g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Pulisic is a seasoned Dortmund performer, has more Budesliga appearances than Sane ever had and is arguably the USMNT star man.
Not meant to be talking about Pulisic anyway, but you can't deny that Sane, Sterling and Silva - especially Sane and Sterling - were all hype and potential when City got 'em.
Having watched both I disagree. Sane was a lot better than Pulisic in Bundesliga, his ability to make defenders look stupid is something Pulisic doesn't have, he used to be a bit of a headless chicken back then but he always created danger.
Also no disrespect but being the USMNT star man doesn't really mean much about Pulisic's quality compared to others possibles signings we could make. Pretty much all the options we'll discuss about would also be the the star player of the USMNT.

Like Alexis Sanchez? Or Bastian Schweinsteiger? Or Radamel Falcao? Or Angel Di Maria? Or Juan Veron?
You make a good point but Schweinsteiger was already on a massive decline before we signed him. Falco's failure is imo mostly on his injuries and he took some time to get back in track.
Di Maria and Sanchez are the kind of transfers I don't want to see happen again but I'm still convinced we need a proven player.
Martial and Rashford already provide for the future, as well as Lukaku being quite young too. It's time to pack some world class offensive threat in our starting XI

The Irish Connection

The lad chiesa at fiorentina as someone mentioned recently in here looks good. Going to be keeping an eye on him this year when I can. Very quick and hard working and has a good shot off both feet.

Douglas Costa would be another good option in my opinion.

el3mel

There're no top names available, so we'll need to take the youth route. Bring someone young and talented and persist with him while developing. He'll still do x10 more than the dross served by Mata and Lingard there.

Devil may care

At this moment in time you could probably make that point about any player we could potentially sign. I'm fairly certain about Traore though. Wherever he will go, he's going to be successful IMO.
Fair enough mate, have Chelsea got a buyback clause with him? If so I imagine they may look at bringing him back to replace Willian.

bucky

Fair enough mate, have Chelsea got a buyback clause with him? If so I imagine they may look at bringing him back to replace Willian.
According to google buyback clauses aren't allowed in Ligue 1, but they seem to have some sort of agreement with Lyon. Still dependent on the player, if he actually wants to go back, I believe. Would be a very sensible signing for them.

Devil may care

According to google buyback clauses aren't allowed in Ligue 1, but they seem to have some sort of agreement with Lyon. Still dependent on the player, if he actually wants to go back, I believe. Would be a very sensible signing for them.
Didn't know that buyback clauses were illegal in Ligue 1, so basically Chelsea and Lyon must have a gentlemans agreement, if Aulas sticks to it. I think Traore would likely suit Sarri.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Malcom and Mahrez were as obvious as it gets IMO. But they're both not available anymore.

Flanders Devil

Not realistic, but would love: Mbappe or Bale or Asensio

Semi Realistic, and want: Son - I think he’d do well for us. Seems to have the right temperament and the skills.

Too Realistic, and who Jose really wants: Willian

What we will probably end up with: mandzukic playing RW

Infra-red

Not realistic, but would love: Mbappe or Bale or Asensio

Semi Realistic, and want: Son - I think he’d do well for us. Seems to have the right temperament and the skills.

Too Realistic, and who Jose really wants: Willian

What we will probably end up with: mandzukic playing RW
José looks to have lost the trust of Woodward, so I doubt he'll be getting anyone from his wishlist in January and will be out by the summer. Any RW purchases will have to wait until the new manager is in place.

Charles Miller

Why both are physically small, unproven in the PL and right now any right winger worth his weight in gold will simply not want to play under Jose as an Auxilary Right Back!
Lucas Paqueta is tall and very strong, mate. But he is a midfielder.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
It's crazy to watch wingers at mid-low league clubs having more of an impact than ours.

I mean, all they are doing is running, using the defender back, and putting a few crosses in.

Ours do not even do that. It's really really pathetic.

So on that note, ill happily move away from the marquee signing and just buy some average wingers (Valencia and young esque) and go from there...

