Referees who are/were actually good at their job

Haddock

Clattenburg and Howard Webb were very very good at their jobs despite what the majority of premier league fans believe.

I remember Bibiana Steinhaus being quite competent but I confess it's been a few years.

I have also come to the sobering conclusion that the absolute cnut Cunyet Cakir is not that bad.

Collina definitely promoted himself and his image the most.

SirAF

Ageist
Clattenburg and Howard Webb were very very good at their jobs despite what the majority of premier league fans believe.

I remember Bibiana Steinhaus being quite competent but I confess it's been a few years.

I have also come to the sobering conclusion that the absolute cnut Cunyet Cakir is not that bad.

Clattenburg USED to be good, then he started believing his own hype.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I hazily remember Sandor Puhl & Kim Milton Nielsen being good.

SER19

Clattenberg and Webb were both talented refs but both succumbed to external pressure. Clattenburg by the 'celebrity' of it, webb by a years long campaign to prove he didn't favour united after a few decisions in our favour.

At the other end, Michael Oliver shouldn't be involved in top level football. Nor should Craig pawson, kavanagh, or the bald guy who's name escapes me

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Webb was decent.

Clattenburg was abysmal one of the worst referees in the history of football, if only they'd been able to make his sacking hold up in 2008. He should also have been sacked for his "criminal" performance in Liverpool Everton game in 2007!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Terry helibron. Football league ref in the 90s who for some reason never got called up to premier league. Reffed 1999 league cup final and a few play off finals.

I'd say for last 20 years Paul Durkin was pretty good.

Collina obviously had the image and was a good ref but think he was overrated, ask Everton fans about his decision making.

RedDevilRoshi

Pierluigi Collina is the only standout for me. Howard Webb was decent but that’s as far as that goes.

Spaghetti

Mom's
A lot of Colina shouts. Didn’t he get constant stick and, eventually, relegated in Italy?

I seem to remember them not understanding why he was so highly rated abroad.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Impossible to intimidate Collina; the man just gives off those serial killer vibes... creepy asf

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Mike Dean. I remember him refereeing in 2000 in Arsenal game (vs Liverpool?).
I assume he is the longest serving referee in the world.

GiddyUp

Every ref has disappointed me. If I remember correctly Collina refereeing Everton's champions league qualifier was very fishy

Cabin Clown

Clattenberg and Webb were both talented refs but both succumbed to external pressure. Clattenburg by the 'celebrity' of it, webb by a years long campaign to prove he didn't favour united after a few decisions in our favour.
Was going to post exactly this. Always thought Webb was very good, but yeah.
Clattenburg was a total diva in the end. Should have been a Spice Girl.
David Ellery always seemed good. Maybe Mike Riley?
My recollection of Ellery was his ridiculous decisions in the Liverpool match at Anfield in the treble season.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Was going to post exactly this. Always thought Webb was very good, but yeah.
Clattenburg was a total diva in the end. Should have been a Spice Girl.

My recollection of Ellery was his ridiculous decisions in the Liverpool match at Anfield in the treble season.
He nearly always seemed good? I didn't tie those to Ellery. Very well-remembered:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's almost as if refereeing is really hard and that we underestimate how difficult it is.
Yep. If we can only name a couple of referees who aren't shit then the most likely reason is that we're massively underestimating how difficult a job it is, not that the football near exclusively hires terrible people for the job.

manutddjw

Has the woman linesman in the premier league ref’d a game? Even before VAR, I remember her being one of the best and even upon replay she seemed to always get it right, but I don’t remember her actually reffing a game.

Collina is the best and of course our boy Howard Webb deserves praise.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Nicola Rizzoli was a good ref. Refereed the 2014 World Cup final.

Spaghetti

Mom's
He nearly always seemed good? I didn't tie those to Ellery. Very well-remembered:

Didn’t Elleray send Keane off a few times too? 4 times I think.

I’m sure he was a United fan and gave dodgy decisions against us to try and not seem biased, but I might have made that up.

OleBoiii

Yep. If we can only name a couple of referees who aren't shit then the most likely reason is that we're massively underestimating how difficult a job it is, not that the football near exclusively hires terrible people for the job.
Bingo.

tylerd

Markus Merk, Urs Meier, Lubos Michel... to name a few.

Collina stands out. I don't think he was ever disliked even in Italy, but i do wonder with older referees how they would fare in the age of multi-angle replays working out whether the player's boot touched the ball by 1/100th of an inch or not.

England has had a few strong, consistent referees over the years. Poll, Webb and Clattenburg were all very good but suffered under the spotlight as their profile grew. Now it seems referees are under the spotlight from day 1 and they're all useless.

Was good at his job as Tottenham fan.
I never felt Dean favours a club but he definitely has a few he hates, us clearly being one of them.

Uniquim

He got sent home during he World Cup during the group stage for his awful refereeing.
He also refereed into the Champions League semi finals several times after that World Cup. He's also refereed a Champions League final in 2017.

It's not like he's a shit referee because he had a poor game that one time at the World Cup. He's still frequently used both by UEFA and Bundesliga.

Remember that time Vidic got sent off against Liverpool? Doesn't mean he was a shit defender.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A lot of Colina shouts. Didn’t he get constant stick and, eventually, relegated in Italy?

I seem to remember them not understanding why he was so highly rated abroad.
He was relegated due to sponsorship conflicts I thought? He retired shortly after