Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Are Chelsea currently able to sign players from their academy, or is this prohibited as well?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Are Chelsea currently able to sign players from their academy, or is this prohibited as well?
What do you sign players from the academy? As in promote academy players to the first team?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
What do you sign players from the academy? As in promote academy players to the first team?
Precisely that. Don’t they usually receive a new contract, or their first professional contract when that happens?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Precisely that. Don’t they usually receive a new contract, or their first professional contract when that happens?
Nah. At Chelsea they don't really go from the Academy to the first team. They go on loan or into the U23s.

They get contract extensions at various points throughout the process.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah but any academy player that's even remotely close to the first team will already be on a contract, signed a long time ago. It's rare that a young player signs his first pro contract and thrown straight into the first team.

choccy77

If something doesn't change next week.... I can see Chelsea suspending the girls team to allow the mens to carry on running.

Will be difficult with no active bank account or credit cards

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If something doesn't change next week.... I can see Chelsea suspending the girls team to allow the mens to carry on running.

Girls team? If they did suspend the women's academy they'd save just about enough to buy Mendy a pair of gloves.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

No, if they are going to do this they should suck it up and go full nonsense: just shut the whole team down. Team busses getting stuck because they don’t have a credit card for gas? It’s ridiculous, and an unneeded circus. They found no violations from Roman. Boris said so himself. This is literally happening because of the optics around the moron fans in Stamford Bridge singing. There was no issue until the moment that happened. So just full on punish the fans. Use the seized assets to pay off the remaining year of the staff and players and shut it all down.
Then Boris can go back to the Lux place he bought with Russian money given to him by Oleg Deripaska and rest contently knowing he’s a man of true virtue.

Dr. StrangeHate

Reckon he'll have a few million stashed away in a shoe box under his floorboards. I wouldn't worry about him struggling to pay the utility bills let's put it that way
He would have been preparing for this day since he stole the money. All crooks have a back up.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I suspect. This will have ramifications on the long term investment climate in UK.

People will start moving away their asset for fear of being frozen

I personally do not agree freezeing assets of civilians. Abramovich maybe oligarch but his involvement isnt black and white and there's no clear ruling on his misdoing yet, apart from to be fair highly likely. But what's involved, how much, etc are yet to ve ruled by the authority.

Seizing assets just like that never bodes well in my book.

Cutiepatootie

Agreed.

Genuinely made me quite depressed to see how little anyone gave a shit about literal murderers taking over their club because it got them Tripier.

"The beautiful game"
Don't forget City and the murderous UAE regime.

After all the UAE and Saudi are equal partners in their bloody coalition slaughter of innocents in Yemen.
Everytime we rightly call out Newcastle and Saudi we must include City and the UAE too.
They are literally partners in crime in their brutal destruction of Yemen and in their domestic human rights abuses against minorities of race gender sexuality and so on.

Last edited:

Redfrog

if there would be some sense left in football dodgy ownership of clubs like city and newcastle would also get more critisized now. just get rid of them all, even if this would meen a liverpool dominance for some years
Even if you are right, that will never happen.
Have you seen how the leaders of English government were taking the russian money ? Don’t you think fa are doing the same. Just look at FIFA and UEFA. Corruption at his finest.

Redfrog

Isn't it super fecking annoying that manager putting Liverpool back on the perch is actually a good egg?

Cnut can't even be a cnut.
As much as I hate them, now I am starting to think that at least they are a proper club and I would prefer them to surpass us (we will still have a chance to make it up latter) then to see plastic corrupted clubs destroying the sport we love.

Redfrog

I suspect. This will have ramifications on the long term investment climate in UK.

I personally do not agree freezeing assets of civilians. Abramovich maybe oligarch but his involvement isnt black and white and there's no clear ruling on his misdoing yet, apart from to be fair highly likely. But what's involved, how much, etc are yet to ve ruled by the authority.

Civilians making business from wars and other bad bad things… I have no sympathy for the guy. He knew about the invasion and is close to Putin.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

You are correct. This could be devastating for the UK, especially after Brexit. And it actually isn’t “fairly likely”. Roman has been specifically trying to distance himself for decades, there have been a TON of forensic audits. And this was a point that was investigated WHEN he bought the team. This is happening because of the singing incident, and the fact they are “seizing” instead of just “freezing” is something anyone with investment money will and should notice. What if Richard Branson sold all of the Virgin group, moved to Malibu and bought the Lakers… and a twisted hypothetical UK government decided to militarily reoccupy areas in, say, North Africa. The world was aghast. And so the obvious move would be to seize the Lakers and everything Branson owns … because that would make sense, would obviously help, and doesn’t seem like targeting someone solely for their birth nationality at all …

Last edited:

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, the government isn’t agreeing to this
They don’t seem to care who is ACTUALLY bad or not. Bin Salman is a walking human rights violation, Murdered an American citizen, and is currently, ACTIVELY meeting with Putin to help him… and you let him buy Newcastle.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Might just vomit if this is allowed to happen.
Understandable. If he and his partners in the private consortium aren't linked to the Saudi state in any way (and I have BIG reservations about that claim), would they really be any different, ethically/morally speaking, than an investment group from the US?

