Reserves v Stockport

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Monday at 2pm. Will it be shown on MUTV at some stage? Where can one find MUTV's schedule anyways?

PS18

Nothing scheduled on the Sky EPG - that's showing several re-runs of the academy highlights from this weekend, and with that being postponed I guess they might look to pencil the reserve highlights into that slot?

oskarutd

Trialists In Squad For Man Utd Game

link.

Posted on: Mon 09 Feb 2009
Stockport County include no fewer than seven trialists in the squad to face Manchester United this afternoon.

Irish-based Ian Bermingham, Dean Lawrence and Brian King are all in Alan Lord's starting eleven along with Shaun Foster and Mark Houghton from Skelmersdale United and ex-Wolves midfielder Mark Salmon.

The final trialist, Clive Moyo-Modise, ex-Rochdale, is on the bench.

County: Rigby; Foster, Lawrence, J Thompson, Bermingham; King, Tansey: J Vincent, Salmon, Pilkington; Houghton.

Subs: Halls, Astbury, Ennis, Edwards, Moyo-Modise

Manchester United (from): Ben Amos, Fabio Da Silva, Joe Dudgeon, Richard Eckersley Oliver Gill, Oliver Norwood, Lee Martin, Rodrigo Possebon, Macheda, Petrucci Robert Brady, Scott Wooton, Conor Devlin, Cameron Stewart, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Ravel Morrison, Nicholas Ajose, Josuha King.

Kick-off time, at United's Carrington Training Comples, is 2.00pm.

A full match report will appear here on Stockportcounty.com shortly after the final whistle.

LouisRocca

Kind of a young squad...
Great to see the likes of Ryan Tunnicliffe, Ra'vel Morrison, Nicholas Ajose and Josuha King getting a taste of Reservefootball. Good to see that Joshuas withdrawal from the Norway U17 squad was not because he had been injured again, but possibly because he's just returned from injury.

Should be an interesting game.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Ian Bermigham is a pretty good left back, plays for the Irish u21s, Brian King is decent but not great, and Dean Lawrence is a very good centre back who was on loan with Shels last season, but had no chances.

Just so youse know!

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Kind of a young squad...
Great to see the likes of Ryan Tunnicliffe, Ra'vel Morrison, Nicholas Ajose and Josuha King getting a taste of Reservefootball. Good to see that Joshuas withdrawal from the Norway U17 squad was not because he had been injured again, but possibly because he's just returned from injury.

Should be an interesting game.
Good point.

Tunnicliffe and Morrison are well ahead of schedule, having just turned 16. Good times.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Reserves: United 0 Stockport 0

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side paid the price for missed chances at Carrington on Monday afternoon, eventually losing 8-7 to Stockport on penalties.

Remarkably 15 spot-kicks in a row were scored before Reds defender Joe Dudgeon unfortunately had his penalty saved by County goalkeeper Lloyd Rigby.

The same Stockport shot-stopper had thwarted two gilt-edged chances when United were bossing the second half. In the 53rd minute, he blocked Lee Martin's effort after the winger was put through by a great ball from Richard Eckersley. Fourteen minutes later, Rigby showed great agility to push Federico Macheda's close-range shot over the bar.

Macheda had the best chance of a more evenly-balanced first half but the Italian striker headed wide from Fabio's right-wing cross. Fabio unfotunately played no part in the penalty shoot-out - a minor injury forced his substitution in the 90th minute.

For the record, United's seven penalty scorers were Martin, Davide Petrucci, Macheda, Rodrigo Possebon, Oliver Norwood, Nicky Ajose (on as sub for Fabio) and Eckersley.

The Reds earned one point for drawing 0-0 over 90 minutes but Stockport take three for winning on penalties. United now really need to beat Manchester City in the fifth and final group game to progress, given Oldham and Bolton are both one point ahead.

United: Ben Amos, Fabio (Nicky Ajose, 90), Richard Eckersley, Oliver Gill, Joe Dudgeon; Oliver Norwood, Rodrigo Possebon, Davide Petrucci, Lee Martin; Federico Macheda, Robert Brady (Cameron Stewart, 71). Subs not used: Scott Wooton, Conor Devlin, Josuha King.

www.manutd.com

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
United lost their second MSC penalty shoot-out succession as they went down 7-8 on penalties at Carrington this afternoon.

With so many players away on international duty, it was a very young side that lined up on the first team training pitch. With recent games being called off due to the weather and this particular fixture having fallen foul of the elements already, the undersoil heating ensured the game ahead.

United lined-up as follows:

1. Amos
2. F. Da Silva
3. Dudgeon
4. Eckersley
5. Gill
6. Norwood
7. Martin - capt
8. Possebon
9. Macheda
10. Petruuci
11. Brady

12. Wootton
13. Devlin
14. Stewart (11) - 62 mins
15. Ajose (3) - 92 mins

In a relatively uneventful first half, United had the best of the chances with a header from Macheda coming the closest to breaking the deadlock. However, the Stockport defence held resilient.

Half-time 0-0

It was a similar story in the second half as the Stockport keeper made two or three outstanding saves to ensure Stockport stayed level. To be fair United had enough chances to win the game with Macheda being particularly wasteful.

Full-time 0-0

With no extra time applicable in MSC ties, the game went straight to penalties with Stockport winning the toss and deciding to take the first kick.

Stockport scored with each of their efforts, not really giving Ben Amos any chance. And United responded in equally confident fashion until Joe Dudgeon stepped up to take United's 8th spot-kick. Unfortunately he fired his left foot shot straight at the keeper and United had lost the tie 7-8 on penalties.

United's other penalty scorers were as follows in sequential order:

Martin, Petrucci, Macheda, Possebon, Norwood, Ajose, Eckersley

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The keyword here better be minor!
It looked like cramp. It was dead on fulltime and with penalties looming, Ole needed 11 fit players.

So Ajose came on while Da Silva was getting treatment. Then Da Silva stood up and asked to come back on not realising he had already been subbed!

So the injury couldn't have been too bad!

LizardKing

First Team Regular
I'm the crawling king snake and I rule my den.
I'm hoping he will, to be honest I really don't see why Gibson gets the nod ahead of him. I guess he's a bit more experienced in English football, ideally I'd start both of them but it might be a bit too inexperienced in the middle and I don't want to see Gibson out on the wing again as he isn't very effective out there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sticking promising young central midfielders out on the wing is a peculiarity of SAF that I can't get my head round.

Poor auld Fletch ended up being crucified by the fans after regularly being shunted out wide, I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Gibson.

I would like to see either Gibson or Possebon get the nod against Derby. I think Gibson has been the slightly more impressive performer of the two this season but Possebon has had that whole horror tackle thing to get over, which can't have done his confidence any good.

I'm inclined to think Possebon might just have more potential than Gibson but I'd like to see him really bossing things for the reserves before he gets his chance. Which is why I'm really interested to hear how he got on yesterday.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
According to thefa.com he's strangely enough not been called up this time around.

PS18

Don't think James has been in the international picture all season - I guess he's sort of stuck between u17 and u19 level at the minute. Was wondering if he'd maybe been called up as a late replacement for the u19s but like you say, there's nothing on thefa.com about it.