g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Romelu Lukaku image 9

Romelu Lukaku Belgium flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

For anyone who wanted to watch how his body changed to worse over the last years compared to him earlier. It's like a different striker back then, fast and aggressive. Can't see how he'll lose all this weight now tbh.

Foxbatt

Based on the fact that he is by far our most proven striker and he has been a scoring machine in the PL for years. Martial still has plenty to prove in this league to even be considered anywhere close to Lukaku.
Martial has already proven that he is a better player than Lukaku. If he was given the chances Lukaku was given by Jose Martial can easily score 25 goals per season. Lukaku has nothing that Martial cannot do and do it better.

izec

If you watched his early goals at WBA and when he moved to Everton you notice how his body has changed. He was lean, and thus was fast and aggressive. The more he grows up the more he becomes more and more bulky till he reaches his state now.

I honestly think we're up to a new Rooney case here. He'll be finished by 29-30.
Rooney was great at 25, Lukaku though....

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I hope we buy a striker in jan and ship him out now. Maybe a cb too if possible. The rest of the team can have time to work things out til summer and the new manager.

Renegade

I get the impression he and Pogba arnt close any more. I’ve noticed they get frustrated with each other during games. Might have something to do with Lukaku loyalty to Jose. Or perhaps Pogba being frustrating with his lack of movement but over use of pointing and directing. His comments of wanting better players as if he’s prime RVN would put me off him if I was his teammate.

Last edited:

Darlington Padgett

I get the impression he and Pogba arnt close any more. I’ve noticed they get frustrated with each other during games. Might have something to do with Lukaku locality to Jose. Or perhaps pogba being frustrating with his lack of movement but over use of pointing and directing. His comments of wanting better players as if he’s prime RVN would put me off him if I was his teammate.
And the fact that he left Raiola might be a factor too. Its weird how close they were and now we barely see them together.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
And the fact that he left Raiola might be a factor too. Its weird how close they were and now we barely see them together.
It looks to me like Lukaku pulled away from Pogba, the moment Mourinho fell out with Pogba. For whatever reason, he decided he wanted to stay in the manager's favour, so if that meant distancing himself from Pogba then so be it.

It's a shame, because whatever you think of Pogba, he was so obviously delighted for Lukaku becoming a ManUtd player.

Suvvernmanc

I have just posted this in the newbie thread on Lukakus weight problems. Thought it would be good here in the mains too.

'It's not acceptable for a professional footballer to be overweight. The club doctors/physicians etc weigh the players regulary and have detailed plans for their food intake, gym and fitness routines to make sure they are doing the correct amount of cardio and muscle work. They will know what his weight and BMI should be, and he has definately bulked up. I'm not sure though if it's muscular or fat. I think it's a bit of both which says he is not sticking to the club's plan for him.

He's a big guy naturally and when you are that size, putting any more weight on whether it's muscle or fat, will affect his speed and general sharpness. In my opinion, because he is naturally a big guy, he needs to be at a lower weight as possible. He's actually very quick regardless of his size and he would be super quick if he slimmed right down. His weight/size at Everton was perfect. Not sure exactly why these gains have been happening but it needs sorting out very quickly!'

Springfield WildCats

Based on the fact that he is by far our most proven striker and he has been a scoring machine in the PL for years. Martial still has plenty to prove in this league to even be considered anywhere close to Lukaku.
Well I’m basing it on going the game and watching lukaku for 18 months and martial 3 years, give martial the amount of opportunities lukaku has had up front and he would of bettered every goal scoring record lukakau has had with us, stats would prove that. Ones a great footballer the other just a tap in merchant, what is lukaku better at than martial?

Shouldn’t we off signed Andy Johnston?
Yakubu? Bent? All these had good scoring records

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They all were not their main target men or you can say non of the teams relied on these players to provide the bulk of the goals or deliver the goals at critical moments. The problem with Lukaku is that he plays for both united and Belgium as their main target man. And as a target man he is unreliable or i must say does not have the skill set required at this level.
Lukaku isn't nor does he play as a target man.

You say that those teams didn't rely on those players to score goals, well that's kind of my point now isn't it? To think that Lukaku isn't very good at football is nonsense. His goal record is top notch and at international level it's world class.

ravi2

I hope we buy a striker in jan and ship him out now. Maybe a cb too if possible. The rest of the team can have time to work things out til summer and the new manager.
I wonder who would buy him at anywhere close what we paid for him?
I agree the sooner he is shipped out he better it will be for all everyone concerned

Canagel

I get the impression he and Pogba arnt close any more. I’ve noticed they get frustrated with each other during games. Might have something to do with Lukaku loyalty to Jose. Or perhaps Pogba being frustrating with his lack of movement but over use of pointing and directing. His comments of wanting better players as if he’s prime RVN would put me off him if I was his teammate.
Yeah pogba was angry with him for not moving in a few games. I don't see any room for him in this team tbh. If he's ready to stay on the bench and be used as squad player I don't know.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think Ole will get the best out of him. He's limited but not as bad as people suggest him to be.
I'd prefer Sanchez or Rashford up top though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I agree the sooner he is shipped out he better it will be for all everyone concerned
Probably no one in Europe and he's too young to go anywhere else. If we can get 40-50m we've done alright I think.

