Referee watch 2018/19

Normal service resumes...

So many poor decisions and so much inconsistency in what was being given for fouls and yellows.

After the breath of fresh air that was VAR and refereeing in the World Cup it felt like stepping back in time watching Marriner yesterday.

freeurmind

weak willed
Seemed Mariner was trying to make up for the handball the rest of the game. Didn't get the benefit of the doubt in so many decisions. Need to see our players continue to play on instead of staying down when decisions don't go against them.

Seanus

Had just put a post in the post match thread (not able to start a topic) saying pretty much the same, he was awful and if we had not won I am sure much more would have been said about him-he was garbage. Cliche but if a player made so many basic errors he would be dropped, no doubt he will continue.

Definitely time refs had to give post match interviews-not necessarily for a grilling just to explain why they made a particular decision. Retired refs now do this regularly on Talksport and Sky on Mondays and it gives a good insight into things.

Be honest-if you make a mistake, hold your hands up or try to explain what prompted the decision.

RyRy11

I thought Fred's yellow card for being fouled was pretty on brand for Mariner.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He was poor but I did wince when Bailly went in 2 footed and was grateful that didn’t get picked up on.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Fair play for giving the pen. A fair few useless cnuts like Oliver would have pretended like they didn't see it.

Kostov

The commentator on the channel I was watching was moaning about that Fred off the ball incident, asking for a red card, and Bailly did a two footer also. I think we shouldn't complain over this one.

Josep Dowling

Seemed Mariner was trying to make up for the handball the rest of the game. Didn't get the benefit of the doubt in so many decisions. Need to see our players continue to play on instead of staying down when decisions don't go against them.
This.

The most baffling one was booking Fred. Maddison synically ankle tapped Fred back, no yellow. Replay showed Marriner was looking right at the incident.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The commentator on the channel I was watching was moaning about that Fred off the ball incident, asking for a red card, and Bailly did a two footer also. I think we shouldn't complain over this one.
Think it was obvious Fred didn't see the player and was actually putting his foot out for the ball, also the Bailly challenge was fine, having rewatched the game this morning it was one foot going for the ball, the other was spread but not going for the ball.
Pereira getting booked baffled me, the ref seemed to give most decisions to Leicester, but got the pen spot on.

Kostov

Think it was obvious Fred didn't see the player and was actually putting his foot out for the ball, also the Bailly challenge was fine, having rewatched the game this morning it was one foot going for the ball, the other was spread but not going for the ball.
Pereira getting booked baffled me, the ref seemed to give most decisions to Leicester, but got the pen spot on.
I think Fred did that deliberately, but I need to rewatch it. Also Bailly's tackle was dangerous, you can't go two foot off the ground into tackles. I fear it might cost us in a different game.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I think Fred did that deliberately, but I need to rewatch it. Also Bailly's tackle was dangerous, you can't go two foot off the ground into tackles. I fear it might cost us in a different game.
Not going to argue the case but Baillys wasn't two footed, nor was it off the ground.
But I'll agree that tackles like that could give the ref a decision to make.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don't think he was biased like some of you say, but he seemed miles behind the ball all the time last night, was so weird. Times when he should be 10-15 yards off the ball he was 40. Looked completely unfit.

Not really saying he was biased, although he seemed to blow for all sorts of nothing fouls only by our players. He was just rubbish in general.

Josep Dowling

Mike Dean with an absolute shocker for Fulham. How can a qualified ref not see the foul on Schurrle? 100% penalty.

Shouldn’t be a referee in the Premier League. He has a clanger every couple of weeks.

That has to be the worst performance so far. Blatant penalties, red cards, yellow cards and fouls all just not seen. He just doesn't look fit enough to keep up with the game.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That has the be the worst performance so far. Blatant penalties, red cards, yellow cards and fouls all just not seen. He just doesn't look fit enough to keep up with the game.
Needs to be retired.

Abysmal refereeing performance.

Mee should be off for blatant handball and being last man, plus he should’ve given away another penalty when Lukaku rounded Hart. Bardsley should’ve been off for his petulant kick out that sparked Rashfords reaction.

Jon Moss should've been demoted a long time ago.

OldSchoolManc

Demotion or retirement for Moss.
Because he didn’t book him for the extra kick, which there was no reason whatsoever to do, can he be retro banned for that?

dove

For the league that calls itself as the best in the world, the state of the referees is absolutely shocking.

The Bloody-Nine

Abysmal refereeing performance.

Mee should be off for blatant handball and being last man, plus he should’ve given away another penalty when Lukaku rounded Hart. Bardsley should’ve been off for his petulant kick out that sparked Rashfords reaction.

Jon Moss should've been demoted a long time ago.
I don't agree with demoting shitty refs. Why should another league have to suffer his incompetence?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
John Moss, feck me sideways. What was that?! I don't think he knows either.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
When Lukaku rounded Hart and was fouled that should have been a red card and a penalty. Then the blatant handball when Lukaku could have been through on goal should have been a penalty. He didn't even give a free kick on that one. And Bardsley should have seen red for his kick out at Rashford. The only red card that the ref got right tonight was the one against us. Absolutely brutal refereeing. Of couse, our rivals always like to talk about all the calls we get and will completely ignore a game like today. As for Rashford, it will probably be a long time before he gets any game time again. What an idiotic thing to do...

sect2k

Moss with and early nomination for worst referring performance of 2018/19 season. Wonder if it will even get a mention, so far nothing.

el3mel

English referring is at its worst for several years now. No English ref in WC was just a continuation for it and it's still happening.

NinjaFletch

feck me he was terrible today wasn't he?

Rashford's red card and the pen were fair enough, but how he missed Bardsley's kick out, Mee's handball or Mee shoving Lukaku over after he rounded the keeper I'm not really sure.

OldSchoolManc

If he made those decisions against Liverpool, Rawk would have had one of those online petitions going and he’d have death threats galore.

Bolal7700

Moss was shite for both sides today. Far too soft on 50/50s and blatently incompetant descision making for pens/cards mainly because he can’t keep up with play. Referees need to be criticised/dropped the same as players are for there to be any change in the future.

FlapR

Easily one of the worst refereeing performances in a while. He missed so much and looked like he just couldn't keep up with anything. Just complete ineptitude.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I thought Jon Moss had a solid debut for Burnley. If he keeps it up Southgate will eventually look his way.