Reserves first game

oskarutd

Foster features for Reserves

Ben Foster lines up in goal for United's Reserves on Thursday evening, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side start the new Premier Reserve League season.

The Norwegian's side clocked up a nine-match unbeaten run in pre-season, and will face Blackburn Rovers at the Marston's Arena on Thursday evening.

Ahead of Foster, a familiar-looking defence of Rafael da Silva, Richard Eckersley, James Chester and David Gray lines up, with Fabio da Silva ruled out by a shoulder injury.

Darron Gibson, Rodrigo Possebon, Danny Drinkwater, Sam Hewson and Tom Cleverley comprise a strong midfield, who will try to get forward in support of lone striker Danny Welbeck.

Tonight's match is live on MUTV, with coverage beginning at 6:30pm. Fans wishing to attend the game can purchase tickets on the turnstiles, priced £5 for adults and £2 for concessions, with free entry for season ticket holders.

United: Foster; Rafael, Eckersley, Chester, Gray; Gibson, Possebon, Drinkwater, Hewson, Cleverley; Welbeck.
Substitutes: Zieler, Stewart, Eikrem, C Evans, Macheda.

Source.

PS18

Drinkwater's not had any serious injuries recently. Slight knock last week ruled him out of the England U19 game but he's played all through pre-season and he's done very well.

PS18

Robbie Fowler's playing for Blackburn by the way (upfront alongside Roque Santa Cruz's little brother Julio), if anyone needs any further incentive to go along...

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Good to see Drinkwaters name there, I think Im right in saying hes only coming back off a serious enough injury. Impressed me alot in the 2nd half of last season.
He missed much of 2006 with back trouble but he pretty much had a full season last season.

PS18

Because Blackburn signed him but he's too fat too play for the first-team yet, I'd imagine.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Because Blackburn signed him but he's too fat too play for the first-team yet, I'd imagine.
He's definitely fat.

I didn't even know Blackburn had signed him. Odd move. He hasn't been a Premiership quality striker for fecking years

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not a bad game this.

Possebon not really on form though, and it's hurting us a bit

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
good game (though few chances and none for united) Fowler with a decent half chance and he hit it over the bar. class

Possebon shocker of a start but has done alright. Hasn't not quite mastered the tackle but got fed up mid way and nearly injured himself throwing himself into a tackle. Never saw him take a free kick before. He took it twice and I don't think we'll want to see him take another free kick for a very long time :)..

Clevery clever, eckersley and rafael good but without a final ball as of yet, too many long balls from foster, wellbeck isolated

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
He's definitely fat.

I didn't even know Blackburn had signed him. Odd move. He hasn't been a Premiership quality striker for fecking years
Just Incey helping out an old friend I would imagine.

Pretty similar to Keane signing Andy Cole last season.

PS18

Just a twist, landed awkwardly. Shouldn't be out long at all.

Pretty poor performance it has to be said, very disjointed. Barely made their keeper work at all. Don't think anyone will have done anything to force themselves into the reckoning for the carling cup game next week, bar maybe Rafael who was probably pencilled in already.

Striker10

ended 0-0. Some good performances but wellbeck was isolated. The italian lad came on (who i can't spell) we went with two up top (10 minutes to go) and didn't get much of a chance.

Foster'll be alright in a few weeks hopefully. he was smiling as he was helped off, probably can't believe his bad luck

Lot 49

Doom
What specifically was Possebon doing wrong?

Bad passing, poor workrate or what.

Striker10

What specifically was Possebon doing wrong?

Bad passing, poor workrate or what.
alittle off the pace passing wise, especially early on. He didn't exactly have a 'shocker' and was subbed on about 60 minutes for stewart to give us some width.

He did some decent passes but was on the edge of the game more then anything else. lost possession about 3/4 times

We played with only wellbeck up top with one/two of the midfielders breaking and it didn't suit us but it's all experience I guess

Wit Tanker

Rafael was impressive but the rest were mainly disappointing, but all credit to Rovers, they were strongish in midfield.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
alittle off the pace passing wise, especially early on. He didn't exactly have a 'shocker' and was subbed on about 60 minutes for stewart to give us some width.

He did some decent passes but was on the edge of the game more then anything else. lost possession about 3/4 times

We played with only wellbeck up top with one/two of the midfielders breaking and it didn't suit us but it's all experience I guess
Why do we often play with one forward in the reserves?

Striker10

Why do we often play with one forward in the reserves?
I couldn't answer that, when i've seen them we've usually had two but I guess it's partly who your facing and partly to get used to another system from an early age?

I'm not entirely sure but wellbeck up top by himself at home? We went with two up top with about 10/15 minutes to go but the match was so well contested by then it didn't change the flow of the game.

PS18

I've no real problem with one upfront (although I'd like to see Welbeck and Macheda upfront together as the season wears on), the big problem at the moment is the lack of options out wide to support the lone striker. We had five central midfielders out there yesterday basically, so there's an obvious lack of width and a big onus on the fullbacks to get forward and offer some, which sometimes causes problems at the back.

Getting Fábio and Galbraith back from injury should help, Stewart seems to be getting chances, maybe Ajose and Curran might step up as the season progresses to offer something else.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I've no real problem with one upfront (although I'd like to see Welbeck and Macheda upfront together as the season wears on), the big problem at the moment is the lack of options out wide to support the lone striker. We had five central midfielders out there yesterday basically, so there's an obvious lack of width and a big onus on the fullbacks to get forward and offer some, which sometimes causes problems at the back.

Getting Fábio and Galbraith back from injury should help, Stewart seems to be getting chances, maybe Ajose and Curran might step up as the season progresses to offer something else.
Spot on!

The other option is to put David Gray out wide and bring in someone else toi partner Chester.....Eckersley maybe.

We definitely lack width on both sides of the pitch.

One of the problems last night!

That...and Darron Gibson had a shocker! At his stage of development and with a full international cap behind him......he should be running these types of games!

PS: Fowler was a joke!

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I couldn't answer that, when i've seen them we've usually had two but I guess it's partly who your facing and partly to get used to another system from an early age?

I'm not entirely sure but wellbeck up top by himself at home? We went with two up top with about 10/15 minutes to go but the match was so well contested by then it didn't change the flow of the game.
Ok. Thanks for that.