Robson: Daniel James unfazed by 'rough treatment' as Man Utd winger vows not to be bullied

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

lsd

The Oracle
Due to his speed he is going to get caught a lot and draw a lot of fouls by getting to the ball first

He came in for some rough treatment by Spurs who were clearly frightened by his pace , hopefully he can take it and come out on top I love his attitude so far

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ronaldo adopted a similar attitude to the 'rough treatment' he received and look what became of him.

Just saying.

3KDré

If we added Maguire to the team, and assuming he and Andreas start too, we could finally see us scoring a few more goals in set pieces.

Davicho

If we added Maguire to the team, and assuming he and Andreas start too, we could finally see us scoring a few more goals in set pieces.
Really do you think James and Andreas both will be in the starting XI this season? If so we are competing for top 8 instead of top 4.

3KDré

Really do you think James and Andreas both will be in the starting XI this season? If so we are competing for top 8 instead of top 4.
Probably. Andreas almost definitely given the alternatives are Fred, Matic, Mata or an 18 year old Gomes. I think Martial is a better striker than Rashford and Rashford is not a left winger so James might get the nod over him.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
There's an air of Michael Owen about him. They look similar. Boyish looks, quick, short but good physique.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Totally believe this lad is going to go on and be a big fan favourite.
He’ll certainly be a fan favourite. Fans are typically endeared to hard working runners. The doubt is whether he’ll make the step to become a top player. I am confident in him personally. If he doesn’t become a top player it will be solely because he doesn’t have it in him to be one. His willingness to get there is undoubted to me, so I think he’ll go very far and make the most of his ability.

Beaucoup

Due to his tendency to run in a straight line, he’s going to be easy to stop by checking his run or hacking him down, it’s alright getting lots of free kicks but I would prefer a Manchester United winger to actually beat his opponent with flair and technical ability, alas, I don’t think he has either.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Due to his tendency to run in a straight line, he’s going to be easy to stop by checking his run or hacking him down, it’s alright getting lots of free kicks but I would prefer a Manchester United winger to actually beat his opponent with flair and technical ability, alas, I don’t think he has either.
Yea I agree, I think there has maybe been a little over excitement with the whole ‘he will win lots of free-kicks’ thing - that’s not really the aim is it. That said, I do think he will eventually become a lot more than that. Can see him being a good goalscorer in time.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Good lad. Getting fouled is part and parcel of being fast, if they can't stop you fairly the opposition will drag you back and kick you about.

OleGunnar20

I'd say better personally. Can see him eventually hitting Ronaldo numbers but with much better dribbling ability to boot ala Johan Cruyff.
Don't forget the defensive ability of a prime Baresi.

In all seriousness, love the guys attitude. Think he'll be a success here.

Marcus

United needs to start perfecting set pieces. He is going to get us lots of freekicks.

Charlie Foley

Good luck to him. Seems to have a good attitude.

His pace is frightening, he really troubled City in the cup last year if I recall correctly.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Keep living in Lala Land. What Manchester United winter have you been watching that doesn't run in a straight line for the past 20 years?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You having a laugh?
Not at all. You're being very silly with the flair and technical ability quote. It means nothing. Just words thrown around here, maybe good enough for Fifa and youtube compilations, but rarely effective in real football with real results. Ronaldo, Bale, all the top wingers are about impact and accuracy. They also have plenty of ability to do other things.

Greck

Not at all. You're being very silly with the flair and technical ability quote. It means nothing. Just words thrown around here, maybe good enough for Fifa and youtube compilations, but rarely effective in real football with real results. Ronaldo, Bale, all the top wingers are about impact and accuracy. They also have plenty of ability to do other things.
Technical ability is a buzzword that's rarely useful in real football? Come on. You didn't just say that

Beaucoup

Ronaldo and Bale probably aren’t the best examples to prove your point.

Good attitude. It's been a long time since we had someone as quick off the mark as him, he is going to cause a lot of trouble for opposition defenders.