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Understandable. If he and his partners in the private consortium aren't linked to the Saudi state in any way (and I have BIG reservations about that claim), would they really be any different, ethically/morally speaking, than an investment group from the US?
Yes. Anyone who has to ask that has never been to both places. You see messy, counter argumentative news and articles coming out of the US because people have the freedom to do so. If a police officer breaks the law and hurts someone it becomes big news because we have the freedom to make it so.
In Saudi Arabia they disappear you. Whenever you see news coming from a country about how the people move in lockstep rhythm, without dissent, ask yourself: what kind of force and horror is necessary to maintain that?
Real freedom, and real morals for that matter, ARE messy and constantly being protested and questioned.

BristolRuss

"18:04
BREAKING Hyundai suspends Chelsea sponsorship deal
Hyundai has announced that it is suspending its sponsorship of Chelsea Football Club in light of sanctions announced against owner Roman Abramovich on Thursday.
The car giant signed a four-year deal with Chelsea to become a sleeve sponsor in 2018 in an agreement estimated to be worth around £50 million to the club.
"Hyundai has become one of the strongest partners in football over the years and the company supports the sport to be a force for good," the company said in a statement.
"Through our partnership with Chelsea FC, we are proud supporters of the players, the fans and grassroots football. However, in the current circumstances, we have taken the decision to suspend our marketing and communication activities with the Club until further notice," it added."

From the BBC

Son

They need to throw out all the state backed clubs too from football. It’s horrendous the excuses from City, Newcastle and PSG fans.

Shocking this corruption has been allowed to prosper in football since the 50’s and Franco.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yes. Anyone who has to ask that has never been to both places. You see messy, counter argumentative news and articles coming out of the US because people have the freedom to do so. If a police officer breaks the law and hurts someone it becomes big news because we have the freedom to make it so.
In Saudi Arabia they disappear you. Whenever you see news coming from a country about how the people move in lockstep rhythm, without dissent, ask yourself: what kind of force and horror is necessary to maintain that?
Real freedom, and real morals for that matter, ARE messy and constantly being protested and questioned.
Yeah I understand the freedom of speech differences but that wasn't really what I was asking. I suppose it's a fair point though. Is it even possible for a media company to not have any links to the state in a country where the state controls what can and can't be said or published?

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Fun but maybe moot question: if the growing narratives are true, and you believe even Romans offer to give all net proceeds from sale to Ukraine are all just smokescreens for his obvious evil agenda… then why are we hearing from the groups that were applying for purchase that Romans demands centered almost exclusively around prospective buyers agreeing to things like continued investment in the academy, the securing of a new stadium, and a dedication to investment in the team? He won’t even be the owner anymore.
OR, is it more likely that opposing team fans in positions of power have seized the moment to score cheap optics points and get rid of a rival for whatever team they support, abandoning the pretext of having any sort of morals or decency?
Think about it: freezing Roman OUT of Chelsea would have been easy; even to the point of seizing any funds from the sale and keeping it for the UK instead of sending it to Ukraine for aid. All assets could have been transferred to a conservator to run the basic operations until a sale was pushed through.
But they are specifically attacking the club, not Roman. They are essentially saying “someone of Russian nationality built the success of this team at the expense of my beloved Arsenal/Tottenham/CP etc etc, and now we have an excuse to take all of that away”.
Are you guys really cool with a government being allowed to use power in this way?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fun but maybe moot question: if the growing narratives are true, and you believe even Romans offer to give all net proceeds from sale to Ukraine are all just smokescreens for his obvious evil agenda…
His letter said the proceeds would go to victims of the war. It was left so open he could have easily meant “Russian soldiers”

then why are we hearing from the groups that were applying for purchase that Romans demands centered almost exclusively around prospective buyers agreeing to things like continued investment in the academy, the securing of a new stadium, and a dedication to investment in the team? He won’t even be the owner anymore.
He obviously supports Chelsea. It’s been his toy for the last two decades. Why wouldn’t he want the club he supports to continue to do well? What is virtuous about that?

