Reserves Draft | Sjor 9-4 Physiocrat

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team Sjor Bepo & Invictus

Team Physiocrat

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team Sjor Bepo & Invictus:

Team Instructions

Formation: 433
Playing Style: Vertical Possession
Defensive Line: Normal
Preferred Zone of Action: Midfield and wide attacking areas

Player Roles

Ronnie Hellström - Goalkeeper - Commanding In-Box Goalkeeper

Manfred Kaltz - Rightback - Support
Billy Wright - Center Half - Balanced
Karl-Heinz Förster - Central Defender - Vorstopper
Marinho Chagas - Left Wingback - Support

Néstor Rossi - Defensive Midfielder - Destroyer
Gérson de Oliveira - Central Midfielder - Playmaker
Thomas Häßler - Midfielder - Roaming Midfielder

Raimundo Orsi - Winger - Left Outside Forward
Julinho - Winger - Right Wing Forward
Luigi Riva - Striker - All-Round Center Forward

Player Profiles

Tactics

We have the best central midfielder in the draft, and a complementary support cast - so the plan is to dominate the game in possession, which will give our creative players more chances of creating goal chances for themselves, and for the clinical Riva up front. All the while, the defense is extremely strong, and gives us a quality base to build on.

Without the Ball

My former AM loves his wingers more then @Cal? loves Ronaldo, so the main focus of the game will certainly be wing play. The basic blueprint to minimize, or shackle his attack is as follows:
  • Even if you factor in the appeal of this being a United board, from a purely objective standpoint - Kanchelkis does seem a bit out of place in present company (as do the likes of Hummels - by a significant margin to add, but whatever). And we are pretty comfortable with Marinho bottling his influence.
  • Zagallo is up against Kaltz, and that will be a great battle. The plan is to make Zagallo defend more then he will attack - especially with Julinho up against Evra. When defending, Kaltz will have the help of Wright (who will pitch in when Zagallo cuts inside), as well as the industrious Häßler.
  • Förster - who is one of the best man markers in history of the game, and probably the best central defender in the draft pool - will help mark Taylor in our setup. Another favorable battle.
  • Kaká possesses the pace to rip apart any defensive midfielder in this pool, so marking him in man would admittedly be futile. The plan is to squeeze the pitch as much possible in the middle, and clog up the area - in a way that limits time and space on the ball for him. Rossi was a legendary destroyer, and he will form a bank in front of Kaká, with two defensive juggernauts acting as the next level of containment.
With the Ball

The plan is quite simple, yet effective - and utilizes the strengths of the best central midfield playmaker in the draft pool - who can take over entire games with his cunning and wondrous left peg. His team-mates with conspire to guarantee that Gérson sees the ball early and often to put his mark on the match.

Aiding us in the build-up from the back is Wright at center-half - who was quite adept at moving the chains without compromising on defensive fortitude:
He was a team player who never tried to seek personal glory. He turned simplicity into an art form. - Walter Winterbottom
Anchoring the midfield is the legendary Argentine Rossi - who played the exact same role for La Máquina's total football pioneers, as well as Millonarios' infamous Ballet Azul, Argentina in the late 50s and early 60s, and River Plate again with Omar Sívori. Apart from being a defensive monster, Rossi was relatively comfortable on the ball, and adept at sniffing out quick, simple passing opportunities - which will definitely benefit Gérson.

Rounding off the complete trio is the pint sized German dynamo Häßler - who's as safe as a bank when it comes to tactical coherence in almost any midfield setup. He will have a bit of freedom to provide forward forays, and link up with Gérson in a way that benefits both players - Gérson dictating the game, and Häßler buzzing all over in perfect sync. When Häßler comes short, they can play little triangles with Rossi and our wide men which will open the space on the other side. There are other options, most prominently a move where Häßler drifts away from Gerson which gives us 2 options - when Häßler opens himself in unmarked territory, Gérson has the cunning to key in on pockets with a deft pass, or even drive forward with the ball himself. The possibilities are practically limitless with this duo.

