Referee Darren Drysdale squares up to player

Bojan11

So what should the punishment be? I am surprised it has taken so long for a referee to snap, considering the abuse and pressure they get put under every match.

Obviously if it was the other way around, unless you are Joe Hart, the player would be looking at a few month ban.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

So what should the punishment be? I am surprised it has taken so long for a referee to snap, considering the abuse and pressure they get put under every match.

Obviously if it was the other way around, unless you are Joe Hart, the player would be looking at a few month ban.
Short ban and he can return. No big deal made by the player which is good to see.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Given the usual lack of accountability I'm surprised he got charged at all.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Mental. If the player did something worth that reaction... you’ve got cards in your pocket.

GazTheLegend

Referees are human beings too and we forget that. Admit it, would you prefer Drysdale to referee one of our matches against Burnley or West Brom or whoever, or Kevin Friend? Pierluigi Collina was the best in the world partly because he was so intimidating. Some refs allow our players to get the shit kicked out of them in games and I worry that they're just a bit of a pushover and don't want the drama.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I'm sure he knows he crossed the line but he does deserve a slap on the wrists. Not a massive deal, think the publicity might actually help remind players/fans again that they are only human. On a personal note I hope someone checks in with him just to ensure all is ok in his personal life, and offers him any support he may need if applicable. May have been a build up of other things that's caused him to react in this way

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What did the player say to him? I bet it wasn't "I disagree with your decision referee"!

Slap on the wrists, maybe dropped for a game or two would be my punishment.

SuperiorXI

I'm sure he knows he crossed the line but he does deserve a slap on the wrists. Not a massive deal, think the publicity might actually help remind players/fans again that they are only human. On a personal note I hope someone checks in with him just to ensure all is ok in his personal life, and offers him any support he may need if applicable. May have been a build up of other things that's caused him to react in this way
You're spot on here, I hope so too.

luck&neat

Slap on the wrist and move on. Everyone is capable of momentary lapses in judgement.
It's a wierd one. He lives round the corner from me and is a really decent fella. Been helping the vulnerable through lockdown, doing handouts etc. He's genuinely gutted he saw red but by all accounts players from both sides were acting up (resulting in cards being dished out) prior to this.

Guess we all have those moments.

Reactions: Cheimoon

tomaldinho1

Need to mic up these refs, not excusing his actions but they just get abused for 90mins.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Like everyone else says, there's no need for any severe punishment assuming it's a first offense. He obviously can't do it again though.

Cypriot

Not going to lie, I kind of side with him. Players square up and intimidate referee's all the time. If a player is allowed to aggressively react towards a referee, then surely they can take some back :houllier:. Can't count how many times I've seen a player tell a ref to "feck off" on TV, I wouldn't be pleased if someone did that to me in the outside world, even in the workplace.

Bojan11

Not going to lie, I kind of side with him. Players square up and intimidate referee's all the time. If a player is allowed to aggressively react towards a referee, then surely they can take some back :houllier:. Can't count how many times I've seen a player tell a ref to "feck off" on TV, I wouldn't be pleased if someone did that to me in the outside world, even in the workplace.
Phil Dowd was very good at giving abuse back to players.

dal

completely unprofessional from the referee but these things can happen, I mean they take a load of crap but it does question if they lose their impartially if they do this

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Need to mic up these refs, not excusing his actions but they just get abused for 90mins.
And I think that’s exactly why they can’t just immediately slap a mic on the ref for live TV. The stuff we’d hear for the first few months wouldn’t be acceptable on air :lol:

RashyForPM

Idiots on Twitter defending it, saying it’s good a referee is showing his authority over a player, and that he should be in the PL. If a player did that, he’d be looking at a 10 game ban at least, so that’s what should happen to this hardman wannabe.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aye, don’t mind seeing a ref getting wide. Especially given the amount of abuse they get and the highly charged atmosphere and emotional nature of the players around them.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We all see red sometimes. Obviously the way we react defines the moment.

But if a player did that and apologised they'd still he punished. Cavani apologised and took his post down instantly, still got a hefty fine and 3 match ban.

If a player, bar Joe Hart thanks OP, did that, they'd be facing a long ban.

How long did Di Canio get for his push on that ref?
11 matches.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Meh, they get abused all game.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Slap on the wrist and nothing more. The player himself has talked the incident down publicly.

