Right to repair

Skills

Snitch
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51825089

New rules could spell the death of a "throwaway" culture in which products are bought, used briefly, then binned.

The regulations will apply to a range of everyday items such as mobile phones, textiles, electronics, batteries, construction and packaging.

They will ensure products are designed and manufactured so they last - and so they're repairable if they go wrong.

It should mean that your phone lasts longer and proves easier to fix.

That may be especially true if the display or the battery needs changing.

It's part of a worldwide movement called the Right to Repair, which has spawned citizens' repair workshops in several UK cities.

The plan is being presented by the European Commission. It's likely to create standards for the UK, too - even after Brexit.

That's because it probably won't be worthwhile for manufacturers to make lower-grade models that can only be sold in Britain.
Fantastic news this. I wish they also extend it to include mandatory software support for at least 5 years.

I have a Samsung galaxy S8 and it's a fantastic phone. Only issue I have is the battery which I've heard is notoriously difficult to replace. Secondly samsung won't support any upgrades for it any longer which is a pain.

So something like this is great news for the consumer

MarylandMUFan

I went down a youtube rabbit hole last week with some guy showing how difficult apple makes it to fix their stuff and fighting for legislation to fix that (down to custom screws). The companies want to retain ownership of the device AFTER they sell it to you. Really glad to see legislation going in the right way.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Excellent. Hopefully it actually happens. Whoever pushes for these things and potentially gets them through should be in the headlines more. There's barely a mention of who it is there.

Hopefully that means Macbooks will be properly openable again.

That being said, who's to say they won't make different shite for the US market and we get lumped in with them now we're out of the EU?

arthurka

#appledisslikesthis

It should make the manufacturers liable to provide parts and service for a prolonged time.