Reserve Team Manager: Ole Watch

Chep

Hey Caftards,

I thought it would be nice to run a season long thread on OGS maiden career as a reserve manager.
Every one is free to join and I hope the moderators will keep this thread on the fore pages and help us maintain it too. Thanks.

Ivor Ballokov

It was hard work watching the reserves at some points last year. Towards the end of the season though Macheda, Welbeck and Rodrigo made it somewhat more interesting.

Don't get to see much of the Academy so who will Ole have coming up from there this season? I imagine Brady will get some more games.

Virtuoso

Could be a good year for them, last year wasnt great at all but with Welbeck, macheda, Rodrigo, Brazilian twins we could see some sexy Ole styled football.
Agreed, add to that list Davide Petrucci who will probably be promoted into the Reserves sometime during the season (if he doesn't bypass the Academy side from the start).

Looking forward to the season ahead :cool:

PS18

Gotta get that name sorted out in the title if this is to take off :D

The great man's first game is charge will be July 12th, Burscough away. Then Altrincham away on the 19th and Oxford away on the 26th before the first 'competitive' game, the LSC Final (from last season) against Liverpool on the 30th.

Chris H

Video Posting God
How's he doing then?
He's accomplished feck all so far. Terrible signing.

Fecking Glazers. Too cheap to hire an experienced manager, had to bring in this mercenary instead. Disgraceful.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Agreed, add to that list Davide Petrucci who will probably be promoted into the Reserves sometime during the season (if he doesn't bypass the Academy side from the start).

Looking forward to the season ahead :cool:
With Campbell, Brandy, Welbeck, Macheda all in the Reserves now, plus Eagles of course, it would take a lot of these going back out on loan before I could see Petrucci taking a regular spot in the reserves.

He is only 16 and never played English football before so I would guess he will certainly start in the U-18's for the first half of the season and then depending on his progress, others going on loan and the shape of Ole's team he might get a few cameos towards the end of the term.

Also, apart from Joshua King, if Macheda is playing in the reserves, then we are light on forwards in the 18's.....

I think to regard him as a Reserve Team player would be very premature at this stage.

Virtuoso

With Campbell, Brandy, Welbeck, Macheda all in the Reserves now, plus Eagles of course, it would take a lot of these going back out on loan before I could see Petrucci taking a regular spot in the reserves.

He is only 16 and never played English football before so I would guess he will certainly start in the U-18's for the first half of the season and then depending on his progress, others going on loan and the shape of Ole's team he might get a few cameos towards the end of the term.

Also, apart from Joshua King, if Macheda is playing in the reserves, then we are light on forwards in the 18's.....

I think to regard him as a Reserve Team player would be very premature at this stage.
Granted, but when you think that Roma were going to consider him for first team chances and play him in the same vein that they have done with Riccardo Brosco then I imagine he will make it into the Reserves by the end of the season at least. I do think one or two of those that you mentioned won't be with the Reserves during the season. Also, Petrucci is not an out and out striker as most of those player are. He plays the trequartista role in the playmaker (Baggio-esque) position and has been known to play as an attacking midfielder as well as on the wings.

We'll have to see what indeed happens because as you say, we are a little spoilt for choice but if Petrucci is in fact as good as his billing then I can't see him being left in the Academy for too long.

Name Changed

weso26

Petrucci turns 17 in October. If he is as good as reported, then he should definately be good enough for the reserves and even further.

Virtuoso

SOLSKJAER: UNITED CAN PRODUCE TALENT

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are still capable of rearing their own top-class talent.

Since the famed 'class of 92' there has been a shortage of home-grown produce on the Old Trafford conveyor belt, even though Sir Alex Ferguson has maintained a commitment to giving youth a chance.

As coach to Manchester United's reserve team, it is now Solskjaer's responsibility to hone the talent United have at their disposal.

And the Norwegian denies it is now too hard for Manchester-born youngsters to make it through the ranks.

"It is hard and maybe over the years not too many have made it through," he observed.

"But Wes Brown, John O'Shea and Darren Fletcher came through the system, while Gerard Pique and Giuseppe Rossi also played for the first team before leaving for big clubs abroad, so it proves there is still a chance.

"If they are good enough, they will get an opportunity here. If they are not but learn the right habits, they will still have a good career somewhere else."

Lessons provided by Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville are drilled into the United youngsters every day of their lives, not just in ability and dedication but smaller stuff such as punctuality.

News that three United youngsters are jetting out to South Africa in order to join the first-team squad on their pre-season tour provides another timely reminder of the benefits a career at Old Trafford can offer.

However, Solskjaer is aware progression needs to be monitored closely so stagnation does not set in.

On Tuesday night Sir Alex Ferguson spoke of the need for Lee Martin and Chris Eagles to play regular first-team football, which surely must come away from the Red Devils.

"I have had a couple of chats with the manager about who is going to go out on loan because you don't want people in theserve team year after year," said Solskjaer.

"Maybe after one year they are ready to go somewhere else.

"You don't want to stay in the reserves for ever because the boat is starting to sink."

It provides reasons for optimism at Hull, where Frazier Campbell was so successful last term, and maybe Sunderland, who would definitely be interested if Jonny Evans came on the market.

Danny Simpson and Darron Gibson are others who may move on too, although for the moment, Solskjaer is happy with the under-19s that will form the bulk of his squad for Saturday's trip to Oxford.