IRELANDUNITED

Lingard is a great squad player like JSP was for us, why the hell would we sell him? He's deployed on the RW, where he's half the player he can be playing centrally because some football superstar with insane wages - Sanchez came to the team and we changed our set up to three midfielders. So yes it is really daft to ask a question like this
Lingard wouldn't be fit to lack Ji Sung Park's boots, just because he's English and scores the odd wonder goal he gets so much undeserved hype. And what's worse about him is his I never get the sense from him that he's overly arsed, it's all a bit of a laugh to him it appears.

IRELANDUNITED

That’s a bit left field. Why would we sell him? He’d have a queue of suitors should we ever decide he’s surplus
By a queue of suitors do you mean West Ham, Burnley, Southampton and the likes? Would Chelsea want him? Or Liverpool? Or City/Spurs/Arsenal?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
By a queue of suitors do you mean West Ham, Burnley, Southampton and the likes? Would Chelsea want him? Or Liverpool? Or City/Spurs/Arsenal?
We wouldn’t sell to Liverpool so that’s irrelevant. Could he get in their team, why not? Milner does. I bet Klopp could get more out of him.
Chelsea give games to Barkley and lingard is better imho so why not?
City, maybe not as they’re stacked. Spurs and arsenal absolutely no reason why not. I could envisage a few foreign teams in for him too

IRELANDUNITED

We wouldn’t sell to Liverpool so that’s irrelevant. Could he get in their team, why not? Milner does. I bet Klopp could get more out of him.
Chelsea give games to Barkley and lingard is better imho so why not?
City, maybe not as they’re stacked. Spurs and arsenal absolutely no reason why not. I could envisage a few foreign teams in for him too

Good grief I me & you will never agree on this, i cannot see what you see in him at all. Let me ask you something, and i'm not trying to be funny or anything, but when was the last time he had an outstanding game for us? Or even a good game?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good grief I me & you will never agree on this, i cannot see what you see in him at all. Let me ask you something, and i'm not trying to be funny or anything, but when was the last time he had an outstanding game for us? Or even a good game?
Most of last season when he was played in the right position.
This season he hasn’t reached the same heights yet but for whatever reason you could level that at all the attackers so far.
I know one thing though if we ever replace Mourinho with an attacking coach then his movement will be very appreciated

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Lingard wouldn't be fit to lack Ji Sung Park's boots, just because he's English and scores the odd wonder goal he gets so much undeserved hype. And what's worse about him is his I never get the sense from him that he's overly arsed, it's all a bit of a laugh to him it appears.
:lol: he certainly cares on the pitch and certainly could fit Ji's boots, occassional wonder goal, think he scored already more wondergoals (and a lot of them important too)as Ji did

LuckyScout78

Jadon Sancho. As a freelance scout. I would recommend him to every top clubs in the biggest leagues. Its a pleasure watching this boy playing for Dortmund. He is two feets player and can play on both wings. But im not sure Sancho is Mourinho type of player. Mourinho would burn out all the confidence of the boy by his defensive instructions and tactic. With Dortmund he can play to his max offensive pontential and he is having really good football pkayers teammates. That are reason why Dortmund are on top of the table.

And last thing of all. I think Dortmund have, maybe the best scouting and recruit team in Europe. They always selling theirs best players, but they always find new upcoming and new quality players. Two thumbs up for Dortmund recruiting team. If Monaco is the club to shop from few years back, then Dortmund is the club to shop from. And back to Sancho. Its exciting to see where his next club after Dortmund is. Im sure Dortmund is not his last club.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bruma is playing today against Scotland. He’s one who has the talent certainly, and if he can put his game together could be a monster player. Similar to Mané, but technically better for me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bruma is playing today against Scotland. He’s one who has the talent certainly, and if he can put his game together could be a monster player. Similar to Mané, but technically better for me.
Just scored a cracker although played on the left.

Patrick08

And Madrid/Barca/Juve (probably more likely 2020 summer) will all be there are the head of the queue. Plus, Eriksen is wasted as a right winger.
Enough of Madrid Barca I believe, we have to pull our weight in the transfer market, it won't be easy I understand the dynamics, but its time we act like the stature of the club we are.

Also we have exhausted ourselves of natural right wing options, unless we are looking for another young potential with inconsistency, which is not what we need in our rocky situation.