Loon

:lol:
His coach is now one of the most impressive finishers in Premier League history, maybe Solskjær can get him to another level?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
For anyone who wanted to watch how his body changed to worse over the last years compared to him earlier. It's like a different striker back then, fast and aggressive. Can't see how he'll lose all this weight now tbh.

Around the 40/50/60 goal marks, that Lukaku was incredible. Just seemed so much better on the ball. Quicker, like you said. Completely different players - someone who doesn't watch football very much wouldn't think that's the same player.

It's a shame. I just can't see him losing the bulk unfortunately.

DBT85

With the correct help (which he'll have) he can get to exactly whatever shape he wants to get to. Whether it'll take his first touch from wardrobe to wonderkid or not we'll have to see.

Hopefully playing under Ole will free him up to do what he did best and will end the experiment of making him Drogba 2.0 which was only ever destined to fail.

Because I did it for another thread it might as well go here too. Like my posts dammit so I can post more rather than editing my old ones!

Lukaku will look like twice the player in a setup like yesterday, certain of it, it’s exactly the sort of football he thrives on. Hopefully his finishing improves.
The quality of his finishing isn't really his issue, it's actually getting a shot that has been his issue this year (in goal scoring terms) and that's because he's not getting the ball in areas he can do that because he's being asked to play in a way that's alien to him, just like everyone else has. He's looked like dogshit as a result.

PL stats only
Lukaku
In 16/17 he had 110 shots, 55 on target (50%), 25 goals (22%)
In 17/18 he had 86 shots, 43 on target (50%), 16 goals (18%)
In 18/19 he's had 28 shots, 16 on target (57%), 6 goals (21%)
PL All time 654 shots, 300 on target (46%), 107 goals (16.3%) (With West Brom, Everton and Mous United)

Harry Kane
16/17 110 shots, 58 on target (53%) 29 goals (26%)
17/18 184 shots, 76 on target (41%), 30 goals (16%!!)
18/19 61 shots, 29 on target (48%), 11 goals (18%)
PL All time 657 shots, 298 on target (45%), 119 goals (18.1%) (almost entirely with Poch's Spurs)

Just look at that. This year and last year he's had less than HALF the shots of Kane and scored half as many goals. When he left Everton he can surely never have expected to get LESS shots at goal when he joined United with the likes of Pogba behind him. He really could thrive under Ole when just being asked to be a striker and using his size, power and pace to hound defences rather than being asked to hold up the ball and build play when its clear he's at his very best inside the box.

For larks I did Rash and Martial too. Martial is on fire this season tbh.

Martial
16/17 42 shots, 18 on target (43%), 4 goals (9%)
17/18 49 shots, 16 on target (33%), 9 goals, (18%)
18/19 19 shots, 13 on target (68%!), 8 goals (42%!)

Rashford
16/17 44 shots, 17 on target (39%), 5 goals (11%)
17/18 61 shots, 21 on target (34%), 7 goals (11%)
18/19 22 shots, 13 on target (59%!), 4 goals (18%)

Last edited:

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
Can people stop freaking out? Mourinho was trying to turn him into Drogba, hence the bulk. As for not scoring goals, don't think we we're doing that anyways under Mourinho. He's much more talented than Lingard, Rashford so I imagine he'll be just fine with Solskjaer

It is actually pretty easy to slim down and lose muscle mass. It will take a small adjustment period but he's already said he's trying to slim down. Once he does, he can be lethal on that right side with Sanchez playing false 9 up the middle.

RedCurry

In place of who.

Of course, he still has the ability to score goals but that's not going to guarantee him anything. The most important player in a team that likes to press is the striker.
“Pressing” is one of the easiest skills in football. You are just required to run around which a fit Lukaku can absolutely do.

Being clinical in front of the goal(which admittedly Lukaku hasn’t been this season) is arguably the most difficult skill in football. An in form Lukaku is a better finisher than Rashford.

It’s a bit premature to write him off just yet.

Cloud7

It's not hard to imagine, really:

Martial bursts forward, passes to Lukaku. The ball bounces off Lukaku and Cardiff clear their lines easily. Lukaku proceeds to point in front of himself.

See, it was easy.
:lol::lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Can people stop freaking out? Mourinho was trying to turn him into Drogba, hence the bulk. As for not scoring goals, don't think we we're doing that anyways under Mourinho. He's much more talented than Lingard, Rashford so I imagine he'll be just fine with Solskjaer

It is actually pretty easy to slim down and lose muscle mass. It will take a small adjustment period but he's already said he's trying to slim down. Once he does, he can be lethal on that right side with Sanchez playing false 9 up the middle.
He bulked up for the World Cup, why would Jose ask him to do that?

And why would we ever play him on the right? He's a striker and nothing else. I don't he's ever played another position,so it would be interesting to know why you think he's a right winger.

