RIP Ian St John

Saint and Greavsie was THE football show. Difficult to comprehend there was such little football on tv when som of us were growing up.

RIP.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Hated Utd especially when we became successful under SAF :lol: Proper Liverpool man through and through. The Saint and Greavsie was a must watch on Sat morning.
RIP

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I don’t remember anything specifically about Saint & Greavsie now apart from it being essential viewing for any young football fan and a part of my childhood.

RIP

GueRed

Saint & Greavsie and Sarah Greene off Going Live was part of my youth man.

RIP Ian St John

even when you were bitter over us in the late 90's doing commentary and shit :D

condolences to his loved ones.

simplyared

Not a Liverpool fan but I'm gutted even so. Saw him as a lad many times when he played under Shankly and we had Sir Matt. Football was different then and being a young utd fan you saw football from a different angle in those days. You must have lived it to realize the importance the Shankly era and the impact it had on everyone interested in the game. St John was a Shankly product Scottish of course . Played in the centre forward position and was there to score goals. Wouldn't class him as a typical striker however. A true legend RIP.

Josh 76

The Saint and Greavaise show was what I looked forward to every week. Football on TV was very rare. So any chance to see some goals was gold dust. I use to record Football Focus on video as it was running the same time on the BBC and watch it straight after.

RIP the Saint. Thanks for the magical memories.

Chipper

Adulterer.
RIP, like a lot of others I really liked watching Saint and Greavsie when I was a kid.

Suppose my biggest memory of it was that they did a 100m challenge where every club in the football league put up a player to represent them in a series of races. The winner got £10,000 which was quite a lot to any player then. I don't think the best paid were getting that a a week a yet, perhaps a third or half of that, and certainly the players in division 4/League Two weren't. The final was on the pitch at Wembley ahead of the Rumbelows Cup final, a Coventry player won it.

Also saw a classic clip lately where they had Donald Trump doing the draw for the League Cup quarter final one season.

For some reason they always liked taking the piss out of Ian Ormondroyd.
I don't remember that but do remember Ormondroyd. Same build as Peter Crouch only he was rather crap. Suppose he stuck out because of that and was very noticable, you could hardly miss him.

Actually saw a clip of him yesterday, someone posted a video review of the 90/91 season in a thread about Steve Bruce scoring loads of goals that season on the United side of things. He gave away one of the penalties that Bruce converted.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
RIP, like a lot of others I really liked watching Saint and Greavsie when I was a kid.

Suppose my biggest memory of it was that they did a 100m challenge where every club in the football league put up a player to represent them in a series of races. The winner got £10,000 which was quite a lot to any player then. I don't think the best paid were getting that a a week a yet, perhaps a third or half of that, and certainly the players in division 4/League Two weren't. The final was on the pitch at Wembley ahead of the Rumbelows Cup final, a Coventry player won it.

Also saw a classic clip lately where they had Donald Trump doing the draw for the League Cup quarter final one season.

I don't remember that but do remember Ormondroyd. Same build as Peter Crouch only he was rather crap. Suppose he stuck out because of that and was very noticable, you could hardly miss him.

Actually saw a clip of him yesterday, someone posted a video review of the 90/91 season in a thread about Steve Bruce scoring loads of goals that season on the United side of things. He gave away one of the penalties that Bruce converted.
SAF was absolutely scathing about this as I recall. He said taking it to NYC and letting someone who hadn't a clue about our football made it a farce. Guess the great man knew something about Trump way back then

surf

Journalist to Shankly: what will you do when Jesus Christ comes back?
Shankly: move St John to inside right

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Loved Saint & Greavsie! Was a big part of my childhood. My first glimpse of Lee sharpe was on that program when he was at Torquay

seemed like a nice man. RIP

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Also grew up on Saint&Greavsie with great memories - it was pretty much all the footy we could watch on TV at the time, actually getting to watch a whole match was rare. Kids today have no idea !

came across this archive footage with a great feature on United starting around 4:00