Riyad Mahrez | 2017/18 Performances

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What do you mean? He's signed quite a variety of wide players across his career.
I was comparing Willian and Mahrez.
Not even a debate for me who Mourinho would choose.
His team's have always had a winger with liscence to roam/stay up the pitch (Ronaldo, Hazard, Robben). On the other side, more of a willing runner, someone who has no orobele tracking back and doing the dirty work (Di Maria, Willian, Duff).

Sb_16

I don't think we are even considering him, which is strange. He was influential in Leicester escaping relegation and of course winning the league following season. The next two seasons were iffy at certain points due to the transfer uncertainties but he showed his qualities yet again. We lack creativity, pace, dribblers and a right side. This makes so much sense.

The only reason I can think of is maybe he's workrate and defensive aspect are not up to our expectation but that is nullified by Valencia who is more than capable defensively on his own.

marktan

BBC reporting that City are close to singing him for around £60m https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44312760

A shame that. Would've been ideal for us on the right. Still holding on to a silver of hope that Jose pulls a Willian to Chelsea 2013 and steal Mahrez like he did Willian from Spurs.. but we're more likely to end up actually signing Willian. Which isn't bad, but I'd prefer Mahrez.

Alfie092

Mahrez is a brilliant little player, would have loved him at United!

Is Mahrez even guaranteed to start every game at City? He would have started every game for us if fit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not sure why we havent gone for him. Not a bad price for him, a good age, and surely we'd be able to convince him to come to be first choice instead of a likely squad player at City?

Gbenger

I don't think we are even considering him, which is strange.

The only reason I can think of is maybe he's workrate and defensive aspect are not up to our expectation but that is nullified by Valencia who is more than capable defensively on his own.
I wish this thing about workrate would die.

Watch Mahrez start pressing and running about at City.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Isn't Mahrez overkill for their attack? If anything, they need 2 CM's for depth.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Mahrez, like Drinkwater will find himself very soon expressing in private how he regrets leaving Leicester

Greck

Should have gone for him. We'll blame City's spending next season when we refused to go for these players for their lack of workrate, height or physicality

charlie9882

Isn't Mahrez overkill for their attack? If anything, they need 2 CM's for depth.
The last thing City need is a CM - they have KDB, Gundogan, Silva (x2) and Foden for two positions. City need a DM to eventually replace 33 year old Fernandinho, which is covered by the signing of Jorginho.

Pep has wanted another forward since last summer, when he tried to sign Sanchez, so he doesn't seem to think it's overkill. Sane and Sterling are the only true wingers in the team. Bernardo has been playing there, but I don't think that is where his future lies - he's not really a traditional Pep winger. Eventually I think he'll move centrally, like how David Silva moved from wide midfield to central.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The last thing City need is a CM - they have KDB, Gundogan, Silva (x2) and Foden for two positions. City need a DM to eventually replace 33 year old Fernandinho, which is covered by the signing of Jorginho.

Pep has wanted another forward since last summer, when he tried to sign Sanchez, so he doesn't seem to think it's overkill. It's down to him to keep all these players happy.
If Sterling is out they have no one for the RW, well Bernado Silva, but I think he is better for them in the middle

Jeffthered

Damn good signing. Top Premiership player, be interesting to watch in a Champions League team.

Bearded One

Should have gone for him. We'll blame City's spending next season when we refused to go for these players for their lack of workrate, height or physicality
I bumped this thread a few days ago when it seemed all but done. Now they are closer to signing him than ever before. Like you say, watch is blame their spending as the season pregresses rather than focus on our issues. The goal to gazump them on the league table is already a mountain we have to climb. We need to be more decisive indeed in the market and yes I concede that we may not be able to sign Mahrez anymore but let let's identify whoever that player is and go for it with every sense of urgency and precision.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's going to be impossible to catch City while they're buying up players they don't even really need. They don't really need anyone, but they'll obviously buy for the sake of it because they're so desperate to buy the CL.

