Revisiting that moment between Leeds and Aston Villa

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I caught this on my YouTube suggested videos, and wanted to see what others thought. This was at a vital point towards the end of the season I think 2 seasons ago now.

The initial Villa player who went down didn't look like he was fouled, the referee never whistled and yet yet all Villa players just stopped assuming Leeds would kick it out? The commentators felt it was unsporting of Leeds to continue but I'm curious to hear your views in retrospect.

At first I thought the Leeds defender was going to kick the ball out but it looks like he was trying to play Klich through :lol: Should Leeds have granted a goal back in the end?

Baneofthegame

Feel the issue arose from whoever it was playing in Klich? Feigned putting it out and played him through.

Think Villa were lucky to only have one player sent off.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
From a villa pov (if i remember all of this correctly).

We played the ball out for a player down a few mins prior which was the first issue - I think it was Hourihane that had played it out, then it was Klich "feigning" putting the ball out/stopping then playing the guy through.

Phantom red card for El Ghazi because he didn't even touch Bamford. Bamford did iirc get a 3 match ban for deceiving the ref.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
This is why footbal games have a guy with a whistle - this is just horrendous refereeing, even school kids are told to play to the whistle.

In school if any of us assumed the teacher would call a foul etc and just stopped we'd have a right bollocking, rightly so.

Villa were stupid to not play to the whistle and it was disgraceful the way some of their players handled themselves, not sure who grabbed hold of the goal scorer but I hope he had a ban?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Leeds were fine, play to the whistle. The whole mess is on the ref though.

Bobade

Absolutely moronic display from Villa there, and their players behaved atrociously. Why would the ball be kicked out there? If the ball was kicked out every time someone goes down in the Premier league, it would happen every minute.

Play to the whistle, so naive.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Feel the issue arose from whoever it was playing in Klich? Feigned putting it out and played him through.

Think Villa were lucky to only have one player sent off.
We actually got that red overturned given what a complete coward Bamford was. :lol: Hourihane probably should've got a red given the force he went into the melee with.

Roberts slowing the play down which is what players do when they actually play it out is what caused the issues. Good for Bielsa to do what he did but the game actually didn't really matter....Leeds had to win about 20-0 to have even a chance of 2nd and we were already in top 6.

Now Leeds despise us and Grealish even though 3-4 in their team go down at the slightest hint of contact most games, Ayling did one of the dives of the season in the box a few games back.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
From a villa pov (if i remember all of this correctly).

We played the ball out for a player down a few mins prior which was the first issue - I think it was Hourihane that had played it out, then it was Klich "feigning" putting the ball out/stopping then playing the guy through.

Phantom red card for El Ghazi because he didn't even touch Bamford. Bamford did iirc get a 3 match ban for deceiving the ref.
Klich scored. It was the left back with the snide fake and play on.

Your man wasn't hurt Though was he? Not a fan of stoppages for those ones.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We actually got that red overturned given what a complete coward Bamford was. :lol: Hourihane probably should've got a red given the force he went into the melee with.

Roberts slowing the play down which is what players do when they actually play it out is what caused the issues. Good for Bielsa to do what he did but the game actually didn't really matter....Leeds had to win about 20-0 to have even a chance of 2nd and we were already in top 6.

Now Leeds despise us and Grealish even though 3-4 in their team go down at the slightest hint of contact most games, Ayling did one of the dives of the season in the box a few games back.
Yeah Hourihane is a horrible scroat in that clip. Smashes into Kilch and then won't let go. Horrible work.

Not sure why Terry is so angry at the Leeds manager after he's given the goal back. A part fromit being Terry of course.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
Klich scored. It was the left back with the snide fake and play on.

Your man wasn't hurt Though was he? Not a fan of stoppages for those ones.
Ah yes it was him that scored. And obviously, I don't know exactly 100% if our man was hurt or not — I think we substituted him right after but I don't think he was hurt though. Who knows.

And as @FootballHQ said above, not quite sure how Hourihane didn't get red carded or a ban after the fact.