Reserves Draft QF1 | green_smiley v Tuppet

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
green_smiley's Tactics

Team Instructions

Formation : 4-2-4

Attacking Play :
  1. Fast, counter-attacking football down both flanks
  2. Two centre-backs capable of starting attack from the back
  3. Both athletic and strong full-backs supporting attack behind wingers
  4. Both fast and skillful wingers are capable of putting pin-point crosses into the box, playing one-two passes, or cutting inside while dribbling past the opponent's defense and score
  5. Two tactical center midfielders dictating attacking play from the deep: provide accurate passes to forwards, and always on the look-out for any opportunity to score from long-range
  6. Two mobile and high work-rate forwards up-front: Magico Gonzalez capable of starting counter-attack from any way on the field with his demon-speed and dribbling skills; Ferenc Bene with his world-class technique and high scoring efficiency (303 goals in 418 appearances with Újpesti Dózsa)
Defensive Play :
  1. Fast and constant pressing when opposition has the ball, closing down their space and time, and getting ball as soon as possible to counter attack
  2. Both wingers with good defensive skills, capable of tracking back and defending against opponent's full backs
  3. Magico Gonzalez tracks back as far as half-way line only; and Ferenc Bene to disrupt any opposition's attempt to build attack from the back
  4. Two centre-backs with great defensive abilities: strong (at ground and in air), fast, great anticipation and positioning
Preferred Zone of Action : 70% Out wide; 30% Through the middle

Player Roles
  1. Vladimir Beara - Goalkeeper
  2. Jorginho - Attacking right-back
  3. Antonio Benarrivo - Attacking left-back
  4. Luis Pereira - Stopper
  5. Rinus Israel - Defensive sweeper
  6. Romeo Benetti - Defensive box-to-box midfielder
  7. Gianluca Zambrotta - Right winger
  8. Igor Netto - Dynamic central midifielder
  9. Ferenc Bene - Central Striker
  10. Magico Gonzalez - Free-role forward
  11. Mario Corso - Left winger
Upgrades from previous tactics (vs. mazhar13)
  1. Right wing - Zambrotta is better defensively than Bene, and he played at lateral positions throughout his career, be it full back or winger
  2. Center striker - Bene was a great winger, but he played there in Hungary national team to accommodate Albert. Most of his goals came from position of central striker, and he has better mobility than Dixie Dean (both offensive and defensive play)
  3. Central midfielder - Netto has no problem playing in 2-man midfield, even so when he has a robust and no-nonsense partner (Benetti) alongside him. Netto started out playing on the left of defense, so he would be comfortable when it comes to defensive play. Apart from his great technical abilities, he had great game-reading ability, which allowed him to split countless opposing defences from each other with his vision and passing skills
  4. Swap midfield position for Benetti - this further cements the defensive area on the right-hand side of midfield, while Netto is more comfortable on the left

Moby

Dick
Tuppet's Tactics

Team Tuppet Tactics

Team Instructions

Formation : Fluid 4-3-3

Playing Style : Possession based control strategy.

Defensive Line : Slightly higher than normal

Player Instructions

Amadeo Carrizo - Sweeper Keeper
Leandro Ferriera - Attacking Right wing back
Ciro Ferrara - Ball playing center back
Roberto Perfumo - Centre Back - Stopper
Renzo De Vecchi - Defensive Left back
Toninho Cerezo - Defensive Midfielder - Anchorman
Rainer Bonhof - Central Midfielder - Box-to-Box Midfielder
Valentino Mazzola - Attacking Midfielder - Advanced Playmaker
Felix Loutsau - Left winger - Goalscoring left Forward
Thomas Muller - Raumdeuter - Thomas Muller role. Goal scoring right forward
Florian Albert - False number 9 - Goalscoring all round creative forward.

Tactical Layout

The approach of the team is to control the midfield with quick movement and passing, before transitioning into lightning quick attacks down the flanks or slipping a through ball behind the lines.

