Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Ok, you clearly have no idea how baseball teams work if you think he is spearheading recruitment or setting the starting lineup.

He isn’t the majority owner (his former partner Walter is) and, in any case, the owners have hired top executives (Friedman and Kasten most importantly) to run the team at both major and minor league levels. The manager is then going to make decisions on a game by game basis, such as who goes in the starting lineup.

Not to say Boehly hasn’t been involved but it’s a group effort and he has played a limited role.
I never said he selects the stating lineup. The manager does not bring in the players to the team. Boehly is a big part of acquiring the talent. As far as my knowledge of baseball, I was one of the starting pitchers in high school and college and played on the base teams in the Air Force until my mid 30s. I am slightly familiar.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They’ll spend of course. The point I’m making is it won’t be run as it was under RA. Daft to think it will be.
It doesn't have to be though. The Boehly group are starting from a total different place than Roman. They don't need to front load like Roman did, they have much higher sellable assets than Roman did at the start, & they've already proven to be very adept at player trading.

Theres no way this group is going to come in, have a quiet summer knowing that 2 senior defenders are already leaving & knowing that Utd will invest under a new, very good manager, Spurs will invest with a top class manager, & Arsenal will invest, and Newcastle will likely invest more than them all, and risk putting top 4 on the line in their first season through lack of investment.

TheReligion

Abusive
It doesn't have to be though. The Boehly group are starting from a total different place than Roman. They don't need to front load like Roman did, they have much higher sellable assets than Roman did at the start, & they've already proven to be very adept at player trading.

Theres no way this group is going to come in, have a quiet summer knowing that 2 senior defenders are already leaving & knowing that Utd will invest under a new, very good manager, Spurs will invest with a top class manager, & Arsenal will invest, and Newcastle will likely invest more than them all, and risk putting top 4 on the line in their first season through lack of investment.
I think you miss the point. No one is saying they won’t spend money but they will operate differently considering how much debt RA placed in his name to help the club continually function and compete. It won’t be the same.

choccy77

You do realise renovation of the training facilities, stadium, development of the youths and women's team are included in that 1.5 billion debt?

And according to FFP, those are not factored into the calculations.
The rich always find ways to avoid no matter what... thats why they have all these loopholes haha

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I never said he selects the stating lineup. The manager does not bring in the players to the team. Boehly is a big part of acquiring the talent. As far as my knowledge of baseball, I was one of the starting pitchers in high school and college and played on the base teams in the Air Force until my mid 30s. I am slightly familiar.
Sorry if I misunderstood your post. I just figured you were English and not very familiar with baseball.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Learned everything about being a Chelsea fan today.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
He needs to spend a fair bit before even making improvements tbf given who is leaving and the under performing Werner, Lukaku conundrum.
He does, and I think he will try to sign a few marque players, to complete the replacement of players, we will need to sell some players.

romufc

It depends how quickly they can get the sale through. They really need to get it done by June.

Theyll need to scout and negotiate with players, they need 2 new CB's at least

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It depends how quickly they can get the sale through. They really need to get it done by June.

Theyll need to scout and negotiate with players, they need 2 new CB's at least
The complicated portions of the sale is already complete. I'd say the govt and the PL will both have completed their processes in about 10 days.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He needs to spend a fair bit before even making improvements tbf given who is leaving and the under performing Werner, Lukaku conundrum.
Not necessarily. Signing Kounde could potentially replace and improve on AC in one move. Could do the same with Azpi. A bit trickier with Rudiger.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The complicated portions of the sale is already complete. I'd say the govt and the PL will both have completed their processes in about 10 days.
Plus the likelihood is the premier league have already vetted them and theyll breeze through that

Supports
Chelsea
I think its impossible to replace Rudiger like for like anyway. Anyone we bring in will be a downgrade. I just wish we had a buyback on Tomori he'd probably be the best possible replacement.

TheReligion

Abusive
Has no one told him that the Caf has already said there wont be a big spend this window?
You don’t seem to understand the difference between spending money and writing off millions of debt.

The point is an obvious one; the club won’t operate how it did under Roman. Unless you think the new owners will spend freely, write off club debts without the need to operate like a business and pay no attention to the age old issue of the bridge.

They will obviously spend money. They have to given the out goings and the issues with the forwards. They will need to sell though and they will need to operate properly for the first time in 20 years.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You don’t seem to understand the difference between spending money and writing off millions of debt.

The point is an obvious one; the club won’t operate how it did under Roman. Unless you think the new owners will spend freely, write off club debts without the need to operate like a business and pay no attention to the age old issue of the bridge.

They will obviously spend money. They have to given the out goings and the issues with the forwards. They will need to sell though and they will need to operate properly for the first time in 20 years.
Im not saying you in particular, I get your point. However, it's been posted a lot on here that Chelsea won't spend much, even a couple of Chelsea fans were predicting a quiet summer. I just couldn't see it, with the players they need to replace, & the new owners looking to make an impression.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Im not saying you in particular, I get your point. However, it's been posted a lot on here that Chelsea won't spend much, even a couple of Chelsea fans were predicting a quiet summer. I just couldn't see it, with the players they need to replace, & the new owners looking to make an impression.
Hopeful that will happen. It is true the way we do business will change. No more buying a big name player and then hoping we sell players after. We will become a sell first team, which takes away a lot of leverage. It will have to be run more in line with a business than a billionaires hobby. I can see transfer windows where Boehly wants a player so he goes out hard to get him, his group will do that with the Dodgers, but it will probably be the exception and no longer a whim.

