Redcafe's favourite Manchester United players.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not really, it was "list your personal top ten United players of all time. It could be the players who are the best, it could be the players who are your favourite, it could be the players who mean the most to you because of some bizarre reason that no-one else will understand" - only in this thread it was specified.
Misunderstood your original point a bit, so yeah. I thought that you said that it was just favourite, but you actually pointed out on multiple interpretations, so you're right.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
@BeforeKeanetherewasRobson enjoying your posts in this thread. What's your all time Utd team if you may?
best, based on who I've seen;

Schmeicel / G Neville Stam McGrath Irwin / Kanchelskis Scholes Robson Ronaldo / Cantona Ruud

I'd back that XI to beat ANY British team I've ever seen ....best LFC, Everton mid 80s, United '99.

Keane v Robson is one of those pub arguments and probably depends on your age. Only one I'm not sure about is Ruud but he was simply a goal machine. If I could cheat, I'd swap him for Best.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Of course it isn't. I even wrote it up in one of the drafts of his write up! Just copied and pasted it from another goalkeeper and didn't even think.

That reminds me, Peter became the first goalkeeper to score in the Premier League, anyone know the others?
Ben Foster scored for Watford at White Hart Lane.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
best, based on who I've seen;

Schmeicel / G Neville Stam McGrath Irwin / Kanchelskis Scholes Robson Ronaldo / Cantona Ruud

I'd back that XI to beat ANY British team I've ever seen ....best LFC, Everton mid 80s, United '99.

Keane v Robson is one of those pub arguments and probably depends on your age. Only one I'm not sure about is Ruud but he was simply a goal machine. If I could cheat, I'd swap him for Best.

I was thinking the other day about this. I'd have Schmikes as well.

But what does DDG have to do to surpass him? He's been here a while now and been impeccable?

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
No, but he conceded against Paul Robinson at White Hart Lane, which is probably what you're getting mixed up with.
Ah yeah you're right! I remember him giving a slightly embarrassed interview after on MOTD.

6. George Best

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
6. George Best
496 points

First Division Appearances - 361
Overall Appearances - 470
First Division Goals - 137
Overall Goals - 179
Position - Winger

So we welcome the last of United's holy trinity into the list. George Best falls just short of a place in the top five United players, but the fact that the Northern Irish winger scored so highly is testament to how highly rated the winger was over forty years after he retired from Manchester United.

When Best was just 15 years old, Sir Matt Busy would receive a telegram, "I think I've just found you a genius" came the message from United scout Bob Bishop who had been travelling around Belfast. Fast forward two years and Manchester United's future would be irrevocably changed as Best made his debut age just 17 years old on the 14th September 1963. Thus would mark his first appearance for the club that kick started an 11 year old career at Old Trafford.

The next year was his first as a full time regular and Manchester United won the league. Best finished that season with 10 First Division goals despite being only 18 years old for the majority of the campaign. Best would mesmerise defenders with his incredible dribbling skill, and even at an early age Matt Busby would put Best in intensive training sessions to allow this beautiful natural ability to flourish. It was next year in a Champions League game against Benfica in which he scored two goals when the press dubbed young Best as "O Quinto Beatle", he truly was a megastar of his day, his gifts shooting him to worldwide popularity.

Best would go onto add another First Division to his record in the 1966/67 season and would help United to the Champions League the next year. His spellbinding performances in the 1967/68 season would see him win the Ballon d'Or trophy as well as bagging the top scorer in the English First Division that year. Before the Champions League final, Best relaxed with "a particularly nice lady called Sue" and then would put United 2-1 up minutes into Extra Time. At this point Best was only 22. He seemingly had the world at his feet.

Unfortunately, after this Best would never again lift a major honour for the Red Devils. While his demons have been heavily publicised it's safe to say that he still contributed in a major way for Manchester United later in his career, despite the fact that he would never again hit these giddy heights. Still you don't sit at five on the all time Manchester United scorers list without having consistent excellent goalscoring seasons.

George Best's ability to slalom his way through big bruising defences, his excellent finishing ability and his insanely brilliant close control and dribbling style means that to this day, Best is a favourite at Manchester United. The Stretford End can be heard to this day singing songs about their hero and he will go down as one of Manchester United's most popular players.

A true United legend.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
And so we move onto the final five.

All are from the past two decades but that is expected.

In alphabetical order we have:

Cantona, Giggs, Keane, Ronaldo and Scholes.

I wonder in which order they will appear.

Romaleouf

For all it's worth, John O'Shea.... Honorary mention.