We have a team where every player is comfortable with ball and our midfield should be able to dominate possession but we do not prioritize it, our main aim is to move the ball vertically quickly and use the blistering pace in our attack to create lots of chances.

Carrizo is widely known as the first sweeper keeper, rated the greatest south american goalkeeper by IFFHS, his presence lends confidence to our backline to push higher.

Roberto Perfumo and Ciro Ferrara is the standout defensive partnership on the pitch. “The Martial” is rated as one of Argentina’s top 3 defenders and has a highly successful club and International career. The classy Italian Ciro Ferrara provides expert positioning and is equally capable playing the ball out from the back.

On left I have Il Figlio di Dio" (The Son of God) , One of Italy’s greatest ever player and one of the finest defenders of all time Renzo De Vecchi. He would be more conservative of my fullbacks, allowing Leandro on the other end to play as attacking wing back and provide width on the right. A role he has played to perfection in Brazil 1982 and his club career. Leandro might get underrated here, but his honor list speaks for itself. 2 times Bola da Prata winner, he also won everything at club level including Copa Libertadoros. As a typical Brazilian attacking wing back there are very few better in the whole draft pool.

Midfield is comprised of Valentino Mazzola Bonhof and Cerezo. Equal part tenacious and technical this midfield should be able to dominate any other midfield. Cerezo is one of the finest defensive midfielder in the draft and just like in WC82 could carry the whole midfield himself. His partner would be lung busting Rainer bonhof. A World cup and multiple euro cup winner, while also winning the league on many occasions at club level, Bonhof has the credentials to go with his fearsome reputation. He is also widely recognized as game’s hardest free kick taker.

Finally the crown jewel of my midfield is Valentino Mazola, one of the greatest Italian player of all time. I found it difficult to put down a modern role and position for him as his role simply does not exist anymore and the only other player I know who played like him with similar result is Di Stefano. As a player he was everywhere, combining brilliant defensive engine with fantastic goal scoring and vision, probably the best way to describe him was -
“He alone is half the squad. The other half is made by the rest of us together.” (team-mate Mario Rigamonti).

He is regarded as first modern all round footballer, and was simply awesome at every phase of the game, from tackling to heading to scoring. And as an inspirational captain his record is probably unmatched, taking Torino to 5 league titles before he was cruelly taken away from footballing world.

Finally my attack is probably the strongest part of my team. Taking a false number 9 role is Ballon D'or winner Florian Albert, who is arguably the best attacker on the pitch. Considered a natural heir to legendary Hidegkuti Albert is perfectly suitable to this role. While he was known more for his creativity, dribbling and brilliant passing, he also has a stupendous goal scoring record scoring 256 goals in 351 appearances.

On left I have Felix Loustau, a key member of arguably the greatest attacking force La Maquina. Loustau was a fast, goalscoring winger with great crossing ability. He won 3 consecutive Copa America and scored more than 100 goals.

On the right side I have Thomas Muller probably the most underrated footballer of this generation. I don't think much needs to be said for a world cup golden boot, silver ball and silver boot winner but these 2 quotes sum up him perfectly -

Müller can’t beat you with his close ball control, he can’t beat you with his pace, and he can’t beat you with his dribbling skills. He just beats you.

Thomas Muller roams around the pitch with just one thought in his mind - "How can I score"

As a player his best quality is his game intelligence and goal scoring. The true hallmark of his greatness though is in the fact that the performance of both Bayern and Germany visibly drop when he is not on the field (guess who was suspended for that semi-final defeat against Spain in 2010). It shouldn’t – not with so many wonderful players on both teams – and yet there you have it. It’s almost eerie.

