Repercussions of ESL failure (Investment)

GiddyUp

Here's a great idea. How about those greedy bastards put their hands in to their pockets and pony up some cash. I'm sure they are wealthy enough to fund a renovation on Old Trafford. Player transfers are hit and miss but improving our home isn't, it just adds value. Up to 100 million would go a really long way.

croadyman

Here's a great idea. How about those greedy bastards put their hands in to their pockets and pony up some cash. I'm sure they are wealthy enough to fund a renovation on Old Trafford. Player transfers are hit and miss but improving our home isn't, it just adds value. Up to 100 million would go a really long way.
Yeah there's hardly been any infrastructure improvements in the 15 years they have been here

cyril C

Tried looking for a thread that covered this topic but can't find any.
This is specific to us with regards to our American owners. Liverpool and Arsenal are probably in the same boat. Laurie Whitwell made a key point regarding our American owners. They view the way the European football system, especially the transfer system as unsustainable. I think we are about to enter a period of very very little investment in transfer fees as long as the Glazers are around.
Could we see the Glazers and other clubs pushing for an MLS like transfer system?
So you see 200m for Haaland (incl 40m to agents) plus 600K/w for a 20 years old, is sustainable?

Effort to cut out greedy agents and control the transfer fee, has nothing to do with American owners. Whether FIFA can achieve any form of control is another matter, but has nothing to do with ownership.

AkaAkuma

I think the glazers will try to appease/distract the fan base with a large transfer fund in the short term

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
How about the 12 teams try living within their means. If you don’t have £200m for transfers don’t spend it, if you can’t afford £500k per week wages don’t offer it. These clubs are not “entitled” to win, they are no “entitled” sign all of the best players. In fact to do so simply cheapens the product
The likes of Milan and Inter are horrified that in the near future, Leicester, Wolves, West Ham etc are going to be bigger pulls than them financially. Spending within their means would only make this clearer.

McTerminator

The issue with this is, there’s an insane amount of money in football. Absolutely insane. The money comes from advertisers and broadcasters. The money is always going to be there. There is no way to force clubs into spending their money in particular ways, short of (I assume) an ownership model where fans have some say. Short of that, the options for where the money goes are into the pockets of the players or into the pockets of the owners, and with that choice I prefer the players to get it since they’re the ones that actually earn that money.
you’re being a realist and I respect that.

However, (and this is possible just extremely unlikely) in an ideal world the government could introduce a whole host If legislation to cap fan ticket prices, cap how much sky can sell their football package to consumers, put new rules in surrounding the minimum wage of someone employed by a football club based on the wage of the ceo or something.

I’m living in a dream world, I know, but a great man once said if you can dream it you can build it , well I’d love to see some sort of system where companies forced to pay more in wages to their employees and less to their directors.

Bottom line is, how can it be right that the owners and sky and the Woodward’s of the world make so much money and yet the tea lady at old Trafford is probably on minimum wage. Surely the best alternative is not just to add yet another zero onto the player’s salaries?

Appreciate that this is almost impossible to put into words, but hopefully you guys get the jist of what I’m saying.