deep there isn't a need for another playmaker in there. Our side could do with more runs in behind for Totti, Scholes & Redondo, offering a bigger goal threat and also more work rate and energy. Savicevic lacks those qualities, therefore Luis Suarez comes into the side with Stoichkov moving to the right.

Basically it gives us another threat in behind for our passers to slip through balls into whilst also causing more problems for Gio's excellent back-line. Twisting and turning them, making life extremely difficult in a match where we expect our midfield to control preoceedings.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The way I see it there are a number of key battles that will decide the match:

Romario v Montero/Ferrara
Rivaldo v Redondo
Hagi v Redondo
Totti v Campbell/Kohler
Suarez v Bergomi
Stoichkov v Brehme/Kohler

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Hagi playing inside-right - what's that all about?

3 July 1994 - World Cup Quarter Final in the Los Angeles Rose Bowl - the day Hagi tore Redondo's Argentina a new hole.

Romania 3-2 Argentina

In the best match of the 1994 World Cup. Hagi was too hot to handle despite coming up against a Simeone and Redondo anchored midfield. He's operating in a similar counter-attacking set-up, playing in the very same position, setting up the second and scoring the third.

Thisistheone

First of all I'd like to thank Theon for all the help in building this side. He's been a joint manager here, rather than an Assistant.

My thoughts:

Redondo-Scholes-Vieira will control the midfield battle, giving us a strong enough hold on the game, getting our dangermen into area's where they can do what they do best.

Stoichkov, Totti & Suarez offer an incredible number of goals.

Along with Scholes who can get into the box and score himself. Cafu and Maldini offering width. It's one hell of an attacking outfit.

I'm not sold completely on Sol Campbell at this level. Kohler is the best centre half on the pitch but as a pair, our two are stronger. I don't think Campbell-Kohler-Goram is a strong enough spine to stop our team from scoring.

Gio's full backs will struggle to add anything to his attack with the work rate of Suarez and Stoichkov. Bergomi is not an attacking full back anyway so I can see my left side of Maldini and Suarez causing problems.

VivaJanuzaj

A couple of questions for both managers:

@Gio , is Desailly playing a sweeper role a midfield water carrier? I can't understand his role here.

@Thisistheone what is the reason of dropping Savicevic for Suarez? Seems weird to me.
EDIT: just saw why in your tactics, still I think Savicevic is a bigger threat outside the box than Suarez, plus he can makes these inside runs. I'd keep him in.

Plus, I think your midfield will look much better with Viera and Redondo behind Scholes:
Viera --- Redondo
Scholes
That way neither of them needs to be solely responsible for Rivaldo and they can help against Gio's scary front four

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm not sold completely on Sol Campbell at this level. Kohler is the best centre half on the pitch but as a pair, our two are stronger. I don't think Campbell-Kohler-Goram is a strong enough spine to stop our team from scoring.
Basically Kohler is a level or two above any of the others. Campbell, Montero and Ferrara are about the same, although I'd probably take Campbell who is second only to Ferdinand as a centre-half in the Premiership era.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Gio
@Thisistheone

Who do you have on bench?
Christian Vieri
Hulking line-leader who was as good as it got around the turn of the century. A fearsome physical presence who remains the all-time top scorer of headed goals in Serie A. A ruthless finisher however the chances came to him, grabbing the Pichichi with 24 in 24 for Atletico, banging in 103 in 143 for Inter and rattling in 8 World Cup goals for Italy.

Michel
The foremost right-winger during the late-1980s and early-1990s as his Ballon D'Or nominations (4th in 1987, 13th in 1988 and 1989) testify. His fantastic crossing ability (Vieri's going to have a field day), eye for goal (good for 15-20 a season, 3rd top scorer at Italia '90 and European Cup top scorer in 1988) and creative interplay will be invaluable. Collected 16 titles at a Real Madrid team that was second only to the great Milan in the late 1980s.

Claudio Lopez
Electric forward who spent a number of excellent seasons at Valencia. Equally at home on the left wing or in attack, his 30 goals in 1998/99 were perhaps the statistical highlight but it was his leading role in the regular demolitions of reigning European champions Real Madrid (see the 6-0 hammering) andBarcelona which really caught the imagination.