I actually hate what they're doing to football.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Oh yeah, the midfielders we are looking to bring in are all giants. It's like some people just copy and paste Jose whinges from a spreadsheet now.

ivaldo

Just as the poster you quoted said then...

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I guess he is just happy to warm the bench at City. They already have Sanè and Sterling in his position.

AgentP

Is Mahrez worth the 75 million ( add ons included ) that Leicester wants?
I mean he's talented, but is he worth almost half our transfer budget, especially with doubts over his mentality?
Why are there doubts over his mentality? He desperately wants to leave Leicester but still turns up for them and performs at a very high level. Most other players would have sulked and performed below-par to force the move.

Greck

Oh yeah, the midfielders we are looking to bring in are all giants. It's like some people just copy and paste Jose whinges from a spreadsheet now.
I'm sure it's just a coincidence our central areas are loaded with palm trees. Save the delusion for the cult meetings

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Is Mahrez worth the 75 million ( add ons included ) that Leicester wants?
I mean he's talented, but is he worth almost half our transfer budget, especially with doubts over his mentality?
Absolutely not. According to the transfer guru in Redcafe he is only worth 40M max. He also needs to lower his salary to play for Man Utd as well.

ivaldo

I'm sure it's just a coincidence our central areas are loaded with palm trees. Save the delusion for the cult meetings
I'm sure all the reports that we are signing one who is 5ft 6 is false, and that Sanchez is really 6ft 7 and its all a conspiracy. You keep ticking them off the list though. Just moan about all our signings being old and you'll win whinge bingo!

crossy1686

career ending
I don't think we are even considering him, which is strange. He was influential in Leicester escaping relegation and of course winning the league following season. The next two seasons were iffy at certain points due to the transfer uncertainties but he showed his qualities yet again. We lack creativity, pace, dribblers and a right side. This makes so much sense.

He'd probably already told City he would sign for them at the end of the season. Agreed in principal and all that.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I guess he is just happy to warm the bench at City. They already have Sanè and Sterling in his position.
Baffling statement.

They have only two out and out wingers, if either Sterling or Sane get injured they have no out and out wide players.

At this present moment in time, Mahrez's best performance for Leicester and ability displayed is ahead of Sane for sure and better than Sterling. It's funny that this forum rates Sane so highly when Manchester City fans in their forum acknowledge that Sterling has been much better in the 17/18 season and is far more cosnsitent.

Also, Mahrez gives them the ability to dribble one vs one and also makes killer passes as well as shooting from outside the box. Pep has already forseen that teams are going to be more compact than before so MAhrez is going to be very useul as he is the only player that would be capable of doing 'something out of nothing'.

Sterling has the best off the ball movement at City but he is not that great one v one. Sane was asked to stay wide last season because of the Mendy injury but he is best dribbling diagonally inside and he isn't great in compact spaces and needs space to be at his best. Sane's decision making is the worst out of the attacking players and his presssing is the worst, his ff the ball movement needs a lot of work and Kevin de Bruyne has had issues with this in so many games I've watched.

Mahrez is better than the both of them technically, I can't believe it's up for debate here to be quite honest.

Add to the fact that Both playes will be at the world cup and Mahrez has the summer off, Pep would most likely not play those 2 as regualry from the start of the season so that they can avoid injury.

FInally, if City want to compete for every trophy then they need at least 2 players for every position. By the end of last season, Sane and Sterling where out of steam.

Minimalist

I do find it strange there's been no interest from United (certainly the type of player that would improve us) but I guess it could be he's been set for City for a long time now.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Baffling statement.

They have only two out and out wingers, if either Sterling or Sane get injured they have no out and out wide players.

At this present moment in time, Mahrez's best performance for Leicester and ability displayed is ahead of Sane for sure and better than Sterling. It's funny that this forum rates Sane so highly when Manchester City fans in their forum acknowledge that Sterling has been much better in the 17/18 season and is far more cosnsitent.

