Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr0nix

We really can't look past Mahrez. Goals, assists, creativity, passing, pace, crossing, shooting, dribbling, set piece taking - he's got it all. A counter attacking threat with top notch decision making, close control, ability in tight spaces and a mentality that rivals them all; selflessness, selfishness - it really can't get better than that. A no brainer.
He is an extremely polished player, but two failed signings in a row from BVB have left a rather bad taste in the mouth... Kagawa and Mkhi are good players that couldn't quite make it here.

Robbo*

How much would Lemar and Pulisic cost in all likelihood? Would it be possible to acquire both for a similar fee to that which Dybala would command?

Mcking

How much would Lemar and Pulisic cost in all likelihood? Would it be possible to acquire both for a similar fee to that which Dybala would command?
It is possible if we drive a hard bargian. Lemar is being quoted at 90m, but should realistically cost close to 70m. Pulisic is a bit overpriced at over 90m though.

Mcking

He is an extremely polished player, but two failed signings in a row from BVB have left a rather bad taste in the mouth... Kagawa and Mkhi are good players that couldn't quite make it here.
Are you talking about Pulisic?

Robbo*

It is possible if we drive a hard bargian. Lemar is being quoted at 90m, but should realistically cost close to 70m. Pulisic is a bit overpriced at over 90m though.
If we are losing Micky, Carrick, Fellaini and Ibra by start of next season I wouldn't mind picking both Lemar and Pulisic up (assuming Sanchez a no go) and then adding, say, Fabinho and Kovacic in midfield. Would give us a much fresher feel - particularly if we also bring Pereira and Fosu back into the fold.

Mcking

If we are losing Micky, Carrick, Fellaini and Ibra by start of next season I wouldn't mind picking both Lemar and Pulisic up (assuming Sanchez a no go) and then adding, say, Fabinho and Kovacic in midfield. Would give us a much fresher feel - particularly if we also bring Pereira and Fosu back into the fold.
I think we'd be better off with signing a CM-AM hybrid type and spending the other sum on a fullback, rather than spending on an AM as well as a CM.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I would want Pulisic if it wasn't for the Dortmund witchcraft.

We could sign Messi from Dortmund and he would still flop for us.

ValenciaRocks

I haven’t had the time to read through all of the posts but how about Julian Draxler?

I remember watching him a few times for Wolfsburg and he really impressed me with his dribbling, pace and has immense control of the ball. I know he plays predominantly on the left but I’m pretty sure that although he’s two footed, he is stronger on his right. He’s rarely getting a look-in at PSG, such is their wealth of talent. I’d estimate a fee of around $40M but could be more than this due to it being January!

What do you guys think? Anyone seen much of him more recently?

Reactions: Sultan

Pastore27

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I haven’t had the time to read through all of the posts but how about Julian Draxler?

I remember watching him a few times for Wolfsburg and he really impressed me with his dribbling, pace and has immense control of the ball. I know he plays predominantly on the left but I’m pretty sure that although he’s two footed, he is stronger on his right. He’s rarely getting a look-in at PSG, such is their wealth of talent. I’d estimate a fee of around $40M but could be more than this due to it being January!

What do you guys think? Anyone seen much of him more recently?
He was moved to the midfield when Neymar/Mbappé arrived and he has started many games.
Paris don't want to sell and it seems he doesn't want to leave either.
It'll probably be Lucas Moura for you, the only problem is that MU wants to loan and Paris has to sell.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He was moved to the midfield when Neymar/Mbappé arrived and he has started many games.
Paris don't want to sell and it seems he doesn't want to leave either.
It'll probably be Lucas Moura for you, the only problem is that MU wants to loan and Paris has to sell.
With Mbappe transfer and FFP issues, would have thought any potential buyers can hold PSG to ransom?

BrianLy

Maybe this isn't a popular opinion in 2018, but I think we need a right winger who can regularly get to the byline and put in a range of accurate crosses. In our current setup we are so predictable, and when opportunities present to flank opponents we often miss out. I've taken a look at a lot of the suggestions in threads and most of them can turn on the style, but follow this same pattern of always cutting inside. Are there any options that will give us some additional variation? I'm not suggesting that we switch to some Giggs and Kanchelskis style, but instead change the ratios slightly to add some variation and become less predictable.

Delivery is another question. This right winger needs to be fairly reliable at crossing, and ideally know when to push to the byline versus hitting something a bit early on the diagonal to speed up play.

automaticflare

Maybe this isn't a popular opinion in 2018, but I think we need a right winger who can regularly get to the byline and put in a range of accurate crosses. In our current setup we are so predictable, and when opportunities present to flank opponents we often miss out. I've taken a look at a lot of the suggestions in threads and most of them can turn on the style, but follow this same pattern of always cutting inside. Are there any options that will give us some additional variation? I'm not suggesting that we switch to some Giggs and Kanchelskis style, but instead change the ratios slightly to add some variation and become less predictable.