Diego Simeone
Top-level midfield enforcer who amassed 106 caps for Argentina. A born leader who was willing to do what it takes to win the midfield battle. Voted by Atletico fans last year into their all-time XI for his impact in their La Liga success in 1996. Hungry in the air and the one-man engine room behind the Inter and great Lazio team of the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Christian Panucci
A solid right-back whose CV included the likes of Milan, Real Madrid, Inter and Roma. Typically defensively sound Italian who slotted in seamlessly at centre-half but was tidy, productive and classy when advancing down the flank. Another who excelled in the air (fellow Scots will recall his cruel last-minute headed winner at the climax of the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign).

Patrick Andersson
Marshalled the Sweden defence to a highly impressive third-place finish at the 1994 World Cup. Was the same commanding presence in Bayern's Champions League win in 2001, having drilled in the crucial 'last-kick-of-the-season' winner in that season's Bundesliga race (poor Schalke). Injury-prone in his latter years, yet that Barcelona signed him at the age of 31 shows the high standing he had within the game. A long and distinguished career, collecting 96 caps for Sweden (when they were a force) and considered their greatest defender of the modern era.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A couple of questions for both managers:

@Gio , is Desailly playing a sweeper role a midfield water carrier? I can't understand his role here.

@Thisistheone what is the reason of dropping Savicevic for Suarez? Seems weird to me.
Plus, I think your midfield will look much better with Viera and Redondo behind Scholes:
Viera --- Redondo
Scholes​
That way neither of them needs to be solely responsible for Rivaldo and they can help against Gio's scary front four
Basically Desailly is taking on the same role as he did for Milan against Barcelona in the 4-0 Champions League Final in 1994.

More detail on his role in that game at:
http://lankyguyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/classic-match-series-ac-milan-4-0.html

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
what is the reason of dropping Savicevic for Suarez? Seems weird to me.
It isn't weird at all, Savicevic was never a goalscorer and with that midfield plus Totti the absolute last thing the side needs is another playmaker.

Redondo, Scholes, Totti.. Absolutely devastating passers. What the team needs is runs in behind Gio's defence, someone for Redondo or Totti to slip passes into.

Suarez is perfect for that role and much more suited than Savicevic. It's about the balance of the team.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Basically Kohler is a level or two above any of the others. Campbell, Montero and Ferrara are about the same, although I'd probably take Campbell who is second only to Ferdinand as a centre-half in the Premiership era.
Ferrara is better than Campbell.

Kohler is of course the best, but Montero/Ferrara are worth more than the sum of their parts, purely because they worked so well together. This isn't a fantasy partnership - Montero/Ferrara were the heart of the best defence in Europe.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ferrara is better than Campbell.

Kohler is of course the best, but Montero/Ferrara are worth more than the sum of their parts, purely because they worked so well together. This isn't a fantasy partnership - Montero/Ferrara were the heart of the best defence in Europe.
Ferrara is a defender who I rate highly but he only played 2 matches at major international tournaments between 1988 and 2000. Meanwhile, Sol Campbell was in the Team of the Tournament at both the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004. Campbell was one of the best centre-halves in the world during his best years, I'm not sure Ferrara was quite in the same bracket. I don't think there's a lot between them as Ferrara did very well with Juventus in the mid-90s.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Both managers seem to have gone for shock and awe with some bizarre ideas:
  • Desailly in midfield ahead of Simeone didn't look necessary. If anything I rated Simeone's contribution going forward higher than Desailly's or Davids' and Gio looks more broken in half than before (and this is the third game on the trot I point that out).
  • Hagi on the right is really bizarre IMO, particularly with Bergomi instead of Petrescu. I thought him and Brehme where fine on the other flank and Nedved could hold this one, now it all looks clusterfecky.
  • Suárez over Savicevic I'm fine with, I can see the rationale even if some will refuse to. Tito needs goals and without Suárez he has about half as many.
  • Redondo starting ahead of Makelele looks a marketing move though. I can't see Redondo sitting deep behind Scholes and Vieira. In fact, it takes away from his game. Yes, he can pass a ball, but Makelele is the better DM and "Bentley engine" to rely upon against those three. I don't think him and Vieira in a pair work very well re: Scholes and Totti. Always though the idea was upgrading Vieira there and, primarily, avoiding Gio getting a CM who could dictate play. This though... really, really weird.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
  • Desailly in midfield ahead of Simeone didn't look necessary. If anything I rated Simeone's contribution going forward higher than Desailly's or Davids' and Gio looks more broken in half than before (and this is the third game on the trot I point that out)
Yes, but I daresay you've got a vested interest here in making the same point from our quarter-final match. I agree to a point that's it great to have all-rounders all over the park, but the most important thing is to have players who excel on executing the job in hand - i.e. defenders who can defend, attacking midfielders who can create, etc..