Also, Mahrez gives them the ability to dribble one vs one and also makes killer passes as well as shooting from outside the box. Pep has already forseen that teams are going to be more compact than before so MAhrez is going to be very useul as he is the only player that would be capable of doing 'something out of nothing'.

Sterling has the best off the ball movement at City but he is not that great one v one. Sane was asked to stay wide last season because of the Mendy injury but he is best dribbling diagonally inside and he isn't great in compact spaces and needs space to be at his best. Sane's decision making is the worst out of the attacking players and his presssing is the worst, his ff the ball movement needs a lot of work and Kevin de Bruyne has had issues with this in so many games I've watched.

Mahrez is better than the both of them technically, I can't believe it's up for debate here to be quite honest.

Add to the fact that Both playes will be at the world cup and Mahrez has the summer off, Pep would most likely not play those 2 as regualry from the start of the season so that they can avoid injury.

FInally, if City want to compete for every trophy then they need at least 2 players for every position. By the end of last season, Sane and Sterling where out of steam.
They can also play Bernardo or de Bruyne on the wings, tbh. It's not like they are short of options.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
They can also play Bernardo or de Bruyne on the wings, tbh. It's not like they are short of options.
So if Kevin de Bruyne plays on the wings you think he can provide what Sterling and Sane both do? And would Manchester City be as optimal in releasing the ball behind the defensive line? Again the answer to both is no. Mahrez offers a completely different solution than Sane and Sterling and at this moment in time is better player than both. De Bruyne is not as effective hugging the touchline.

Bernardo doesn't offer the same options as Either Sane or Sterling and is not fast. He doesn't play through balls and his main strength is press reistance and retaining the ball. So if one of Sterling and Sane get injured they have only 1 player that can play wide on the rw and can't play on the lw. It's really not that diffiult to understand. You just want to complain about City improving their team from where I am standing.

haram

What's the average height of our central acquisitions in the last 2 years?
He has signed Matic and Pogba? Two top players? Would it satisfy you if they were shorter or something? He didn't sign them because they were tall, it's an added bonus. They are top players in their own right.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I've changed my mind on him. I reckon he'd be an excellent player for United RW position.

Fauzan

Personally, prefer Mahrez to Bale but resigned to the fact that he's soon gonna slot in well at City IMO. Really strange we're not in for him. He's the kind of player we need on the right channel. His dead balls deliveries are also good and we're a relatively tall team.

The only reason which seems possible is that he wouldn't fit into the kind of football (if you call it football) we play. We're probably trying to outpace and out-muscle opponents rather than control the ball.

Aloysius's Back 3

Reason he isn't coming in my eyes is because our manager is adamant on one winger cutting in whilst the other on the other side stay wider as the touchline. Whilst mahrez could do that, it will likely be restrictive as it would be to Sanchez & anybody else.

A unilateral winger on the right is what he is looking for whilst we have an inside cutting one on the left. Nothing new even though mahrez would be an easy, worthwhile acquisition.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Reason he isn't coming in my eyes is because our manager is adamant on one winger cutting in whilst the other on the other side stay wider as the touchline. Whilst mahrez could do that, it will likely be restrictive as it would be to Sanchez & anybody else.

A unilateral winger on the right is what he is looking for whilst we have an inside cutting one on the left. Nothing new even though mahrez would be an easy, worthwhile acquisition.
no he isn't coming to you because he wants to join Manchester City, plus you have never actually expressed any interest

the chameleon

I'm certain that we would have been in for him Sir Alex was the manager. He has Fergie signing written all over him. Such a shame that our rival fans get to experience supporting him in his peak years. Typical Mourinho!

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
His playing style doesn't suit Man Utd's static attacking play with target man up front. It is the same for Sanchez as well. You need winger run to the baseline and cross the ball.