'Refusing' to sell a player who wants to leave...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I find it strange that there is an implication that contracts are becoming more meaningless in a time where it is costing more and more ridiculous sums of money to have them broken. For me, that's the point, not forcing an unhappy player to play for you for the remaining 3 years.
And what people told you is that Levy is only saying : "Eric won't go for a price that you are comfortable to pay, now make that outrageous bid or go home". "No price" is almost inexistant and definitely doesn't apply to Dier.

In the most extreme cases like Berahino you have to wonder how the player acted, if he handled himself respectfully.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And what people told you is that Levy is only saying : "Eric won't go for a price that you are comfortable to pay, now make that outrageous bid or go home". "No price" is almost inexistant and definitely doesn't apply to Dier.

In the most extreme cases like Berahino you have to wonder how the player acted, if he handled himself respectfully.
That's probably true.

Just that Levy himself didn't conduct himself like that when he extracted record fees for Bale and Berbatov. He is still able to get a good deal for his club through negotiation, when his player has made it clear he wants out. Actually, I think he took the same stance with Berba.

Maybe that's what is happening with Verratti too, or happened with Thiago Silva when Barca came. If I recall, the Sheiks threatened to go after Messi if Barca didn't back off. And tbh everyone can see Verratti is being kept against his will, and it isn't about money with the Sheiks. They almost literally have an unlimited amount.

Dr. J

Never implied.
It tends to be the case. When the money is right and players want to go, deals tend to pretty smoothly.

When players kick up a fit it's usually because their club finds it tough to find a suitable replacement, don't want to sell to a direct rival, or the money isn't right.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's probably true.

Just that Levy himself didn't conduct himself like that when he extracted record fees for Bale and Berbatov. He is still able to get a good deal for his club through negotiation, when his player has made it clear he wants out. Actually, I think he took the same stance with Berba.

Maybe that's what is happening with Verratti too, or happened with Thiago Silva when Barca came. If I recall, the Sheiks threatened to go after Messi if Barca didn't back off. And tbh everyone can see Verratti is being kept against his will, and it isn't about money with the Sheiks. They almost literally have an unlimited amount.
Verratti knows that Barcelona and Juventus have wanted him for at least 3 or 4 seasons, he signed his contracts knowing that, so he can pretend that he is kept against his will but the reality is that it's his fault and no one else's. PSG can't replace him, if he leaves they will have to change all their plans, those changes have a price that Barcelona and Verratti aren't able or willing to pay.

PSG shouldn't make any concessions and I'm saying that despite the fact that I believe that they should let him go. Not because he deserves it but because he is acting like a jerk.

itso 7

I'm not proposing they are paid Like month to month contractors, and I agree it works both ways.

Generally, it seems to work easier the other way too. I rarely see players refusing to leave on the basis that 'they have a contract so I think I'll stay thanks'. Usually it's 'the club have made it clear I'm not part of their plans' so they move on.

I think the financial compensation clubs receive is being overlooked too. I have not, for one second, proposed a situation where players just walk out when they want. My ONLY objection is to a stance of 'he is simply not for sale, we will not entertain any offers, he has a contract and must stay'. My view is that if a player doesn't want to be there, a club should let him go for what they believe is the right price. Sometimes that price is £50m for a young centre half (John Stones) - which is better than, 'nah, you're going nowhere'.
Nah you are confusing posturing with actual policy, Levy may have said 'not for sale at any price' but that was just designed to gauge the intent of the other two parties - player and buying club, imo. If Dier really wanted to leave he would raise hell and if we wanted him badly we would offer a figure that Levy can work with. The problems arise when players overestimate the lengths to which their suitors would go to to buy them like Berahino did back then and proceed to burn bridges at the club.

itso 7

I'm not proposing they are paid Like month to month contractors, and I agree it works both ways.

Generally, it seems to work easier the other way too. I rarely see players refusing to leave on the basis that 'they have a contract so I think I'll stay thanks'. Usually it's 'the club have made it clear I'm not part of their plans' so they move on.

