Ribery and Robben

Dolf

Robbery still better at 34 and 35 than some players will ever be in their peak :lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Robbery still better at 34 and 35 than some players will ever be in their peak :lol:
Robben is hands down the best winger of his generation, IMO. The guy's an absolute monster.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
At Bayern he's been amazing.

Was good early on at Chelsea but then injury and surprise surprise Mourinho went cold on him.

Can't remember how well or not he did at Madrid but they were quick to move him and Snejider on after two years to fund Ronaldo move.

Javi

Can't remember how well or not he did at Madrid but they were quick to move him and Snejider on after two years to fund Ronaldo move.
He was good when he played. But he was hardly fit, so they figured why pay the guy a hefty salary if he's only fit 1/3 of the games. The story is that Müller-Wohlfahrt fixed him so that he could play more, but he was injured a lot with Bayern too, especially in his later years.

Bojan11

At Bayern he's been amazing.

Was good early on at Chelsea but then injury and surprise surprise Mourinho went cold on him.

Eh Mourinho didn’t go cold on him. He started in every important game when he was fit.

He was sold because he was refusing to sign a new contract. I’m sure @duffer could verify.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's worrying to see Bayern still have to trust Ribery and Robben to play many minutes for them at their ages, they really should have replaced them by now. Coman, D.Costa, Shaqiri, Gnabry have come (and some have gone) but none of them look good enough to replace the two legends. They rested on their laurels and let players like De Bruyne and Sane, two players who could've potentially filled the gap at each winger position, slip through their grasps because they didn't want to pay high transfer fee. Salah is another player who could've come into Robben's position and succeeded. Right now, amongst viable options, Bale and Martial seem the best two options available for Bayern. Both of them though will cost much more than what they could've gotten De Bruyne and Sane for.

You look back and it's incredible that Bayern managed to pull off the signings of Ribery and Robben at a time when the club was at it's absolute lowest in a long time. They signed Ribery eventhough they didn't qualify for the UCL and Robben the season after Barcelona trounced them 4-0; it was a time when Bayern were far away from the elite of the game. Both players were vital in dragging them from that horrible time into the peak of European football, but the management look their dominance for granted and didn't think about the time when bought would have to retire.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is there even a single player who wouldn't have?
Robben's case is quite different though. How many top players have had an injury record like Robben's? (in his generation)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's amazing how so many muscle Injuries never affected Robben's game.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Robben is hands down the best winger of his generation, IMO. The guy's an absolute monster.
When he was in his form, he was second only to Messi. His WC 2014 and the final games of Bayern's CL win were outstanding. Unfortunately, his injuries really prevented him from showing it too often. I'd say in the end he was the second most talented player of his generation, he also had the mentality (though not Cristiano Ronaldo levels of determination) but since he was out that much he never really managed to position himself in the Ronaldo/Messi tier. I'd say he is roughly on the Xavi/Iniesta (and maybe Modric as well) level as a direct runner up to the two top dogs, ahead of guys like Ibrahimovic, Ribery, Kroos etc.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When he was in his form, he was second only to Messi. His WC 2014 and the final games of Bayern's CL win were outstanding. Unfortunately, his injuries really prevented him from showing it too often. I'd say in the end he was the second most talented player of his generation, he also had the mentality (though not Cristiano Ronaldo levels of determination) but since he was out that much he never really managed to position himself in the Ronaldo/Messi tier. I'd say he is roughly on the Xavi/Iniesta (and maybe Modric as well) level as a direct runner up to the two top dogs, ahead of guys like Ibrahimovic, Ribery, Kroos etc.
I guess not, but Robben always seemed like a top professional to me. How he always bounced back from injuries is quite admirable, and he even looked faster after he passed the age of 30. :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I guess not, but Robben always seemed like a top professional to me. How he always bounced back from injuries is quite admirable, and he even looked faster after he passed the age of 30. :lol:
Yep, extremely professional, at times on the border of being obsessed. Was allegedly one of the initiators when the Bayern team complained that Ancelotti's training wasn't hard enough at the age of 34 :lol: Love the guy although he plays for Munich.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
You guys really know how to overreact to friendlies. Robben and Ribery are so obviously done on the highest level, it’s not even funny anymore. Wait until the last months of the season and they‘ll look like Grampa Simpson chasing that turtle again.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You guys really know how to overreact to friendlies. Robben and Ribery are so obviously done on the highest level, it’s not even funny anymore. Wait until the last months of the season and they‘ll look like Grampa Simpson chasing that turtle again.
Think noone is denying that they are done or implying the opposite. We are simply talking about how good they used to be and that they still are for 34/35 year olds. That they shouldn't be important starters for a top club is obvious, at least for me.

Enigma_87

You know who
Think noone is denying that they are done or implying the opposite. We are simply talking about how good they used to be and that they still are for 34/35 year olds. That they shouldn't be important starters for a top club is obvious, at least for me.
To be honest Robben is still better option for us at the right wing than anything else we got...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
old man Robben is the embodiment of our fading glory as a footballing country. He’s the last remnant of it.

