RIP Just Fontaine

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
One of those where you’re supposed to find he’s still alive to be surprised he’s dead. I would’ve genuinely thought he died like 20 years ago…

Excellent name though. RIP

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
A name I know very well, it's one of those football facts that you never ever forget.
RIP Just, your name will liveth forevermore.

Yorke to Cole

Incredible record of scoring goals, and not just at the 1958 World Cup. I looked at his record when I was boy I the early 90's and remember thinking how have France had great players never won a World Cup? Also the initiative of having a World Cup came from France.

I am sure it was around the time they failed to qualify for USA 94 and of course we had Eric Cantona.

That all changed in 98 of course and I have supported France ever since, even during 1996 Euros.

May Just Fontaine rest in peace.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
We have lost a lot so far this year it seems.

RIP Just Fontaine.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
I had no idea he was still alive. Rip legend.

Gerd Muller was always humble about his own World Cup record, because he needed two tournaments for his 14 goals, and praising Fontaine for scoring 13 in only one.

13 in one World Cup I doubt it will ever be broken.

Bro Naoned

Supports
FCNantes

Gerd Muller was always humble about his own World Cup record, because he needed two tournaments for his 14 goals, and praising Fontaine for scoring 13 in only one.

In one world cup, with just 16 teams !
And first world cup for Pele (won at 17 years) in 58.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

As they keep expanding the tournament it becomes more likely but it will still be very tough. Also his record is not a function of greater goal volume in the past, the average number of goals per game at the WC has not changed as much as you'd think.
RIP