After that the 1999 European Cup hero can concentrate on a 20-minute cameo in his testimonial against Espanyol at Old Trafford on August 2.

In an era where honouring highly-paid football stars seems pointless, Solskjaer is the exception.

Typically, he gave a group of children an afternoon to remember this week, providing coaching sessions for young relatives of cancer victims through United's link with Christie's Hospital.

"We all know how horrible cancer is and how it has touched so many lives," he said.

"Around the time I had my knee injuries, a very close friend was diagnosed with it and it just put my situation into perspective. My career meant nothing alongside someone's life.

"With the right treatment and a positive attitude, anything can be achieved. That is why I try to do what I can."

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...CER_Man_Utd_Solskjaer.html&TEAMHD=premiership

Let's hope that Ole can help reinvigorate the youth system a bit, there is the talent there for certain.

PS18

News that three United youngsters are jetting out to South Africa in order to join the first-team squad on their pre-season tour provides another timely reminder of the benefits a career at Old Trafford can offer.
Would be interested to see who that trio are (haven't been able to unearth anything yet). You'd imagine one would be a defender to replace Wes, hopefully Rodrigo's one of the others.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
If Welbeck is fit again he'll surely be part of that trio.

Virtuoso

I don't think it merits a sticky in all honesty, when the reserves and academy are getting 3-4 page threads every week.
Exactly, his performance is mentioned weekly in match day threads so there's no need for this to be a sticky really.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
There's a nasty rumor going around in certain Noggie papers about Ole's future at United after he bought a fancy-schamncy villa in his hometown of Kristiansund the other day. At the moment it's low key and speculative but the timing of said purchase is a bit iffy as the club 'everybody' assumes he'll start his senior managerial career with, Molde, is looking for someone to replace temp Uwe fooking Rösler at the end of the season.

phelans shorts

Røkke wants Solskjær as Molde-coach.

(VG Nett) If Kjell Inge Røkke (51) gets his will, Ole Gunnar Solskjær will become Moldes new head coach next season.

According to sources close to VG, the owner who’ve spent about half a billion norwegian kroners on the club since the 90’s, has expressed a desire to bring Solskjær back to Molde after spending 14 years in Manchester United.

Aker-owner and Molde-patriot Røkke is supposedly very positive to Solskjær as the new gaffer at Aker Stadium. And he’s said to be extremely negative in regards to Solskjær ending with another Norwegian club. Rosenborg, Brann, Viking and Vålerenga have already enquired about Solskjærs services aswell as the Norwegian Football Association.

-Going home

Molde Football Club (MFK) is chasing a new head coach when Uwe Röslers contract is running out at the end of this season.

Solskjær is currently working as the coach for the reserves in Manchester United at the moment, but he has expressed a desire to return to his native country with his wife Silje and their three children.

”- Im going home. But when and where? That’s for the family council to decide” was Solskjærs quote during an interview with VG in january.

He however pointed out that he is currently in a position that he is truly enjoying. And that the mighty United-manager Sir Alex Ferguson’s situation is of great importance for his path concering his carriere within coaching.

Bought a new house

Tarje Nordstrand Jacobsen, director of Molde, refuses to make any comments about viable candidates.

”-Until the process is done, we don’t want to comment concering who Molde’s head coach will be from 2011 and onwards.”

Solskjær recently purchased the most expensive estate in his hometown Kristiansund has brought new life to the rumours that a move away from Manchester may be on the books. The villa was priced at 11,5 million NOK (1,18 million pounds).

Solskærs businessparter, Jim Solbakken, claims that the reason behind the purchase is because the Solskjær’s feel that their current Norwegian home got to small after they added a third child to their family.

VG Nett - Røkke vil ha Solskjær som Molde-trener - Fotball norsk

Translated by burrow in the newbs.

Eriku

Røkke wants Solskjær as Molde-coach.
I saw article about the house he purchased in Kristiansand focusing on Solskjær quotes which made it seem that this was just a good purchase that wasn't going to be of immediate use to him.

At any rate, Ole's earned the right to make the decision that's best for him. And if it comes to that it doesn't mean it's the last we've seen of him at this club. :)

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I saw article about the house he purchased in Kristiansand focusing on Solskjær quotes which made it seem that this was just a good purchase that wasn't going to be of immediate use to him.

At any rate, Ole's earned the right to make the decision that's best for him. And if it comes to that it doesn't mean it's the last we've seen of him at this club. :)
Ha-ha, Kristians_nd fail.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I think he should take the Molde job if offered, the only way I can see him as a candidate to someday take the helm at United is if he finds success in top flight football elsewhere.

A move to Molde would be a good start.

Eriku

I think he should take the Molde job if offered, the only way I can see him as a candidate to someday take the helm at United is if he finds success in top flight football elsewhere.

A move to Molde would be a good start.
Sure, but I'd also not mind him staying for the duration of Fergie's reign so that he can benefit from access to SAF... That'll stand him in good stead too.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Personally, i think he doesn't have to leave to get the 'top job' some day.

He would, however, need to become assistant manager imo under Fergie for a couple of years in order to put himself in the frame to take over from Fergie.

I think he would actually stand a very good chance of becoming AM if Mourinho was to take over from Fergie (much as Steve Clarke became his AM at Chelsea)