• Hagi on the right is really bizarre IMO, particularly with Bergomi instead of Petrescu. I thought him and Brehme where fine on the other flank and Nedved could hold this one, now it all looks clusterfecky.
The rationale is pretty clear IMO:
  • Maldini is going to be perceived as winning a defensive battle if he comes up against Garrincha never mind the mere mortals on this park. Nobody's going to believe that he'll get skinned on his outside. Therefore Hagi on the right allows him to cut onto his left peg - a move he was impeccable at - away from Maldini and into space in midfield.
  • Nedved's work-rate is useful in nullifying Cafu. It would be wasted in tracking Maldini all the way up the park.
  • Hagi played this very role against Redondo and his Argentina side before, see the post above. I appreciate they had Petrescu involved, but he's absolutely fine at inside-right IMO.

antohan

Ferrara is a defender who I rate highly but he only played 2 matches at major international tournaments between 1988 and 2000. Meanwhile, Sol Campbell was in the Team of the Tournament at both the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004. Campbell was one of the best centre-halves in the world during his best years, I'm not sure Ferrara was quite in the same bracket. I don't think there's a lot between them as Ferrara did very well with Juventus in the mid-90s.
Every draft there's a strange/bizarre development in terms of how preferences differ from the previous one. Here I think it's interesting how both finalists have a pair of stoppers in defence. feck playing the ball from the back.

In fact, from the start 've got the feeling it has all been about robust defences and midfields, never strikers, and settle it on the brilliant individual scoring. Is that what happens when Ronaldo doesn't play? All strikers turn shit and average?

Romario would be tonking that defence, whether I rate it or not, he would be ripping it apart, if only the three men behind him had the first clue what they are playing at.

Annahnomoss

Personally I think Maldini HAD to be stretched out wide. Now you are letting him operate as a CB/LCB/LB which he is the best in history at.

Maldini will be in the box for every cross and every attempt for a through-ball. Letting him play his best CB/LB role in the same game is really playing in to his hands.

Pull him out wide and he is stuck doing one role which at least means he won't be allowed to become a third centre-back as well as having covered the wide area.

I should however add that Bergomi - Cambell - Kohler will form an equally impeccable three man CB line which allows for Brehme to really play his best possible football. Covered completely defensively.

antohan

Yes, but I daresay you've got a vested interest here in making the same point from our quarter-final match. I agree to a point that's it great to have all-rounders all over the park, but the most important thing is to have players who excel on executing the job in hand - i.e. defenders who can defend, attacking midfielders who can create, etc..
Nah, feck that, it's gone, ages ago... You do look broken, I thought that then, Brehme left and Nedved on the flank with the defensive fullback helped, but now Nedved back on Brehme's side and Desailly have emphasised it again.

The rationale is pretty clear IMO:
  • Maldini is going to be perceived as winning a defensive battle if he comes up against Garrincha never mind the mere mortals on this park. Nobody's going to believe that he'll get skinned on his outside. Therefore Hagi on the right allows him to cut onto his left peg - a move he was impeccable at - away from Maldini and into space in midfield.
Do you need Nedved skinning Maldini? I think you just need him dragging him out and getting the right ball in for Romario. The worst thing that can happen to you is playing widemen who will drift centrally. Maldini tucking in is Romario's worst nightmare here.

• Nedved's work-rate is useful in nullifying Cafu. It would be wasted in tracking Maldini all the way up the park.
  • Hagi played this very role against Redondo and his Argentina side before, see the post above. I appreciate they had Petrescu involved, but he's absolutely fine at inside-right IMO.
I appreciate the defensive aspect, I noticed that. The day you determine where Nedved and Hagi play based on who marks Cafú is the day we have all gone bonkers.

