Revisionism: Which players have had their legacies embellished or reduced since retirement?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The Keane-Scholes debate is a product of Scholes’s post-2006 career. Before then there was little or no debate. Our play went through Keane for the most part, Scholes was not considered a controlling midfield-maestro, and his best season came playing as a supporting forward behind RVN. His attacking instincts contributed to the tactical problems we had in Europe after 1999.

After his return in 2006 he settled into that deeper role, but he wasn’t a first choice after 2008.
Pretty much correct. Forgot Scholes had that eye injury that keeped him out for pretty much a year.

In a way Scholes and Xavi are similar in that they only became truly revered coming up to 30. I can't remember in 2006 anyone saying Xavi was one of greatest midfielders to play the game even when Barca were winning the CL (that was the Ronaldinho show).

Only after Spain euro 2008 win and him having a magnificent tournament did the narrative grow.

RooneyLegend

Pretty much correct. Forgot Scholes had that eye injury that keeped him out for pretty much a year.

In a way Scholes and Xavi are similar in that they only became truly revered coming up to 30. I can't remember in 2006 anyone saying Xavi was one of greatest midfielders to play the game even when Barca were winning the CL (that was the Ronaldinho show).

Only after Spain euro 2008 win and him having a magnificent tournament did the narrative grow.
A bit of truth to this but Scholes was always really highly rated, Xavi was nowhere near what he became.

manutddjw

It wasn’t through retirement but through injury but Saha gets so overrated because he didn’t play enough to prove otherwise. Don’t get me wrong he was a good player, but I don’t think he would’ve been a world class player had he stayed fit.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
A bit of truth to this but Scholes was always really highly rated, Xavi was nowhere near what he became.
Tbf Scholes was originally a striker or number 10. But we had Cantona in that role, so he ended up playing as a CM. Or maybe it was SAF who just realised he’d be better as an attacking CM. But yeah until he got older, Scholes was instinctively an attacking player.