Goal Keeper ..... Yes
Central Defender ..... Yes
Full Back ..... Yes
Midfield..... Yes
Striker.... Yes

Scoring Crucial / Memorable Goals.... Yes
vs Arsenal
vs Liverpool

Sir Alex mentioned even when he left United, gutted when City pipped United to the title.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
For all it's worth, John O'Shea.... Honorary mention.

Goal Keeper ..... Yes
Central Defender ..... Yes
Full Back ..... Yes
Midfield..... Yes
Striker.... Yes

Scoring Crucial / Memorable Goals.... Yes
vs Arsenal
vs Liverpool

Sir Alex mentioned even when he left United, gutted when City pipped United to the title.
He come joint 50th. Him and Wes Brown were always favourites of mine.

6. George Best
496 points

First Division Appearances - 361
Overall Appearances - 470
First Division Goals - 137
Overall Goals - 179
Position - Winger

So we welcome the last of United's holy trinity into the list. George Best falls just short of a place in the top five United players, but the fact that the Northern Irish winger scored so highly is testament to how highly rated the winger was over forty years after he retired from Manchester United.

When Best was just 15 years old, Sir Matt Busy would receive a telegram, "I think I've just found you a genius" came the message from United scout Bob Bishop who had been travelling around Belfast. Fast forward two years and Manchester United's future would be irrevocably changed as Best made his debut age just 17 years old on the 14th September 1963. Thus would mark his first appearance for the club that kick started an 11 year old career at Old Trafford.

The next year was his first as a full time regular and Manchester United won the league. Best finished that season with 10 First Division goals despite being only 18 years old for the majority of the campaign. Best would mesmerise defenders with his incredible dribbling skill, and even at an early age Matt Busby would put Best in intensive training sessions to allow this beautiful natural ability to flourish. It was next year in a Champions League game against Benfica in which he scored two goals when the press dubbed young Best as "O Quinto Beatle", he truly was a megastar of his day, his gifts shooting him to worldwide popularity.

Best would go onto add another First Division to his record in the 1966/67 season and would help United to the Champions League the next year. His spellbinding performances in the 1967/68 season would see him win the Ballon d'Or trophy as well as bagging the top scorer in the English First Division that year. Before the Champions League final, Best relaxed with "a particularly nice lady called Sue" and then would put United 2-1 up minutes into Extra Time. At this point Best was only 22. He seemingly had the world at his feet.

Unfortunately, after this Best would never again lift a major honour for the Red Devils. While his demons have been heavily publicised it's safe to say that he still contributed in a major way for Manchester United later in his career, despite the fact that he would never again hit these giddy heights. Still you don't sit at five on the all time Manchester United scorers list without having consistent excellent goalscoring seasons.

George Best's ability to slalom his way through big bruising defences, his excellent finishing ability and his insanely brilliant close control and dribbling style means that to this day, Best is a favourite at Manchester United. The Stretford End can be heard to this day singing songs about their hero and he will go down as one of Manchester United's most popular players.

A true United legend.
Where do you start?!!! If you're miserable and negative, it'll be the women, the drink, the money he spent, how young he was when he left "top flight" football. Yeah, he could have achieved more, but surely if there was EVER a footballer where you should be "glass half full", it's George Best? :angel:

George Best lived life..... whatever it was, he went for it 100%. I'm with Matt Busby - "We had our problems with the wee fella, but I prefer to remember his genius" .....

He drank ("In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life")..... he had more than (a LOT more than) his fair share of women ("I used to go missing a lot... Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World").... he spent money ("I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered")..... and he was incredibly cocky at times ("If you'd given me the choice of going out and beating four men and smashing a goal in from thirty yards against Liverpool or going to bed with Miss World, it would have been a difficult choice.......... luckily, I had both.") :lol::lol:. (#alleged quotes).

BUT, he also played football to 100% ..... and like a god. When you watch videos of him, you'll see him swerve side to side, but look at how often he does it the SPLIT SECOND before the defender's tackle comes in, his control and timing were incredible.... he could turn on a sixpence.

Video of him versus Southampton... it's all good but has one of my favourite bits of control I've seen at about 2.18. The ball comes in, the defender's on his arse, Best seems to have the ball glued to his foot... I had to watch it a few times to see what he did.

He wasn't an out and out forward but was relatively prolific. He scored SIX goals in an Cup match! His goals/season were 10, 9, 10, 28 (!), 19, 15, 18, 18.... United's top scorer for 5 years on the bounce - anyone else done that? and post 68/69, he wasn't playing in a great team any more.