You need Nedved pulling Maldini wide, period, there's no two ways about it in my mind. I'm not saying Hagi can't play there, I'm saying it's a feckup. A Petrescu would have helped keep the width, but you don't have one and freely admit you play Hagi there so he doesn't engage Maldini. Then how the feck are you playing Romario through on goal? Pull Maldini away and Romario will hand them two their arses on a plate.

antohan

Personally I think Maldini HAD to be stretched out wide. Now you are letting him operate as a CB/LCB/LB which he is the best in history at.

Maldini will be in the box for every cross and every attempt for a through-ball. Letting him play his best CB/LB role in the same game is really playing in to his hands.

Pull him out wide and he is stuck doing one role which at least means he won't be allowed to become a third centre-back as well as having covered the wide area.

I should however add that Bergomi - Cambell - Kohler will form an equally impeccable three man CB line which allows for Brehme to really play his best possible football. Covered completely defensively.
Exactly my thoughts above. Scary.

VivaJanuzaj

SWITCH: NEDVED AND HAGI SWAP

Good swap imo. Doesn't matter to me that one Hagi vs Redondo game, I'm more of a constant threat guy, and this looks much more threatening and defense-streching to me.

• Desailly in midfield ahead of Simeone didn't look necessary. If anything I rated Simeone's contribution going forward higher than Desailly's or Davids' and Gio looks more broken in half than before (and this is the third game on the trot I point that out).
  • Suárez over Savicevic I'm fine with, I can see the rationale even if some will refuse to. Tito needs goals and without Suárez he has about half as many.
  • Redondo starting ahead of Makelele looks a marketing move though. I can't see Redondo sitting deep behind Scholes and Vieira. In fact, it takes away from his game. Yes, he can pass a ball, but Makelele is the better DM and "Bentley engine" to rely upon against those three. I don't think him and Vieira in a pair work very well re: Scholes and Totti. Always though the idea was upgrading Vieira there and, primarily, avoiding Gio getting a CM who could dictate play. This though... really, really weird.
I agree with most of your points, but I don't completely agree about Redondo. I think he's being wasted as it is, since Gio's front four is so fluid quick and deadly, I'd want to see @Thisistheone 's defense acting accordingly! The way I see it currently, TITO is playing a high line of defense against Romario - the best striker in this draft, covered by Redondo who is amazing and very highly rated in the caf, but isn't the most mobile DM. He's mobility was always an issue...

That's why I think TITO should play a different formation, place the defense a little deeper, and drop Viera next to Redondo so either of them won't need to be too defensive, while not losing any attacking threat, with at least one of them constantly going forward in possession.

This way, Redondo and Viera minimize attacking threat from the three men behind Romario, and they keep roaming forward to help Scholes dictate the play. Much more balanced.

Annahnomoss

Wow. That is fecking impressive Gio, you deserve all the credit in the world for that. In general managers are too stubborn and die with their team but you may have just won this game by acting quickly.

Caf's own Mourinho.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Was waiting for the swap to happen, It is very close but I think TITO needed one of EITHER Viera or Redondo with Makalele holding. I think both is overkill.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Tito = Would have preferred Makelele there. Redondo is more fancy, but with Scholes/Vieira, there is no need for more ball passers there. Makelele would have give complete defensive solidity.

Gio - Again Hagi is more fancy, but you used Rivaldo in wings against me, but switched here. Any reasons?

Thisistheone

Redondo is nothing like Vieira and I really don't see much of an overlap at all besides them both being fantastic defensively as well as offensively - the fact is that they are two completely different players with Vieira best utilised as a box to box midfielder next to a holding midfielder, whereas Redondo IS a holding midfielder.

Just look at his MOTM performance against United against Keane in the Champions League - for years he was the holder for Madrid, playing behind Seedorf and the rest. In the 1998 Champions League Final he controlled the game from the base of the Madrid diamond formation as the deepest midfielder, in the 2000 Champions League Final he pretty much ran the midfield on his own as the deepest midfielder against Mendieta's Valencia.

He was really nothing like Vieira who needed someone like Petit next to him in order to play box-to-box. Redondo was a holding defensive midfielder who contributed offensively - which is the entire thing that made Redondo so special, he combined this dominating, deeper role with absolutely fantastic ability in possession.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Wow, some of these Redondo comments have been incredible. He was excellent defensively and nothing like Vieira.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Tito = Would have preferred Makelele there. Redondo is more fancy, but with Scholes/Vieira, there is no need for more ball passers there. Makelele would have give complete defensive solidity.

