Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

crossy1686

career ending
Says a lot about our society that he is the one to have the highest accumulated net transfer of all time.
He's a perfect player for the social media age we live in. Talk about how great you are constantly while rarely performing at an elite level, get a bunch of people to buy into your cult status despite stats showing you're not that good. Drop down to a lower level league or turn it on against lower opposition and double down on how 'great' you are.

crossy1686

career ending
He's in awful form and surely be shipped out in the summer. Back at Inter or similar team he'll be back to last season's form again.

Just not working in our system and squad.

With hindsight mistake to buy him, last summer very few strikers available.

If we hadn't signed him everybody would be saying it was a mistake too...
His confidence is paper thin. No matter where he's been, if he's not showered with praise from everyone his head goes, and even when he's getting praise he focuses on those that are talking shit about him. He doesn't have the mentality to make it at Chelsea or even United's level.

Stacks

He does not have terrible stats in England. He has 118 goals and 35 assists in 273 premier league games. Not the greatest but definitely not terrible.
Those stats are terrible mate, especially considering nearly half of his 8 seasons starting as striker were for Manchester United or Chelsea.
They are similar to Viduka and Yakubu.
He's in awful form and surely be shipped out in the summer. Back at Inter or similar team he'll be back to last season's form again.

Not United fans. We found it hilarious you would drop 100 M's on him after our experience.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's a perfect player for the social media age we live in. Talk about how great you are constantly while rarely performing at an elite level, get a bunch of people to buy into your cult status despite stats showing you're not that good. Drop down to a lower level league or turn it on against lower opposition and double down on how 'great' you are.
You have to relatively good to do that , he genuinely isn't that good and numbers wise hasn't had much aside from 2 good seasons in Italy (his internationally numbers are Supreme though I give him that).
Jokes aside he's definitely a weird case .

crossy1686

career ending
You have to relatively good to do that , he genuinely isn't that good and numbers wise hasn't had much aside from 2 good seasons in Italy (his internationally numbers are Supreme though I give him that).
Jokes aside he's definitely a weird case .
I don't know, you just need some good stats on FIFA one year to be considered a great player today. Then people start finding excuses to say everything a player does is world class

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't know, you just need some good stats on FIFA one year to be considered a great player today. Then people start finding excuses to say everything a player does is world class
We did the world an injustice by buying him, being associated with us has done massively to inflate his coverage and media presence.
Same thing with martial who despite not being world class for a single season has this weird fan base thing going on in Twitter, he at least doesn't run his mouth much.

crossy1686

career ending
We did the world an injustice by buying him, being associated with us has done massively to inflate his coverage and media presence.
Same thing with martial who despite not being world class for a single season has this weird fan base thing going on in Twitter, he at least doesn't run his mouth much.
That's true to be honest. I guess it's easier to look for positives in everything someone does than admit they're just not good enough.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's true to be honest. I guess it's easier to look for positives in everything someone does than admit they're just not good enough.
That's a great attribute to always look out for in
folk.
Saves you a lot of unnecessary headaches.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

It wasn't hindsight, it was a clear stylistical mismatch from day one. Even if he scored a healthy tally he would have held us back systematically let alone what he's treating us too now.

The club fell into the trap supporters often do of just looking at the top line without factoring in how he'd feck the system up.

At the want of a better option we should have rolled with Werner/Kai/Mount as finishing aside that trio were really onto something and I was really excited to see how they evolved.

Idxomer

I thought he was a huge gamble but didn't expect to see him fail like he did this season.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Does anyone think he's done at big clubs now. This was his last chance and he's blown it after redeeming himself at Inter he had a real chance to kick on but honestly I can't see him leading the line at any top club ever again. I don't think even the top Italian sides would have him back now we know an aging Dzeko is a better player.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Does anyone think he's done at big clubs now. This was his last chance and he's blown it after redeeming himself at Inter he had a real chance to kick on but honestly I can't see him leading the line at any top club ever again. I don't think even the top Italian sides would have him back now we know an aging Dzeko is a better player.
I think Inter would have him back, think PSG might even take him. Chelsea won't get their money back though and he may even have to go out on loan to get him out in the short term if Chelsea decide they want him out ASAP