Onto the wide attackers, and we have two legends of the game in Raimundo Orsi and Julinho - dribbling wizards, tricksters and goalscorers - also capable of opening both the outside and inside channels - which will further benefit Marinho and Kaltz. And they have the perfect distributor in the center of the park to benefit off in Gérson - who loved to pepper balls all over the park, and especially his trademark floaters out wide. And up front is the majestic Riva to provide a dangerous, all-round spearhead for the attack, and be the focal point for Bananenflanke on the right - to provide another dimension to the team. :drool:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team Physiocrat:

Team Instructions
Formation : 4-4-2
Playing Style : Attacking, direct/mixed approach

Defensive Line : Normal
Preferred Zone of Action: Balanced with a preference for the flanks

Player Instructions

Toldo - Goalkeeper - Stop Goals
G. Neville- Right Back -Defensive

Hummels- Centre Back -Ball-Playing CB
W. Samuel- Centre Back -Stopper
Evra- Left Back -Attacking Full-Back
Cerezo- Central Midfielder -Holding Midfielder
Modric- Central Midfielder -Midfield Playmaker
Kanchelskis- Right Winger -Attacking Winger

Zagallo- Left Winger -Balanced Winger
Kaka- Second-Striker -Creative Goalscorer
T.Taylor- Striker -Cultured Target Man

Overall Tactics

The team will focus on quick direct attacks utilising the passing ability of Hummels, Cerezo and Modric to unleash the front two and wingers, in particular Kanchelskis and Kaka with their pace and dribbling ability to carve open the opposition to play in the deadly Taylor by through ball or cross. If however, a slower approach is needed Modric and Cerezo can pull-strings in the middle in addition to Kaka dropping deep, with Evra overlapping Zagallo providing more options.

Anticipated line-up from Sjor/Invictus:

----------------Riva------------------
Orsi---------Scarone-----Hassler/Julinho
----------Gerson--Rossi-------
Marinho--Wright--Forster---Kaltz
-------------- Hellström---------------

Defence:

A complementary back four. An attacking full back in Evra who will overlap Zagallo. A classic stopper in W. Samuel who also played LCB so can cover if required when Evra bombs on. A ball-playing CB in Hummels who reads the game well, has a great eye for a pass and can step up into midfield on occasions and initiate attacks. G. Neville will adopt probably his best role, which he didn't often play, as a defensive RB. Ferguson said he would have been a great CB if he'd been taller. This will allow Kanchelskis to focus solely on attack.

Midfield:

Cerezo will be the primary holding midfielder shielding the defence with his energetic play particularly when Hummels forays forward, however his quick passing and vision will help initiate attacks from deep. Modric will have more play a more advanced role, being the heart-beat of the team utilising his excellent passing range and creativity. Zagallo will play his balanced winger role he played in '58 providing width but with defensive responsibility to complement the pure attacking play of Kanchelskis with his trickery, pace and crossing – also in the 94/95 season with Utd he scored 14 goals in 30 games.

Forwards:

Kaka will use his dribbling and pace ,in addition to his none too shabby passing, to score and open up Sjor's defence; he had a 1 in 2 goalscoring record at his peak when he played in a similar position alongside Shevchenko. Taylor is a complete beast in the air and had a fierce shot. Most surprisingly though, his build up play was excellent and could drift outwide, left or right to link the play. He also has the record for the highest goals per game ratio of any Utd player over his entire career at 0.685 goals per game (it's a tiny bit better than Ruud's)

VivaJanuzaj

Love the 4-4-2 attempt and it's a much better use of the Kaka-Modric teaming than @Enigma_87 used in the last draft imo. Cerezo-Modric seem like a great CM duo for the 4-4-2 here.

Enigma_87

You know who
Love the 4-4-2 attempt and it's a much better use of the Kaka-Modric teaming than @Enigma_87 used in the last draft imo. Cerezo-Modric seem like a great CM duo for the 4-4-2 here.
On the contrary I think 3 central midfielders will do him better, as he'll have more service, otherwise in the formation above against a 3 central midfielders on the other side Modric and Cerezo will have a lot to do which might either burden him with more defensive work, going deeper to get the ball or isolated up front.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
On the contrary I think 3 central midfielders will do him better, as he'll have more service, otherwise in the formation above against a 3 central midfielders on the other side Modric and Cerezo will have a lot to do which might either burden him with more defensive work, going deeper to get the ball or isolated up front.
You are forgetting Zagallo. He was the player that made Pele, Didi and Garrincha work in the Brazil '58 team. He also played more of a centralish role in '62 so will provide a lot of aid in midfield.

Also given the fact Sjor is playing quite vertically I don't expect him to have much more possesion than me, so the 3 vs 2 won't be a huge issue.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
VJ is known for his admiration of a good 4-4-2

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
How good is Marinho defensively? From what I've seen he's handy going forward but Kanchelskis was a really handful at his peak and terrorised even Maldini.

