Reserves against Wigan

oskarutd

Reserves: Reds aim to extend lead

Brian McClair has named a young United side to take on Wigan Athletic as the Reds aim to extend their lead at the top of the FAPRL on Thursday.

United currently lead the table on goal difference from local rivals Manchester City, who have played an extra game.

Danny Rose and David Jones return in the only personnel changes from the Reserves' last game, a 1-0 Senior Cup win over Bolton.

Craig Cathcart drops to the bench, while Jamie Mullan is not in the squad. Tom Heaton starts in goal, behind a back four of David Gray, Rose, Michael Lea and Ryan Shawcross.

Ritchie Jones joins his namesake in the centre of midfield, with Kieran Lee and Michael Barnes occupying the flanks and Phil Marsh continuing upfront with Aaron Burns.

Cathcart is joined on the bench by Ben Amos, Sam Hewson and Chris Fagan.

United: Heaton, Gray, Rose, Lea, Shawcross, R Jones, Lee, D Jones, Marsh, Burns, Barnes.
Substitutes: Cathcart, Amos, Hewson, Fagan.

Source: manutd.com

Evans is injured.
Where is Brandy?

BezsMaracas

Strange to see Cathcart dropped to the bench as well, he's been very impressive lately. Nice to see Barnes getting a start.

oskarutd

KaiserSoze666 said:
Strange to see Cathcart dropped to the bench as well, he's been very impressive lately. Nice to see Barnes getting a start.
Maybe it is because of the game for the u-18s against Stoke tomorrow?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Just after watching the reserves beat Wigan 5-2 on MUTV.

Aaron Burns got a hat-trick and looks like a decent player, but Michael Barnes has been the star. He created 3 of the goals and scored one, displaying great crossing and wing play from the left. Great workrate too, he tackled back brilliantly.

I don't know if he's going to turn out to be a better player than Lee Martin but it's good to see we are developing another possible alternative to Kieran Richardson.

julesee

ah the wife wouldnt let me watch this....will watch the highlights...but that's what Ive been saying - Michael Barnes is a very good player!

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
Barnsey is a wonderful player.
He has lots of speed,is unselfish with the ball and can tackle.

Oh, and he has Ginger hair!:D

He was class tonight.
Deffo MOM,in my opinion.

The singing was very loud tonight..........they brought in the Bizzies for a spot of boisterousness..............:lol:

"All I know is Glazers gonna die.":lol: :lol:

PS18

Missed the start today, did David Jones go off early or was there a change to the originally announced team?

M160RA

We picked up Barnes pretty late didn't we? Normally our kids are with us since they're in their early teens, or we get sign them from other clubs when they're around 16. But Barnes was only playing for his school team when we signed him up, if I'm not mistaken.
Just a question to Tony or anyone else in the know - do you reckon a player like Barnes would have been more developed at this stage, had he been with the academy of a professional club from an earlier age? Or am I misinformed, and was he actually part of another academy or school of excellence?

umair

Barnes is from my area Chorley lancashire. Alot of talent here but less scouts

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
M160RA said:
We picked up Barnes pretty late didn't we? Normally our kids are with us since they're in their early teens, or we get sign them from other clubs when they're around 16. But Barnes was only playing for his school team when we signed him up, if I'm not mistaken.
Just a question to Tony or anyone else in the know - do you reckon a player like Barnes would have been more developed at this stage, had he been with the academy of a professional club from an earlier age? Or am I misinformed, and was he actually part of another academy or school of excellence?
Michael Barnes was spotted playing for Conference North side Lancaster City during the FA Youth Cup and after a six week trial ,joined Manchester United's youth academy in January 2006, Reserve side.

M160RA

Man Utd Mrs said:
Michael Barnes was spotted playing for Conference North side Lancaster City during the FA Youth Cup and after a six week trial ,joined Manchester United's youth academy in January 2006, Reserve side.
Thanks for clearing that up MUM. I still find it hard to believe that our scouts or from another big club didn't spot him earlier than that - especially considering Lancaster's not that far away from Manchester.

Tribec

Whilst it's always nice to think that all our talent are coming through the ranks from the age of 9 or 10, we do find players late on and more so late developers from outside the football league.

Barnes is style is very direct, and I recall his debut last year. For me his game is similar to Steve Coppell's though he'll have to improve on his defensive skills before making the next big step up. If anything a spell at left back would do him good. It helped Lee Sharpe's game no end.

As for the rest of the game last night, I thought that Danny Rose had his best game of the season so far. He's certainly more a midfielder than defender. Ritchie Jones was far better tonight than of late, perhaps it was due to the loss of David Jones. Either he stepped up his game because of the loss or having David Jones along side him is causing him problems? Aaron Burns seems to be another on the production line of youth strikers, his finishing last night was excellent. I can only guess however that with the U18's playing tonight, that Brandy was kept back. After his show last time I thought he may have gotten a game tonight.

After watching the game a second time last night, it was even more impressive than whilst being there. I said at the start of the season that this year may not be as good as the previous two, but if we continue to play like we did last night, I'll be baking my hat in a nice pie, with some chips.

ralphie88

A quality night all round, and fair play to MUST for the disco bus.

Hope the anti-Glazer protest came across well on MUTV. Funny seeing the stewards (under instruction from MUFC) trying to get the cops to take down the banners and the cops telling them to do one!

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
It was largely ignored but they sounded loud enough.
It was well loud at Ewen Fields..........especially when they started banging on the hoardings.........

The police looked reluctant to act...only one bloke got ejected..... :D

BezsMaracas

Barnes looked fantastic again last night, its great to see wingers at full pace like he does so well. Not sure if its a little one dimensional for the top level but he was going past their defenders for fun. Another superb display from Cathcart as well, we really are churning out quality defenders lately.