My favorite player ever and the greatest Dutch player after Cruyff en Van Basten for me. (Cue old people telling me how Johnny Rep, Kick Smit en Abe Lenstra were better)

Last edited:

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
old man Robben is te elbodiment of our fading glory as a footballing country. He’s the last remnant of it.

My favorite player ever and the greatest Dutch player after Cruyff en Van Basten for me. (Cue old people telling me how Johnny Rep, Kick Smit en Abe Lenstra were better)
Dont worry. Youll bounce back. Dutch always produce ridiculous amount of talent. I bet in thenext ten years youll have another generation that clicks and cause terror in the euros and WC

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
old man Robben is the embodiment of our fading glory as a footballing country. He’s the last remnant of it.

Not sure if you'll reach the same heights but there's plenty of good Dutch talent in the youth systems around Europe, our best youth player is Dutch for example.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dunno man, Robben was terrifying against us in '17 and you don't understand how relieved every madridista was to see him out of the clash this year. Ribery was scary enough still, though of the two it was always Robben who truly terrified me as an opponent

Champagne Football

Robben was 10 million times better than Ribery and Ribery was still amazing. Robben was Messi/Ronaldo when fit which was rare.

Van Gaal's stint at Bayern and second Dutch stint would have been catastrophic without Robben

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Robben was never on Ronaldo/Messi level when fit ffs. Otherwise he would be seen as same level as Ronaldo9, cause he was on Ronaldo/Messi level when fit. You never hear Robben being talked about in the same breath as Ronaldo9.

Still a great player though, but I wouldn‘t put him on a pedestal above other great players of this era. I think Suarez in his prime was the 3rd best attacker of this era

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think he was the 'best' player when he was fit, but I enjoyed watching him more than any player in the world. So good on the ball and the inevitability of his cut inside and curl it in with his left is beautiful to watch. I'm a sucker for a wide player who terrifies fullbacks (Used to love Lennon even though he was mostly unproductive) and Robben did that whilst also putting up some fantastic stats. I remember people going 'as long as you stop him cutting inside he's no threat' as if it would be an easy task, but nobody seemed to really be able stop him from doing it.

Him and Ribery on the wings was terrifying. Again, under Redknapp we had a much lesser version in Bale/Lennon but it was so good to watch, possessing two quick wide players who want to get at the opposition fullback was so exciting.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Him and Van Persie in the 5-1 win against Spain :drool:

Sadly, for the rest of that tournie Van Gaal seemed to revert to defensive football. In the groups though you were so exciting, the 3-2 against Australia was great fun too.

Jib

Robben was 10 million times better than Ribery and Ribery was still amazing. Robben was Messi/Ronaldo when fit which was rare.
I don't think so. Robben has been better than Ribery in some seasons but Ribery has also been better than him in others like 2012-2013. He deserved the ballon d'or 2013 for example.

And Ribery had a bigger impact than Robben on Bayern. Ask the true Bayern fans or Uli Hoeness..

Robben is really overrated here and Ribery hugely underrated because Robben was far better than Ribery for his NT ( except in 2006 ).

Kaiser Franck is one of the best winger of all time and definetly as good as Robben if not better ;)

Last edited:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
And Ribery had a bigger impact than Robben on Bayern. Ask the true Bayern fans or Uli Hoeness..
Yep. robben always played more like an attacker, meaning: he could score goals any given match, and even turn a game in that way. In the same situation, Ribery on the pitch wouldn't necessarily score on his own, but would up the chances that someone would.
Robben uses other players to look good (and only the fact that he scored so much let him get away with that), Ribery makes the players around him look good.
One thing i gotta say about Robben, while at Bayern he was always lightning fast when coming back from even a long injury period. Was back at 100% almost immediately, always. Never seen anothe player do that.
Riberys speed and more than anything else his ball control makes him the outstanding player of Bayern for the last decade.

Last edited:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Dunno man, Robben was terrifying against us in '17 and you don't understand how relieved every madridista was to see him out of the clash this year. Ribery was scary enough still, though of the two it was always Robben who truly terrified me as an opponent
And yet Kimmich was our biggest goal threat. They‘re done. They don’t impact the outcome of important games anymore.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Eh Mourinho didn’t go cold on him. He started in every important game when he was fit.

He was sold because he was refusing to sign a new contract. I’m sure @duffer could verify.
Could've been that but there were certainly stories of Mourinho feeling he was expendable because of all the injuries he was getting.

Not sure of his fitness at the time but he didn't start the second leg v Liverpool in CL semi final in 2007 so just two months before he left.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6603039.stm

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Is Robben the best right winger in last ten years or so?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Interesting. I won't talk about Johny Rep but I'm surprised to see that you rate him higher than Gullit for example. Fantastic player though, no argument here.