Also Katlz is quality but having a trio of Kaka, Zagallo and Evra in the left and inside left channel. This would be a severe task for anyone.

Also Forster won't just gobble up Taylor.

A strong, selfless player who had the stamina to spend 90 minutes at full stretch, Tommy was often at his best when drifting wide to the right, pulling defenders with him and interchanging positions with Johnny Berry. Such a ploy produced Johnny's unforgettable winner against Atletico Bilbao in the quarter-final of the 1956/57 European Cup.
He is not just a lumpen target man. If you see the '57 FA Cup Final you'll see his short passing and overall movement is excellent. Also Di Stefano called him "Magnifico". With the service he'll get here he will score.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Can't get my head around both teams. Nestor Rossi - Gerson would have been a fantastic duo, but how will Hassler add to the dynamic. I don't think Gerson is good in this role here. Even in 70, he had Rivellino drifting in and Pele dropping back ahead of him in the middle.

Not sure on Kaka's role here too. With just 1 striker, Kaka will be facing Rossi directly and how effective will that be?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Can't get my head around both teams. Nestor Rossi - Gerson would have been a fantastic duo, but how will Hassler add to the dynamic. I don't think Gerson is good in this role here. Even in 70, he had Rivellino drifting in and Pele dropping back ahead of him in the middle.

Not sure on Kaka's role here too. With just 1 striker, Kaka will be facing Rossi directly and how effective will that be?
I like Hassler's role here, adding some dynamism and ball-carrying to a midfield that might otherwise be a bit static and deep-lying.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Alright, since Bepo isn't around, the underling will give this a crack.

How good is Marinho defensively? From what I've seen he's handy going forward but Kanchelskis was a really handful at his peak and terrorised even Maldini.
To be fair, I'd rather not indulge in this type of a comparison. Kanchelkis may have given Maldini some problems, but it wasn't indicative of his overall stature (just like Nani being a problem for Cole didn't stop the latter from taming Ronaldo on several occasions, or Evra being molested by freaking Lennon shouldn't be used as a broader argument) - which is something we have alluded to in the writeup. What Kanchelkis did or didn't do to Maldini in some isolated match shouldn't have a bearing here, in terms of projection.

And to answer the question - Marinho was quite good defensively. Not the best defender in the world by any means, to say that would be devious, and plain incorrect. But he was very balanced, and infact, a lot of Brazilians consider him to be their third most balanced leftback after Nilton and Júnior. Reckon he's one of the best backs in the pool from a balance standpoint, so fully expect him to keep a close tab on Kanchelkis.
Also Katlz is quality but having a trio of Kaka, Zagallo and Evra in the left and inside left channel. This would be a severe task for anyone.
Conversely, Kaltz was a better defender than Evra, who'll be up against Julinho - one of the greatest wingers in football history (who also had good workrate up and down the flank, might I add), apart from Kaltz himself when he bombs up, and Häßler - who will complete the triangle on the right - given his free role. Fair to say, Patrice might have more to worry about here, than his counterpart on the other end.
Also Forster won't just gobble up Taylor.
Didn't specify that KHF will gobble Taylor - the key word was 'favorable' - for our team in a 1v1 matchup sense. KHF was the top, top European stopper at his peak - who was regularly voted German defender of the Year, and was voted in two successive EURO All-Star teams from the early to mid '80s (don't think many will argue with that), and I'd daresay he's even a tad overqualified for the role given that he tasked with marking the likes of Platini on the international stage.
Nestor Rossi - Gerson would have been a fantastic duo, but how will Hassler add to the dynamic. I don't think Gerson is good in this role here. Even in 70, he had Rivellino drifting in and Pele dropping back ahead of him in the middle.
It's fairly simple to be honest - Rossi breaks down plays, and sets things up for Gérson on a platter, and Häßler is the third wheel who opens up the field with his dynamic style of play, ventures forward, and even chips in with his extensive workrate. Rossi and Gérson would've been excellent from a qualitative sense, but Häßler brings invaluable effervescence to that part of the pitch. In some ways, because of his multi functionality - Häßler can act a link from Gérson to Riva; and also - Orsi operated on both - the inside and outside channels - so in a positional sense, his role isn't too different from Rivelino, though admittedly he was more of a dribbler than a playmaker like Rivelino. The overarching point is that given that these are fantasy drafts, we should be allowed certain flexibilities based on skillset, rather than regurgitating historical setups - because that wouldn't be fun, at all.
What does the backwards arrow on Kaltz is supposed to represent? @Šjor Bepo @Invictus
That he's slightly more cautious than Marinho in his defensive duties. We wanted to relay this description in graphic form (without fudging up his overall attacking output on the other end on the pitch):
Manfred Kaltz - Rightback - Support
Marinho Chagas - Left Wingback - Support
Minor functional difference, but we thought it merited an extra arrow just to make thing clear.

