Film Roadhouse Remake (Amazon Prime)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Became aware this movie existed after seeing Casey Neistats video about the director, it looks fecking dreadful and mcgregor is a cnut.

TheGame

That's not coke at a guess i would say he may be withdrawing or coming down from something.

As for Gyllenhall he is well known for being a huge jerk in real life and on set so i doubt he has much of a choice in any roles he gets these days.
Not heard any stories about Jake Gyllenhall on set or in real life? Have you got any examples?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
That's not coke at a guess i would say he may be withdrawing or coming down from something.

As for Gyllenhall he is well known for being a huge jerk in real life and on set so i doubt he has much of a choice in any roles he gets these days.
Erm what?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
no way am I watching it. Mc Gregor is a massive piece of shit. Not sure what Gyllenhall is smoking lately, his roles have been terrible. Felt like up until a few years ago you were always guaranteed a decent film with him.

lsd

The Oracle
Not heard any stories about Jake Gyllenhall on set or in real life? Have you got any examples?

Nope i totally mixed him up with Tobey Maguire :lol: did they both do Spiderman or was that just Tobey? Sorry my bad on Jake

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Nope i totally mixed him up with Tobey Maguire :lol: did they both do Spiderman or was that just Tobey? Sorry my bad on Jake
Jake was in the running to do Spiderman but Toney got it and he and Kirsten Dunst had massive falling out on that set during the 3 films.

Tobey and Jake worked together in a decent film called Brothers. Then Jake played Mysterio in one of the Tom Holland Spiderman movies

Don't think I've heard much trouble about Jake on film sets.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ok, so it's not great. But let's not pretend that the original was much better. I'm being serious. The original was fecking shite as well.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just watched it thanks to this thread. Awful. McGregor is so bad. Also, this is the only time he doesn't instantly tap out to a submission.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I saw Jake Gyllenhall at a grocery store in Los Angeles once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Wing Attack Plan R

I saw Jake Gyllenhall at a grocery store in Los Angeles once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Sounds about right. Was this at the Gelson’s in Westwood?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

I thought this was originally a story about Prince Harry??

I saw Prince Harry at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

Saw this on reddit

and also here
https://www.datalounge.com/thread/32647986-stories-of-celebs-who-are-nasty-cnuts

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The way they introduced Connors character really gave me Bullseye vibes from the classic Daredevil film. "Let's have the baddie call up an Irish lunatic to come in and cause havoc".

Daredevil did it better to though.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

I didn't know about Gyllenhaal and I was gonna ask you about more details but I see that's been cleared up in the following page!
The way they introduced Connors character really gave me Bullseye vibes from the classic Daredevil film. "Let's have the baddie call up an Irish lunatic to come in and cause havoc".

Daredevil did it better to though.

I've never seen it but I'm so glad you posted this clip. I'm happy I watched it.

whitbyviking

Absolutely terrible. It was kinda ok until McGregor turns up. He was like a cartoon character of himself. Watched The Beekeeper today and that’s equally ridiculous.
Can't bring myself to watch anything with McGregor in, he's just a parody now.

Saw the Beekeeper too, the constant narrative over the top of the film about bees somehow made it more ludicrous than the actual storyline itself, which was already extremely daft.

padzilla

Hipster
This film is utterly awful. McGregor gives a panto performance, beyond bad, but other than him there's literally nothing to talk about.

It's so underwhelming and dull.

arthurka

Sorry but what's with McGregor's shoulder twitch in this interview? Dear lord he is fried up

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I'm starting to despise with venom this "banter" that finds it's way into so many modern scripts. It's mostly just bland self awareness that stopped being original and fresh a long time ago, perhaps if it had some sharpness to it you could forgive it but none of that to be found here.

The initial Roadhouse is a cult hit because it commits a ridiculous concept to a serious tone. This is why remakes like this are shit and pointless. They take away the rather bizarre charm of a ludicrous story played 100% straight and replace it with "look how self aware we are that what we're doing is silly!"

Urgh.

Wing Attack Plan R

I'm starting to despise with venom this "banter" that finds it's way into so many modern scripts. It's mostly just bland self awareness that stopped being original and fresh a long time ago, perhaps if it had some sharpness to it you could forgive it but none of that to be found here.

The initial Roadhouse is a cult hit because it commits a ridiculous concept to a serious tone. This is why remakes like this are shit and pointless. They take away the rather bizarre charm of a ludicrous story played 100% straight and replace it with "look how self aware we are that what we're doing is silly!"

Urgh.
The Ryan Reynolds-ification of movie dialogue.

Herman Toothrot

Urgh.
Yes, the motivation for many modern remakes is, 'how about like the original but modern and with quips'. It's one of the reasons I don't get on with all new Star Trek.

I watched this and the original back-to-back and, while I'd probably only give the original a six out of ten, I know it's something I'll come back to. It's a classic of a genre.