Supports
Chelsea
Hopeful that will happen. It is true the way we do business will change. No more buying a big name player and then hoping we sell players after. We will become a sell first team, which takes away a lot of leverage. It will have to be run more in line with a business than a billionaires hobby. I can see transfer windows where Boehly wants a player so he goes out hard to get him, his group will do that with the Dodgers, but it will probably be the exception and no longer a whim.
We've already slowly started to move in this direction of sell first before we buy. Last summer when we bought Lukaku there were plenty of rumours of Tuchel wanting another winger, but it wouldn't be possible without moving on one of our current ones. The same situation in January at left back when the club didn't want 4 senior left backs on the payroll (Chilwell, Alonso, Emerson, New Signing).

If it were the Chelsea of old, we would've signed these players anyway regardless of who we had. Like when we went out and nicked Willian from Spurs despite already having an abundance of wingers/attacking midfielders.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We've already slowly started to move in this direction of sell first before we buy. Last summer when we bought Lukaku there were plenty of rumours of Tuchel wanting another winger, but it wouldn't be possible without moving on one of our current ones. The same situation in January at left back when the club didn't want 4 senior left backs on the payroll (Chilwell, Alonso, Emerson, New Signing).

If it were the Chelsea of old, we would've signed these players anyway regardless of who we had. Like when we went out and nicked Willian from Spurs despite already having an abundance of wingers/attacking midfielders.
True. Its why our net spend is relatively low in the last 5-7 years.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
True. Its why our net spend is relatively low in the last 5-7 years.
We were like that since Jose mark 2.Sold players made money and brought in new players from Costa, Fabregas,matic to Lukaku. We sold players worth 700 mn and brought in players worth 800 mn in that period. For 8 year period 100 mn is not much.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

For once you have a point. The accounts need to be reviewed and fixed but I don’t believe it’ll affect transfers as much as you think. We mitigate a lot with loans and sales. It’ll also likely be a long term fix and we won’t see something drastic this summer.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
For once you have a point. The accounts need to be reviewed and fixed but I don’t believe it’ll affect transfers as much as you think. We mitigate a lot with loans and sales. It’ll also likely be a long term fix and we won’t see something drastic this summer.
This summer spending wise? i think we will.

Going forward perhaps not to the same extent, but certainly this upcoming window

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
The new owners would have to be willing to take huge losses on Lukaku and Werner. Will they fancy that? I’m not sure.
People get hung up on this. The value of the player reduces year on year it’s the amortised value that is key when a player just needs to be gone. For instance if RL cost a £100 million then after a year after him signing a 5 year deal will only be valued at £80 million.

Without knowing all the ins and outs of the deal it’s likely that portion of his fee is by way of add one so that confuses matters even further.

Of course Chelsea will be looking to recover as much as they can should they sale RL or TW for instance but it probably is more about minimising future good money thrown at the player.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Dunno about that. History has shown that PL vetting is a really, reaaaaally heavy process.
It actually isn’t the Newcastle ownership issue was complicated for a variety of reasons but the tests are reasonably easy and as Richard Masters mentioned a week or two ago that ten days is a realistic target and to be fair we have no idea when the PL started this work.
For me it seems that the current directors save one will remain in place so they will only at this stage be looking at the investors and even then only those who will acquire 10% or over of the shares.
Directors can be added as required and from everything I read the non executive directors don’t undergo the same checks

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea

TT apparently wants to achieve a revolution as opposed to evolution.

I take that to mean that several established players will be off and by that I don’t just expect to see Rudiger, Christensen, Alonso and possibly Dave leaving.I think we will also see Kante, Jorginho and Barkly shipped out and up front Lukaku and Werner to be shown the door.

Some of the berths could potentially could be filled by players like Gallagher, Colwill, Mattensen, Broja, Sterling , Emerson returning but there will be a couple of free transfers added to a couple of biggish spends arriving.

I don’t think for one second that any rebuild will have been planned because of RAs departure it will have been the subject of elongated discussions which will have been going on for months.

As for the restrictions currently in place the new owners can undertake discussions and as is the norm clubs can’t get involved with discussions with contracted players unless the players current club gives permission yet they go on all the time through third party individuals

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
It’s going to take a few windows to settle into the new era. Shuffling out some big names and deadwood and replacing with fresh blood. I wouldn’t mind losing one of Jorgi or Kante at this stage and replacing with Gallagher and Another if possible. CB is obviously a priority so I think Kounde will get done along with another, we’ll then have to replace Silva next summer too. Up front we have 7 players for 3 slots, bring Broja back and that’s 8. We have to sell to spend and we could raise serious money from this area.

