Relying on individual players

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Despite the evolution of tactics and systems in place where the sum of the units is greater than their individual parts, teams still rely on their best individuals to make a difference.

I read the other day that Milan have won 65% of their games with Theo Hernandez and only 22% when he was not on the field.

Even the best teams seem to rely heavily on a select few individuals. Think Rodri at City, or Bellingham at Real Madrid.

Do you have examples in mind of a team not being the same without a certain star player? And do you think football is headed in a direction where the team supersedes the individual and such reliance will disappear?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The best tactics is to have as much talent as possible. Sure, a good leader will make sure the team is organized and ready for tough challenges, but imagine this: your team is doing an amazing game: they are pressing very well, not conceeding spaces and are creating good chances.
Suddenly, the opponent's team 100M player picks the ball, runs and drible past two or three players causing your team to lose balance and suddenly you're 1-0 down and there's nothing it could had been done to prevent this.

The_Midfielder

I mean every team depends on special players ..
The issue we are having is, we are not able to optimize their strengths
Have we taken a look saying , Ok what is casemiro good in ? Can he run all game ? If he is not fast , who can cover for him when he goes up ?

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
I read the other day that Milan have won 65% of their games with Theo Hernandez and only 22% when he was not on the field
We lack depth on his position + he's arguably the best LB in the world