Reserves vs Bolton

Epic

Ritchie & David Jones are too good for this level, can't wait to see them in action against Crewe

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This ref is a catastrophe

Did our lot gang rape him before the game or something?

twitter thread suggester
Fantastic goal! Great play by Smithy!

Hell, great play by all involved (Great cross from Mullin, and clinical finish by Marsh)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yep. Classy goal

Two for Marsh now, despite him looking utterly useless all night

2-1 now btw. Bolton scored at some point while I wasn't paying attention

twitter thread suggester
Braaaaaaaaaaandy!

What a great 'first reserve team-goal'

Tribec

It's only bloody October, I don't want to put the heating on at my place till November at the earliest, but hell I'm going to have too, just to thaw out. Still it's worth it as a slightly better Yonner's reserve team than last year, at least they finished with 11 players this time (stupid Campo head butt last year).

This is how the reserve season is going to plod along, the conditions didn't help, but the cream is rising in the this team. Cathcart is a certainty from now on, as is Keiran Lee. Of course the Jones twins in midfield will always get the nod, unless of injury. Mullen and Barnes should be able to hold down the wide berths as long as they get the service, though neither are a match on Martin and Neumayer. Marsh did ok tonight, but he's a bit slow of thought. All due respect to him, his footballing brain isn't as sharp as say Rossi and it is showing. Brandy just lacks height or he'd start ahead of Marsh IMO.

That's all for now, a hot vimto and hot water bottle needs preparing to help bring my body up to normal temperature.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Marsh didn't look confident at all to me. He didn't really try anything all night, just kept turning away from the goal and looking for somewhere to get rid of the ball.
His touch was poor too, though the conditions may have played their part.
Plus, he scored a hatrick, which was just weird.

Smith's still nothing like his old self. He's heading in the right direction though

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Sean Evans will replace Barnes when he's back from injury. Both are promising, but Evans is older.

I think Marsh could have a decent career as an attacking midfielder. Not at United.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Ritchie Jones seems to be getting better, where as David Jones has become worse

Unless I've gotten the two mixed up

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
No, that seems about right. David Jones doesn't seem to be progressing, unfortunately. Ritchie Jones is interesting - he could be a very good player, or he could be Carlton Palmer in disguise, it's hard to tell. He's a big lad, and he has most of the attributes you need to be a top midfield player... but maybe he's just not quite good enough at all of them. If he keeps improving, he has a chance.

Tom Jones is still going strong, though.

oskarutd

noodlehair said:
Ritchie Jones seems to be getting better, where as David Jones has become worse

Unless I've gotten the two mixed up
In my opinion Richie needs to get on loan fast. He is stagnating. His passes in the last games have been poor and to many gone astray. David is great, but far too good for this level and needs better platform.
When Bolton overran us, David startet to pull a few passes and runs together and the game changed. That is what he has been needing to add to his game. Maybe he is now. He ran the show in the latter part. Did you see his pass to Rose?

M160RA

oskarutd said:
In my opinion Richie needs to get on loan fast. He is stagnating. His passes in the last games have been poor and to many gone astray. David is great, but far too good for this level and needs better platform.
When Bolton overran us, David startet to pull a few passes and runs together and the game changed. That is what he has been needing to add to his game. Maybe he is now. He ran the show in the latter part. Did you see his pass to Rose?
I agree about the reserves level not being suited to either player. Tbh, I can't see Richie Jones making it here at United. He seems to be a tidy player but just lacks the quality one would need to succeed here - I reckon he'll be out on loan in January.

Regarding David Jones, I really think its about time he got some Premiership experience. It looks unlikely that he'll be getting some with us anytime soon, so hopefully we can send him on loan to another Premiership club next season. He did well at NEC and the loan move must have helped develop the technical aspect of his game. But I reckon he still needs to prove himself in the Premiership before he'll really catch Fergie's eye. If not, then he's going to go down the Liam Miller route.

Darren

watched the game on goal tv1 last night, fantastic!!!

how good does brandy look!!! he's dynamite, give him 2-3 years and he will make 1sts

Smith looks very sluggish, I know he is injured but needs at least another 2 months, touch was great though

Mullan potentially could be great, he's so quick, gets up and back the wing, has a shot and knocks nice crosses, potential

Jones didnt dominate a youth team midfield, that sums it up, we were on the backfoot in 2nd half

Cathcart looks solid, seems to be progressing well

didnt think alot of barnes, jones, lea, shawcross, marsh (did score but generally poor)

remember the cream of the youth are on loan, campbell, rossi, evans, pique, martin, bardsley, simpson so all in all looking great fpr club in next 2-3 years

westlife4ever

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=369028&page=1

who are our unused subs?

Tribec

Darren said:
how good does brandy look!!! he's dynamite, give him 2-3 years and he will make 1sts

Cathcart looks solid, seems to be progressing well

didnt think alot of barnes, jones, lea, shawcross, marsh (did score but generally poor)
Brandy could go all the way, but he's got to get past Campbell and Rossi first. The only problem I can forsee for Brandy is his size, he's just so small. I think if he does make the first team, he won't be played through the middle, possibly on the wing.

Cathcart is more than solid, he's a sure addition to the next generation of defensive corps. Right now, I'd be happy to say we don't need to spend on the Defense for the next 10 years or so, with all the young talent we've got playing and coming through right now.

As for Barnes, he was starved of the ball, but he is a talent, he's not afraid to go inside or out, and can cross a ball well on the move. I don't think it's a natural talent he's got (obviously he has some to even be taken on by United), but he seems the type of player to work hard and learn. With the likes of Ronaldo and Martin ahead of him, it's possible that he may not make it at United, but he will make a living out of football.

Marsh has only recently gone back to playing up front after a spell at the back covering. If anything he's probably improved by adding that second string to his bow. Like Barnes I don't think it's all that natural to him and with the with a similar situation to Brandy, Marsh will probably end up leaving the club.

Ritchie Jones, hmm. I don't know, I really don't know what to make of him. A less effective Darren Fletcher, and that's the best I can say.

Shawcross and Lea, I can't really defend them that much, but I can't build them up either.

julesee

Tribec personally think you're being a bit harsh on david jones and michael barnes. I've seen Jones have at least a couple of good games this season so far - he looked very very handy in those, tho perhaps you may be right that he should be dominating the majority of them if he's going to make it. Michael Barnes looks like a very good player to me... good dribbling skills, he's a good crosser of the ball - I'm impressed. He's more skillful in my view than Lee Martin, who's control and crossing are a bit poor sometimes. Lee Martin has the killer pace though of course. DOnt get me wrong - I'm a big Lee Martin fan.