Replacing Peter Schmeichel with Mark Bosnich

Superunknown

We muddled around for years until VDS. Never rated Barthez personally
I never trusted Barthez when he played for us. Always seemed like he could make a mistake or do something stupid at any moment.
I liked Tim Howard more than him, but it's a similar sort of story there, too. Promising in lots of ways, but have the ability to make mistakes and that makes the rest of the team nervous. When you don't fully trust a goalkeeper, that lack of confidence then drips into other areas of the team. It has a ripple effect.
VDS was such a brilliant keeper post-Schmeichel. Exactly what we needed and he just looked mentally strong and solid. When he came in, you just knew that the position had finally been sorted and nailed down. Top class keeper. Wish we had got him years earlier.

Acole9

Outstanding
Apparently we had the chance to sign van der Sar earlier but Martin Edwards had already shaken hands on a deal with Bosnich's agent... :houllier:

I always remember how bad his distribution was.

Crashoutcassius

I never trusted Barthez when he played for us. Always seemed like he could make a mistake or do something stupid at any moment.
I liked Tim Howard more than him, but it's a similar sort of story there, too. Promising in lots of ways, but have the ability to make mistakes and that makes the rest of the team nervous. When you don't fully trust a goalkeeper, that lack of confidence then drips into other areas of the team. It has a ripple effect.
VDS was such a brilliant keeper post-Schmeichel. Exactly what we needed and he just looked mentally strong and solid. When he came in, you just knew that the position had finally been sorted and nailed down. Top class keeper. Wish we had got him years earlier.
yeah totally agree. howard was clearly not a elite level talented keeper, but after barthez and the chance that absolutely anything could happen, i remember really liking howard ! and then vds I remember being a teenager and thinking... oh this is what a goalkeeper should be...

Godfather

Yeah, that's probably why it goes more unnoticed. Remember reading Keane's book and he was gutted that we didn't improve the squad from a position of strength after winning the treble.
We rarely did under Fergie which was one of our main problems.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Barthez wasn’t a catastrophe. He was like Lloris is for Spurs now. Pretty shit but fundamentally a good keeper

but yeah VDS was such a huge difference when we finally got a top keeper

lsd

The Oracle
He only played twice for us...Wouldn't call that regular, same with Taibi.

Carroll played for us 72 times... Which is roughly 72 times too many

I know Howard made a couple of errors but I could never understand how Carroll took his place and kept it so long when he was clearly out of his depth at United .

Off course he then put in a superman effort against us when playing for Fulham a few years later till Ronaldo finally beat him .

He was responsible for that non goal at Spurs though that gets shown over and over again whenever the media want to say we get all the decisions so for that alone I dislike the guy

Precaution

I seem to recall we were either linked with Antti Niemi and Kasey Keller from Leicester, both would of made excellent replacements than Bosnich

Grande

Your original post said "Our attack literally struggled to get into space with the ball" and "our team play struggled". That's simply not true in any way or form. We scored more goals, got more points, won more games than in 1998/99 - saying that our . We lost our heads against Real Madrid at Old Trafford even though that was a team that we really should have beaten. But it certainly wasn't because we missed Schmeichel's goalkicks.
I can see that I should have worded my originalmpost more clearly: I was meaning to refer to one aspect of our game - playing on the break - not our whole game. I was also trying to pinpoint the type of games were we met a good, tight organized defence. I clearly remember noticing this in several tight games. You may of course see those games and disagree, even if it’s 20 years ago, but looking up goal stats is not really relevant to the point I am trying to make. I did not mean to say we struggled generally, which we certainly didn’t, only that there were types of game situations were we struggled as a team when we previously had a very important tool in those situations.

We had a historically fantastic team from the midfield up, with Becks, Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Yorke and Cole all in their prime and fully gelled, and our motto was ‘attack attack attack’ - of course we scored a lot! We played with three different keepers and our left back Silvestre playing most games at CB because of massive amounts of injuries on Ronny Johnsen, David May and Wes Brown, and we played a risky, yet sometimes vulnerable game. Of course we let in a lot of goals.
My attempted point was that Schmeichel’s throws and kicks were an important part of our varied swiss tool knife, and in situations were we could do well with the option of quick breaks without taking big risks, you could see the players starting ferocious runs early because they were so used to Schmeichel feeding them the ball. With Bosnic, Taibi, Carroll etc you could see players starting, stopping as the balls didn’t come as quick, or behind them, or were imprecise, and after a while attackers would often not go for those early runs. Similarily to how Rashford, Martial and Greenwood go on more proactive runs when they have Bruno behind them than when Lingard or Pereira plays. Or how RvN struggled with parts of his play when Ronaldo replaced Becks (and Solskjær!) as the main source for his balls. If you want to dispute any of this in particular, feel free. When it comes to most of what youve written to me, I fully agree with it, it’s just not very relevant to the point I was trying to make.

Yeah, Bosnich on the look of it was a lot more natural choice to than Schmeichel had been, one coming from Brøndby in the semi-professional Danish league and the other being one of the PL’s most touted goalkeepers, even on surface seeming like he had the confidence needed to play for United. Sir Alex was always a sucker for a good deal, and Bozzo seemed as good a deal as Big Pete, or better. Difference was one exploded and the other imploded.

One crucial element was, though, I think even the gaffer underestimated how central Schmeichels goal kicks and throws were for our aggressive and fast football playing on the break. Our attack literally struggled to get into space with the ball because they were used to Schmeichel distributing precisely to well within their half in half a second. As a result, the team play struggled, and I think Bosnich must have noticed that frustration more than even Taibi were affected by his blunders.

