Rio Ferdinand apologises to Phil Jones

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Ceteris

Weird how people on here are jumping on this, where was this energy when Pogba was accused of faking his injury?

Amarsdd

I think the apology probably should've gone further than that. Didn’t he say he was a waste of time? That's harsh if true.
Ok, this thread is turning into a game of telephone. Starting from an article that took things out of context and made sensational headline out of it, and to things being just thrown around in this thread.

Please everyone listen to Rio himself what he said about Jones. I've linked the time in the podcast when he starts talking about Jones (around17:24)

Dve

This.

Rio’s fecking brilliant.
Thus, not much brilliance in his comment about Jones. He was just being an arse.

"If I was in the squad with someone like that I wouldn’t talk to them.

"They are a waste of time, why would I chat to you and give you any energy, taking that away from my other teammates who are here to play and go into battle for 90 minutes every week."

Amarsdd

Thus, not much brilliance in his comment about Jones. He was just being an arse.

"They are a waste of time, why would I chat to you and give you any energy, taking that away from my other teammates who are here to play and go into battle for 90 minutes every week."
Come on! Please check the context of those quotes seriously. It was not at all directed at Jones.

SirAF

Ageist

It’s not even about the Jones comments. Some United fans seem to dislike Rio, it’s baffling.

Dve

Come on! Please check the context of those quotes seriously. It was not at all directed at Jones.
He was talking about Jones and people like that, was he not? Players "who are happy to just sit at clubs and not play and just chill", which for him, Jones was one example of. What am I missing here?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I just watched the video and it's not really out of context. The comments didn't necessarily apply specifically to Jones, but he was certainly including Jones in them.

Brophs

The One and Only
That 'apology' puts paid to the idea that Rio said those things because he was privy to things the average punter isn't.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Weird how people on here are jumping on this, where was this energy when Pogba was accused of faking his injury?
Pretty obvious where it was. It’s being stored away to shoot pelters at him the second he does get injured or has a few poor games.

Amarsdd

He was talking about Jones and people like that, was he not? Players "who are happy to just sit at clubs and not play and just chill", which for him, Jones was one example of. What am I missing here?
I just watched the video and it's not really out of context. The comments didn't necessarily apply specifically to Jones, but he was certainly including Jones in them.
Rio mentions he does not know the situation with Jones injury. And I think Steve brings in a point about players who are happy to sit on their contracts without a desire to play even when they are fit. And the above quotes come in when Steve asks Rio what he would do if someone like that was in his team.

Last edited:

Ananke

I’m with Rio on this. Remember watching it, didn’t think anyone said anything out of line. I get Jones has had injury difficulties, I get that he’s a hard worker and a family man. But still doesn’t take away from the fact he’s not competing for a place here.

When we’re talking about deadwood and trimming the bloated squad down, he’s a key name. Injury or no injury, he’s not in the mix.

People should watch the entire video and take it in context rather than a headline that’s been made.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
They'd been talking about Winston Bogarde (infamous Chelsea layabout) directly beforehand and he had mentioned Jones' injuries, so it didn't seem squarely directed at Jones to me. It was still pretty brutal though, and as much as I like Rio normally I thought he was out of order here.

stevoc

I think the apology probably should've gone further than that. Didn’t he say he was a waste of time? That's harsh if true.
I think most people just read the headline and missed that Rio was mostly speaking in hypotheticals.

“To be fair to Phil Jones, I’ve not seen him come out and speak and clarify, he might have had injuries we don’t know about. But if he’s been fit and has been sitting there like he has been, sign a new deal and stay and not go out on loan… that’s not what a footballer wants to do.

“There are players who are happy to just sit and clubs and not play and just chill. Winston Bogarde did it at Chelsea for about three or four years. Signed a big deal and commuted in from Holland.

If I was in the squad with someone like that I wouldn’t talk to them. They are a waste of time, why would I chat to you and give you any energy, taking that away from my other teammates who are here to play and go into battle for 90 minutes every week.”

RUCK4444

I think Rio was a tad harsh but at the same time he was asking a question about the player that (at that time) hadn’t been answered.

He was questioning if he signed that contract and has sat collecting his pay whilst being fit and therefore questioned his intentions at the club etc.

Now Ole said himself neither the player or the manager himself has elaborated on his situation for a long time, that allows people to draw their own conclusions.

We still don’t know what the latest injury was, if it’s recurring or multiple issues, is it some chronic underlying condition? As far as I can see its still a mystery?

Green_Red

Just goes to show, whilst your running your mouth you have little knowledge of a persons actual situation. Think before you speak.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think Jones should leave regardless, he is taking up space and wages.

Dve

They'd been talking about Winston Bogarde (infamous Chelsea layabout) directly beforehand and he had mentioned Jones' injuries, so it didn't seem squarely directed at Jones to me. It was still pretty brutal though, and as much as I like Rio normally I thought he was out of order here.
Alright. I´ve just read the quotes, which made it look like he was obviously talking about Jones. I understand now that watching the video may soften it a bit.

Withnail

I get the quotes were taken out of context and I didn't think they were as bad as they were being made out but I'm baffled he didn't know Jones has been injured. What planet is he on?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
People are acting so weird about Rio. I don't understand this display of dislike towards him that I see regularly on the Caf.
:lol: it's almost a universal thing here on the Caf for all our ex players. Roy Keane, the Nevilles, Giggs (justifiably so), Rooney etc. There's a constant theme where our ex players (some legends) are shat on or failure is wished upon them. It's extremely fecked up.

dal

I think Rios initial response is from frustration which many fans can have.

I mean we all say it ourselves, it can take a while for judgement to overcome that cloud.

Ixion

I don't think Rio should have to apologise, Jones should be released. If I didn't do my job for 2 years I'd be let go and I wouldn't have years of 70k a week to fall back on.

If he was dealing with some life threatening illness I'd say by all means the club should help him but if he's just got injury after injury then I'm sorry he's on far too much money to just be continuously at the physio and needs to be released until he can prove his fitness to another club.

Last edited:

Fox outside the box

Quite funny that so many people are pretending to be outraged by this. I see our fans frequently trash our players and manager, sometimes very personally. Jones has had so much stick from our own lot, to the point he said he wouldn't have a testimonial because noone would turn up.

That's nothing to do with Rio, that's our own fan base making him feel like that. Sure, Rio may have gone a bit hard on him but it's nothing compared to what our own say pretty much every week about this player or that. Solskjaer as well. So to see so many people giving Rio stick, seems like at least some of those people are massive hypocrites. This is what happens when you ride the wave of public opinion.

redrobed

Don’t worry about it bro, you are a Utd legend and one of the main reasons I started supporting Utd. You don’t need to apologize to anyone.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's not that, Amar. Injuries have a way of causing depression. One day you are fit and able and then next you're not. When you are hit by a string of injuries then it gets even worse.
I know, my total amateur football career is interrupted first by knee injury few years ago, and last year by calf rupture, I felt like shit, but decided I won't play football anymore after calf injury because recovery was pain in the ass. And I seriously like playing football. Jones had so many injury problems that he had to think about doing something different with his life, he is not the first one with these problems. Even changing the level of competition would be good enough if it's just about love of football, I am sure his body is good enough to avoid injuries on lower level.