Reserves: Ben faces Bolton

oskarutd

link

en Foster will try to bolster his claim for a Carling Cup final place tonight when he lines up for United Reserves at home to Bolton Wanderers.

The Reds keeper made two senior starts for the first team in January, in the Carling Cup semi-final win over Derby County and the FA Cup victory over Tottenham. He'll no doubt relish the chance for more game-time with a Wembley final now just two weeks away.

Other players in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side with first-team experience include Richard Eckersley, Fabio, Rodrigo and Lee Martin, while Ben Amos is on the bench.

Kick-off is at 19:00 GMT, with MUTV's live coverage from Altrincham FC commencing at 18:30 GMT. Reds legend Arthur Albiston joins David Stowell in the commentary box.

This match was confirmed to be on following a lunch-time pitch inspection.

United: Foster; Eckersley, Fabio, Evans, Gill; Stewart, James, Possebon, Martin; Macheda, Brady. Subs: Amos, Dudgeon, Norwood, Petrucci, King.

twitter thread suggester
Possebon just doesn't look the same since that injury of his.

twitter thread suggester
Brilliant shot by Matt James, but denied by the woodwork.

twitter thread suggester
Another penalty. Committed against Lee Martin after a good counter attack.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I disagree, I think he looks rusty and slow both in movement but also in mind.

Macheda scores on the penalty.
your wrong then :)

it's pissing down incidently

possebon, james hit the bar earlier and someone from bolton too early game.

Striker10

we were very good at times abit unlucky in the final third. ft 2-0

twitter thread suggester
Game over
2-0
Fabio (p) ("Assist" Eckersley)
Macheda (p) ("Assist" Martin)

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Possebon just doesn't look the same since that injury of his.
Had a good game, pulled the strings well.

Macheda was great. Strong on the ball, took players on, creative passing.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I must say, I'm getting a bit giddy at the prospect of Macheda. He has such wonderful technical ability, and a fantastic name.

jb8521

I must say, I'm getting a bit giddy at the prospect of Macheda. He has such wonderful technical ability, and a fantastic name.
Fergie said in his interview the other night that Macheda is training with the seniors on a regular basis

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
How did fabio do?
Not half bad. Some early trouble with England u19 international Tope Obadeyi but he soon got the better of him. Got forward well, tired a bit at the end. Very comfy on the ball, solid penalty.

Crustanoid

I don't have MUTV. Are there likely to be streams / youtube highlights of reserve games kicking about?

twitter thread suggester
That's odd, I must just expect too much from him.
I thought Macheda, Martin, James, Eckersley (despite getting a run for his money) and Stewart at times were the stand out performers for us.

Virtuoso

Good performance, a few scares here and there but other than that it was solid. We probably should have scored a couple more in open play too; I thought Rodrigo did well to be honest, his passing from deep was precise and incisive at times. Federico Macheda was class too, what really impressed me was all his work away from the goal - a couple of classy touches, brilliant control, good hold up play and excellent short/through balls. He has the ability to play as a support striker and create in one instance and then suddenly transform into a main striker and get on the end of something - clinical finisher too.

lysglimt

Scout
Corry Evans had a really good game in defense - I must say he has improved a lot lately and now actually look a decent defender!

prateik

did fabio play the full match ?
if so then he wont play againt derby ..
no twins starting together .. the fantasy will have to wait

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Highlights of the game
Thanks for that... Much appreciated..

Just a small question why didn't Fabio take the 2nd penalty as well?

Did Fabio play the full match?
Yes according to United youth blog he did..

UNITED
1. Ben Foster
2. Richard Eckersley
3. Fábio da Silva
4. Corry Evans (c)
5. Oliver Gill
6. Matt James
7. Cameron Stewart (15. Davide Petrucci 80)
8. Rodrigo Possebon
9. Federico Macheda (14. Oliver Norwood 86)
10. Lee Martin
11. Robbie Brady (16. Joshua King 66)

Subs not used
12. Joe Dudgeon
13. Ben Amos

Virtuoso

Corry Evans had a really good game in defense - I must say he has improved a lot lately and now actually look a decent defender!
Has anyone seen the SSN news ticker today? It says something like "Patrice Evra and Jonny Evans are back in contention for Sunday, Evans came through the full 90 mins of United's 2-0 Reserve team win over Bolton last night" :rolleyes:

Striker10

Thanks for that... Much appreciated..

Just a small question why didn't Fabio take the 2nd penalty as well?

Yes according to United youth blog he did..
He let kiko take it. It's good to see. Both good penalties

Virtuoso

I think it was more of a case of Macheda letting Fabio take the first penalty maybe because he's just returning from a rough time with injury and it would be a good confidence booster to score in the Reserve league for the first time perhaps. I say this because Macheda usually take penalties (being the main striker and best finisher too ofcourse) so I think he let Fabio take the first and then as another one came around in the same match, Macheda resumed the penalty taking responsibilities.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I think it was more of a case of Macheda letting Fabio take the first penalty maybe because he's just returning from a rough time with injury and it would be a good confidence booster to score in the Reserve league for the first time perhaps. I say this because Macheda usually take penalties (being the main striker and best finisher too ofcourse) so I think he let Fabio take the first and then as another one came around in the same match, Macheda resumed the penalty taking responsibilities.
Either ways its good to see things like this happen... Anyway just to clear things for you this is not Fabio's 1st goal for the reserves.. I believe its his 3rd.. Can someone confirm this? I clearly remember 2.. 1 in a friendly and 1 in a competitive match (1 of those was a cracker against Chelsea) and now this being the 3rd!

jb8521

Either ways its good to see things like this happen... Anyway just to clear things for you this is not Fabio's 1st goal for the reserves.. I believe its his 3rd.. Can someone confirm this? I clearly remember 2.. 1 in a friendly and 1 in a competitive match (1 of those was a cracker against Chelsea) and now this being the 3rd!
Both of those goals were in friendlies against Chelsea and Northwich and he said it was his first goal in the reserve league which is right

Virtuoso

Yep you're right that it is good to see it happen either way, and as jb8521 stated - it was Fabio's first goal in the Reserve league.