Reece James

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Couldnt find a thread on him but hes been great this season really pleased with how hes kicked on. Still so young. Will be a top player if he keeps it up.

Tapori

I really enjoy watching how he deals with tricky situations. Has bite to him and seems to have a good development in reading play and making the right choices.

AWB is going to have little chance of displacing him for England. Chelsea fans must be delighted with the lads progress.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I really enjoy watching how he deals with tricky situations. Has bite to him and seems to have a good development in reading play and making the right choices.

AWB is going to have little chance of displacing him for England. Chelsea fans must be delighted with the lads progress.
The best thing for him in terms of that england spot is hes good both ways.
Trent and awb are heavily one sided.
Not to mention hes the youngest of the 3 i believe.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I can't decide what I hate the most about this thread. The full stop at the end of the title or that the J in James isn't capitalised.

Reactions: duffer

unbeatabla

Supports
Chelsea
I didn't think he would take over from Azpi that soon, but boy he's been brilliant all season. That combination of physicality and technique is just beautiful.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Glad he's starting to get proper recognition, criminally has gone under the radar (outside of Chelsea) upto now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He was really good last season, had a bit of a wobble post-lockdown but looks like he's kicked on a couple of levels this season. He's slimmer and faster than he was last season, where I thought he was little too bulky for a full back.

We called him Cobham Cafu as a joke when he was lighting up the Championship with Wigan. He just might live up to that name :D

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Glad he's starting to get proper recognition, criminally has gone under the radar (outside of Chelsea) upto now.
Lads at the office laughed in my face last season when I said he would challenge TAA for the England spot in the upcoming seasons. He's already at a level where its hard to pick between them imo

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Best all around RB in the league. His delivery isn't quite as good as TAA's but is still excellent. Miles better defensively than Trent, though.

Chilwell has been fantastic, too. Feels weird going from fullback being our weakest position to arguably our strongest.

Tapori

Good player. I'd have him over Trent I think if I was England manager. I trust him more defending and his crossing is also brilliant
You'd ideally want James to develop so much this season that you could play Trent against teams that sit-back and play James for teams that attack more down the wings.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I can't decide what I hate the most about this thread. The full stop at the end of the title or that the J in James isn't capitalised.
:) Happy now.
Thoughts on the player ?

Tapori

Best all around RB in the league. His delivery isn't quite as good as TAA's but is still excellent. Miles better defensively than Trent, though.

Chilwell has been fantastic, too. Feels weird going from fullback being our weakest position to arguably our strongest.
What do you make of Lampard's tactics and player changes after that pin-ball helter skelter start to your season? Possibly reply in the Chesea thread.

Also, that Llorente jeering was top level trolling. The noise was hilarious, but why?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think he's tremendous... quick, skilful, good crosser and an absolute unit.

I don't think there's much between him and TAA

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
What do you make of Lampard's tactics and player changes after that pin-ball helter skelter start to your season? Possibly reply in the Chesea thread.

Also, that Llorente jeering was top level trolling. The noise was hilarious, but why?
Was annoying. The lad screamed like that when he went down in the game.
The helter skelter start was goalkeeping problems clearly.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I did think he was Chelsea’s best youth player in the current set up when I first saw him. Hudson-Odoi got all the plaudits at the time, but I think James is definitely the best you have.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Lads at the office laughed in my face last season when I said he would challenge TAA for the England spot in the upcoming seasons. He's already at a level where its hard to pick between them imo
I was mercilessly mocked as recently as a few months ago for saying he was better than AWB (who i rate).

If Southgate persist's with back three i'd like him to try Reece at RCB and Trent wingback, like it was with Reece and Lamptey at youth level, maybe (if Trent continue's underwhelming for England) draft the latter in to see if they can get their chemistry going again.

Last edited:

Tapori

I was mercilessly mocked as recently as a few months ago for saying he was better than AWB.

If Southgate persist's with back three i'd like him to try Reece at RCB and Trent wingback, like it was with Reece and Lamptey at youth level, maybe (if Trent continue's underwhelming for England) draft the latter in to see if they can get their chemistry going away.
I still cannot understand Southgate picking Walker simply for "pace."
James is the better defender at the moment at that position.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
The kid is special.

People always said he was the best Chelsea academy product for years. Wigan is a championship team but it’s still impressive that as a loan player he was named their player of the year, two years in a row, at the age of 17 playing fullback.

Okey

Brilliant young full back. Gonna be world class. Chelsea hit a jackpot there.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The kid is special.

People always said he was the best Chelsea academy product for years. Wigan is a championship team but it’s still impressive that as a loan player he was named their player of the year, two years in a row, at the age of 17 playing fullback.
Some Wigan fans regard him as their greatest ever player.

No mean feat when you consider they had a successful stint in the PL (and had a few cup runs winning one in that time too).

zakk88

Supports
Chelsea
I did think he was Chelsea’s best youth player in the current set up when I first saw him. Hudson-Odoi got all the plaudits at the time, but I think James is definitely the best you have.
Yeah he was always regarded highly in the youth set up, Reece won the academy player of the year ahead of Hudson Odoi and he was also captain of the youth FA cup winning team.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
With his combination of pace, strength and technique at 20 years old I wonder where he'll be in a few years. Might be wasted as a RB longterm and could transition into playing more centrally eventually as a CDM once he fills out even more. Maybe he hasn't got the skillset for it at all and I'm wrong, but he could be an asset there especially for England.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
With his combination of pace, strength and technique at 20 years old I wonder where he'll be in a few years. Might be wasted as a RB longterm and could transition into playing more centrally eventually as a CDM once he fills out even more. Maybe he hasn't got the skillset for it at all and I'm wrong, but he could be an asset there especially for England.
He played in midfield a fair bit for Wigan.

I do think his crossing would be wasted in centre mid though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He played CDM many times for Wigan, in fact I was browsing their forum towards the end of his loan spell there and some of them thought James' future home should that CDM role.

He definitely has the skills set and relatively minor experience playing there but if you ask him, he'd probably tell you to leave him alone and let him get on with becoming world class RB.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He played in midfield a fair bit for Wigan.

I do think his crossing would be wasted in centre mid though.
He has a good cross on him yes. Just as DM or box-box?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I was mercilessly mocked as recently as a few months ago for saying he was better than AWB (who i rate).

If Southgate persist's with back three i'd like him to try Reece at RCB and Trent wingback, like it was with Reece and Lamptey at youth level, maybe (if Trent continue's underwhelming for England) draft the latter in to see if they can get their chemistry going away.
He already better defensively than Trent, and although comparable, Trent output offensively is very hard to match. So I'd say a lot better defensively, and close but not quite as good going forward.

Fully agree with the bit about England.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He has a good cross on him yes. Just as DM or box-box?
I didn't really see that much of him at Wigan other than highlights.

It was a case of him being clearly the best player in the side and their manager wanting him as involved as possible, as far as I know.

I did check a few of the Wigan forums from time to time back then and the fans absolutely loved him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He played CDM many times for Wigan, in fact I was browsing their forum towards the end of his loan spell there and some of them thought James' future home should that CDM role.

He definitely has the skills set and relatively minor experience playing there but if you ask him, he'd probably tell you to leave him alone and let him get on with becoming world class RB.
Thanks. I'll leave him alone for now.

Jibbs

His sister plays for some mob up north. Hopefully she can come back home to Chelsea at some point.
He should have followed his sister up north to the most decorated club in the country instead he choose to remain at a club named after Babie's friend.