It was a question of not doing enough homework, taking a Cantona-like punt, but it didn’t fly.

stevoc

I think everyone in the world would at that point in time have said VDS is the sure bet, whereas Bosnich wasn't. But I can't remember if we were linked to others.

That's extraordinary. So a cost-saving exercise in effect, behind the manager's back, after delivering 3 trophies. Criminal.
It wasn't extraordinary back then Edwards was at it all the time. In 1998 Ferguson wanted Kluivert and Yorke, Edwards dilly dallied on moves for both because he on the advice of Brian Kidd wanted to sign John Hartson instead.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We have had these mad spells in one position haven't we?

Refusing to buy a centre mid for years, and how long we've gone without a proper right sided attacker too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It wasn't extraordinary back then Edwards was at it all the time. In 1998 Ferguson wanted Kluivert and Yorke, Edwards dilly dallied on moves for both because he on the advice of Brian Kidd wanted to sign John Hartson instead.
We got Yorke in 98 though?

stevoc

We got Yorke in 98 though?
Yeah because Ferguson pushed for him and wouldn't even consider Hartson. I think that episode also lead to the breakdown in Ferguson and Kidds relationship.

Amir

Bearing in mind 15m was a world record fee only two years before, 15million wasn't exactly buttons back then.
Add in Yorke like you mention and almost 30m in one summer in 98 was huge
Yeah, you're right about 15m not being a paltry sum. Still, it was quite ridiculous for a big club like United to be able to sign a player (Stam) for a world record fee for a defender, add a winger for not a huge sum and not have anything at all for another player. And to think Fergie wanted two strikers rather than one.

And people think Ole's got it rough beacuse he could only sign three players for huge money in the last two transfer windows.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, you're right about 15m not being a paltry sum. Still, it was quite ridiculous for a big club like United to be able to sign a player (Stam) for a world record fee for a defender, add a winger for not a huge sum and not have anything at all for another player. And to think Fergie wanted two strikers rather than one.

And people think Ole's got it rough beacuse he could only sign three players for huge money in the last two transfer windows.
Yep, I was in 6th form around the time, and the figure quoted for Stam was utterly spellbinding for that time.

Those 3 signings are arguably our best ever summer of transfers in 20 years.
Even Blomqvist was a key acquisition, with Giggs prone to absences with hamstring strains, at a time when most teams played proper wingers on their correct side.

Trying to think what the equivalent set of signings this summer would be...

Probably a Van Dyke level defender, for more than the Maguire fee, a striker well over 100m (PGS have warped the records, so let's not use those), and a winger, probably around 50-60m?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The back pass thing is bollocks surely? 1992 was when that was finished, he became a regular that year for Villa (or least joined them) he did play for us between 1989 and 1991 though! Forgot that he was on our books before.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bozzy was one of the top keepers in the league in 1999 at a time when we were a comfortable top 6 team. One of my heroes growing up and this was one of the best ever saves I saw live as a 9 year old:

His kicking was awful though. I remember as a lad going down to our training ground when fans could actually watch the team train from 10 yards away and I remember his kicks kept flying to the left and hitting the nearby hut by the training pitch. :lol:

He'd been at Man. United in early 90s before joining us but couldn't get a work permit so SAF knew what he was like day-to-day although of course his ego had grown playing for us.

Think getting arrested on his stag do the day before he joined Man. United did for him and then he had fitness issues. Still had some good games though if you watch the club world final v whoever in late 1999 and then the 0-0 away to Real Madrid in the CL quarter finals. Then got injured again and completely fell out of favour when you signed Barthez.

Then he completely fell apart when he moved to Chelsea and was washed up when he was barely 30. When Australia played in 2006 world cup he was still only about 33 but had been done with football for years.

This is a good video of when he was focused and professional.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Probably one of the first signs that we weren’t as far ahead technology, infrastructure, and staff wise as some might have thought. We should’ve had feelers out for a Schmeichel replacement for a few years before he left.

I like the Moyes comparison, because we definitely should’ve planned Fergie’s leaving years in advance, and clearly didn’t.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I seem to recall we were either linked with Antti Niemi and Kasey Keller from Leicester, both would of made excellent replacements than Bosnich
I think that would have been the same again. I mean, apart from his professionalism, or lack thereof. We needed to be looking at elite players. Went through so many goalkeepers in the following years. Howard, for instance, was a good keeper, but not close to elite.

People can then show statistics about how "we didn't suffer" because we scored more goals and did not need Peter's quick and accurate distribution, but it's an overall thing. The base of the spine affects the rest of the team enormously. If the defenders don't trust the keeper (which they clearly didn't with Bosnich) it affects the entire way we play.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
Couldn't understand it then and now, looking back, it seems to be on a similar level of consciousness to think Moyes could take over from SAF. What on earth were we thinking having just won the treble and getting in Mark Bosnich on a free from Villa?

It took us 6 years to find a suitable GK following that catastrophe...

Who recommended him? Were we not linked with actual top class keepers at the time? Must have been a downer in the dressing room, high on winning the treble and you see your club replace Schmeichel with the Villa keeper. Who then turned out to have a career mired in personal issues and was labelled a terrible professional by SAF. And also, a shite keeper.
It's all in Fergie's book... he claims he didn't wanted him and had changed his mind on Bosnich (wanted Van der Sar) but a deal was already done/too late to back out.