Rhys Bennett | on loan to Stockport

NoPace

How's he rated? His passing and touch looked really good. Not strong enough yet, but was quite impressed with his usage of the ball and he looked fairly clever and was visibly organizing.

Mickson

How's he rated? His passing and touch looked really good. Not strong enough yet, but was quite impressed with his usage of the ball and he looked fairly clever and was visibly organizing.
He¨s not that good on the ball. He's a strong lad, big heart, leadership, but I don't think he's anything special at all. Pretty certain he wont make it.

khoazany

I always like him. He’s composed, has leadership and can defend. Just not exceptional in any aspect but thing is many of our previously rated academy defenders are actually not that good at defending.

Sid234

Heard that he's in the squad for the Burnley game- on the bench? Not 100% sure on this though

lysglimt

Scout
I always like him. He’s composed, has leadership and can defend. Just not exceptional in any aspect but thing is many of our previously rated academy defenders are actually not that good at defending.
And where are they today ? :)

suneelmattu

Supports
Football
This is a very nice and decent post you rocked posting it .... Thanks for posting it .....!!!!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The lad's massive, seems like he's grown a bit during the off-season.

Ace of Spades

I can only talk about the friendly games that he played in the 1st team, and he looked fine and comfortable, no worse than Lindelof in those games.

Looks like he has grown, and should hopefully find a good loan.

Let us see how he develops, he seems to have avoided any major injuries, which is a big plus for his development.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
On the bench today.

What are the odds on him making a start in the next 2 weeks?

top1whoisman

Scout
Going to Stockport on loan. Getting games in League Two would be very good for his development. Think he’ll be fine there in terms of physicality.

vanderpants

He won't have far to travel as the Stockport training ground is literally yards away from Carrington!

khoazany

Not a good game for Stockport as they lost 4-0 (weird scoreline considering Stockport was 1st in the league and still is but League Two's table is very tight). At least Rhys wasn't subbed off so he probably isn't one of the main reasons.

Another one who has many niggling injuries throughout his career so far, and already had it with Stockport, that's why the debut came so late.

Mickson

Not a good game for Stockport as they lost 4-0 (weird scoreline considering Stockport was 1st in the league and still is but League Two's table is very tight). At least Rhys wasn't subbed off so he probably isn't one of the main reasons.

Another one who has many niggling injuries throughout his career so far, and already had it with Stockport, that's why the debut came so late.
He lost his marker for two of the goals, and one was a corner so people will notice that naturally.

top1whoisman

Scout
Played only one game at Stockport but I’m sure it was a nice experience to be a part of the promotion and the celebrations.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Only played one game? Need to start sending players to clubs they're actually going to make appearances at, even if it means them dropping down a few levels.

Bertie Wooster

Only played one game? Need to start sending players to clubs they're actually going to make appearances at, even if it means them dropping down a few levels.
I agree in general about some of our loan choices. But Stockport were down at level four. And some of our other loanees even struggle to get game time in the NL (level five). Any lower than that and the leagues are semi-professional.

I don't really think we should be loaning out any of our players to lower than levels 4 and 5 once they're 18+. So I don't think we're placing these players at too high a level. But if they can't get games even at levels 4 and 5 then it's a good sign that the problem is more with the limited ability of the player and that they're just not going to make it here.

Last edited:

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Sometimes its a maturity thing. They club wants them to get adult experience without the pressure to help grow some emotional intelligence skills.

They did that with Will Fish a while back too and he has pushed on quite a lot at Hibs.

Every player has their own pathway so I guess the club know what they are doing with loans in the majority of cases.

Loans are a lottery at the best of times. I've heard some horror stories so it's much harder getting it right than people think.

Mickson

Sometimes its a maturity thing. They club wants them to get adult experience without the pressure to help grow some emotional intelligence skills.

They did that with Will Fish a while back too and he has pushed on quite a lot at Hibs.

Every player has their own pathway so I guess the club know what they are doing with loans in the majority of cases.

Loans are a lottery at the best of times. I've heard some horror stories so it's much harder getting it right than people think.
Cmon, they're not sending him on loan to play just one game. I don't say that Bennett hasn't gained something from it, but you surely know this wasn't the plan. It's actually very obvious that they in fact do not know what they're doing. Very few loans have been succesful this season, and it has been a trend for some time now, unfortunately.

KevinJoh

They probably wanted to get more playing time for him, but sometimes it doesn't work for different reasons and it is not the end of the world. As MrMujac said, Will Fish was good example. He has 2 games at Salford, and looked like he is finished, but than moved to Hibernian and made a mark there becoming starter and regular in the last season and a half.

Not sure what happened with Bennet, maybe it was a problem with adaptation, but maybe it was injury as well as until recently he did not play for U21 as well (he had big injury year before, sidelined for 6 months, so who knows). We will see what is the plan next year, but he is almost 21 and should be able to get regular minutes in some minor club next year.

Mickson

They probably wanted to get more playing time for him, but sometimes it doesn't work for different reasons and it is not the end of the world. As MrMujac said, Will Fish was good example. He has 2 games at Salford, and looked like he is finished, but than moved to Hibernian and made a mark there becoming starter and regular in the last season and a half.

Not sure what happened with Bennet, maybe it was a problem with adaptation, but maybe it was injury as well as until recently he did not play for U21 as well (he had big injury year before, sidelined for 6 months, so who knows). We will see what is the plan next year, but he is almost 21 and should be able to get regular minutes in some minor club next year.
I doesen't matter if it worked out well for Fish in the end, it doesn't mean that the Salford loan was right. Maybe (and probably) it would have worked out even better if he was on loan at Tranmere and played 35 games.

KevinJoh

I doesen't matter if it worked out well for Fish in the end, it doesn't mean that the Salford loan was right. Maybe (and probably) it would have worked out even better if he was on loan at Tranmere and played 35 games.
sure, but there is no guarantees you will get the loan right. More often than not, loans will fail.