His dribbling isn't a big issue, hes got the pace to negate that, its whether he will be able to produce a good enough end product. The days of the mazy dribblers are over anyway, it's all about pace and directness now.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Forget Ronaldo. I want this guy to be like Giggs. Giggs didn’t have the flicks and fancy foot work. He had pace and a different dribbling style to many which made it so hard for defenders. I want him to model his game on Ryan. Ronaldo was too fancy and whilst incredible I feel if James kept it simple and worked on that he would be more difficult to predict. Look at Ronaldo maturing. He cut out the step overs and trying to beat a man before thinking about end product. We need end product and Ronaldo started to get that when he cut out the Ballerina stuff. Just my opinion before you come for me.

SirAF

Ageist
Keep living in Lala Land. What Manchester United winter have you been watching that doesn't run in a straight line for the past 20 years?

To be fair, Giggs had plenty of flair and technical ability.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Technical ability is a buzzword that's rarely useful in real football? Come on. You didn't just say that
On Redcafe it is. It's a completely nebulous term used here that ends up meaning nothing because of how much people use it. You'd ask people what it really means and they wouldn't be able to define it. It's just basic dribbling and trapping the ball. Most pros have it at this level.

Icemav

On Redcafe it is. It's a completely nebulous term used here that ends up meaning nothing because of how much people use it. You'd ask people what it really means and they wouldn't be able to define it. It's just basic dribbling and trapping the ball. Most pros have it at this level.
You make somewhat of a good point because it is overused for tidy looking continental players. However the intention is to describe a player who has mastered the fundamental skills and technical aspects of a position and ultimately display advanced technique and creativity. For instance Lukaku's poor hold up play would suggest he has not despite his other strengths.

For a winger it means ability to have good close control at different speeds, knock it past a player, beat a man with trickery, play one twos, occupy defenders attention and play in teammates, good crosser and can take it to the byline or cut inside, and good finishing ability. Not to mention other skills like off the ball movement.

Last edited:

Greck

To be fair they probably can't define it because it's one of those terms that finds more meaning in it's usage than its definition. Same way many people may not be able to find the words to define 'talk'. On topic it's used to describe footballing talent or ability independent of physical ability (don't nitpick the definition, just go along with it :)).Hence a guy like Mata or Silva is high on that spectrum whereas a guy like Lukaku will be low. Players like Pogba or Ronaldo will rank high on both so it's not one or the other. Technical ability is increasingly important in the modern game because the skills needed to navigate tight corridors and pressure situations. You probably know it but think of it in another term not tagged 'technical ability'.

Last edited:

Icemav

To be fair they probably can't define it because it's one of those terms that finds more meaning in it's usage than its definition. Same way many people may not be able to find the words to define 'talk'. On topic it's used to describe footballing talent or ability independent of physical ability (don't nitpick the definition, just go along with it :)).Hence a guy like Mata or Silva is high on that spectrum whereas a guy like Lukaku will be low. Players like Pogba or Ronaldo will rank high on both so it's not one or the other. Technical ability is increasingly important in the modern game because the skills needed to navigate tight corridors and pressure situations. You probably know it but think of it in another term not tagged 'technical ability'.
Great answer. Though I believe it important whatever the era.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You make somewhat of a good point because it is overused for tidy looking continental players. However the intention is to describe a player who has mastered the fundamental skills and technical aspects of a position and ultimately display advanced technique and creativity. For instance Lukaku's poor hold up play would suggest he has not despite his other strengths.

For a winger it means ability to have good close control at different speeds, knock it past a player, beat a man with trickery, play one twos, occupy defenders attention and play in teammates, good crosser and can take it to the byline or cut inside, and good finishing ability. Not to mention other skills like off the ball movement.

On Redcafe, this is what most posters think of when they mention it. They forget the fundamentals, think mostly of the flashy stuff. This is why no-nonsense players are not rated highly. I don't mind very talented individuals, Neymar being one of them, but can't help but feel that when someone thinks running in a straight line to beat a defender is of lesser value than pushing the ball through their legs and losing it afterwards.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

The feck.. I knew Giggs was fast but that video is something else. He'd catch a cheetah runnning like that.