RedCafe's Official Next Manager Poll

Who should be our next manager ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spock

Sure it is, what has Ferguson got to do with what manager I wish United for the future? I don't want attacking football because it's the "United way". I just want to be more entertained while watching the game than currently.

Noone is fecking talking about full throated attacking football, and I can't get my head around how you compare the Ferguson years of 2007-2009 with Mourinho's first season at his second Chelsea-stint, that wasn't even counter-attacking football, it was straight parking the bus. As I said, the club's goal should be to entertain the crowd, Mourinho's Chelsea team wasn't that bad he needed to approach the game that defensively, he still did, part of his mentality, you don't need the best squad to show entertaining attacking football is my opinion, Mourinho seems to disagree. And also, no, the other serious objections are his shambles of a youth record and his childish behaviour in press conferences, and I'm not talking about mind games or distractions, that's more than okay to me, I'm talking about being a fecking lunatic and firing your medical staff under the reasoning that Hazard is a diving cnut.

As I said, still voted for him. Simeone's playing style is no bit better and he's more proven than Pochettino is my reasoning, other canditates aren't interesting.
The claim that Mourinho is a bus parking disciple of Tony Pulis is ridiculous. He wins with the squads he has available to him, whether it's a squad that scores 100 goals or a squad that keeps clean sheets.

Our players have forgotten how to win matches. That has to be fixed first, whatever it takes, before we can expect them to play champagne football again.

Even Wenger ground out wins with defensive football before the champagne began to flow with Henry et al.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ferguson's behavior was not always exemplary. He shamefully accused a referee of being too fat, threw shoes at his own players and turned players against him before selling them.

Ferguson was a brilliant manager -- in my book the greatest manager/coach of all time in any sport with the possible exception of Wooden -- but his flaws were not unlike Mourinho's.

Our hole is deep. We must dig out of it with the best manager available. And one who actually wants to manage United.
Fergie didnt shame the club in the way Mourinho has done, the stuff you mention with players was in private - Jose shows himself up in public, at Real he acted pathetically on several occasions and even recently the stuff with the Chelsea doctor was in very bad taste.

And you say our hole is deep (which I dont agree with anyway), but in fact Chelsea have been far worse this season and who's fault is that?!

You also ignore the point about the youth - that is very important for United.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Right now what is absolutely imperative given the last few seasons is that we get in the closest guarantee to instant success as is possible.

Jose Mourinho is that.

GloryHunter07

• Simeone
  • Jose
  • Pochettino
Seem to be the only viable ones to me.

I voted Simeone even though im not convinced how attractive his football would be.

Spock

Fergie didnt shame the club in the way Mourinho has done, the stuff you mention with players was in private - Jose shows himself up in public, at Real he acted pathetically on several occasions and even recently the stuff with the Chelsea doctor was in very bad taste.

And you say our hole is deep (which I dont agree with anyway), but in fact Chelsea have been far worse this season and who's fault is that?!

To be clear, I agree there is a case against Jose Mourinho. He's no saint and there's no denying the trainwreck at the bridge this season.

But the case against Mourinho is overstated. Let's divide his history between pre and post summer 2015 as it's pretty clear that the case against Jose rests primarily on Chelsea's meltdown this season. His history prior to the summer of 2015 speaks for itself bar the occasional OTT reaction to bad refereeing and mind games against opposing managers. As we all know, Ferguson also reacted against what he considered poor refereeing and at times got himself mired into unseemly verbal warfare with opposing managers. What Mourinho never did, to the best of my knowledge, was to throw shoes at his own players and and banish players who write books he found disrespectful toward the club. (And then there's the whole business of the Rock of Gibraltar, which arguably led to the Glazer takeover. And how about Ferguson's absurd mishandling of Pogba? I can't imagine that happening under Mourinho.) Meanwhile, Jose picked up trophies everywhere he went, sometimes having his sides playing fantastic football and sometimes grinding out ugly wins -- much like Ferguson's sides.

But then there is the post summer 2015 Mourinho, which is a reasonable concern.

Jose's meltdown over Eva was outrageous. At first I thought an evil genius might be at work, or that the rumors of a love interest between Eden and Eva -- an interesting coincidence of names -- might have sent Jose over the top. But it was extremely bad form, no question. But it seems to be the case that many of the players, particularly the senior players, came back to training badly out shape and in a poor frame of mind, which sent Jose over the top. In other words, what happened before Jose's sacking wasn't entirely his fault and it may even be the case that the players themselvs precipitated the meltdown in the dressing room.

Whatever the truth of what happened at the bridge, it can't be the case that Jose has forever lost the plot and can't manage a top football club any longer. In a perfect world I too might prefer Pochettino (always been a fan of his) or even Simeone (an Argie Ferguson IMHO) but neither want the job nor have any reason to leave their clubs for United. Mourinho is the best man to succeed Van Gaal and he should have been appointed in mid December. We're fiddling while OT burns.