I think the financial compensation clubs receive is being overlooked too. I have not, for one second, proposed a situation where players just walk out when they want. My ONLY objection is to a stance of 'he is simply not for sale, we will not entertain any offers, he has a contract and must stay'. My view is that if a player doesn't want to be there, a club should let him go for what they believe is the right price. Sometimes that price is £50m for a young centre half (John Stones) - which is better than, 'nah, you're going nowhere'.
Nah you are confusing posturing with actual policy, Levy may have said 'not for sale at any price' but that was just designed to gauge the intent of the other two parties - player and buying club, imo. If Dier really wanted to leave he would raise hell and if we wanted him badly we would offer a figure that Levy can work with. The problems arise when players overestimate the lengths to which their suitors would go to to buy them like Berahino did back then and proceed to burn bridges at the club.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'd guess that Levy knows very well the intent of the other parties and also knows that Pochettino would not sanction selling Dier. So if he said 'not for sale at any price', he'll stick to it come hell or high water.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Personally, I have some sympathy for players who want to leave against a club's wishes, but I don't support it without some consequences. I believe there should be avenues made available for players though and have tried to think of a way it could work. I thought about the idea of a player buying out the remaining sums he's owed on his contract to the club during the mercato to become a free-agent but then it leaves the club in a very vulnerable position. What I like about the idea is that it's a decision that will be costly to the player, it would be much more deterring than just going to the media and putting pressure on the club to release/sell you but if a player actually goes through with it, then the club gets a large sum of money that they no longer have to pay to the player, but will not receive a transfer sum with potential clauses that could affect future transfers of the players bringing extra revenue to the club (such as a 20% profit from the next transfer, or an extra sum for performance bonuses).

But it would give the player extra leverage when discussing with their clubs. They could show the intention they want to leave, negotiate with the club that it's in the interest of both parties to work out a transfer, and if all else fails and the player has the money necessary, he can buy out his contract and leave the club in either of the transfer windows.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Personally, I have some sympathy for players who want to leave against a club's wishes, but I don't support it without some consequences. I believe there should be avenues made available for players though and have tried to think of a way it could work. I thought about the idea of a player buying out the remaining sums he's owed on his contract to the club during the mercato to become a free-agent but then it leaves the club in a very vulnerable position. What I like about the idea is that it's a decision that will be costly to the player, it would be much more deterring than just going to the media and putting pressure on the club to release/sell you but if a player actually goes through with it, then the club gets a large sum of money that they no longer have to pay to the player, but will not receive a transfer sum with potential clauses that could affect future transfers of the players bringing extra revenue to the club (such as a 20% profit from the next transfer, or an extra sum for performance bonuses).

But it would give the player extra leverage when discussing with their clubs. They could show the intention they want to leave, negotiate with the club that it's in the interest of both parties to work out a transfer, and if all else fails and the player has the money necessary, he can buy out his contract and leave the club in either of the transfer windows.
The purchasing club will simply give it to them.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The purchasing club will simply give it to them.
Couldn't there be a way to regulate and prevent that though? I follow the NBA and sometimes you have players taking a pay-cut because they have a soft salary cap in the league, and you wonder if maybe the players get paid under-the-table for taking an official pay-cut, but I'm sure there's a way to keep track of that and sanction any violations.

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
I can see a situation where players will sign weekly or monthly contracts and hire themselves out for whoever can pay the most Sounds crazy i know but who would have thought 20 years ago todays situation could have arisen. The players hold all the cards now and for the sake of the game I think this needs to be looked at again. My word is my bond is a thing of the past.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm fine with it. The player signed a contract and he should honor it.

On the other hand, a player that leaves doesn't get a loyalty bonus. I'm also fine with managers who sell players that want to leave.

The players that stop training and giving it all (Payet etc) I'm absolutely not fine with. Those players should get the most scrutiny of all.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I can see a situation where players will sign weekly or monthly contracts and hire themselves out for whoever can pay the most Sounds crazy i know but who would have thought 20 years ago todays situation could have arisen. The players hold all the cards now and for the sake of the game I think this needs to be looked at again. My word is my bond is a thing of the past.
I doubt players would take that risk. Think about it, one major injury and all of the sudden you could be out for months without pay, and then it'd be extra difficult to get back to a good contract right away. It'd be a big risk.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
People often speak of 'player power' like it's a bad thing. The power people are actually referring to is power over their own lives and careers! Who should have it? All this 'players are too powerful' stuff the old school say because a player left to work elsewhere (and left a handsome sum behind by way of a transfer fee) I don't get. They aren't cattle where their 'owners' should have all power over them.

Miscemayl

People often speak of 'player power' like it's a bad thing. The power people are actually referring to is power over their own lives and careers! Who should have it? All this 'players are too powerful' stuff the old school say because a player left to work elsewhere (and left a handsome sum behind by way of a transfer fee) I don't get. They aren't cattle where their 'owners' should have all power over them.
They are not cattles as cattles don't have a choice. Players do. Every single one of those contracts are signed by the players themselves willingly.

They chose to sell their services for the contracted period of time in return for guaranteed income over the period.