AgentSmith

Referees are human beings too and we forget that. Admit it, would you prefer Drysdale to referee one of our matches against Burnley or West Brom or whoever, or Kevin Friend? Pierluigi Collina was the best in the world partly because he was so intimidating. Some refs allow our players to get the shit kicked out of them in games and I worry that they're just a bit of a pushover and don't want the drama.
Collina was intimidating because he was always in control. Plus the eyes.

This ref clearly lost control and it’s not something that can go unchecked.

No judgement though, it’s a horrible job with the abuse you get from every other person in the stadium. There’s nothing that can unite an opposing crowd of fans like the mutual hatred of a ref.

Officials are probably the only part of the footballing family who are enjoying stadiums being empty.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Referees are human beings too and we forget that. Admit it, would you prefer Drysdale to referee one of our matches against Burnley or West Brom or whoever, or Kevin
Friend.Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

If Drysdale can't keep his emotions in the check to the point he squares up to players, why would I trust him not to give decisions or cards based on him losing it too?

Judas

Open to offers
It's weird how double standard my feelings are on this. It doesn't bother me at all, if anything I'd have no problem with seeing it more, maybe in a less physical manner, but referees should be taking less shit more often.

GazTheLegend

Friend.Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

If Drysdale can't keep his emotions in the check to the point he squares up to players, why would I trust him not to give decisions or cards based on him losing it too?
As if referees don't do it anyway. I think Drysdale lost it because he COULDN'T give a card. Look what happens to referees when they send players off or give a penalty even when it's meaningless like in our 9-0 against Southampton

Baneofthegame

It's weird how double standard my feelings are on this. It doesn't bother me at all, if anything I'd have no problem with seeing it more, maybe in a less physical manner, but referees should be taking less shit more often.
Agree with both of these statements, he shouldn’t have been so physical, but referees take so much abuse from players that I don’t really have an issue with them giving some back.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Idiots on Twitter defending it, saying it’s good a referee is showing his authority over a player, and that he should be in the PL. If a player did that, he’d be looking at a 10 game ban at least, so that’s what should happen to this hardman wannabe.
It IS good, top level footballers are possibly the most cosseted, pampered arse licked people around, they have smoke blown up their arses from a very young age by everyone around them and dont get told no anywhere near enough. Im all in favour of anything that gives them a bit of a reality check and a two peg reduction. It might teach them a little humility and ground them a bit.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The ref needs to be sending himself off in that situation for two reasons:

1) It's the right thing to do.

2) A ref pulling out a red card and pointing it at himself has immense comedy value. Thus it's good for the long-term future of the game.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The ref needs to be sending himself off in that situation for two reasons:

1) It's the right thing to do.

2) A ref pulling out a red card and pointing it at himself has immense comedy value. Thus it's good for the long-term future of the game.
Have the assistant ref send him off, then he can refuse to go and send the assistant off. Then we can wait while VAR looks at it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need him in the PL. That said, I’m sure he’d love refereeing Bruno! :lol:

Denis' cuff

Have the assistant ref send him off, then he can refuse to go and send the assistant off. Then we can wait while VAR looks at it.
:lol:
followed by the obligatory handbags and pushing

not had a decent handbags session since Lehman and Drogba.

Oranges038

Players do this to refs almost every game. Give him a couple of weeks off, make sure he's mentally ok and leave it at that. Players just like to dish it out but can't take it at all.

I played a game where one of the opposition players was mouthing at the referee constantly about every decision. Eventually the ref got fed up and told him to "shut the f@#k up". He turned round and started again, "You're the referee, You're not allowed to speak to the players like that", genuinely don't know why the ref just didn't send him off, didn't even book him.

Stig

For the first time this year I refereed social touch rugby, and the only abuse / criticism I got was when the kids' team was playing and on every single play there was a barrage of criticism / comment from a couple of their parents on the side-line.

In the second game I asked the kids, aged about 11, who was the captain - and then told him to tell the parents that every time I heard a criticism, suggest or comment from any of the parents a penalty would be awarded against them ( the kids). First three times the parents went mad. Then the kids were yelling a their parents to shut up and it all went swimmingly.

Football needs 10 minute sin bins for yapping at the referee; that would stop it immediately.

Ref....................Beep - foul, free kick to red.

Player...............Not a chance I got the ball.

Ref..................Yellow. Go and sit down for 10 minutes.

It will stop ref abuse.

Simples.

Withnail

I was actually surprised the actual incident was so mild given the description.

Feck all to see here. Shouldn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Refs could do with a bit more of the Colina to be honest