Fer

I truly that Mourinho will be our next manager and I am okay with that. I am not fan of his football style or that he doesn't promote young players compared with other managers. However, I respect him, and he is a great manager.

Unfortunately, the other possibility is would be Giggs or LVG finishing his contract. Even with bad results Van Gaal is still here, so anything can happen.

Simeone is a top manager, but somehow I prefer Mourinho over him. Mainly It would be nice to see Simeone in other top team to see how good he really is, but he has achieved a lot of things with Atletico de Madrid.

I like Pochettino's philosophy (I hate that word now), he is a manager who could make an interesting project at United. But he should stay at Tottenham next season and have Champions League experience. Maybe in some years, he could be the ideal manager for us.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
To be clear, I agree there is a case against Jose Mourinho. He's no saint and there's no denying the trainwreck at the bridge this season.

But the case against Mourinho is overstated. Let's divide his history between pre and post summer 2015 as it's pretty clear that the case against Jose rests primarily on Chelsea's meltdown this season. His history prior to the summer of 2015 speaks for itself bar the occasional OTT reaction to bad refereeing and mind games against opposing managers. As we all know, Ferguson also reacted against what he considered poor refereeing and at times got himself mired into unseemly verbal warfare with opposing managers. What Mourinho never did, to the best of my knowledge, was to throw shoes at his own players and and banish players who write books he found disrespectful toward the club. (And then there's the whole business of the Rock of Gibraltar, which arguably led to the Glazer takeover. And how about Ferguson's absurd mishandling of Pogba? I can't imagine that happening under Mourinho.) Meanwhile, Jose picked up trophies everywhere he went, sometimes having his sides playing fantastic football and sometimes grinding out ugly wins -- much like Ferguson's sides.

But then there is the post summer 2015 Mourinho, which is a reasonable concern.

Jose's meltdown over Eva was outrageous. At first I thought an evil genius might be at work, or that the rumors of a love interest between Eden and Eva -- an interesting coincidence of names -- might have sent Jose over the top. But it was extremely bad form, no question. But it seems to be the case that many of the players, particularly the senior players, came back to training badly out shape and in a poor frame of mind, which sent Jose over the top. In other words, what happened before Jose's sacking wasn't entirely his fault and it may even be the case that the players themselvs precipitated the meltdown in the dressing room.

Whatever the truth of what happened at the bridge, it can't be the case that Jose has forever lost the plot and can't manage a top football club any longer. In a perfect world I too might prefer Pochettino (always been a fan of his) or even Simeone (an Argie Ferguson IMHO) but neither want the job nor have any reason to leave their clubs for United. Mourinho is the best man to succeed Van Gaal and he should have been appointed in mid December. We're fiddling while OT burns.
Ive no idea why you are going on about Fergie and flying boots, Pogba etc - it has feck all to do with Mourinho acting the dick on several occasions. That and his non-existent record with promoting young players is why the likes of Bobby Charlton dont want him at the club.

And how do you know Pochettino or Simeone dont want the job? United would be a massive step up for either of them.

Nanotron

He should be judged on his managerial skills and not on anything else. I don't give a feck if he is a bit of a dick as long as he is what the club needs right now then he is the best man for the job.

Very much an overrated and misunderstood concept concerning utd. Bar the CO92 we haven't produced and integrated into the team anything special in that respect.
We bought our four most recent successes (R&R, DDG and smalling) ffs.
Pretty sure mourinho has bought young and gave plenty of youth a chance too.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
He should be judged on his managerial skills and not on anything else. I don't give a feck if he is a bit of a dick as long as he is what the club needs right now then he is the best man for the job.

Very much an overrated and misunderstood concept concerning utd. Bar the CO92 we haven't produced and integrated into the team anything special in that respect.
We bought our four most recent successes (R&R, DDG and smalling) ffs.
Pretty sure mourinho has bought young and gave plenty of youth a chance too.
I dont agree that its just about managerial record and its clearly you who misunderstands the history of the club - we have had a homegrown player in every squad for 60+ years, its an incredible record and I dont want to see it end. Its not just about stars and the CO92 was a one off, but even now I love seeing a local lad like Lingard get his chance and take it.
Jose has a poor record with giving youth a chance - thats because he has tended not to stick around too long anywhere so there is no point in having a long term plan for him.

Perhaps Mourinho will be willing to change his ways to become the type of manager we need, if media rumours are to be believed then he has gone out of his way to promise the board that he is ready to adapt to 'the United way' - we shall see.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Basically anyone not saddled with the post SAF malaise. They should've a coherent game plan and be equally capable of motivating and commanding the players' respect and commitment.

Spielmacher

The claim that Mourinho is a bus parking disciple of Tony Pulis is ridiculous. He wins with the squads he has available to him, whether it's a squad that scores 100 goals or a squad that keeps clean sheets.