Gio - Again Hagi is more fancy, but you used Rivaldo in wings against me, but switched here. Any reasons?
The reason was:
  • Rivaldo and Brehme up against Amoros: it was all about targeting that flank. Whereas you had Desailly in the middle in what was a very strong spine, and frankly, I wanted to get Rivaldo away to a position where he could yield a greater influence.
  • Here I want him back in the middle, linking up with Romario :drool:, and targeting the weakest part of TITO's defence - his centre-halves.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Suarez is easily the worst player on the pitch. I understand the rationale behind playing him but if his career was to end today, I doubt he would get much credit in 10 years on. Nevertheless I preferred gio's overall set up more anyway. Romario will get him goals here while his defense is more than enough for a clean sheet.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Aye, I see nothing wrong with the balance in a Redondo-Vieira partnership. A very similar dynamic to Petit-Vieira really, which worked brilliantly.
Exactly, the thing with Vieira is that he needed that holder like Petit in order to play his best football - dominate box to box and get forward with that security in behind him.

Redondo was absolutely nothing like that, he was the deepest midfielder for Madrid and the one with that defensive burden.

Pippa

Redondo was too vertical to play as a lone holding midfielder, that's what made Seedorf and Karembeu so good at recovering the ball because they were the type of player to usually play either side of him. But someone like Vieira beside him is perpfect really.

Thisistheone

Wow. That is fecking impressive Gio, you deserve all the credit in the world for that. In general managers are too stubborn and die with their team but you may have just won this game by acting quickly.

Caf's own Mourinho.
Been done in drafts before. I made an early change in my first game as well. Subbing off Deco for Mascherano.

I agree with most of your points, but I don't completely agree about Redondo. I think he's being wasted
It's important to remember that Redondo is a Defensive midfielder who dictated things from deep. He's played behind the likes of Seedorf. Vieira is at his best doing the box to box role. Before this game it was Scholes who was my playmaker, but with Redondo coming in, doing that from deeper, Scholes becomes more of his 90's self, getting goals. Safe in the knowledge there is the brilliance of Redondo behind.

It's safe to say Redondo could play with anyone. Fabio Capello called him tactically perfect. He will know exactly how to operate here, surrounded by brilliant players. Makelele is a great DM but as Anto said, he's limited. He offers nothing outside of his defensive nous. Picking him would have been a negative move, a regressive step which would have surrendered the inicitive to Gio. Whereas Redondo offers the defensive nous plus the playmaking ability. A much more progressive step.

Thisistheone

Also, Montero - Ferrara have dealt with Romario once in this tournament already, for Cutch. It wasn't seen as a huge issue in that game. They spent the 90s together dealing with some of the best strikers around, week in week out. Batistuta, Signori, Ronaldo.

Ferrara was the best central defender in Italy during the mid 90s and would have been at the heart of Italy's defense in the 1998 world cup if not for injury.

Montero himself shouldn't be underrated - he was a fantastic defender for the great Juventus side of the 90s.

Tim Vickery on Montero –

“Uruguay's captain consistently gives a masterclass in the art of defending.

He can control the situation without having the ball, forcing the attacker down blind alleys, putting doubt in his mind, winning the tackle and then starting his side's moves with his superb left-footed passing.

In the manner of former Argentina captain Daniel Passarella, he is a wonderfully talented and intelligent footballer who is also prepared to be as hard as it takes.”
I grew up watching these two most weeks. Seeing these guys in action was an eye opener. Real defending, every trick in the book used to gain an advantage. But they had more in their locker than just using the dark arts of defending. They were both comfortable on the ball. All-round centre backs. Basically the type we don't see anymore, in todays game.

Last edited:

Thisistheone

@Thisistheone and basically everybody else, why no one commented on my formation for TITO with Viera-Redondo behind Scholes? Am I the only one who thinks that looks better?
Don't think it makes much of a difference on a formation graphic. It doesn't change their roles. Redondo is the DM, Vieira is in a in a box to box role. Scholes is getting forward and scoring goals, hopefully ;)