On the game, I think I have edge in almost all the key areas. It would be hard to contain the opposition and once again I am not counting on either side failing to score, but overall superiority of my attack and defense should translate into a win.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
My gameplan, like in previous match, is to fully utilize the strength of my team on the wings. During attacking phase, my fullback will support the winger from behind. Likewise when defending, my wingers are capable of tracking back and help out to regain possession

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Here showing some clips of Mario Carso from European Cup final 1963/64 vs. Real Madrid

Attacking
Accurate cross-field pass from left to right

Throughball

Dribbling (so good that his teammates fell down lol)

Defending

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Below youtube just showcase how brilliant Ferenc Bene was as attacker on that right-hand side

Exquisite techniques, fast, deadly, brilliant ball control and dribbling skill, also very strong link-up play upfront, capable of pulling the defense apart and picking up a pass for his attacking partner to score. You just need to watch the first few minutes to realize just how good Bene was

Below clips show his work-rate when tracking back to defend. These was from 1966 WC match against Bulgaria, when he was deployed as striker

Tuppet

Best of luck @green_smiley

I do have an irrational liking to 4-2-4 setups in general and I think its great for counter. Having said that Zambrotta as right winger at this level is just highly underwhelming IMO. He was a decent full back and can probably do a job, but since green_smiley's tactic depend so much on counter on wings, his role is highly important and I think he is just not cut for it. De Vecchi should have no troubles dealing with him.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sure, the positioning of Zambrotta is surprising.

He is versatile but used to play as a wing back (4-4-2) or an outfield midfielder in a 3-5-2 system.

Maybe, the idea is simply to block Loustau and have a defensive right-wing.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Best of luck @green_smiley

I do have an irrational liking to 4-2-4 setups in general and I think its great for counter. Having said that Zambrotta as right winger at this level is just highly underwhelming IMO. He was a decent full back and can probably do a job, but since green_smiley's tactic depend so much on counter on wings, his role is highly important and I think he is just not cut for it. De Vecchi should have no troubles dealing with him.
Yup, another hyperbole. Reminds me of why I hate the draft sometimes

Tuppet

Yup, another hyperbole. Reminds me of why I hate the draft sometimes
There is no hyperbole there. I don't know man, if you hate drafts because someone called out playing a full back as a winger in a game which sports some of history's greatest players, well you are probably going to hate it a lot more before this game is done.

Your players sucks, your team shite, bla bla bla
:confused: Should we just not have any discussion ?

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
There is no hyperbole there. I don't know man, if you hate drafts because someone called out playing a full back as a winger in a game which sports some of history's greatest players, well you are probably going to hate it a lot more before this game is done.

:confused: Should we just not have any discussion ?
Like you have started?

I still haven't decided if I want to continue or not. Depending on my mood next, but carry on :angel:

Tuppet

Like you have started?

I still haven't decided if I want to continue or not. Depending on my mood next, but carry on :angel:
Again I don't know man, if calling out a player I don't think is best fit in highly important position in your tactic was wrong ? just how I thought these discussions supposed to go.

Anyway, I will try and focus only on my players in this game, Don't ruin your mood over draft threads I suppose.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Again I don't know man, if calling out a player I don't think is best fit in highly important position in your tactic was wrong ? just how I thought these discussions supposed to go.

Anyway, I will try and focus only on my players in this game, Don't ruin your mood over draft threads I suppose.
Passive aggressive, I like

Not influencing you or what. Just do what you think is best :)

Skizzo

Well I would give Zambrotta more credit than saying he's a decent full back...but I can't help but agree that as a winger in an all time context, he's rather underwhelming.

If he was tasked in a very specific marking or defensive job against a rampaging left back/winger, then I could see the benefit of playing him there absolutely. But as a winger, I just can't really get on board with that.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Blimey! This accursed draft needs a dose of positivity.

:)

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I haven't got a clue what's going on but I voted for tuppet because it sounds like sheep shagging.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm not sure about selling it as a 4-2-4 when in practice Zambrotta will work the flank and play to his own strengths. He was a fine wide midfielder for Juventus and, while he'll never be a star of this show, can easily do a job there. It's one of those uncomfortable truths - he often played there and did a decent job for Juve. A bit like how they also played Nedved through the middle fairly regularly. Yet you stick Nedved through the middle in a draft and all hell would break loose.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Total of 26 posts.

The top poster was @Tuppet with 11 posts

That is why I voted for him -- despite his early & surprising withdrawal -- to reward his efforts during this draft.