Our players have forgotten how to win matches. That has to be fixed first, whatever it takes, before we can expect them to play champagne football again.

Even Wenger ground out wins with defensive football before the champagne began to flow with Henry et al.
I get that, but I just don't think our squad is that bad that we need to approach games defensively, but Mourinho probably still will.

Has to be Mourinho. Born winner.

Outside bet for Antonio Conte, and Simeone would be good if he could speak English.

Spock

I get that, but I just don't think our squad is that bad that we need to approach games defensively, but Mourinho probably still will.
I agree that our squad isn't that bad, but it definitely needs some reinforcing on the front line. Not to beat a dead horse, but I think we all agree now that Rooney is a spent force, but given his massive contract I have no idea what we can do about him. Can Mourinho inject new life into him? I hope so but maybe he's a lost cause now.

On paper, Martial/Rooney/Memphis seems like a pretty impressive front line but in reality it's been a horror show. The immediate question for Mourinho -- should he accept this mission -- is whether he commits to making those three work or whether he goes into the transfer market. I'm pretty sure he would.

But we also need a top CB, don't we? Of course we do and I'm sure Mou would agree.

Based on the Mourinho I've seen over the last decade I'm pretty sure he would see what most us here see, that we need a CB and a striker at the very least. Some here argue for a right winger though for me that's a lesser need as I can see how Lingard, Januzaj and even Memphis could develop into very decent right wingers (it's not working on the left for Memphis). Others argue that other positions needs upgrading. Point is, the squad really does need at least 2, possibly, 3 or 4, reinforcements.

Where we're weakest IMHO -- and I like to think I'm not alone in this assessment -- is in our (in)ability to create and score goals. Our defending overall has been outstanding considering the injury crisis, except for set piece defending. We do what LVG orders in the middle third, but we're woeful in the last third.

Jose would have to understand what he's getting into were to he to succeed LVG. He has to know that the club's supporters are desperate for attacking football. I actually have very little doubt that he would respond to the masses and give us what we want -- attacking football backed up by a solid back line and the world's top keeper.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's become a political choice as much as anything and I just can't see us having long-term success with a divided board room.

Giggs is a non-starter right now while Jose would be the short term, immediate impact but I think that, all things considered, I'd lean towards Pochettino. Which surprises even me as the allure of short-term success, after the last 3 years has had me in his camp for a while.

Poch just seems less toxic.

marlowe78

I agree that our squad isn't that bad, but it definitely needs some reinforcing on the front line. Not to beat a dead horse, but I think we all agree now that Rooney is a spent force, but given his massive contract I have no idea what we can do about him. Can Mourinho inject new life into him? I hope so but maybe he's a lost cause now.

On paper, Martial/Rooney/Memphis seems like a pretty impressive front line but in reality it's been a horror show. The immediate question for Mourinho -- should he accept this mission -- is whether he commits to making those three work or whether he goes into the transfer market. I'm pretty sure he would.

But we also need a top CB, don't we? Of course we do and I'm sure Mou would agree.

Based on the Mourinho I've seen over the last decade I'm pretty sure he would see what most us here see, that we need a CB and a striker at the very least. Some here argue for a right winger though for me that's a lesser need as I can see how Lingard, Januzaj and even Memphis could develop into very decent right wingers (it's not working on the left for Memphis). Others argue that other positions needs upgrading. Point is, the squad really does need at least 2, possibly, 3 or 4, reinforcements.

Where we're weakest IMHO -- and I like to think I'm not alone in this assessment -- is in our (in)ability to create and score goals. Our defending overall has been outstanding considering the injury crisis, except for set piece defending. We do what LVG orders in the middle third, but we're woeful in the last third.

Jose would have to understand what he's getting into were to he to succeed LVG. He has to know that the club's supporters are desperate for attacking football. I actually have very little doubt that he would respond to the masses and give us what we want -- attacking football backed up by a solid back line and the world's top keeper.
Our options with Rooney would seem to be
shifting his wages to China/MLS/Russia/Turkey etc. OR
buying out his contract OR
keeping him on as a starter OR
keeping him on, with his understanding, as a squad player

The easiest option you would think is the first one, but there are few if any clubs that will fork out that kind of money for a declining player, unless they want some expensive publicity. So we would have to sell Rooney to these clubs as a PR tool that would help bring exposure to their club and league.

The squad option would be insane considering the amount of money we'd be paying him and that his impact from the bench would be minimal. Since Rooney seems to need hundreds of minutes for getting back into any kind of form again he'll be useless as an impact sub/spot starter and, anyway, he won't tolerate sitting on the bench. The issue of Rooney seeming to be undropable as a starter pretty much kills that idea.

