Music Rolling Stones: top 3 songs

simplyared

Saw them in Stockholm last autumn 2017. So that's off my bucket list. Couldn't believe how good they were. The song they kicked off with happens to be my personal favourite. Just the lyrics!
My choice in order:

1. Sympathy for the Devil
2. Wild Horses
3. Tumbling Dice

C'mon guys!
Maybe someone could start a poll so we could see how we end up?

Last edited:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Tough choice but I'd go with:

Gimme Shelter
Sympathy for the devil
Brown Sugar

In no set order

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Paint It Black
Under My Thumb
Brown Sugar
Miss You
The Last Time
Brown Sugar
Gimme Shelter

Can't pick 3, although Paint It Black and Under My Thumb are top 2

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Paint It Black
Under My Thumb
Brown Sugar
Miss You
The Last Time
Brown Sugar
Gimme Shelter

Can't pick 3, although Paint It Black and Under My Thumb are top 2
I do love Under My Thumb but... those lyrics haven't aged well. Less 'me too' and more 'quiet you'.

Edit

Says the guy who chose Brown Sugar :wenger:

spwd

1. Sympathy for the Devil
2. Paint It Black
3. You Can’t always get what you want.

Ainu

1. Gimme Shelter
2. Sympathy for the Devil
3. Wild Horses

Popular choices, I know. But then they're popular for a reason.

Pagh Wraith

Saw them in Stockholm last autumn 2017. So that's off my bucket list. Couldn't believe how good they were.
Really? Saw them in Prague last month and they were really... not good. It was a nice experience and now that's off my bucket list as well. But even during the concert I was bored at times and thought to myself they really ought to retire after this. Many songs were played noticeably slower, Jagger's singing was terrible and while they were all having a good time and jumping around on stage (Jagger in particular) they was a lot of energy missing from the songs.

1. Street Fighting Man
2. Sympathy For the Devil
3. Paint It Black

Btw: Check out this epic cover version of Paint it Black by Czech singer Karel Gott (in German):

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Gimme Shelter has to be in there

Probably Paint it Black and Sympathy for the Devil but I also love Tumbling Dice, Angie, Wild Horses, etc.

simplyared

Really? Saw them in Prague last month and they were really... not good. It was a nice experience and now that's off my bucket list as well. But even during the concert I was bored at times and thought to myself they really ought to retire after this. Many songs were played noticeably slower, Jagger's singing was terrible and while they were all having a good time and jumping around on stage (Jagger in particular) they was a lot of energy missing from the songs.

1. Street Fighting Man
3. Paint It Black

Btw: Check out this epic cover version of Paint it Black by Czech singer Karel Gott (in German):
Prefer the Stone's version tbh.
Sorry to hear you were dissappointed when you saw them perform. Either I'm easier intertained or they were outright better in Stockholm. For example when they did Tumbling Dice sent shivers down my spine. Unbelievable! And Jagger just defies the laws of science. Still a brilliant showman. And those moves at the age 70+ were still in place.

Revaulx

1. Complicated (Jagger displaying unexpected tenderness and humility)

2. 2000 Light Years from Home (who said they couldn't do psychedelic?)

3. Cool Calm & Collected (hilarious lyrics; Brian Jones going mental on a dulcimer)

Between the Buttons is a grievously neglected album. Let It Bleed is probably my favourite, but none of the songs on it stand out in the way these three do.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
1. Gimme Shelter
2. Sympathy for the Devil
3. Wild Horses

Popular choices, I know. But then they're popular for a reason.
Hard to argue with that. GS is a work of genius

simplyared

1. Complicated (Jagger displaying unexpected tenderness and humility)

2. 2000 Light Years from Home (who said they couldn't do psychedelic?)

