Ref-Mic Video... How on earth would it work in the Premiership?

klayton88

I can't see it working due to the sheer abuse refs get. They'd have to delay it for a minute and go overtime on the bleep button. I'm sure it's been discussed before as we see it used really well in Rugby and the players respect the refs. This is the first time I've seen it used in a football match and gives you an idea of the thought process that goes through the refs head, Mike Oliver for example "I hope Joe Hart's not here".

This same ref will soon be reffing in the Championship also.

DavidDeSchmikes

Imagine Mike Dean mic'd up.

Tbh if the refs are mic'd up, maybe it can reveal the abuse they get, and in turn encourage players to change their attitude towards them
Also it would be interesting to see their decision making process when giving fouls, offsides etc...

No doubt they'll be some pundit saying it will take away the passion and fire from the game....

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We've done it in Iceland, both recently and some 20+ years ago. Refs got so much abuse from players in the early 90's when they weren't carded for disrespect.

I think the most interesting bit was the ref being asked to check the monitor himself to "sell it". Just shows you there's no need for that time wasting as VAR can handle these calls on their own.

mav_9me

That was fascinating. Loved it.

Added bonus would be to cut down the players abuse of refs.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That linesman's voice :lol:

Be really interesting in the PL, and almost certainly change the game (for the better you would think).

meamth

Fascinating!

It's just Australian nature to explain stuffs in detail even in the moment of playing. :lol:

If this is applied in the premier league, all we hear is "for feck sake" "For feck sake", "feck offf"

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Can't be any worse than listening to Macca & Owen.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
This is a great insight into the world of refereeing. It's not simply about recognising and penalising fouls, it's man management and team-work.
In every refereeing seminar I've been too, we talk about selling decisions. If you're unsure of a decision but give it with full conviction, the players 9 times out of 10 won't question it. It's impossible to be 100% sure on every scenario in every match so you work as a team with your assistants and between you, you should get the vast majority of decisions correct.

How many times do you see a team holding the ball up in the corner seconds before the end of the game? As part of game management, the referee and assistant will give a free kick to the defending team if there is even the slightest foul by the attacker. This keeps the game flowing and there's less likelihood of a mass confrontation breaking out.
Throw ins that you're not sure of will almost always be given to the defending team.

I've heard people say that the Premier League assistants don't really do anything. I know one assistant personally and he has told me numerous times that he will be constantly speaking to the referee through the headsets and will give a foul without waving the flag. He has said that this is bad practice as it doesn't 'sell' the decision

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
We've done it in Iceland, both recently and some 20+ years ago. Refs got so much abuse from players in the early 90's when they weren't carded for disrespect.

I think the most interesting bit was the ref being asked to check the monitor himself to "sell it". Just shows you there's no need for that time wasting as VAR can handle these calls on their own.
I've thought this all along. The whole principle of the ref checking is questioning the VAR ref. Why should one be better than the other. This was a stupid flaw in the system, they should have rolled it out without this element.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Fascinating!

It's just Australian nature to explain stuffs in detail even in the moment of playing. :lol:

If this is applied in the premier league, all we hear is "for feck sake" "For feck sake", "feck offf"
Any decent referee will talk to the players throughout the match. To keep players inside, you need to be able to explain your decisions. They won't always agree wih you (a shock, I know) but they will be a lot more forgiving if you make a mistake. Ironically, I was doing a game a couple of months ago. I was explaining a decision to the Captain of one of the teams and missed a foul right in front of me as my head was turned as I was trying to talk to him. He saw the funny side bu it goes to show that sometimes, even the best intentions can cause you to make mistakes

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I can't see it working due to the sheer abuse refs get. They'd have to delay it for a minute and go overtime on the bleep button. I'm sure it's been discussed before as we see it used really well in Rugby and the players respect the refs. This is the first time I've seen it used in a football match and gives you an idea of the thought process that goes through the refs head, Mike Oliver for example "I hope Joe Hart's not here".

Maybe it's the cool composed aussie accent, but I quite enjoyed watching that.

I think this would help, rather than hinder. More information is always better when a decision is made against you.

kps88

Mic them up and let TV companies produce little highlights package like this after a game. Or only turn on the audio during key moments of the game. I would not want to hear the ref for a full 90 minutes as most of it would be boring normal stuff.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It would keep the refs honest and make them accountable but more than that it would lay bare the abuse they get from players and make them smarten their acts up. I see it as an absolute positive having heard it for years in rugby league.

Snafu17

What I get from that is that all referees should be Australian. It's the accent that sells it. You can't be angry at someone who calls you mate in that kind of calming tone.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
The ref is the one individual literally no one likes. Abuse from fans, Both sets of teams and the managers. This would humanise him and make everyone a little more understanding.

Matt007a

I think this is really good. The trouble with doing it over here is the lack of respect from the players. Every other word would be beeped out. I'd like to see a real clamp down on that kind of abusive behaviour towards the refs, but it seems the authorities don't have the balls to actually start booking and sending off loads of players until the message sinks in.

If every decision was explained over the mic during the game you wouldn't be sitting there wondering what an incompetent fool the ref was whenever he made a decision.

Ashley R1+O

"Should I sell it a bit, go to the monitor"

Cringe. Glad this guy has gone though. He's without a doubt one of the worst referees that has ever refereed in the league. It will be brutal seeing you guys go through the torture of the three years required for VAR to be implemented properly.

The only good thing about this video is how overly complicated they make refereeing seem. Surely they can streamline communication a bit better first.

stevoc

Dickheads like Mike Dean, Atkinson and Clattanberg don't need any more exposure than they are already getting. Micing up refs on national TV with millions watching would only attract even more pricks into refereeing who think they're the star of the show and not just there to ref the game.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
No doubt it was communicated to the players that the audio footage would be played afterwards. They had to behave, along with ref, not a realistic real life situation.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....r-potential-broadcast-of-refereeing-decisions

Old thread I know and did hunt for another one for a good 10 seconds...

Interesting this though, is welcome this.
interesting.

surprising to an extent, as refs never justify or provide reasoning behind a decision, so this would be a complete sea change.

perhaps it paves the way for a cricket style commentary on incidents. The important factors around that are they they have a process, and are methodical in how they review things.

i suspect it’s completely haphazard at the moment between the ref and VAR.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Would be an improvement but real-time audio is where we need to end up.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Good ref. Dont know why I find the accent so comedic, I've been watching too much Jonah Takalua

AgentSmith

Slightly separate point but more audio on the pitch would definitely help with the abuse / pressure refs receive from players.

No one’s risking a sponsorship deal because a mic catches them calling Mike Dean a cnut, no matter how valid a view it might be.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
I remember seeing a yt video where they trialed the ref being mic'ed up in the late 1980's. Shame they forget to tell the Arsenal players. :lol:

Toad

Slightly separate point but more audio on the pitch would definitely help with the abuse / pressure refs receive from players.

No one’s risking a sponsorship deal because a mic catches them calling Mike Dean a cnut, no matter how valid a view it might be.
This is the problem though, our whole squad will most likely get banned for the season.