This new one is nothing. Sometimes it's about how hard the punches hit, but then it's about CG ragdolling characters across the screen. The tone is just off and the Deadpool of it all doesn't work.

Connor McGregor is dreadful. He comes in half way and absolutely stinks the place out, he's the exact reverse of Sam Elliott in the original.

Also, the main bad guy, I couldn't tell you his name or who the actor is, was terrible. All this was about a holiday resort? This is insane. I much preferred Jackie Treehorn just being an arsehole in the 80s version.

Anyway, he got on a bus at the end, so I'm pretty sure they'll be another. Fair play to Jake Gyllenhaal, looked the part and he has the charisma.

Wing Attack Plan R

Yes, the motivation for many modern remakes is, 'how about like the original but modern and with quips'. It's one of the reasons I don't get on with all new Star Trek.

I watched this and the original back-to-back and, while I'd probably only give the original a six out of ten, I know it's something I'll come back to. It's a classic of a genre.

This new one is nothing. Sometimes it's about how hard the punches hit, but then it's about CG ragdolling characters across the screen. The tone is just off and the Deadpool of it all doesn't work.

Connor McGregor is dreadful. He comes in half way and absolutely stinks the place out, he's the exact reverse of Sam Elliott in the original.

Also, the main bad guy, I couldn't tell you his name or who the actor is, was terrible. All this was about a holiday resort? This is insane. I much preferred Jackie Treehorn just being an arsehole in the 80s version.

Anyway, he got on a bus at the end, so I'm pretty sure they'll be another. Fair play to Jake Gyllenhaal, looked the part and he has the charisma.
An endless sea of reasons to hate the new Star Treks.

Superunknown

I never really understand the point of remaking or redoing films that already have a cult status. They're films that are already well loved and well known. Surely it's much better to take a film that didn't work or didn't fully expand on its promise and make those better. It would be utterly pointless to redo a film like E.T. for example. It's a classic, it's iconic, it's got all of the right elements to be memorable and loved. There's no way to top it. Part of the charm with films from a bygone era is that they were products of their time, and watching them is like looking through a window into the past.

What moviegoers are looking for isn't Roadhouse redone in the latest definition or with the current stars of today. They're looking for films to give us the same feeling that films such as Roadhouse gave us back when we watched them. That's the thing that these remakes seem to miss out on. It's part of the reason why Strangers Things, for example, became such a big hit. It was a new, fresh idea, but it evoked the same sorts of feelings that people would have watching those old 70s and 80s classics like E.T, Close Encounters, Stand By Me, etc.

Bobade

What moviegoers are looking for isn't Roadhouse redone in the latest definition or with the current stars of today. They're looking for films to give us the same feeling that films such as Roadhouse gave us back when we watched them. That's the thing that these remakes seem to miss out on.
This bit is absolutely spot on. It's just far easier to take something that was popular and rebadge it and tart it up. But its invariably wank.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

There are notable exceptions to this, eg the Robocop and Total Recall remakes, which took out all of the one-liners and satirical edge, turning them into po-faced, pedestrian retreads.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Great movie, one for the Oscars. Criminally underrated here, a tour de force from McGregor, start to finish.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
There are notable exceptions to this, eg the Robocop and Total Recall remakes, which took out all of the one-liners and satirical edge, turning them into po-faced, pedestrian retreads.
I dont quite agree with Total Recall. I thought the new version stood on its own pretty well. The Robocop remake though was even worse than I remembered - just re watched it again the other week and I want my time back.

Wing Attack Plan R

I dont quite agree with Total Recall. I thought the new version stood on its own pretty well. The Robocop remake though was even worse than I remembered - just re watched it again the other week and I want my time back.
Total Recall was a weird one because the tone was completely different to the source story, and they added a bunch of plot details that now are “part” of that story. The remake is closer to the story but as mentioned up above, people want the same feeling they had when watching the original. The VFX needed updating, and Arnie was the wrong choice as star, and the plot is hackneyed, but it was silly fun. It was funny and action without being self referential. Every time they’ve made a movie from a PKD story they have made a hash of it, even though Blade Runner is an all time classic. PKD has another 200 stories, they should make a movie from the ones that haven’t been on screen already.

His sister is an arse so wouldn't be totally surprising. Never met or heard anything about him though.

Anyway, the film is shite. He's the only decent thing about it. The story is weird and Conor simply can't act. What was with the walk?

TheGame

His sister is an arse so wouldn't be totally surprising. Never met or heard anything about him though.

Anyway, the film is shite. He's the only decent thing about it. The story is weird and Conor simply can't act. What was with the walk?
Is that Maggie? Again not heard any stories about her either.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Just watched it thanks to this thread. Awful. McGregor is so bad. Also, this is the only time he doesn't instantly tap out to a submission.
It would have been an ok d grade if it hadnt been for mcGregor. Thats probably one of the worst ever acting performances I have ever seen. He was fecking horrendous