And if later on they regret it then tough, they agreed to the contract (most likely getting more favourable terms because of the length of the contract). You can't happily reap the benefits and then complain when you need to provide your side of the bargain.

This isn't like a normal salary job because most of us do not get guaranteed income for a contracted period. Companies can fire employee with minimal notice. Players would riot if clubs could just fire them if they got injured.

Also, most high paying jobs have non competitive clauses. Garden leave is effectively sitting on the bench to rot and that's actually common practice. Footballers are not treated like slaves - they are in fact very privileged. Not many other industries guarantee you future income regardless of how well or poorly you perform.

Last edited:

kundalini

I don't have the slightest problem with clubs refusing to sell a player. So what if the player wants to leave ? Nearly all of us have things we want but aren't in a position to have for one reason or another.

If you want to join Real Madrid or Man United, don't sign a 5 year deal at Spurs. At the end of your contract you can choose to join whoever you want, provided you can agree a suitable salary and they have space in their squad.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Couldn't there be a way to regulate and prevent that though? I follow the NBA and sometimes you have players taking a pay-cut because they have a soft salary cap in the league, and you wonder if maybe the players get paid under-the-table for taking an official pay-cut, but I'm sure there's a way to keep track of that and sanction any violations.
Buy out clauses now work that way. Herrera didnt pay his buy himself.

Not sure how u regulate it. As a club I can call it a bonus since you'll be signing fot free anyway right

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Is all this about Dier? Lol. Show me any quote or any actual evidence he want to leave Spurs. It's all paper gossip and he will be happily playing for Spurs next season.

BigTimeCharlie

Is there an unwritten rule on morsl grounds that stops a club buying out the players contract? With the way fees are getting, say Dier was on 100k a week (probably less) 1 year of his contract would be worth roughly 5.2million. Thats like 25 mill for a full 5 years, a lot cheaper than 50m.

What say you?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is all this about Dier? Lol. Show me any quote or any actual evidence he want to leave Spurs. It's all paper gossip and he will be happily playing for Spurs next season.
It's not about Dier, that's just an example and the discussion is more about the process rather than single player.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is there an unwritten rule on morsl grounds that stops a club buying out the players contract? With the way fees are getting, say Dier was on 100k a week (probably less) 1 year of his contract would be worth roughly 5.2million. Thats like 25 mill for a full 5 years, a lot cheaper than 50m.

What say you?
Clubs have agreed to not do so, because they know that things will eventually go bad for them. We can do that to Spurs, Real can do that to us with De Gea and so on. It will open the Pandora box.

On the other side, the prices of players have gone a bit out of hand in this summer, so who knows what it will happen.

In addition, I am not sure about the legality of that. Rules are that a player can buy his contract, not a club buy the player's contract. And while a player is under contract with a club, he cannot accept money from an another club. Which essentially means that only the rich players can buy their clauses. For example, I doubt that Eric Dier has 25m on his bank to buy his contract. And the interesting thing is, what if after he buys his contract, we decline to give him the proposed 250k/week wage (100k cause he bought his contract, 150k as wage)? I think that it is something better not exploited.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
In sport, I don't ever believe in keeping players who do not want to be there - working out an appropriate fee is the only question/issue

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't have the slightest problem with clubs refusing to sell a player. So what if the player wants to leave ? Nearly all of us have things we want but aren't in a position to have for one reason or another.

If you want to join Real Madrid or Man United, don't sign a 5 year deal at Spurs. At the end of your contract you can choose to join whoever you want, provided you can agree a suitable salary and they have space in their squad.
To some degree.

Although, it is a bit more complicated than that IMO. Clubs now threaten to put players in bench if they don't sign a new contract. Spending 2 years on bench isn't very nice. Llorente went with that though (one year in bench), but most of players don't want that. It could be argued that De Gea wouldn't have signed a new contract if LVG didn't bench him.

But yep, still it is in player's hand. They can make sacrifices after all, same as in every other profession. You want to join an another club and not sign a new contract. Cool, stay 2 years in bench and earn 10m less, risking your career. If you love that other club so much, it might be a sacrifice you're going to make.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They are not cattles as cattles don't have a choice. Players do. Every single one of those contracts are signed by the players themselves willingly.

They chose to sell their services for the contracted period of time in return for guaranteed income over the period.

And if later on they regret it then tough, they agreed to the contract (most likely getting more favourable terms because of the length of the contract). You can't happily reap the benefits and then complain when you need to provide your side of the bargain.

This isn't like a normal salary job because most of us do not get guaranteed income for a contracted period. Companies can fire employee with minimal notice. Players would riot if clubs could just fire them if they got injured.

