Reserves v Oldham

Kelvin

Foster given Reserves return

Ben Foster will line up for United’s Reserves tonight against Oldham Athletic in the Manchester Senior Cup.

It is the 25-year-old’s first match back since twisting his ankle in a Reserves match against Blackburn in September.

United have high hopes for the England international and Sir Alex Ferguson will be pleased to see the former Stoke stopper back in action with a busy run of games coming up.

Fans can pay on the gate for the match. Entry costs £5 adults, £2 concessions and is free for Season Ticket Holders.

Alternatively, highlights of the match will be shown on MUTV on Wednesday 15 October from 19:30 BST.

United (probable line-up): Foster; Gray, Eckersley, Wootton, Gill; Derbyshire, Cleverley, Hewson, James, Stewart; Macheda.
Subs from: Bryan, Zieler, Eikrem, Norwood, Strickland.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6620426

prateik

so it isnt live on mutv ?
i finally got a net connection fast enough to watch that flash stream and the first game isnt on it

PS18

Um, yeah....

Welbeck's been playing for England in the qualifying tournament for the Euro U19 finals, three games over in Northern Ireland (although he got injured in the first and missed the rest). Amos, Drinkwater, Devlin and Corry Evans all involved as well. They joined up around the time of the Wigan game (hence their absence for that) and only returned home today after playing the final game yesterday (hence their absence today).

Manucho played in the game against Wigan 12 days ago and then joined up with Angola like all the other senior internationals did :confused:

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Hewson's strike makes the difference!

On another wet and windy night at Northwich, a very young United team collected three points against a more experienced and dogged Oldham Athletic team.

With numerous United players away on international duty, or recovering from knocks, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer once again elevated players from the Academy side to bolster the reserve squad. So in came Oliver Gill, Scott Wootton, Matty James and Cameron Stewart, while Oliver Norwood and Kenny Strickland were named as subs.

It was also a welcome return to action for Ben Foster after injuring his ankle against Blackburn Rovers just under a month ago.

Finally, lining up for Oldham Athletic at right back was Kieran Lee, an ex-Red who joined the Latics last season. Lee had been out with groin and hamstring injuries all season and this was his comeback match.

In the opening few minutes both teams were coming to terms with the slippery conditions and Oldham took an early lead when the ball came into the area and looked as though it took a deflection and bobbled past a surprised Foster. It could hardly have been a worse start for the reds but we soon got into our stride and put some passes together. Hewson, James and Cleverley looked good in central midfield while Derbyshire featured on the left and Stewart on the right. It was down the right hand side that United equalised on 13 minutes when a good passage of play led to Matthew James striking a beauty past the keeper from just on the edge of the box. Oldham had their moments but didn't really test Foster as Wootton and Gray in the centre of defence held firm.

Then on 28 minutes, Sam Hewson struck an absolute peach of goal from more than 35 yards that screamed past the keeper! It was a cracker and in typical fashion MUTV were not their to capture it. Let's hope we see some highlights because it has goal of the month/season written all over it!

United continued to keep possession throughout the first half without really testing the Oldham keeper.

Half-time: Manchester United 2 Oldham Athletic 1

The second half saw United make an immediate substitution with Eikrem coming on to replace Jimmy Derbyshire who had a quiet first half. The Reds took control and began to dominate midfield with James and Hewson excelling. It was good to see Sam Hewson back in good form and he had a great game. But it was Cameron Stewart who caught the eye as he beat his man on the outside on at least a dozen occasions. It was exciting wing play at it's best so it was a real shame that his final ball was often so disappointing. Even so, he did have one cracking shot on goal that the keeper did well to palm away.

However, without a doubt it was Richard Eckersley who was 'Man of the Match' as he bombed up and down the wing to not only ably perform his defensive duties but to support Stewart at every opportunity.

Then with ten minutes to go Oldham started knocking some high balls into the box and although Foster was in control there were a few tricky moments for the defence to deal with.

Overall, a really good team performance.

Final Score: Manchester United 2 Oldham Athletic 1

Team:

1. Foster
2. Eckersley
3. Gill
4. Gray (capt)
5. Wootton
6. James
7. Stewart
8. Cleverley
9. Macheda
10. Hewson
11. Derbyshire

12. Bryan
13. Zieler
14. Eikrem (11)
15. Norwood
16. Strickland

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Brilliant as always, MUJAC. Ecks deserves a go against QPR. Did Macheda have a good one?

M160RA

Thanks for the excellent match report, Mr. Mujac. Btw, you mean't Richard, not Adam Eckersley, right? Where is Adam anyways?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Then on 28 minutes, Sam Hewson struck an absolute peach of goal from more than 35 yards that screamed past the keeper! It was a cracker and in typical fashion MUTV were not their to capture it. Let's hope we see some highlights because it has goal of the month/season written all over it!
Highlights on MUTV at 2130h tonight.

Bring it on :D

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Have to say that every time I've seen Eckersley he has impressed me, in a way that Adam never did. I know that a never say die attitude like his can take a little talent a long way, but I like the kid and think he deserves the odd chance or two. Anyone agree?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Have to say that every time I've seen Eckersley he has impressed me, in a way that Adam never did. I know that a never say die attitude like his can take a little talent a long way, but I like the kid and think he deserves the odd chance or two. Anyone agree?
I do.

In fact, I started an "Eckersley > Simpson" thread, at some point last season (and got roundly slagged off, as a result). It's the hint of ginger lunacy that makes me think he might have what it takes.

twitter thread suggester
Exactly.
He stands out whenever I watch the reserves, whether it's on the side or in the central. He's got the same eye for anticipating a pass as Evans got, he's brutal and he's great forward.

I can however not remember him being really challenged in the air, so can't judge his aerial abilities, but he looks very promising - the best player for the reserves in pretty much every game.

PS18

I just think he lacks that little bit of class that would make him a potential United/Premier League player. It's hard to see him getting many chances with the twins around as well.

Name Changed

weso26
Just watched it earlier on MUTV. That was some strike by Hewson. I think the reserve team is struggling for a little quality though.

PS18

Just watched it earlier on MUTV. That was some strike by Hewson. I think the reserve team is struggling for a little quality though.
Bit of a harsh judgement based on a game in shitty conditions where we were missing the likes of Rafael, Fabio, Chester, Galbraith, Possebon, Gibson, Drinkwater, Welbeck and Amos.

PS18

Primarily because he was being pencilled in for today's first-team game I'd presume, although MSC/LSC games against lower league reserve opposition always give the reserve manager a chance to chop and change a bit and maybe give some of the academy lads (Wootton, Gill etc) a go.

I don't think we can expect to see Rafa every week for the reserves, he's made too much of an impact at first-team level.