OR, is it more likely that opposing team fans in positions of power have seized the moment to score cheap optics points and get rid of a rival for whatever team they support, abandoning the pretext of having any sort of morals or decency?
Think about it: freezing Roman OUT of Chelsea would have been easy; even to the point of seizing any funds from the sale and keeping it for the UK instead of sending it to Ukraine for aid. All assets could have been transferred to a conservator to run the basic operations until a sale was pushed through.
But they are specifically attacking the club, not Roman. They are essentially saying “someone of Russian nationality built the success of this team at the expense of my beloved Arsenal/Tottenham/CP etc etc, and now we have an excuse to take all of that away”.
Are you guys really cool with a government being allowed to use power in this way?
They’re sanctioning the club because he owns it. When he doesn’t own it, sanctions will be lifted. I’m not sure what you are finding difficult here. There’s no conspiracy.

cyberman

They don’t seem to care who is ACTUALLY bad or not. Bin Salman is a walking human rights violation, Murdered an American citizen, and is currently, ACTIVELY meeting with Putin to help him… and you let him buy Newcastle.
This Tory government will not sell an English institution to a foreign buyer imo. Not this high profile anyway. They’ll want their hands in the pie

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Isnt Goal incredibly unreliable?
I don't know. They were a bit of a joke years ago, kinda like Bleacher Report back in the day where anybody could sign up and be a 'contributor'. Nizaar Kinsella has pretty legit connections inside the club though, from what I can tell.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Fun but maybe moot question: if the growing narratives are true, and you believe even Romans offer to give all net proceeds from sale to Ukraine are all just smokescreens for his obvious evil agenda… then why are we hearing from the groups that were applying for purchase that Romans demands centered almost exclusively around prospective buyers agreeing to things like continued investment in the academy, the securing of a new stadium, and a dedication to investment in the team? He won’t even be the owner anymore.
It is totally unnecessary by the government to suffocate the functioning of basic operation. If that's their intention they should have closed the club until new buyer come into it. Till then deduct the points for our scheduled matches to play.

Government need to do lot other things for people instead of wasting their valuable time by keep themselves in this loop.

Some saudi media group now became front runner for buying Chelsea. Better government check their clean background before they take ownership if they win the bid to take over Chelsea.

C'est Moi Cantona

I can see this getting very annoying with the government overseeing this, there is no way they are going to let them be loaded with debt, or be owned by some immoral buyer, I'm convinced they'll have some sort of envible ownership model put in place now, on the back of what should have been a few years of hardship for them.

Given the shocking type of owners the premiership has, it should just be the highest bidder no questions asked.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, the government isn’t agreeing to this
Why would they not? Isn't the whole reason they allowed the crown prince himself to buy Newcastle that the Saudis are an ally if the UK? Its been said that bids from politically sensitive regions won't be considered but realistically what can they say to justify rejecting a Saudi bid for the club, given everything we know about the Newcastle ownership and the UK's relationship with Saudi Arabia?

cyberman

Why would they not? Isn't the whole reason they allowed the crown prince himself to buy Newcastle that the Saudis are an ally if the UK? Its been said that bids from politically sensitive regions won't be considered but realistically what can they say to justify rejecting a Saudi bid for the club, given everything we know about the Newcastle ownership and the UK's relationship with Saudi Arabia?
It’ll be too controversial and throw up awkward questions. Anyway wasnt there a report saying they didn’t want to be sold to any dubious owners like this? I’m sure Chelsea and the government will have some sort of dialogue here

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
No, if they are going to do this they should suck it up and go full nonsense: just shut the whole team down. Team busses getting stuck because they don’t have a credit card for gas? It’s ridiculous, and an unneeded circus. They found no violations from Roman. Boris said so himself. This is literally happening because of the optics around the moron fans in Stamford Bridge singing. There was no issue until the moment that happened. So just full on punish the fans. Use the seized assets to pay off the remaining year of the staff and players and shut it all down.
Then Boris can go back to the Lux place he bought with Russian money given to him by Oleg Deripaska and rest contently knowing he’s a man of true virtue.
The power of the distortion field around your brain lad.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It’ll be too controversial and throw up awkward questions. Anyway wasnt there a report saying they didn’t want to be sold to any dubious owners like this? I’m sure Chelsea and the government will have some sort of dialogue here
Was denied by one of our journos, i forgot which but he works for the athletic. Said there isnt any sort of "blacklist" as to what bids theyll consider, or who theyll sell to

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I still think the American Boehly and wyss will take over, but if it were the Saudi Media, then how can the EPL allow Newcastle's takeover, and not Saudi Media's. They have no ties to the Saudi govt, they are an entirely private entity. I also think the Saudi Media group already have various businesses currently in the UK, and are already working here so to speak. The head of the takeover lived here for a few yrs