Also, most high paying jobs have non competitive clauses. Garden leave is effectively sitting on the bench to rot and that's actually common practice. Footballers are not treated like slaves - they are in fact very privileged. Not many other industries guarantee you future income regardless of how well or poorly you perform.
I've seen the non-compete clause mentioned a lot in comparison, but it's not quite the same for me, as my guess is if your new company offered £50m, your current company would happily tear your non-compete clause up and throw it in the bin. That is similar to a transfer fee.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In sport, I don't ever believe in keeping players who do not want to be there - working out an appropriate fee is the only question/issue
This is my general view. I understand the legislation of it all, I'm an adult - but it appears that what most are indirectly proposing here is that it is only suitable or right for a player to leave or want to leave on a Bosman, having fulfilled his contract.

The fact that the large majority of transfers involve a fee shows that things often change for one or more parties during the life of a contract, and we then come to the table. For me, it's almost bad sportsmanship or whatever the better description would be to just refuse if a player is unhappy.

A player being unavailable, in reality, is largely linked to his own happiness at his club, not the fact that he is contracted. That's how it should be, IMO. Messi has been 'unavailable' pretty much his whole career. Not because of his contract. Teams have not been trying to buy him every year on the basis that there has been no real indication he wants to leave. That's all. If there was an occurance that led to it being publicly known he wants out of Barcelona, many clubs would circle, under the thinking 'Messi might be available'. His contract is still the same contract, but the fact he now wants to leave means that clubs will now try to agree the right compensation with his club.

Do people think Ronaldo was 'for sale' when he left us? Of course he wasn't. He only became for sale, to Real Madrid, at the right price, when it became known that he only wanted to play for Madrid and not Real.

It is unrealistic and simplistic to say Ronaldo should have been signing one year deals on the basis that he may want to go to Real one day. He should, rightly, think that if and when the time comes, he should just inform his club he wants to leave. The contract is not worthless. The contract for us £80m, as opposed to nothing. That should be it's purpose. Not to force people to stay.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
For the sake of the sport I think it's important that the contracts are meaningful, and that the players can't simply ignore it if they become 'too good' for the club. As a club, offering a long good contract to a player is also a risk, the player can turn out worse than expected, injured and so on. It would be mad that if they do it well, their player will be free to leave for a fee lower than the club believe they can replace the player for.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The Messi example is a good one because in today's football there are clubs that can easily meet any fee and wage, in the end Messi decides. The second Leo wants out, no fee or wage issue will keep him at Barcelona.

Sport is just that, sport - so sure there is a business side to it and as such clubs should be compensated appropriately but holding a player prisoner due to a contract? Ridiculous

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
This thread annoys me, as do Bosman free transfers. Players cost obscene sums of money and are paid vast sums. They choose the contracts they sign and rightfully should honour them just as the club would have to honour the contract if they were injured the whole time.

Bosman free transfers are not fair on a club that's shelled out a fortune and a player wants to jump off for a load more money.

So bottom line there should be less freedom, not more.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Players sign contracts which bind them to their respective club until a certain time unless the club decides otherwise. If the player potentially doesn't want to remain with his club for the entirety of his contract and wants a guaranteed exit then it's quite simple - he shouldn't be signing a long-term contract. This strikes me as absolutely fair enough. A club have the right to expect a player to remain with him if that player is still contracted to the club.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The Messi example is a good one because in today's football there are clubs that can easily meet any fee and wage, in the end Messi decides. The second Leo wants out, no fee or wage issue will keep him at Barcelona.

Sport is just that, sport - so sure there is a business side to it and as such clubs should be compensated appropriately but holding a player prisoner due to a contract? Ridiculous
'Prisoner' implies the player has no say in the matter though - they do, ie, not signing a long-term contract.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

No what's rediculous is comparing football players to cattle, slaves or prisoners. Me thinks some people need to take a step back and look at the world we are living in.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Expecting a player to honor a deal he's agreed on is now considered "holding him a prisoner"?

If the player potentially doesn't want to remain with his club for the entirety of his contract and wants a guaranteed exit then it's quite simple - he shouldn't be signing a long-term contract.
What he said.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
'Prisoner' implies the player has no say in the matter though - they do, ie, not signing a long-term contract.
Agree. They are not slaves or prisoners at all. They can walk away from the sport, wealthier than they could dream of at any point. If they want to get a different job than playing football they are free to do so. If anything, the fans are much more slaves than they are, and are not in an opportunity to walk away from their relatively low paid job, and those are the fans they are shitting on by refusing to honour their contract, and walk away.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This thread annoys me, as do Bosman free transfers. Players cost obscene sums of money and are paid vast sums. They choose the contracts they sign and rightfully should honour them just as the club would have to honour the contract if they were injured the whole time.