Cloud7

He’ll be shipped off to West Ham in the summer after next season for 45mill.

el3mel

He clearly said he bulked up for world cup. Imagine asking people to stop freaking out then going on to make a false assumption.

And Drogba wasn't that bulky btw. He was lean too.

Water Melon

He clearly said he bulked up for world cup. Imagine asking people to stop freaking out then going on to make a false assumption.

And Drogba wasn't that bulky btw. He was lean too.
Exactly. Drogba was big, but quite lean. Lukaku does indeed look like a rugby player these rather than a footballer. Will be very interesting to see if Rom fits in our fluid attacking play or looks out of place.

goofygoofygoofy

B'mouth might be able to afford an offer of £25m if they get their new stadium built, fingers crossed.

logan99

If the style of play with Ole will be one touch with speed ... can Lukaku deal with that?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I hope so, I'm already dreading the few games and lost points it might take with him before we figure out he doesn't fit the new playing style.

Shark

@NotShark
Lukaku doesn’t have any place in the type of performance we seen on Saturday. Hopefully OGS makes possibly one of the most vital calls in his few months here and ships this guy out.

lysglimt

Scout
Lukaku doesn’t have any place in the type of performance we seen on Saturday. Hopefully OGS makes possibly one of the most vital calls in his few months here and ships this guy out.
Seriously - a guy who scored 95 goals in 5 seasons for WBA and Everton should be shipped out based on the last 12 months with Mourinho ? Give him 6 months with OGS and if there is no improvement, then we can talk.

I have a feeling Lukaku will come back to Life again now that the rest of the team performs.

Shark

@NotShark
Seriously - a guy who scored 95 goals in 5 seasons for WBA and Everton should be shipped out based on the last 12 months with Mourinho ? Give him 6 months with OGS and if there is no improvement, then we can talk.

I have a feeling Lukaku will come back to Life again now that the rest of the team performs.
I don’t think any of his critics will deny that Lukaku, if provided good service, will get you goals. We all knew that when we signed him. The issue for me over the past few months, is that when the team is playing shite he’s not going to be a striker to pull something out of the bag for us. That’s a significant issue for any Manchester United striker. I’m also not sure why with all our other attacking talent, we’d need to play to his strengths. Martial can score many goals, as can Rashford, as can Sánchez if he gets back to his best. Why exactly do we need to put so much effort into putting the ball on a plate for Romelu Lukaku? We’re not Everton ffs.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Deserves a chance to show what he can do under Ole, after all everyone else had one. If Ole can’t get him back to his best by the end of the season then maybe move him on, but there’s no point selling in January when his form and value are the worst they’ve been in years. Even 6 months under Ole should see his value improve.

lysglimt

Scout
I don’t think any of his critics will deny that Lukaku, if provided good service, will get you goals. We all knew that when we signed him. The issue for me over the past few months, is that when the team is playing shite he’s not going to be a striker to pull something out of the bag for us. That’s a significant issue for any Manchester United striker. I’m also not sure why with all our other attacking talent, we’d need to play to his strengths. Martial can score many goals, as can Rashford, as can Sánchez if he gets back to his best. Why exactly do we need to put so much effort into putting the ball on a plate for Romelu Lukaku? We’re not Everton ffs.
No - we are not Everton. We should create a hell of a lot more chances - and if Lukaku could score 20+ for Everton, we should provide him with enough chances to at least do the same for us.

Trizy

In form he’s a 25+ goal striker, let’s see if he’s still got that ability.
Form and the right system. If we're gonna play quick passing and expansive football, he just won't fit us or score 25 goals.

I'd be the same putting Suarez into a Jose long ball team. A 30-40 goal player that wouldn't net 20.

Shark

@NotShark
No - we are not Everton. We should create a hell of a lot more chances - and if Lukaku could score 20+ for Everton, we should provide him with enough chances to at least do the same for us.
The biggest club in the world imo shouldn’t have a striker that we constantly need to create chances for as if he’s our only source. That buildup play from Martial that led to his goal on Saturday is something that you would never see from Lukaku. Rashford free kick is also something you would never see in a million years from this guy. He’s not good enough.

Bola

He has had an impressive start to his Prem career and has suffered at United due to being utilised as a target man, which he was not suited to.

However, there are big question marks over his price tag and star stays at a big club. A poor record against top 6 teams and some appaling technical ability displayed. Also, we have generally looked weaker with him as the main striker this season. I also think he had put in possibly the worst performance as a striker in a United shirt (that I can recall), with his completely lack of movement in the 1st Valencia game.

The Cardiff game pointed to the future and some of Jose's Lukkaku selections pointed to the fluidity we could play. Can Lukkaku fit that tactic? Possibly and he should have a chance to earn his place on the training ground. However, I would accept a 50m bid if it came in to avoid the risk of him not working out - if they had the money avaible in Jan I could see a Chelsea or West Ham going in for him

RuudTom83

Lakaku and Fellaini are two players that have limitations, the argument is should the ‘team’ be setup to use them correctly or should they be used more as subs.

Lukaku should stop trying to get involved with the buildup and just hang out on shoulder of the right sided CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.