harms

Staff
Sjor's team is actually very similar to mine. Outstanding attacking right-back, two classic wingers, the only difference is less mobile but better at passing (especially long one) Gerson instead of box-to-box Netto. Even the arrows on Hassler are almost identical to the ones on Zizinho. The core of their defence is better though.

So far I'm inclined to vote for them.

harms

Staff
That he's slightly more cautious than Marinho in his defensive duties. We wanted to relay this description in graphic form (without fudging up his overall attacking output on the other end on the pitch):
Minor functional difference, but we thought it merited an extra arrow just to make thing clear.
Then I'm surprised tbf. I imagined that you would want Kaltz to be the more attacking one of the two, especially with Riva in the box.
Don't know much about Chagas - is he worth it? You're essentially shifting attacking balance to the left (I hope that this thought is understandable, my English is particularly poor today)

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Then I'm surprised tbf. I imagined that you would want Kaltz to be the more attacking one of the two, especially with Riva in the box.
Don't know much about Chagas - is he worth it? You're essentially shifting attacking balance to the left (I hope that this thought is understandable, my English is particularly poor today)
Kaltz will still contribute heavily in the build up but he will be more cautious in his movement as he is against attacking fullback and a better winger then Chagas is facing. Chagas is facing only Kanchelskis as Neville is ordered to stay in defensive line so he will have much more freedom in going up + Kaltz has Julinho in front who can easily do the job without any support, not that he wont have one.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Just to echo Bepo's thoughts - They're both attacking, we aren't shackling Kaltz down or anything. But, since Kaltz was the better defender of the two, we thought we'd signify that, and acknowledge the fact that he'll be up against a good wide player in Zagallo. Plus, Marinho might be a smaller name, but very important for the attacking balance of the left flank - especially given Neville's defensive function, and also - in terms of being a bridge to Gérson because he attacked with his right foot and came into the inside channels quite frequently:
So, in a sense - he's another auxiliary playmaker to supplement the left flank, and provides another top quality outlet for Gérson (around whom this team is designed given that he was the first pick). And he can be the real difference maker here in terms of dictating the tempo of the game, and keeping the opposition on a backfoot.

EDIT: Spoilered video link.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
To be fair, I'd rather not indulge in this type of a comparison. Kanchelkis may have given Maldini some problems, but it wasn't indicative of his overall stature (just like Nani being a problem for Cole didn't stop the latter from taming Ronaldo on several occasions, or Evra being molested by freaking Lennon shouldn't be used as a broader argument) - which is something we have alluded to in the writeup. What Kanchelkis did or didn't do to Maldini in some isolated match shouldn't have a bearing here, in terms of projection.
That's fair. I just thought the out of place comment on Kanchelskis was somehwat harsh.

Conversely, Kaltz was a better defender than Evra, who'll be up against Julinho - one of the greatest wingers in football history (who also had good workrate up and down the flank, might I add), apart from Kaltz himself when he bombs up, and Häßler - who will complete the triangle on the right - given his free role. Fair to say, Patrice might have more to worry about here, than his counterpart on the other end.
Well Julinho may well have good work rate but Zagallo was reknowned for his balance he brought to the '58 side and will dovetail perfectly with Evra like he did with N.Santos. Also I think Evra's defensive ability is underated because he got lazy towards his Utd career and didn't run back much and was out of position. In his younger days this positional issue simply did not exist since he got back.

