Gaming Revisiting Old Games

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
For me, GTA IV.

Was reading an article earlier today and have been playing alot of Red Dead 2. It seems to me that Red Dead 2 shares alot of similarities so far as each story is littered with a fractured past and involves characters who question their existance and purpose and its something that is not necessarily resolved by games end. If anything, in both circumstances their life choices catch up with them and you're left with more questions than answers. GTA IV I feel was an underrated story and a game that was not GTA like and therefore probably down the list of great games in the series, but potential forged a different path for Rockstar that it can open up with other titles. In the alternative, GTA V has not aged well story wise and in comparison could be deemed hot trash as there really is no connection to any of the protagnoists.

Very few games ever really give you that impression as most attempt to come to a conclusion on positive notes. Ghosts of Tsushima is one such example where I believe they failed in conclusion of the story.

Any other old games people feel may have been underrated at the time but have benefitted from time passing or have not aged well?

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Can't say about the value of the games I play for people who don't have the nostalgia glasses, but I love going through almost all of the final fantasy games a few times a year and a few other rpgs like legend of dragoon, breath of fire 3, shadow hearts 1&2 and the .hack series with a few years inbetween.
While I don't perticularly like revisiting soulsborne bosses i can never seem to get enough of Nioh 1, so I keep going back to that often and restarting it.
In recent years Hollow Knight has also been something i tend to speed through a couple of times here and there when i feel like having that wonderful gameplay around. The only thing I don't bother with when redoing hollow knight is the pantheon.

Pokemon games also often goes on repeat, although only the stuff on the advance emulator is worked on with nostalgic glasses, the ones on the ds emulator I've not got much feelings for as i never played them on or near release.

The game I really want to go back to that I don't feel like I should yet is Bloodborne. I really want a 60fps patch on the ps5 to drop before going for the platinum (have the queen left to do).

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I thought MGS3 was one of my all time favourite games but I went back and played it last year. Felt bad to play.

Something that has become as basic as a crouch walk not being available felt weird. I kept wondering how I got through the game when I was young because I was constantly alerting the guards with the finicky camouflage mechanic this time around.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
To me they're just called games.

Do we say Old Books?

Old Movies?

Do we call Dostoyevsky an 'Old Author' despite him croaking it in 1881.

Maybe once you all appreciate the nuance of this craft like I do you'll be on my level.

And then you follow my blog for latest updates.

Bojan11

Lovely game but disappointed with the use of haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. Astro was brilliant, this feels a let down in comparison.
You didn't need to share any of this with me.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I thought MGS3 was one of my all time favourite games but I went back and played it last year. Felt bad to play.

Something that has become as basic as a crouch walk not being available felt weird. I kept wondering how I got through the game when I was young because I was constantly alerting the guards with the finicky camouflage mechanic this time around.
been thinking of playing through the MGS games again, such a big undertaking though and @Bojan11 will shout at me if I do those before Death Stranding.