Reserves v Norwich

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
From the Norwich City website

"Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will bring a youthful Manchester United side to Carrow Road for Saturday's friendly (3pm).

United's first team squad are currently in Asia on tour, and in an exclusive interview for the Canary Preview magazine (which goes on sale on Saturday), the reserve team boss said:

'We will have a young team out there as the more experienced ones are likely to go on tour with the first team, but I expect them all to give a good account of themselves.'

Tickets for the game are still available, priced at £10 for adults, £5 for under 21s/over 60s and £3 for under 16s. Call 0844 826 1902 for more information.

Man Utd Squad: Tom Heaton (GK), David Gray, Danny Simpson, Ritchie De Laet, Oliver Gill, Corry Evans, Magnus Eikrem, Oliver Norwood, Febian Brandy, Tom Cleverley, Cameron Stewart, Ron Robert Zieler (GK), Reece Brown, Scott Moffatt, Sam Hewson, Nicholas Ajose, Joe Dudgeon."

Same squad as the one at Rochdale last night

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Is Scott Wootton injured (does anyone know) - he seems like the only notable absentee other than those injured or at the U-19 tournie.

datura

Man Utd Squad: Tom Heaton (GK), David Gray, Danny Simpson, Ritchie De Laet, Oliver Gill, Corry Evans, Magnus Eikrem, Oliver Norwood, Febian Brandy, Tom Cleverley, Cameron Stewart, Ron Robert Zieler (GK), Reece Brown, Scott Moffatt, Sam Hewson, Nicholas Ajose, Joe Dudgeon."[/I]

Same squad as the one at Rochdale last night
What about Josh King? He was involved against Rochdale and your report said that Brandy had to go off injured?

Cathcart is a notable absentee too.

Mr. MUJAC

I probably will.......

Cathcart maybe on standby for the first team.....

Wootton is a year younger than the other lads so is probably with the -18's. Plus with Evans, Cathcart, Brown, De Laet, Gill and Gray all in the squad, we don't really need to add another centre-half...

King may come into the reckoning if Brandy is injured...

PS18

I assume King (and Brady) will be on their way to NI for the Milk Cup? Not sure how early we head out there, but they'd probably not be involved on Saturday with the first Milk Cup game on Monday.

jb8521

I assume King (and Brady) will be on their way to NI for the Milk Cup? Not sure how early we head out there, but they'd probably not be involved on Saturday with the first Milk Cup game on Monday.
Im pretty sure theyre heading out on Sunday morning. Sean McGinty is travelling out so should be a first chance to see him playing for united.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I probably will.......

Cathcart maybe on standby for the first team.....

Wootton is a year younger than the other lads so is probably with the -18's. Plus with Evans, Cathcart, Brown, De Laet, Gill and Gray all in the squad, we don't really need to add another centre-half...

King may come into the reckoning if Brandy is injured...
Brown is younger than Wootton though and yet to sign a pro contract, but then I suppose he can play right-back as well, and I see your point about there being plenty of centre-backs.

PS18

Im pretty sure theyre heading out on Sunday morning. Sean McGinty is travelling out so should be a first chance to see him playing for united.
Exactly, very unlikely anyone would play on Saturday afternoon and then travel early on Sunday. That's assuming King and Brady are going of course (and you'd imagine they will be).

Regarding Brandy, it seems he might be alright for Saturday anyway:

"He got a little bit of a knock, he says he feels better now but he couldn't run it off. I don't think it will be a long one. He scored a good goal, which is important for strikers. He needs to keep on scoring and get his confidence up."

That's OGS ofc.

PS18

United: Heaton, Gray, De Laet, Chester, Cathcart, Evans, Eikrem, Hewson, Stewart, Cleverley, Simpson. Bench: Dudgeon, Zieler, Gill, Moffatt, Brown, Norwood, Ajose.

PS18

Although there's doesn't seem to be anyone even vaguely capable of playing as a striker there (bar Stewart maybe?). Wondering if there's a mistake with Simpson (unless he's at right-back and Gray playing upfront for the first time in years?).

PS18

I guess with Brandy presumably still injured, Macheda on tour, Welbeck with England and King/Cofie etc off to NI, there weren't really any other options (bar Ajose, who isn't really suited to being a lone striker).

prateik

3:55 Michael Bailey: I've heard that too, from a friend. WIll ask BG after the game.
3:54 [Comment From marty]
Is it true cleverly is signing on loan after game today?

??
any info on this .
cleverley did well for Leicester last season

PS18

All over, 1-1. Very good result against a team you'd imagine will be one of the frontrunners in League One this season.

PS18

Norwich's site's match report says Wootton came on for Gill late on, but the live blog thing said it was Ajose that came on (and Wootton wasn't even listed in the original squad). Confusing.

Otherwise, Gill and Norwood apparently came on for Chester and Hewson at half-time, with Dudgeon on for Stewart after 76 mins.

Mr. MUJAC

Norwich's site's match report says Wootton came on for Gill late on, but the live blog thing said it was Ajose that came on (and Wootton wasn't even listed in the original squad). Confusing.

Otherwise, Gill and Norwood apparently came on for Chester and Hewson at half-time, with Dudgeon on for Stewart after 76 mins.
My understanding is that Wootton came on for Gill who got a knock.

The unused subs were Zieler and apparently Moffatt and Ajose.

The MUTV cameras were there so hopefully we will get highlights later.

032Devil

MEN:

United reserves leave it Laet
Cliff Butler

JULY 27, 2009

UNITED Reserves put in a terrific second half fightback to force a deserved 1-1 draw against Norwich City's full senior side at Carrow Road.

The League One side enjoyed almost total control of the game before the break, but United's marked improvement after the restart had the Canaries defending in numbers.

Norwich took the lead, in the 21st minute, following a spell of pressure. United failed to clear their lines and the ball ran to Tom Adeyemi, who hit an unstoppable shot from the edge of the area. United were given the chance to draw level, in the 35th minute, after Canaries' skipper Gary Doherty fouled Cameron Stewart in the penalty area, but keeper Ben Alnwick did well to save Sam Hewson's spot-kick.

Stewart went within inches of finding the net and David Gray hit a stinging shot which struck the angle of post and bar.

However, United's fine second-half performance was rewarded five minutes from time when defender Ritchie De Laet joined the attack to slot home a well-worked equaliser.

UNITED: Heaton, Gray, De Laet, Chester (Gill 46 (Wootton 86), Cathcart, C Evans, Eikrem, Hewson (Norwood 46), Stewart (Dudgeon 76), Cleverley, Simpson Subs not used: Zieler, Moffatt, Ajose. Attendance: 13,381