Didn't specify that KHF will gobble Taylor - the key word was 'favorable' - for our team in a 1v1 matchup sense. KHF was the top, top European stopper at his peak - who was regularly voted German defender of the Year, and was voted in two successive EURO All-Star teams from the early to mid '80s (don't think many will argue with that), and I'd daresay he's even a tad overqualified for the role given that he tasked with marking the likes of Platini on the international stage.
I misread your OP, I thought it said Forster will mark Taylor out of the game. Also I've been in situations before which people argue big striker vs big defender, defender wins. So I'm trying to point out Taylor is much more than Chris Sutton.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
As even Bepo admits Kaka will need to be stopped by an entire team effort not just by Rossi. Kaka is to be a creative second-striker. Pick up the ball in central areas and dribble at pace. Then either play in Kancheslkis, Zagallo or Taylor or shoot. It's quite similar to when he played off Shevchenko at Milan. When Crespo left he played further forward. In fact in this team Kaka actually has more options than his later Milan team.

Enigma_87

You know who
You are forgetting Zagallo. He was the player that made Pele, Didi and Garrincha work in the Brazil '58 team. He also played more of a centralish role in '62 so will provide a lot of aid in midfield.

Also given the fact Sjor is playing quite vertically I don't expect him to have much more possesion than me, so the 3 vs 2 won't be a huge issue.
I think Zagallo will have a work load on the left both offensively and defensively with Hassler running into that space and Julinho there as well, restricting a bit his effect centrally.

Sjor/Invictus side is one of my favorite really from the first round(along with harms and Red Tiger ones) - excellent backline especially central defence, Rossi/Gerson combo is really mouthwatering, probably I'd include a different player than Hassler in that formation, but still it's a good choice, 2 creative wingers and Riva up top.

On the other side - Cerezo/Modric - great pair as others mentioned. Kaka obviously I rate a lot, don't think Rossi will cope alone with him there has to be another one to watch the space if Kaka breaks through. Zagallo - I'll give Physio the edge there on the left wing.

While the midfield and attack are comparable, close and you can favor one or the other, Sjor/Invictus defence really nails it tho. Especially seeing Hummels these days...

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Also I think Evra's defensive ability is underated because he got lazy towards his Utd career and didn't run back much and was out of position. In his younger days this positional issue simply did not exist since he got back.
Aye, there weren't many better than Evra at balancing defensive responsibility with providing a relentless outlet on the overlap. Apart from an underwhelming final pass at times, he was incredible at his peak. It saddens me a bit in these drafts when Ashley Cole is (fairly) viewed as an excellent pick at left back, and then Evra is nowhere to be seen.

My first impression is that Sjor/Invictus have the better defence, but Evra is a plus point in your favour.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
@Physiocrat Who is that Taylor guy, where do you think he stands in football all time history, what's his playstyle and what exactly will he bring to your team beside goals? (sorry I'm not all that versed in MUFC history)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Physiocrat Who is that Taylor guy, where do you think he stands in football all time history, what's his playstyle and what exactly will he bring to your team beside goals? (sorry I'm not all that versed in MUFC history)
Our CF during the Busby Babes era. Was killed in Munich. Has a good reputation of being a complete CF. Hard to rate him in an all time context. Based on minimal stuff I know about him, I'd put him as a traditional CF, presence in box, hold up and able to bring others into play.

Šjor Bepo

With little or no debate at the moment we decided to give you a peak into what Häßler brings to the team, and why he's a good fit for the role as a priority target through the drafting process (from his offensive output, to movement in the final third, and dynamism):

VivaJanuzaj

VJ is known for his admiration of a good 4-4-2
Hard to deny that.

What I mean is that I believe Modric-Cerezo as a midfield duo with Kaka in a 4-4-1-1 with the duo as the CM pair, is better use of Modric and Kaka tbf than in the diamond you had(can't seem to remember who were the other two). Modric in a 4-4-2 with a strong defensive CM like Cerezo could be excellent, Modric has the abilities to single-handedly dominate midfields, and with Kaka linking up with him in the final third and the good wing players, I can see him thriving. The problem with the 4-4-2 diamond was the lack of space Modric had to operate in central areas and the big defensive duty you had for him - there would be a huge difference between the movement Kaka will do behind a single striker or behind two strikers, and the way I see it Modric's natural movements will work better with Kaka when he's in a more advanced role.

Anyway, I think you had a great team mate just not the best use of Modric, but that's just the annoying Modric fanboy speaking :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
Hard to deny that.

What I mean is that I believe Modric-Cerezo as a midfield duo with Kaka in a 4-4-1-1 with the duo as the CM pair, is better use of Modric and Kaka tbf than in the diamond you had(can't seem to remember who were the other two). Modric in a 4-4-2 with a strong defensive CM like Cerezo could be excellent, Modric has the abilities to single-handedly dominate midfields, and with Kaka linking up with him in the final third and the good wing players, I can see him thriving. The problem with the 4-4-2 diamond was the lack of space Modric had to operate in central areas and the big defensive duty you had for him - there would be a huge difference between the movement Kaka will do behind a single striker or behind two strikers, and the way I see it Modric's natural movements will work better with Kaka when he's in a more advanced role.