VJ1762

Enough of Madrid Barca I believe, we have to pull our weight in the transfer market, it won't be easy I understand the dynamics, but its time we act like the stature of the club we are.
This 100%. Every one bangs about Fergie giving chances to youth and what not, but he only did that after we established a culture of winning( unless you are Ryan Giggs). We don't have that currently and we don't have to waste the primes of Pogba and de gea even more by bringing in talented but inconsistent youngsters. We need a finished article, period.

tekkers3

Has Federico Chiesa been suggested here?
Right winger (but has played on the left also), 20yo, has played a two seasons in Florentina's senior team after coming through the youth set up.
Started all bar three game out of 38 last season in the league. 6 goals, 9 assists. Has 2 goals 2 assists in 8 games this season. Also played 9 times for Italy.

Champagne Football

Rebic has started the season well although I believe he is playing as a striker at Frankfurt. 3 goals and 1 assist so far. He's a Jose signing if ever there was one and one of the very few players who might be available in January for the right money. He has played on the right often before. Not sure Ed will entertain a signing like that though with Martial, Rashford, Lingard and Mata already able to play there.

See,I liked what I saw of Rebic in the summer.Direct,busy and generally a smart player who I think with the right coaching could turn out to be a effective player.Pretty much a younger version of Valencia,which I know alot of posters will frown upon unfortunately.

Suvvernmanc

My heart is saying Pulisic, Sancho or Lozano.. but think we should have got Willian in the summer. Surprised that so many on here said he wasnt good enough. He optimises a mourinho type of forward/winger. He works hard and defends well, he just doesnt score enough goals which might have been a problem.

Out of the 3 mentioned before, Lozano would be a good shout. Hes progressed well in the Dutch league after leaving mexico and shone in russia in the summer, against some good teams it has to be said.

Pulisic might be gettable in the summer. There were rumours in the summer that he has stalled on a contract renewel with Dortmund and his current contract runs until 2020. With this in mind he could likely move on.

Sancho has signed a new contract at Dortmund until 2020 so it would take silly money to get him and i doubt he would come, hes at the right place for his development.

sam147

There is a shortage of proper RWs in the market. Perisic is one that would make sense even if its for a year or two. Son is the only player I can think of that has similar attributes to him. Id say Perisic+Promote Chong. Stop this nonsense of Lingard and Mata on the wing. Depends on our next manager a lot as well. I would like to see us play 4231 with Pogba at CAM and Fred with an actual Mobile DM behind him. In that formation width would come from the RB who would hopefully be Dalot and if we some how sign Eriksen he would be the perfect fit for Right attacking mid. Someone who can cross, pick a pass through to the RB, link up play and put a shift in.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
There is a shortage of proper RWs in the market. Perisic is one that would make sense even if its for a year or two. Son is the only player I can think of that has similar attributes to him. Id say Perisic+Promote Chong. Stop this nonsense of Lingard and Mata on the wing. Depends on our next manager a lot as well. I would like to see us play 4231 with Pogba at CAM and Fred with an actual Mobile DM behind him. In that formation width would come from the RB who would hopefully be Dalot and if we some how sign Eriksen he would be the perfect fit for Right attacking mid. Someone who can cross, pick a pass through to the RB, link up play and put a shift in.
Don't Perisic and Son both play primarily on the left?

United Pro

Also we have exhausted ourselves of natural right wing options, unless we are looking for another young potential with inconsistency, which is not what we need in our rocky situation.
I agree, we need to compete with the likes of Madrid and Barca in getting the best players.

On your second point, I'd prefer a natural right winger playing there. We have plenty of players that aren't natural there, but can play there. On Eriksen, I can see some similarities with Beckham playing on the right. However, I'd rather we target a technically sound, pacy player with good end product. A left footer to add variation to our attack would also be nice, but not necessary. Mahrez and Malcom were two players that fit that bill, but both moved on to other big clubs in the summer. Just looking at some potentially available players on the market: Thauvin, Lozano, Chiesa, Pulisic and Pepe could all be shouts.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Don't Perisic and Son both play primarily on the left?
Correct.

Last time Perisic played on the right was back on the 23rd October 2016 against Atalanta. He played RW a bit more often (9 games) in 15/16. But he's a left winger clear as day. Exact same situation for Son as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.