In summary bring the best kids in including Gallagher and Colwill, sell a couple of valuable players and then use the funds and saved wages to reinvest. It’s going to evolve over several windows

commercially I think we’ll grow fairly quickly with a new shirt deal to replace three and some new sponsors elsewhere. Stadium is obviously a priority

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
It’s going to take a few windows to settle into the new era. Shuffling out some big names and deadwood and replacing with fresh blood. I wouldn’t mind losing one of Jorgi or Kante at this stage and replacing with Gallagher and Another if possible. CB is obviously a priority so I think Kounde will get done along with another, we’ll then have to replace Silva next summer too. Up front we have 7 players for 3 slots, bring Broja back and that’s 8. We have to sell to spend and we could raise serious money from this area.

In summary bring the best kids in including Gallagher and Colwill, sell a couple of valuable players and then use the funds and saved wages to reinvest. It’s going to evolve over several windows

commercially I think we’ll grow fairly quickly with a new shirt deal to replace three and some new sponsors elsewhere. Stadium is obviously a priority
Players contract situation and age will determine more than a couple of players home come 22/23.

Both Jorginho and Kantes contracts are up at the end of 22/23 and both being over 30 already I just can’t see them getting brand new lucrative long term deals that in effect for me meant the will almost certainly be allowed to leave if decent money is offered and by that I mean circa £25-£30 million for Jorginho and £49-50 million for Kante.

In the case of Berkley any offer close to £10 million would be more than enough. Ok ok £1.75 should be enough!

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Players contract situation and age will determine more than a couple of players home come 22/23.

Both Jorginho and Kantes contracts are up at the end of 22/23 and both being over 30 already I just can’t see them getting brand new lucrative long term deals that in effect for me meant the will almost certainly be allowed to leave if decent money is offered and by that I mean circa £25-£30 million for Jorginho and £49-50 million for Kante.

In the case of Berkley any offer close to £10 million would be more than enough. Ok ok £1.75 should be enough!
I think we will see Alonso, Barkley and one of Kante/Jorginho sold. In addition to Rudiger, Christensen and Drinkwater leaving on a free. Then add to that one or two forwards plus Azpi is a debatable one. If Jorgi goes I think we’ll extend Kante a couple of years and vice versa

The bulk of our spending is going to have to be defence based

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think we will see Alonso, Barkley and one of Kante/Jorginho sold. In addition to Rudiger, Christensen and Drinkwater leaving on a free. Then add to that one or two forwards plus Azpi is a debatable one. If Jorgi goes I think we’ll extend Kante a couple of years and vice versa

The bulk of our spending is going to have to be defence based
I agree, and I think it'll be Kante who extends and Jorginho who gets sold. Jorginho has had Juventus sniffing around him for years and I know he's been keen on returning to Italy for years too. The stars haven't aligned before now, as in 1 year left, over 30 years old and Chelsea at a crossroads etc, so I think this is the ideal summer for all parties to part ways.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It actually isn’t the Newcastle ownership issue was complicated for a variety of reasons but the tests are reasonably easy and as Richard Masters mentioned a week or two ago that ten days is a realistic target and to be fair we have no idea when the PL started this work.
For me it seems that the current directors save one will remain in place so they will only at this stage be looking at the investors and even then only those who will acquire 10% or over of the shares.
Directors can be added as required and from everything I read the non executive directors don’t undergo the same checks
I was being ironic. The vetting by the PL is an absolute joke.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure how good their reporting is, but there is someone I know from Talk Chelsea that spoke with Boehly at the last game and Boehly said he would do his utmost to return Chelsea to winning league titles. I guess we will see how much he wants to win?

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
First big commercial increase inbound (signed pre Boehly). New sleeve sponsor to double income from £10m to £20m a season, not insignificant. Apparently we’re also in talks to mutually end our agreement with Three and get a new shirt sponsor. Any improvement on our current deal would be be a big boost

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea
the 'operate properly' thing is sort of true. but we posted a profit in the season before covid. largely because we were selling players and 'operating properly', as Abramovich had always said the goal was - for the club to be self-funding. so i don't think Boehly has a mountain to climb in solving that problem.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

I think it will depend on how successful they are at buying. Personally, I agree that they won't be able to write players and sums like Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Lukaku, Kepa etc off like RA. However, I am not sure they will do this as some of their buys have been truly shocking.

As for the current squad situation, I understand that Lukaku is a €80m liability at the moment, but that liability is a known issue and would've been calculated in their numbers within the bid. So, writing a player like him off or what every sum they have to accept would've mostly been already calculated. Thus, I can see them taking haircuts on players this Summer as I do see them backing Tuchel.

Another factor is that they have committed to spend £1.25BN over the next ten years in investment. Obviously, there is the stadium issue, but from what I know about the Earls Court project, don't be surprised if they swing some sort of deal there which will leave them with the SB site to develop/leverage. I have written about this before, so won't repeat myself, but EC is in desperate need for a anchor tenant to get it off the ground. There is certainly a deal there to be made there that could be very lucrative; especially as the RA stumbling block is gone.

So, yeah, they cannot go around buying so many dud players and writing it off, however I still think they'll be well up there in terms of gross spending.