Anyway, I think you had a great team mate just not the best use of Modric, but that's just the annoying Modric fanboy speaking :lol:
To be fair I don't think 3-5-2(or 5-3-2 for that matter), 4-3-3 or 4-4-2(4-4-1-1) would make a difference for Modric. With two attacking full backs/wing backs in 4-3-3/5-3-2 you pretty much have the same options for him on the wing as you would with a conventional 4-4-2 especially with the ball.

The diamond is pretty close in shape to 4-3-3 also, if your DM pushes up and your AM pushes up effectively creates the 4-3-3 outlay.

Sure in the last draft it needed some tuning up until the final, but at the end Hierro as DM, Davids as LCM, Modric as RCM and Kaka as AM behind 2 strikers in Villa/Sheva and 2 attacking full backs in Cafu/Alaba makes it as optimal as you can get for Kaka to shine :)

Not that Physio approach is bad, but without a DM especially against an extra man in midfield on the other side it will be tough for Modric to do his thing as he'll have much more defensive work to do in this game against this opposition. I think even you made that remark in one of my games in terms of defensive load :lol: And yeah I'm Modric/Kaka fan boy as well.

In fact the reason why I still haven't voted on this one yet(I think Sjor/Invictus side is better overall) is because the 3 (out of 4 Modric, Kaka, Cerezo, Gerson) players I like personally are in Physio's side.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
He was a target man style player who was excellent in the air but was also pretty mobile, he could drift left and right and also link up play very well, he had a good short pass on him. For a more modern comparison he's similar to Christian Vieri. Unfortunately the only good lot of footage which gives an all rounf view is the '57 FA Cup Final vs Villa.

VivaJanuzaj

Sure in the last draft it needed some tuning up until the final, but at the end Hierro as DM, Davids as LCM, Modric as RCM and Kaka as AM behind 2 strikers in Villa/Sheva and 2 attacking full backs in Cafu/Alaba makes it as optimal as you can get for Kaka to shine :)
Yeah of course, no team was perfect, but I still think that if you wanted the best of either of Modric or Kaka you'd be better off with someone like Hierro as DM, Davids as LCM, B2B as RCM(Seedorf or anyone in that style). At the beginning, and correct me if I'm mistaken, you had a DM who wasn't a creative type in the Pirlo vibe, and the LCM was Schneider who was also pretty adventurous, with Modric & Kaka. That is very far off getting the best of either. The Hierro-Davids-Modric-Kaka theme yeah it works for Kaka very well, but not as well for Modric who isn't the type for a diamond.
And yeah, those Full backs&strikers were perfect.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think too much is being made of the 2 vs 3 in midfield again especially since it's only really Hassler who will provide much energy in there. Modric and Cerezo are both complete mobile midfielders, along with Zagallo helping out they will have space to work. This will allow Modric to do this:

He can pick out Kaka in the inside left channel who can use his exceptional acceleration to glide past Wright/ Forster (neither of whom were the quickest). Lest we forget how good Kaka was at Milan see this: his dribbling from deepish positions is exactly what I'm asking of him during attacks.

In addition if Modric glides the ball inside the full-back Kanchelskis can really cause problems:

I really think the pace of Kanchelskis (when he cuts in) and Kaka could be a real problem for his two CBs and DM.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Our CF during the Busby Babes era. Was killed in Munich. Has a good reputation of being a complete CF. Hard to rate him in an all time context. Based on minimal stuff I know about him, I'd put him as a traditional CF, presence in box, hold up and able to bring others into play.
He was a target man style player who was excellent in the air but was also pretty mobile, he could drift left and right and also link up play very well, he had a good short pass on him. For a more modern comparison he's similar to Christian Vieri. Unfortunately the only good lot of footage which gives an all rounf view is the '57 FA Cup Final vs Villa.
Thanks.

I will look into the players I know less about before making my decision.

