Rio on Mourinho/Beckham/Ronaldo, etc

Member 5225

Ain't seen a thread on this, so here it is:

CRISTIANO RONALDO GOT IT WRONG

REAL DEAL - Rio Ferdinand (left) reckons Cristiano Ronaldo made mistakes over his on-off move to Real Madrid
United winger could have handled Real Madrid saga better, says Rio Ferdinand
By DAVID HARRISON, 28/02/2009

CRISTIANO RONALDO could have handled the saga of his on-off to Real Madrid better, says Rio Ferdinand
The Old Trafford defender said: “It’s true he didn’t say what a lot of people at the club wanted him to say during the summer, especially the fans.

“They didn’t want to hear him say he wanted to leave. He was badly advised and could have handled things better.

“But he’s a brilliant player. As much as Ronaldo likes his nice cars, houses, girls, watches, the guy is one of the top three-to-four per cent of professionals I’ve played with.

“Why do people hate him? Because he’s got everything. He’s a good-looking guy with every woman in the country after him, all the money in the world and he’s a fantastic player.

“And he’s not ashamed to walk with his chest out. Nothing wrong with that.”

...AND SO DID DAVID BECKHAM

BAD MOVE - Rio reckons David Beckham (left) was wrong to join LA Galaxy
FERDINAND reckons David Beckham made a bad career move when he signed for LA Galaxy.

He argues that achieving football success in America is meaningless and his former United team-mate, now 33, cannot improve the standing of the game in the States.

Ferdinand said: “I wouldn’t have gone, that’s for sure. But everyone’s motivations are different. I would never have gone to America to play football if I was his age. Never. No way.

“Even if you win the league there, what does it mean? It doesn’t mean anything. I don’t think he’s going to change football at all there, they’re not interested.

“No disrespect, but that’s the truth. But everyone’s different and I respect that.”

MOURINHO CAN REPLACE FERGIE

HERE WE JO - Rio Ferdinand shows his respect for Jose Mourinho back in 2005
JOSE MOURINHO is the man to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson, according to Ferdinand.

He has always been a fan of the former Chelsea and current Inter Milan boss and was his first choice to become England manager before the FA appointed Fabio Capello.

Jonathan Woodgate on today's Carling Cup final

Ferdinand believes Mourinho could fill Fergie’s boots.

He said: “There are very few people who could do it. If you’re talking about someone with the ego and personality to do it, then Jose Mourinho is the name that jumps out at you.”

Rio rates Harry Redknapp as “he makes you feel like a million dollars,” reckons the FA were too hasty in getting rid of Glenn Hoddle but had no time for Kevin Keegan as “he didn’t like the way I played and I didn’t like the way he managed.”

GIRLS 'PROSTITUTE' THEMSELVES
FERDINAND claims there are girls ready to "prostitute" themselves by hanging around the football circuit.

He admits he was a victim of the "gold-diggers" when he was younger.

Ferdinand said: "It’s prostitution, isn’t it? You see all those girls on the football circuit and they just want to go out with a player and sell the story. Sometimes they even have the deal done in advance. I was warned about it, but I was too young to care.

"It was almost like I wanted to burn myself. Some kids take the advice, others have to go through the process of making their own mistakes.

"There are lots of benefits to bein famous. I never really have to queue for anything.

"But that can be a bit embarrassing. You’ll ring a restaurant and try to book a table and they say they are full up, but then ask you to leave your name and number in case one becomes available, and the moment you do they suddenly say there is a table.

"But there are downsides too. I can’t take my little boy to the park without people bothering me for autographs or photos."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/196452/CRISTIANO-RONALDO-GOT-IT-WRONG.html