Referee watch 2018/19

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So any 50 50s or coming together are only awarded to Liverpool?
Forget about that, he's calling fouls for no contact (Dalot on Robertson) and not giving yellows for pushes from behind on counter attacks (Firmino on Rashford).

Atkinson is a homer ref, lost the plot in this game.

He's always been about the story rather than being a fair ref. VAR will retire guys like him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I've complained about it in the last two pages of the serie A thread :lol:

Salah's little push on bailly is a foul. Even a potentially dangerous one! FFS

Minimalist

This fella today has been awful. And I don't normally look to criticise refs.

Every big game Michael Oliver referees is decided by game changing decisions he gets wrong.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Every big game Michael Oliver referees is decided by game changing decisions he gets wrong.
Classic Oliver, thinks that his job is to give a performance. No, you're a ref, you're not supposed to be noticed.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
All 3 penalty decisions wrong today? Auba chance missed given offside also wrong. Lucky he missed anyway.

Salah is being encouraged to dive at will by the premier League. When you look at the dives players were punished for last season it's even more laughable.

English refereeing is the worst in Europe. VAR will be carnage if its actually implemented properly. You'd think half the referees will be forced to retire in embarrassment.

All 3 penalty decisions wrong today? Auba chance missed given offside also wrong. Lucky he missed anyway.

Salah is being encouraged to dive at will by the premier League. When you look at the dives players were punished for last season it's even more laughable.

English refereeing is the worst in Europe. VAR will be carnage if its actually implemented properly. You'd think half the referees will be forced to retire in embarrassment.
Mane should have been off before the first goal.

NinjaFletch

He looks quite funny with his little paunch and manboobs.

Overindulged at Christmas?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It amazes me that Pogba gets a talking to after Shelvey raked down the back of his leg just then.

If the referee does his job, that gets negated.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's difficult. Generally I like that he's letting things go, but that's just no the way the sport is these days. Then he books Lindelof for the crime of receiving a massive shove. So weird.

Irrational.

So it's not only Premier League refs that are totally inept.

Even with the help of VAR, Kimpembe tonight should've been sent off twice tonight for a second booking. Yet he was the game changer.

Ref was happy to dish out bookings for every other foul though. Fecking fed up of refs screwing us at this stage. Utter bullshit.

PeteManic

He won't get another CL game this season.

UEFA don't like high carded games. They especially don't like marquee players not playing in big games (i.e. Pogba).

bdecuc

So it's not only Premier League refs that are totally inept.

Even with the help of VAR, Kimpembe tonight should've been sent off twice tonight for a second booking. Yet he was the game changer.

Ref was happy to dish out bookings for every other foul though. Fecking fed up of refs screwing us at this stage. Utter bullshit.
Yeah the Kimpembe decisions were odd. Yellows all round except the crucial ones to put PSG down to 10.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Yeah the Kimpembe decisions were odd. Yellows all round except the crucial ones to put PSG down to 10.
He chickened out of sending Kimpembe off. Made a problem for himself with showing everyone a yellow early on. Then couldn't be consistent.

Irrational.

He chickened out of sending Kimpembe off. Made a problem for himself with showing everyone a yellow early on. Then couldn't be consistent.
I hope he gets called out on it, but we all know he won't because UEFA are cowards just like the FA that put refs on a pedestal.

RedDevilRoshi

I admit that we didn’t play well but this guy was fecking awful!

He let Kimpembe away countless times and seemed to take pity whenever a PSG player began diving around like Tom Daley.

We say the refs in England are terrible but this guy here took it to a whole new level.

Made Martin Atkinson look like Pierluigi Collina

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Can't really argue with the second yellow for Pogba. The Kimpembe decisions were bizarre, not even free kicks!

But the worse thing he did was get the yellows out too early. Set the standard and ruined the flow of the game. Also made a red card inevitable.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Fact is that in the cl most of the decisions go to the bigger team . We are now a second tier European team . Most of these decisions go against PSG if they play Barca or real

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’ll quote my post in the post match thread as it’s just buried there

Just more on the ref point (not my only reason for us losing by any stretch. Kneejerkers check my last post).

He played perfectly into PSG’s game. We wanted to impact early and in the 2nd minute went to break, only to be professionally fouled. No card of course because refs like to make the rules up to ‘keep control of the game’.

From then on we got fouled in this way in midfield multiple times with only one card being given against them, if I remember right. Meanwhile the ref blows every time they throw themselves to the ground.

It completely ruined our game plan of an energetic start. Of course then they wanted to play, once we were tired and frustrated, and had been very unfortunate with the injuries. All of a sudden the ref is saying we’re going down to easily when we’re clearly fouled. This happens multiple times too. Of course the fella who should have had 4 yellow cards scored.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
CL refereeing is mental. How do they fall for all those dives and fail to give actual fouls? There's just zero flow to the game. Feels like the ball is hardly in play.

All is forgiven for the PL referees, it could be much worse.

Problem is the game is so much faster now, the players, the tactics and even the ball they use. Meanwhile the referees and linesmen are still refereeing the game the way they were in the 50s. They need help.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I think for the most part the referees in the PL get too much stick, and too many people seem to believe that they are worse than referees elsewhere. It's an impossible job with and without VAR, and football overall would do well to focus less on decisions that can go either way and more on the actual football.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's funny the cognitive bias of fans who ignore every referee decision that was in their favour (there many yesterday) and use the couple that weren't to paint the refereeing performance as completely against them.

RedDevil@84

CL refereeing is mental. How do they fall for all those dives and fail to give actual fouls? There's just zero flow to the game. Feels like the ball is hardly in play.
Don't they do the same in other leagues in Europe. Whenever I see La Liga matches, I see players going down at the slightest of pulls or touches and the ref blows.

Idxomer

How can anyone still be against var after seeing these referees get away with such blatant mistakes over and over again.

Lukeinchina

Thes worst eason from Premier League referees I remember in years.
Genuine question, is there anyone we rate?
Moss is fat, old, shit.
Oliver makes it up as he goes along.
Mariner seems weak.
Mike Dean has occasional moments of competence but only while being the most punchable cnut in the Mike Dean show.

Anyone decent?

Last edited:

Aloysius's Back 3

How can anyone still be against var after seeing these referees get away with such blatant mistakes over and over again.
Exactly - referees are making atleast 2 mistakes a game.

Teams should be allowed a restricted amount of VAR's a half (maybe one a half for each team?) - this will make a referee mistake only happen at max once a game.

SirAnderson

Exactly - referees are making atleast 2 mistakes a game.

Teams should be allowed a restricted amount of VAR's a half (maybe one a half for each team?) - this will make a referee mistake only happen at max once a game.
The biggest problem is not making mistakes per say, but its costly ones, game changing ones.
If a ref makes a mistake when it should be a throw in the other way, or a goal kick instead of a corner or vice-versa (assuming the corner doesn't lead to a goal), I can accept that, but when it literally robs the other team because it changes the entire game or result its just unthinkable that var isn't in existence in the PL yet.

If I were to choose between "sucking the life out of the game" or being "robbed every game" I would choose the so-called sucking life out of the game, at least it will be a fair-life sucking game that a blatantly robbed unfair game.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Busquets has more lives than a witch's cat. No idea how he wasn't sent off, especially for that handball towards the start of the second half.

Idxomer

European referees are shit just like the ones in the PL.

Can't wait for football without refs.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Busquets should have been sent off on three seperate occasions. And those weren't even debatable decisions.
It's the fact he then called handballs against us even when they were marginal at best, and then booked our players for very little.

One aspect where I hate the Champions League, we never have the best of the referees bad performance.