Road Trip Draft II 1st Round: MJJ vs Indnyc

Who will win based on all the players at their club career peak as mentioned?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Welcome to the Road Trip Draft II KO Stage.

Only the club career for the clubs mentioned against player names will be considered for evaluation. No national teams performances count whatsoever.

VS

TEAM MJJ

Formation - 4-2-3-1

Tactics :

• Quick transitions with the aim of getting both the wingers on the ball as much as possible.
  • Defensively solid midfield in charlton-davids and deschamps
  • Davids and Deschamps will be tasked with stopping maradona.
  • Batistuta will bully the opposition strikers and will feed off the service here, specially my right flank.

TEAM INDNYC

Formation - 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond

Inspiration -

Tactics - The team is built around the genius of Maradona when he played arguably his best football for Napoli.

The aim of the formation is to have Maradona on the ball to dictate the game. Napoli played a pressing game from the front. When Maradona was pressing the whole team would move forward with him. The way they played was like watching a working-class ballet. They were moving in perfect unity and the lead dancer was Diego, he controlled the pace and the movements of his teammate.

To support Maradona, we have Xavi and Socrates two creative midfielders and Stielike as the anchor in defensive midfield.

Upfront Law and Suarez reprise their roles for Man United and Barcelona respectively.

Luis Pereira and Koeman form a good Stopper/Libero partnership. Thuram can cover for Koemans runs allowing him to play his natural game.

Silvio Marzolini plays left back with Van der Sar completing the defense.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
At first sight:

@MJJ's side seems like an absolute standard 4-2-3-1 to me, with fitting selections for all positions and for the idea of playing quick transitions. Great individual quality as well.

Not quite sure about the wealth of playmakers in @Indnyc's team, especially when Maradona is supposed to dictate the game. Perhaps a supporting cast with a few less dominant players would have been a better choice? That setup still needs to be sold to me, tbh.

Last edited:

MJJ

At first sight:

@MJJ's side seems like an absolute standard 4-2-3-1 to me, with fitting selections for all positions and for the idea of playing quick transitions. Great individual quality as well.

Not quite sure about the wealth of playmakers in @Indnyc's team, especially when Maradona is supposed to dictate the game. Perhaps a supporting cast with a few less dominant players would have been a better choice? That setup still needs to be sold to me, tbh.
Thanks synco.

Not really sure how the midfield is expected to function @Indnyc or how good Suarez was as a right forward.

Marzolini was also a defensive left back so not sure you will be getting much width from the full backs.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
great team by mjj, have the same issues as synco for the indy team

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
@Indnyc

Mind sharing more details about what kind of players Bagni/Celestini were?
Box to box or playmakers?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That is a very weird interpretation of an ideal Maradona set up. I don't see how Suárez is a good fit for him, for example — he wasn't really fast and even in his Barcelona stint was very much an offensive playmaker. Also, Socrates on the right side of a diamond?

Moby

Dick
Probably tried something like a midfield of Uli Xavi and Suarez with Socrates in the hole and Diego as a free roaming left attacking midfielder

Moby

Dick
I would guess so? If he is being selected as a cb in a world cup tournament must be based on club football performances.
Could also be due to the requirements of the national team at the time. Any teamsheets for Ajax with him playing as CB?

GodShaveTheQueen

He played CB full time from 1976-77 season. Was Barry Hulshoff's last CB partner at Ajax.

I remember because I recently watched United vs Ajax UEFA cup clips from that season.

P.S: Both teams are fairly shit

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Well built team by MJJ. Not a fan of his fullbacks. Both are defensively suspect, but Indnyc is not set up to exploit this.

Indnyc's team is hard to decipher.
- Law was Inside Right and early Suarez was Inside Left iirc. Their flanks need to be swapped.
- Not sure on Suarez's role here. Would be OK if this was biter Suarez, but not the Spanish one.
- Socrates/Xavi looks to be set up for a possession/passing style whilst Diego excelled in direct teams.

Have to go with MJJ on this one.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Quite an odd if impressive collection of players from Indnyc.