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think he'd be perfect at a club like Atletico Madrid. They do have previous for buying Chelsea striker flops, but genuinely in a low block system focused on counters he could be excellent.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I thought he was a huge gamble but didn't expect to see him fail like he did this season.
Not trying to be a know-it-all at all, but this is almost exactly what I expected from him. Having watched him so much at United, I think I posted several times that he was the worst first choice striker I had seen at United in the last 25 years, and his stint in a much lower level serie A did nothing to assuage me of that belief. The fact he’s looked a hopeless oaf in a Chelsea shirt is one of the most predictable things in a long time. His first touch, mobility and movement are just not at a top class level. Which is essential for a striker in such a competitive league. In fact I would go to say that his attributes in those areas are decidedly third tier.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think he'd be perfect at a club like Atletico Madrid. They do have previous for buying Chelsea striker flops, but genuinely in a low block system focused on counters he could be excellent.
Absolutely. I am always surprised how many expect him to play as a target man for a dominant side. He never was suited to a role like Benzema or Lewandowski play, it's just what people assume when they look at him. His skills (that he definitely has) in a weird way just don't really fit his body .

KeanoMagicHat

Lukaku is still a very good striker, just below the world-class level, depending on his form he either convinces people he is world class or he’s useless but it’s neither. 68 goals for Belgium shows his quality and despite a weaker Serie A, you cannot dismiss 47 goals in just two league seasons. Tuchel has decided he doesn’t suit him and Lukaku’s confidence is low, don’t be surprised to see him do well for someone else.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Easy tiger on the 'excellent' :lol:
:lol: - to be fair, I think he's a better fit stylistically than Suarez, for instance!

Absolutely. I am always surprised how many expect him to play as a target man for a dominant side. He never was suited to a role like Benzema or Lewandowski play, it's just what people assume when they look at him. His skills (that he definitely has) in a weird way just don't really fit his body .
Yeah he really needs to play as part of a striker pairing - ideally right of centre so he can isolate a CB 1v1 with space to attack. You're spot on - he really plays like someone far smaller than his stature.

Paul_Scholes18

Lukaku is still a very good striker, just below the world-class level, depending on his form he either convinces people he is world class or he’s useless but it’s neither. 68 goals for Belgium shows his quality and despite a weaker Serie A, you cannot dismiss 47 goals in just two league seasons. Tuchel has decided he doesn’t suit him and Lukaku’s confidence is low, don’t be surprised to see him do well for someone else.
Agree he has been very good for Belgium. I thought he would suit Chelsea well, but it has not worked.

padr81

Supports
Man City
If Simoone didn't strangle him after the first tantrum. It is a place he'd score a lot of goals if his head was in the game though.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
And more than half of those are against cannon fodder
Main striker in the golden generation of Belgium and they've won feck all despite being stacked with great players all over the pitch.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Not trying to be a know-it-all at all, but this is almost exactly what I expected from him. Having watched him so much at United, I think I posted several times that he was the worst first choice striker I had seen at United in the last 25 years, and his stint in a much lower level serie A did nothing to assuage me of that belief. The fact he’s looked a hopeless oaf in a Chelsea shirt is one of the most predictable things in a long time. His first touch, mobility and movement are just not at a top class level. Which is essential for a striker in such a competitive league. In fact I would go to say that his attributes in those areas are decidedly third tier.
Overly harsh. Serie A isn't some farmer's league and he was arguably the best player in that league in 20-21, notching 24 goals and 11 assists, also leading the title winners in chances created. He definitely isn't going to thrive in all systems, as we are seeing under Tuchel and we also saw with Ole at United. But in the right system he has proved himself to be capable of top level performances. He also scored 25 in a season at Everton.

For me there is no question that he is a better player than Martial, if we're talking about who is the worst first choice United striker of recent years.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Overly harsh. Serie A isn't some farmer's league and he was arguably the best player in that league in 20-21, notching 24 goals and 11 assists, also leading the title winners in chances created. He definitely isn't going to thrive in all systems, as we are seeing under Tuchel and we also saw with Ole at United. But in the right system he has proved himself to be capable of top level performances. He also scored 25 in a season at Everton.