Delivery is another question. This right winger needs to be fairly reliable at crossing, and ideally know when to push to the byline versus hitting something a bit early on the diagonal to speed up play.
I think modern football that delivery comes from the full backs.
It is one of the reasons we have been so poor until young started playing there.
He actually has a decent delivery on him where our other options at full back on either side have very very questionable delivery. Valencia if he had half decent delivery could have 10 assists a season for the positions he finds himself in in every game

L1nk

I would say Pulisic is known for dribbling, beating a man and getting into good positions, albeit he is a little raw. An alternative would be Hirving Lozano who is doing good things with PSV this season too. If we are serious about this RW position though, and want someone with pace, flair, technical ability, youthful drive, and with passion for the club, then it has to be Christian Pulisic all the way, because he is also a known fan of United. He has the ability to nail down that spot for the next 15 odd years due to his age, and the fact that he is unlikely to want to leave, unless we put him in a position where he could do better elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orange Tree

I'd take Mahrez or Moura this window and then looks at Pulisic in the summer. Just think of all the sponsorship deals Ed can do :drool:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Guedes played some games as a right-winger with PSG last season. I don't follow Valencia but - given his excellent performances there - this option deserves some consideration IMO

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Guedes played some games as a right-winger with PSG last season. I don't follow Valencia but - given his excellent performances there - this option deserves some consideration IMO
Haha, is there any PSG player you're not trying to sell?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Haha, is there any PSG player you're not trying to sell?
Any other PSG player you mean? Let me think...

Javier Pastore :drool: is the remaining one who is available in the short run and likely to be an upgrade. Very risky acquisition though.

The other players aren't allowed to move or very exciting players for United: Kurzawa, Berchiche, Lo Celso, Kimpembe, Di Maria, Krychowiak, Jese, Ben Arfa...

Icemav

I reckon Sanches would be a good RW option. Maybe we should have a look at him?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Any other PSG player you mean? Let me think...

Javier Pastore :drool: is the remaining one who is available in the short run and likely to be an upgrade. Very risky acquisition though.

The other players aren't allowed to move or very exciting players for United: Kurzawa, Berchiche, Lo Celso, Kimpembe, Di Maria, Krychowiak, Jese, Ben Arfa...
Ahh I remember Pastore at Palermo, I was all for signing him. Its funny those are quite a good list of castaways!

L1nk

If we could get in Sanchez he would be a great option for the RW, bring in Pulisic in the summer and the things he could learn from Sanchez would be elite. Sanchez would be nearing 30 and with Pulisic being so young he could still switch around with Sanchez but be ready to take over fully from him in a few years then. However, this is all a bit of a dream scenario, we'll see what happens.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

We really should try to do something in this window. Don't care if it's Mahrez, Malcom, Moura or some kid from the dutch league. Would just be nice to finally see a proper right winger at the club.

IrishRedDevil

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-the-right-wing-rather-than-the-a6988351.html

“It was good to see Alexis Sanchez score again last weekend,” Wenger writes of the 3-3 draw against West Ham last Saturday. “Most of the time it’s with the efficiency of his performances that you know the he is back to his best. He’s a striker who can have an impact on the game and since he’s come back on the right, I think he is more efficient. It is more natural for him than on the left. His game is a bit more predictable on the left. On the right he is unpredictable because he can go outside and inside. On the left he looks always to come inside and that’s easier to block.”

Wenger saying that Sanchez is better and more unpredictable playing on the right.

Super Nani

Well it looks like we've found out the answer to this question. I don't think many were thinking we would hijack City's attempt to sign Sanchez but here we are, all excitedly checking for transfer updates with it apparently now imminent. I really hope Woodward has pulled this one off and we get our man!

ATXRedDevil

If we could get in Sanchez he would be a great option for the RW, bring in Pulisic in the summer and the things he could learn from Sanchez would be elite. Sanchez would be nearing 30 and with Pulisic being so young he could still switch around with Sanchez but be ready to take over fully from him in a few years then. However, this is all a bit of a dream scenario, we'll see what happens.
Exactly what I’m hoping happens.

TheRedHearted

Exactly what I’m hoping happens.
What would be good about buying both of them is we would acquire two wingers. Sanchez of course would be favored on the right but when Pulisic is ready he can start on the right and we can actually play Martial and Lukaku up front together.

Devil may care

This would be pretty much ideal, it would show great forward planning by the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.