RIP Jimmy Greaves

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
What a goal that was. It was like the defence wasn't there.
Think that was our 68 defence (3 years earlier obviously).. looked like playing a non league team in the cup. His shift of pace was deceptive.

Hugely intelligent footballer and could score all types of goals.. long range, taps ins, headers, could use both feet, could run with the ball at his feet and ALWAYS scored goals. He’d be worth an absolute fortune today

Red_toad

Too young to have watched him play but Saint and Greavsie was a must watch.
RIP to a true character of the game

Offsideagain

Top, top player. Quick and had that knack that all good strikers have in being in the right place at the right time. Not like these plastic players today. Great sense of humour. Desperately unlucky to be injured for the 1966 World Cup final.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Very sad news obviously before my time but his stats and the eye test show him to have been a true world class player and perhaps more importantly a really nice person as well

I guess means you have to appreciate them while their here as it would break my heart losing the likes of sir Bobby and Dennis

RIP

Canuckred64

Great player, great human being one of the best pure goal scorers England has even produced. RiP.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
One of the greatest goal scorers this country has ever seen.

11 seasons out of 12 scoring over 20 goals!

44 England goals in 57 caps! Should’ve had the record

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Greaves

This is him (1 min in) cooly drifting through our defence and placing it in the net. A lovely elegant player.

RIP.

2 assists in that game as well.

Such an underrated player — mostly because he was so unlucky with an injury against France in 1966. Obviously no one knows if England would've won it with him in Hurst's place but if they did, he would've been hailed alongside Charlton & Moore as one of England's greatest ever.

For me, he is by some distance the best English striker of all-time (although it's hard to assess Dean with the lack of footage of him).

Rest in peace.

Zen

They seem to ignore him when bigging up Haaland superfast start - or anyone else for that matter in comparisons.

135 in 177 for Haaland at 21
132 in 169 for Greaves at 21

Not that I watched him or Muller, bad sad to see both pass away this year. Used to marvel at their numbers.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
They seem to ignore him when bigging up Haaland superfast start - or anyone else for that matter in comparisons.

135 in 177 for Haaland at 21
132 in 169 for Greaves at 21

Not that I watched him or Muller, bad sad to see both pass away this year. Used to marvel at their numbers.
even at AC Milan, where he could was not happy with the manager, who seemed to sideline him and blame him for everything, he still scored 9 goals in 12 appearances, crazy.

Fitchett

My favourite Jimmy Greaves moment came before a game at Old Trafford in about 1967. In those days, the players would come out for a kick-about in the penalty area for 5 minutes before the start of the match. Spurs had their kick-about at the Stretford End that day.

At that time, there was a song called "spotty Maldoon" in the charts. Jimmy Greaves' strike partner was Alan Gilzean. The Stretford End started singing "spotty Gilzean, spotty Gilzean, he's got spots all over his face, spotty Gilzean". Well, Alan Gilzean wasn't impressed, but Jimmy Greaves most certainly was. He was laughing and pointing at his strike partner. He then turned to the Stretford End, waving his arms in a gesture for the crowd to sing louder. The Stretford End duly obliged and Jimmy responded by clapping to the crowd. Everyone, apart from Alan Gilzean, cracked up laughing!

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.