So if we can't sell, do we just hope that Mourinho revives his career as a starter? I don't think we should be taking that chance. Even if Rooney somehow comes back to life and scores 20+ goals, in all likelihood it will only be for a couple of seasons and we are back to where we started. As much as I like him, we are in a no-win position by keeping him on. He will get in the way of another striker taking the first position in the squad and we run the risk of watching him stink up the place for another season.

So what option does that leave us? Will we be forced to try to negotiate a buyout package with Rooney because we can't keep him but also can't move him?

The problem up front is that Martial is still very young. We know his talent but we need to bring in a reliable 20+ goal striker who can provide him offensive support and take the pressure off of him until he's of age to be the outright main player up front (though you can argue he already is). Memphis I think will come good, but again, he has carried too much of a burden since he's joined the team and needs to be in more of a support/secondary attack role.

Having said all that, I think the first player we need to sign is a top CB. This playing Blind on the left all season has been nothing short of ridiculous. The new CB needs to be a good handler of the ball who can make up for Smalling's shortcomings. Hummels was being name-dropped for a while last season. I don't mean we should get him but someone of that ability.

Fer

Mourinho is clearly the winner.
But, what do you think is going to happen with our young players if he is our manager next season?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Mourinho is clearly the winner.
But, what do you think is going to happen with our young players if he is our manager next season?
Let's not go overboard here. Under Mou, VG or anyone else, there is a little chance that so many youngsters will get games unless we have a big injury crisis; if there is, then they'll get their appearances.

Fer

Let's not go overboard here. Under Mou, VG or anyone else, there is a little chance that so many youngsters will get games unless we have a big injury crisis; if there is, then they'll get their appearances.
That's what think. I have been reading here that with LGV/Giggs our young players will play more than with Mourinho. But I think it's also the circumstances. If Rooney wouldn't have had the injury, or Shaw/Rojo, players like CBJ, Riley, Love, Rashford, etc wouldn't be playing as much as now.

pacifictheme

• Simeone
  • Jose
  • Pochettino
Seem to be the only viable ones to me.

I voted Simeone even though im not convinced how attractive his football would be.
Its pretty good at madrid. High tempo pressing. He seems to promote youth as well. Doesn't speak english though which is a shame. I voted for him as well.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That's what think. I have been reading here that with LGV/Giggs our young players will play more than with Mourinho. But I think it's also the circumstances. If Rooney wouldn't have had the injury, or Shaw/Rojo, players like CBJ, Riley, Love, Rashford, etc wouldn't be playing as much as now.
What team goes through the season without injuries? Van Gaal approaches a new side with the same ethos, trim the fat so that the youth players can fill in the squad roles.

Most managers including Mourinho like to have a larger squad with s few youngsters here an there, it's a credible concern. Still, mou is the man for me.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
That is some truth in it.

I also agree with your last sentence. If the next manager also decides to go with 2 injury prone CB's, one converted CB and McNair, and then five fullback options (Shaw, Rojo, Valencia, Young and Darmian) get hurt at the same time, then I am sure young players will get a chance. These young players weren't getting chances, not even in league cup, when any of those guys were fit. When it came to selecting a CB, Carrick was selected not McNair or some young CB from the academy.

You remember who started at CB against 'Pool in the famous Slippy game under Mou when they had many defensive injuries? A Chelsea academy product.
Kennedy and RLC also got starts this season.

Fer

That is some truth in it.

I also agree with your last sentence. If the next manager also decides to go with 2 injury prone CB's, one converted CB and McNair, and then five fullback options (Shaw, Rojo, Valencia, Young and Darmian) get hurt at the same time, then I am sure young players will get a chance. These young players weren't getting chances, not even in league cup, when any of those guys were fit. When it came to selecting a CB, Carrick was selected not McNair or some young CB from the academy.

You remember who started at CB against 'Pool in the famous Slippy game under Mou when they had many defensive injuries? A Chelsea academy product.
Kennedy and RLC also got starts this season.
Yeah I remember, it was Kalas. He played versus Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard. I hope that Mourinho becomes our next manager.

Most of the season we have been playing a boring possession football, also with some bad results. Even we have improved the last games, I still believe Mourinho could do great things here.

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
I'm still hoping we win the Europa League, get a top 4 finish and for van Gaal to show us what kind of a team he can create in his third year.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Watching Louis' babes got a person rather wary of José(not that I've ever been certain one way or the other about him). Louis won't be here long term but if he did somehow see out his contract than I expect Giggs to take over. Looking around Wikipedia, I see that Allegri was a good level footballer as well, although he was banned for match fixing in 2001. I've liked the guy since his Milan days to be honest and he'd be my first choice. Whether he's willing to leave Juve is another story.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massimiliano_Allegri

Unai Emery interests me as well but I see he got fired in Russia(exact circumstances unknown). He's done very well in Spain though and he'd be my outside bet.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unai_Emery