3. Cool Calm & Collected (hilarious lyrics; Brian Jones going mental on a dulcimer)

Between the Buttons is a grievously neglected album. Let It Bleed is probably my favourite, but none of the songs on it stand out in the way these three do.
Nice post! You sound like sound like a real Stones nerd. Thinking of the Brian Jones era, I would definately have "Time is on my side" up there. Surprised it hasn't had a mention.

Green_Red

Gimme Shelter
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar

"I was raised by a toothless bearded hag,
I was schooled with a strap right across my back,
But its alright now, in fact its a gas"

Absolute classic that

Revaulx

Nice post! You sound like sound like a real Stones nerd. Thinking of the Brian Jones era, I would definately have "Time is on my side" up there. Surprised it hasn't had a mention.
Ha!

I grew up watching them on Top of the Pops, reading about their supposedly outrageous behaviour, and dancing to Brown Sugar at early teen parties. The first album I bought was Goat’s Head Soup, which I was massively disappointed with. I still think it’s crap, along with the vast majority of stuff that’s followed it. In order to get over my disappointment I delved into the earlier stuff.

Time is on my Side is a classic. As is pretty much everything up to and including Exile on Main Street

simplyared

Gimme Shelter
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar

"I was raised by a toothless bearded hag,
I was schooled with a strap right across my back,
But its alright now, in fact its a gas"

Absolute classic that
I shouted out
Who killed the Kennedys
When after all
It was you and me

Another classic!

Kearnkoff69

Honestly any 3 songs off Exile on Main Street would do. Gimme Shelter is an all-time classic, but just to be slightly contrarian:

1. Sweet Virginia
2. Ventilator Blues
3. Bitch

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I saw them last month in Warsaw. Absolutely incredible stuff. So difficult to choose just three. I will go with

1. Gimme Shelter
2. Miss You
3. Tumbling Dice

Sarni

1. Street Fighting Man
3. Paint It Black

I saw them four days after you and I thought they were excellent, maybe that's partly because I did not expect them to perform as if they were 30 or 40 and I was actually surprised how energetic that performance was for 4 guys all well over 70.

Pagh Wraith

I saw them four days after you and I thought they were excellent, maybe that's partly because I did not expect them to perform as if they were 30 or 40 and I was actually surprised how energetic that performance was for 4 guys all well over 70.
That might be part of it. To be honest I'm not the biggest Stones fan so I don't know how recent concerts would compare to 10 or 20 years ago. Mind you, I'm not complaining too much. It was a nice night out and tickets were 19€ :)

I was annoyed during Paint It Black though:

It's so slow!

Sarni

That might be part of it. To be honest I'm not the biggest Stones fan so I don't know how recent concerts would compare to 10 or 20 years ago. Mind you, I'm not complaining too much. It was a nice night out and tickets were 19€ :)

It's so slow!
I paid €500 for two :lol: But they have been my favorite band for a while.

Pagh Wraith

I paid €500 for two :lol: But they have been my favorite band for a while.
Wow! Lidl Holidays (yes the supermarket) were selling them online for 19 including a guided city tour of Prague. We thought it must be fake but it wasn't. Had to go to a hotel in the centre to pick up the tickets and then went to the gig with my mate. Still can't quite believe it. In hindsight I could have made a fortune buying more tickets and re-selling them at the gig for like 50. :lol:

Sarni

Wow! Lidl Holidays (yes the supermarket) were selling them online for 19 including a guided city tour of Prague. We thought it must be fake but it wasn't. Had to go to a hotel in the centre to pick up the tickets and then went to the gig with my mate. Still can't quite believe it. In hindsight I could have made a fortune buying more tickets and re-selling them at the gig for like 50. :lol:
Wow, if I knew I would have gone to Prague instead of Warsaw which is not actually that much further.

simplyared

It's so slow!
That was a very tired version. Too far from the original. They were better than that in Stockholm. They did Tumbling Dice and it blew me away.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
She’s A Rainbow
You Can’t Alway Get What You Want
Thru And Thru

Changes all the time, though.