Bosman free transfers are not fair on a club that's shelled out a fortune and a player wants to jump off for a load more money.

So bottom line there should be less freedom, not more.
Bosman's strike me as fair enough - if a player's contract is coming to an end then it's the fault of the club at hand for not being able to secure their services over a longer period. If your contract has ended there's no legal requirement for the club to be compensated for you leaving, and you should be free to move wherever you want.

Miscemayl

I've seen the non-compete clause mentioned a lot in comparison, but it's not quite the same for me, as my guess is if your new company offered £50m, your current company would happily tear your non-compete clause up and throw it in the bin. That is similar to a transfer fee.
Perhaps but that never happens because the employee can later decide to leave the new company for yet competitor, rendering the 50m "transfer fee" instantly worthless.

Also, if the old company accepts the 50m, that's just like a regular transfer.

The problem is when the new company only offers 5k and hence the old company refuses to accept. In that scenario, the employee will need to sit out the garden leave.

Likewise if the new company is a fierce competitor and the old company simply refuses to withdraw the non competition clause. In fact, the whole point of the clause it for this scenario and the employee will have no choice but "sit on the bench"

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Players sign contracts which bind them to their respective club until a certain time unless the club decides otherwise. If the player potentially doesn't want to remain with his club for the entirety of his contract and wants a guaranteed exit then it's quite simple - he shouldn't be signing a long-term contract. This strikes me as absolutely fair enough. A club have the right to expect a player to remain with him if that player is still contracted to the club.
Again, I understand the legislation behind it, I just think it's poor game to not be willing to discuss the matter if a player is unhappy. Contract or not, that makes the club become more possessive of a player, as opposed to an employer. That very player only joined your club in the first place because he wanted to leave his previous club while under contract. You paid the fee and got it done. That is the nature of football, so to take on that 'we will enforce the contract at all costs' position, for me, removes the human or free will element from the process.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Again, I understand the legislation behind it, I just think it's poor game to not be willing to discuss the matter if a player is unhappy. Contract or not, that makes the club become more possessive of a player, as opposed to an employer. That very player only joined your club in the first place because he wanted to leave his previous club while under contract. You paid the fee and got it done. That is the nature of football, so to take on that 'we will enforce the contract at all costs' position, for me, removes the human or free will element from the process.
What if clubs are ready to negotiate but puts way too much price on player? ex 150 million for Dier.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For the sake of the sport I think it's important that the contracts are meaningful, and that the players can't simply ignore it if they become 'too good' for the club. As a club, offering a long good contract to a player is also a risk, the player can turn out worse than expected, injured and so on. It would be mad that if they do it well, their player will be free to leave for a fee lower than the club believe they can replace the player for.
The contracts are not necessarily meant to guarantee the services of a player for the length. They are there more to protect the financial interests of the club (and players).

If a club signs a player on a 5 year deal, in all likelihood, if they want him to actually spend 5 years at the club, they will have to offer him a new contract after about 3. Why do they do that? They already have him locked in. It's about preserving financial interest. All this implication that any player who wants to move ever should basically move on a free is nonsense. He should move when he wants, and his contract should ensure his club are compensated.

If a young player moves out of contract, the FA make it so that his club get compensated anyway by way of tribunal. You are generally not supposed to get players for free, it is seen as poor game from a player generally. He should leave under contract ideally.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
The contracts are not necessarily meant to guarantee the services of a player for the length. They are there more to protect the financial interests of the club (and players).

If a club signs a player on a 5 year deal, in all likelihood, if they want him to actually spend 5 years at the club, they will have to offer him a new contract after about 3. Why do they do that? They already have him locked in. It's about preserving financial interest. All this implication that any player who wants to move ever should basically move on a free is nonsense. He should move when he wants, and his contract should ensure his club are compensated.

If a young player moves out of contract, the FA make it so that his club get compensated anyway by way of tribunal. You are generally not supposed to get players for free, it is seen as poor game from a player generally. He should leave under contract ideally.
This is what happens now, but sometimes the club who the player wants to move to doesn't offer the sum the selling club would want. Many examples of this, and in this situation I completely understand that the club will ask the player to stay. Today, Southampton can't really replace Van Dyjk (not sure about spelling), not even for 50m, should they still accept to sell for 50m? I would say no, he just signed a new long term deal and can't suddenly start crying of being forced to stay.