Šjor Bepo

I think too much is being made of the 2 vs 3 in midfield again especially since it's only really Hassler who will provide much energy in there. Modric and Cerezo are both complete mobile midfielders, along with Zagallo helping out they will have space to work.
I think its being made to little, perspectives eh? :)
They are against 3 top class midfielders that suit each other very well in our opinion. Zagallo will be occupied with ever present Kaltz so if he goes inside Kaltz will have time and space to volchure forwards and send in his famous bananenflanken for Riva who is fantastic in the air.

He can pick out Kaka in the inside left channel who can use his exceptional acceleration to glide past Wright/ Forster (neither of whom were the quickest). Lest we forget how good Kaka was at Milan see this: his dribbling from deepish positions is exactly what I'm asking of him during attacks.
Kaka will be in congested midfield area marked mainly by Rossi and if and when he cuts loose and escapes the shackles of our midfield he will have the great Billy Wright sweeping behind.

In addition if Modric glides the ball inside the full-back Kanchelskis can really cause problems:
Chagas is right footed so that helps a lot when defending the inside channel.

I really think the pace of Kanchelskis (when he cuts in) and Kaka could be a real problem for his two CBs and DM.
We agree but also think we have much bigger threat on the other side.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Another even match-up. It's hard to pick a winner here. Tactically both look sound. I've got no issues with Physio's 4-4-1-1: it's solid, sensible with wide players used to operating in that kind of set-up and central players suited to holding positionally rather than careering forward. Sjor and Invictus look pretty tidy as well: my only question would be to what extent will that very rigorous central defensive trio have the pace to deal with a bursting Kaka? I can see how they match up well to Tommy, but Kaka's athleticism would be a different beast entirely.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Sjor and Invictus look pretty tidy as well: my only question would be to what extent will that very rigorous central defensive trio have the pace to deal with a bursting Kaka? I can see how they match up well to Tommy, but Kaka's athleticism would be a different beast entirely.
My thoughts entirely. The DM and CBs aren't the quickest. Kaka could make all the difference.

I think its being made to little, perspectives eh? :)
They are against 3 top class midfielders that suit each other very well in our opinion. Zagallo will be occupied with ever present Kaltz so if he goes inside Kaltz will have time and space to volchure forwards and send in his famous bananenflanken for Riva who is fantastic in the air.
If Rossi was more mobile I think you'd have a great midfield three. The lack of all mobility allows Cerezo and Modric more space than they'd otherwise which is a problem with quick direct options literally left, right and centre.

Certainly, Kaltz could on occasions whip it in but both my CBs like yours are particularly good in the air so I don't see that as a necessarily good route to goal.

Šjor Bepo

Another even match-up. It's hard to pick a winner here. Tactically both look sound. I've got no issues with Physio's 4-4-1-1: it's solid, sensible with wide players used to operating in that kind of set-up and central players suited to holding positionally rather than careering forward. Sjor and Invictus look pretty tidy as well: my only question would be to what extent will that very rigorous central defensive trio have the pace to deal with a bursting Kaka? I can see how they match up well to Tommy, but Kaka's athleticism would be a different beast entirely.
from our OP said:
Kaká possesses the pace to rip apart any defensive midfielder in this pool, so marking him in man would admittedly be futile. The plan is to squeeze the pitch as much possible in the middle, and clog up the area - in a way that limits time and space on the ball for him. Rossi was a legendary destroyer, and he will form a bank in front of Kaká, with two defensive juggernauts acting as the next level of containment.
Kaka will be in congested midfield area marked mainly by Rossi and if and when he cuts loose and escapes the shackles of our midfield he will have the great Billy Wright sweeping behind.
@Physiocrat

"Strength, temperament, management, skill, presence, transmission, influence.Everything had Pipo. It is permanent. What no discussion. The sum of all attributes. Of all shades. And incorruptible fidelity to the well played ball. And an insult to the guy who hits it up, which takes it out long and far, which does not make it roll on the floor. " This was defined in 1965 Figure in a note that was titled Now they call No. 5, before they said Pipo. Rossi had all that and more, because it was a giant in an age of giants a central midfielder centrojás or old school with its panoramic vision to move ahead and drew revenue from its good punch.
He isnt Gattuso type player that he will run around the pitch like an idiot and try to tackle Kaka. He will use his head(positioning, clever movement) and his presence to stop Kaka with the help of his teammates. Pace as such isnt really important as our plan to stop Kaka is to make the pitch the smallest as it can be and use our numerical advantage in midfield to give him as little space and time as possible with Rossi being his main guardian.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I have to participate in this thread tomorrow morning because I understand there is 'posts quota'.