For me there is no question that he is a better player than Martial, if we're talking about who is the worst first choice United striker of recent years.
Well it kinda is considering how bad Italian teams have been in European competitions for over a decade. I don't know why some of you still live in the past when it comes to Serie A the league's been a shit show of quality for a very long time now which has been evident with the lack of talent in the national team.
As for Lukaku. He scored 15 penalty goals for Inter in his 2 seasons. Take those goals away and he's not even a 20 league goalscorer.

InfiniteBoredom

I don't really care?
I am enjoying him on the team and think that our team will continue to play better the longer he is on it. I thought he was pretty good the first year with United. His second season was pretty bad. He does have weaknesses to his overall game. It really becomes necessary to play to his strengths. Like I said, what is really important is if a player is liked by the fan base he plays for.
If your fans have supported him harder, he wouldn’t flop worse than a busted flush, right?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Well it kinda is considering how bad Italian teams have been in European competitions for over a decade. I don't know why some of you still live in the past when it comes to Serie A the league's been a shit show of quality for a very long time now which has been evident with the lack of talent in the national team.
As for Lukaku. He scored 15 penalty goals for Inter in his 2 seasons. Take those goals away and he's not even a 20 league goalscorer.
It may not be a golden generation, but they're European champions, so hardly a shower.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s not a good footballer. He’s awful. Was awful at United. One of the worst players I’ve seen play for us since 1980s. He can score goals at points. Usually in batches but his ego is massive and as a result his confidence is paper thin. People say he was decent in his first season....he scored 16 league goals despite holding the team back being the focal point and having two spells of form where he didn’t score for months. An arsenal fan said he’s better than Martial? Not for us he wasn’t. He ruined the flow of the team. Despite the fact that neither has worked out, Martial has helped the team to play football where Lukaku hindered and both score a similar amount of league goals per season.

Lukaku scores goals against shite opposition. Chelsea got duped.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He’s not a good footballer. He’s awful. Was awful at United. One of the worst players I’ve seen play for us since 1980s. He can score goals at points. Usually in batches but his ego is massive and as a result his confidence is paper thin. People say he was decent in his first season....he scored 16 league goals despite holding the team back being the focal point and having two spells of form where he didn’t score for months. An arsenal fan said he’s better than Martial? Not for us he wasn’t. He ruined the flow of the team. Despite the fact that neither has worked out, Martial has helped the team to play football where Lukaku hindered and both score a similar amount of league goals per season.

You've seen the current team then, or not?

There's plenty worse than him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I hope he will play with Maguire one day, for a whole season or two. Then we can see who is the bigger man between them on twitter when they both fecked up in the same match.

Revaulx

Yeah he really needs to play as part of a striker pairing - ideally right of centre so he can isolate a CB 1v1 with space to attack. You're spot on - he really plays like someone far smaller than his stature.
In the first part of his second season with us Jose was in an uncharacteristically experimental mood and tried out various formations, presumably the main purpose being trying to work out how to get the best out of Lukaku.

We played a few games with him on the right of Martial in a two-up-front and it worked surprisingly well. I particularly remember it in a CL group game in Moscow, which we won 4-1 with Lukaku scoring twice and us playing some really nice football.

Of course it didn’t last. Jose being Jose angled for (and got) a contract extension and payrise soon afterwards and resorted to the dullest 4-2-3-1 imaginable. The signing of Alexis, CL knockout exit to Sevilla and cup final defeat to your lot completely killed the cautious optimism I was feeling earlier on.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Credit to ole, offloading him was definitely one of the better decisions he took , for 78 mil as well.

Trex

Lukaku is one of the best players at the moment, football is about putting the ball in the back of the net and there are only a few who can match him in this regard, the problem are his teammates not knowing roles, he is the 9 and that means he should be supplied, they sabotage him preferring Havertz because Havertz allow them share the goal scoring glory.

Pickle85

Lukaku is one of the best players at the moment, football is about putting the ball in the back of the net and there are only a few who can match him in this regard, the problem are his teammates not knowing roles, he is the 9 and that means he should be supplied, they sabotage him preferring Havertz because Havertz allow them share the goal scoring glory.
You think Lukaku is one of the best players in the prem at the moment?