Reserves Draft | green_smiley 10-9 mazhar13 & Marty1968

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Agostino Di Bartolomei

source: goal.com

Roma have boasted a long-list of inspirational captains over the years. Giuseppe Giannini, Carlo Ancelotti, Giacomo Losi, and one of this weekend's derby skippers, Francesco Totti, are just a few of the leaders rightfully regarded as club legends. In Nils Liedholm’s great team of the early 1980s, the captain and leader of the Giallorossi was the outstanding Agostino Di Bartolomei.

In 15 years at the club, Di Bartolomei played 308 games, scoring an impressive 66 goals and captaining the team 146 times. ‘Ago’, as he was known, helped form one of Europe’s most feared midfields, alongside Ancelotti, Bruno Conti, Toninho Cerezo and the incomparable Brazilian Roberto Falcao. He led the team to the Scudetto in 1983, their first in more than 40 years, and only the second in their history. He also won three Coppa Italia winner’s medals in 1980, 1981 and 1984 and narrowly missed out on lifting the European Cup when Roma lost on penalties to Liverpool in the final in 1984.

Like Giannini and Totti after him, Di Bartolomei had Roman blood bursting through his veins. Born and raised in one of the poor peripheral zones of the capital city, Ago was signed by Roma as a 14-year-old. After winning the youth championship, he made his senior debut at the age of just 18 against Giacinto Facchetti’s Inter on 22 March, 1973.

By the next season he had become a first-choice in the Roma midfield and with the exception of a season-long loan spell at Vicenza to ‘build up his bones’ in Serie B, Ago soon developed into an indispensable player for the Giallorossi. Di Bartolomei played the role of the regista, the central midfield ‘director’, a position made famous by Gianni Rivera and which required a skilful playmaker who would distribute passes to the wings and the forwards and dictate the tempo of the game.

By the 1980s this position was beginning to disappear as coaches tended to favour midfielders who could press and tackle back. Perhaps this explains why Di Bartolomei was never called up for the Italian national team as coach Enzo Bearzot seemed to prefer the steel and substance of Marco Tardelli and Gabriele Oriali over the flair and fantasy of Di Bartolomei. A crime of gargantuan proportions, it certainly helps qualify Di Bartolomei as the greatest Italian never to play for his country.

Tall, elegant and skilful, with fantastic vision and technical ability, Di Bartolomei fulfilled all the requirements of the regista. He would regularly hit pinpoint 60-yard cross-field passes to a team-mates feet and could spot a through-ball that most other players did not believe existed. In a similar way to Andrea Pirlo today, Di Bartolomei never appeared to do much running or tackling back and for this reason he was often tormented by the criticism that he was lazy and slow. However, like Pirlo, his brilliance was unquestionable. Roma’s Swedish boss Nils Liedholm said of him that “he never moved on the pitch without a reason. His passes were long, and perfect. He always ran with great elegance, with his head up.”

A creator of goals, Ago also boasted a superb scoring record for a midfielder, with a ratio of one goal in just over every four games. In the 1977-78 season he scored 10 (in a 16-team league), a tally most forwards would be proud of, whilst the season preceding that he chipped in with eight strikes. Even when in 1982 Di Bartolomei was moved into a more defensive position in front of the defence he continued to regularly find the back of the net, scoring seven league goals in the 1983 Scudetto-winning campaign.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Jorginho - Right back

Regarded as one of the best Brazilian right back of all time, and was part of the Brazilian team that won the 1994 World Cup. Quick, technically gifted, and hard-working

Last edited:

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Antonio Benarrivo - Left back

An indispensable player for Italy national team and WC 1994 finalist, and was described as "inexhaustible" due to his pace and stamina. He was also known for his attacking prowess and technique

1994 WC Last 16 against Nigeria

Clean sliding tackle to win the ball back

Supporting attacking, not just his burst of runs, but perfectly-timed pass as well

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Luis Pereira - Stopper

Widely considered to be the best central back in the Seleção's history. Luis Pereira played in World Cup in 1974 and was known for his pace and power, as well as his marking and defensive leadership. He was also very capable of building from the back that started many plays for the Brazilian team. He was also very successful at club level, played 562 games with Palmeiras (34 goals) and 171 games with Atlético Madrid (17 goals), including La Liga champions in 1977

Rinus Israel - Sweeper

The "Iron Rinus" - a robust and tough sweeper who was the rock of Feyenoord defense in the 1970 European Cup-winning team, and was described by Ernst Happel as "posed a presence as intimidating as Smaug defending his treasures on the Lonely Mountain."

Last edited:

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Regarding the 4-2-4 setup that GS has employed, he cannot, CANNOT afford to have someone like di Bartolomei in that midfield role. Every 2-man midfield had players who were energetic and able to cover lots of ground. di Bartolomei was NEVER a player who covered lots of ground;
Says Gerson and Clodoaldo in 1970 Brazil WC winning team
in fact, he had other players provide the mobility and energy in the midfield.
Which I have - Benetti, Gonzalez, Corso, Bene
Against our energetic, mobile midfield 3, I struggle to see how Benetti can hold our midfielders on his own. di Bartolomei needs another energetic midfielder to bring the best out of him in this game; this current setup fails to do that, and this will allow us even more control over the match.
Corso and Bene can track back and defend when needed

At the same time, my wing-play will stretch your midfield
Regarding Bene and Corso, yes, they are still very capable players out wide, no denying that. However, they are facing full backs who were comfortable with those sort of players who could drift inside and outside. Both Carboni and Tassotti were comfortable defending against such players who would drift out wide and then take on their markers or make runs inside. Both had the tactical awareness and defensive nous to read the attacking players' movements and cover the runs accordingly. Both were really tough to beat, and I struggle to see how Corso and Bene will have joy against our full backs.
You will have to deal with threat from both my winger and full back whom will join the attacking

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Franco Causio was not only just a flair player with an immaculate control of the ball as well as a great crossing ability, he was also hardworking and intelligent, a perfect foil for the zona mista system that Juve employed that made them a joy to watch as well as a tough nut to crack. Here, Causio will interchange seamlessly with Haller, drifting inside and combining with Skoglund, Crespo, and others. On the right, he'll be the perfect partner for Tassotti, who himself was amazing defensively and going forward, and with Causio on the right side, there's no way GS's left side can ever dominate ours.
Causio is actually not that good defensively. Most of the defensive work is done by the right-back behind him. On rare occasion, Causio would chase the opponent's winger down, but Causio is not as good as Bruno Conti

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i've calculated the age differences and the biggest issue that both teams have is that depending on what year the game was played in, half of the players would either be pensioners, embryos, toddlers or glints in eyes.

i've not seen much of rinus israel play but i'm fairly sure he'd stop an embryotic crespo running past him, even at the ripe ol' age of 42, if the game was played in the 80's. for that reason mazhar probably can't win. but this is football and the underdog might win so i'll have to vote for mazhar, it's the only way football can be the real winner.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
i've calculated the age differences and the biggest issue that both teams have is that depending on what year the game was played in, half of the players would either be pensioners, embryos, toddlers or glints in eyes.

i've not seen much of rinus israel play but i'm fairly sure he'd stop an embryotic crespo running past him, even at the ripe ol' age of 42, if the game was played in the 80's. for that reason mazhar probably can't win. but this is football and the underdog might win so i'll have to vote for mazhar, it's the only way football can be the real winner.
Good analysis but dont forget Marty1968 he's the brains behind this whole operation

RedTiger

Half mast

Good analysis but dont forget Marty1968 he's the brains behind this whole operation
Guys, no need to take the piss, I mean, it's just a bit of fun for us doing these drafts:)