He was INCREDIBLY tough.... for those who saw the 60's/70's live, you'll remember that unless a defender shot/knifed a forward, he could pretty much do anything and get a yellow at worst. So picture defenders who walked with their knuckles scraping the floor, who retaliated first and were suddenly faced with a skinny prettyboy who took the piss.... they basically tried to kick holes out of him and Best took it all. Some of the tackles were bordering on GBH - this shows some good clips of Best including the famous goal when Chopper Harris tried to kneecap him (about 3.48 in)

Like Cantona, Le Tissier, Ronaldo, Messi..... he scored goals you dream of. Google/YouTube.... there are tons of them. I watched "An evening with George Best" on TV years ago... Michael Parkinson presented hours of "Best stuff".... it was wonderful. In it, Best was asked for his favourite goal - it wasn't for United or Ireland, it was for Fort Lauderdale. The legend goes that Best had said at halftime, I'm going to dribble through the penalty box and score. Yes, it was the MLS (so MLS defending) but still....?

In 1976, Best turned out for Ireland v Holland. Pre-game, a journalist asked if Cruyff was a better player ... Best laughed and said first chance he got, he'd nutmeg him. During the game he had the ball near Cruyff and as he approached, flicked it between Cruyffs legs and put his fist in the air :cool:

Final word to Busby who managed some of the greatest players Britain has seen... "every manager goes through life looking for one great player, just one. I was more lucky than most, I found two.... big Duncan and George".

As the saying goes.....

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Yeah, George Best is the greatest footballer of all time imo. It's the same in the Your Favourite United XI thread that went up today: I think I'm the only one who's picked him so far.

Shows the age of the posters for sure.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Put it this way, George would skin every other player in the top 100 and then turn and come back to do it again.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It hurts that Ronaldo will be above Best.

Edit:...but great thread Twigg, top work.
At the end of the day just think of it this way, how many more people have seen Ronaldo play since Best retired?

It's just what's natural. It is mad to think about but it's just what happens.

In 30 years I'll do the same thread and complain Ronaldo is only 7th and Xena Apple Xiam is number 1.

It hurts that Ronaldo will be above Best.

Edit:...but great thread Twigg, top work.
When I was scribbling about George, I noticed the similarities....

Winger, dribbles, skill to burn, pace, great shot, decent in the hair, strong, loves to take the piss, loves their image, adored by United fans, key in winning a European Cup Final, Ballon D'or winner.... who am I talking about??

Best on Ronaldo "There have been a few players described as the new George Best over the years, but this is the first time it's been a compliment to me."

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Its weird because i'd have him outside the top 50. Played during our first lull of the prem era and was a bit of a prick by all accounts. Never took to him really.

Obviously a great player but i never liked him. The opposite of welbeck in many ways!
Although outside the top 50 is a bit harsh, I echo the sentiment
Best should be no.1 and Kagawa and Petrucci should be nowhere near the top 200.

Thread is great but starting to depress me now.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, George Best is the greatest footballer of all time imo. It's the same in the Your Favourite United XI thread that went up today: I think I'm the only one who's picked him so far.

Shows the age of the posters for sure.
You're not alone)

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Well, most people never watched George Best "live" so its understandable that he isnt in people favorite XI.....yes you can read about him, even watch full games where he played but players that you followed live will always have edge no matter how good or how likeable George Best is, at least thats my view of it.

Mr Smith

Well, most people never watched George Best "live" so its understandable that he isnt in people favorite XI.....yes you can read about him, even watch full games where he played but players that you followed live will always have edge no matter how good or how likeable George Best is, at least thats my view of it.
Pretty much. I appreciate that George Best was a majestic player, but I don't have the kind of sentimental attitude towards him that I do for Park for instance, and there's no comparison between the abilities of those two players.

Still, it's nice to see him so high on the list given how few people on this forum did see him play.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Of course it isn't. I even wrote it up in one of the drafts of his write up! Just copied and pasted it from another goalkeeper and didn't even think.

That reminds me, Peter became the first goalkeeper to score in the Premier League, anyone know the others?
No but I remember Alex Stepney being our joint top scorer at Xmas the season we got relegated

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Do you have any links to extended highlights or full games with him in which he plays well? I still haven't seen a full match which showcases his ability to the full. I saw highlights of the 5-1 Benfica game but the way it was cut the only thing he did was score two goals - the second was class but would have liked to see more all round play. It did though highight Denis Law's ability on the ball - he dropped quite deep on occasions that game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Has to be Cantona surely? Though Keane might be a dark horse given the amount of Irish people on the forum.