Given the concentration of central midfield/attacking talent and lack of natural width, I wonder if some sort of midfield-swamping Spanish 4-5-1 type set-up could have worked. Socrates as the f9 through the middle, Maradona and Law supporting either side in the inside-forward positions, Xavi and Suarez dominating the ball in central midfield.

MJJ

Well built team by MJJ. Not a fan of his fullbacks. Both are defensively suspect, but Indnyc is not set up to exploit this.

Indnyc's team is hard to decipher.
- Law was Inside Right and early Suarez was Inside Left iirc. Their flanks need to be swapped.
- Not sure on Suarez's role here. Would be OK if this was biter Suarez, but not the Spanish one.
- Socrates/Xavi looks to be set up for a possession/passing style whilst Diego excelled in direct teams.

Have to go with MJJ on this one.
Disagree on alves being defensively suspect, he kept Ronaldo of all people quiet.

harms

Staff
Disagree on alves being defensively suspect, he kept Ronaldo of all people quiet.
That's such a lazy argument. It wasn't Alves, it was Barcelona, which had a very unique way of limiting opposition's attackers influence. And even if it was, does Alves having a good record against Ronaldo somehow eradicates his numerous defensive and positional mistakes?

In an all-time context, Alves is definitely a bit short on the defensive side. If he wasn't, he would've been an unquestionable GOAT, considering his offensive impact.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
MJJ is now perm banned(not by me before anyone asks me the reason) so @Moby can decide what to do.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
banned for not updating the lists! will be missed though :(

GodShaveTheQueen

MJJ is now perm banned(not by me before anyone asks me the reason) so @Moby can decide what to do.
Jesus, whoever banned him could have just thread banned him from that Kashmir thread. I'd assume the mods would be a bit more lenient with a guy with 30k posts.

Is there a petition the drafting committee can sign to reconsider the perm? (Not joking)

@Invictus

harms

Staff
Jesus, whoever banned him could have just thread banned him from that Kashmir thread. I'd assume the mods would be a bit more lenient with a guy with 30k posts.

Is there a petition the drafting committee can sign to reconsider the perm? (Not joking)

@Invictus
The petition won't work. He wasn't banned just for the Kashmir thread.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
As @harms pointed out: the ban, while unfortunate, will not be rescinded. MJJ wasn't nuked out of orbit by the admins on a whim or because of isolated incidents that rubbed folks the wrong way...but after repeated forewarnings and a lot of deliberation (and accruing 26 warning points when the usual cutoff is 15 warning points), so we have got to respect their decision instead of co-signing unavailing petitions. The same set of rules apply to all Redcafe posters, and special plea agreements will not be made for Draft managers or the “committee”. Time to move on...

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Tbf, Lebron > Jordan opinion should lead to the ban in itself.

On the other side, that's all I have against him and I feel this is a direct attack on our little community which was a "giver" not a "taker" in general sense.

Hik... I feel am the next. Remember me for the good times.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Draft community is slowly thinning out

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The petition won't work. He wasn't banned just for the Kashmir thread.
Checked his recent posts, don't see why he should be banned for his other posts, whoever banned him did it for the Kashmir thread. Like @GodShaveTheQueen said he should have just been thread banned to resolve the issue.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Ok, I'll be serious. I liked the guy (usually voted for me which shows his good taste)

On the other hand, pretty sure that the decision wasn't made in a second and after lots of thinking. You don't ban someone just like that after all these years. We should just move on.
We'll be missed. Was definitely my kind of cnut all together.

harms

Staff
Checked his recent posts, don't see why he should be banned for his other posts, whoever banned him did it for the Kashmir thread. Like @GodShaveTheQueen said he should have just been thread banned to resolve the issue.
This issue goes years back, checking a few posts won’t give you the whole picture (which also includes PMs). The decision wasn’t spontaneous and he was given plenty of warnings beforehand, so there’s nothing to discuss here.

I have nothing against him and I’m sad to see him go, but I can’t honestly argue against this decision.