Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
And don`t forget mate that Chelsea bought him AFTER we saw how limited he was for us in the PL.
And you signed him after he showed how limited he was at Everton (despite a decent goal record against shit teams he did feck all against opponents of note) and how he ran away from fighting a rubbish Torres and an ageing Eto'o for a place in the Chelsea team.

He's basically a good PL level scorer who PR'd his way to chances at top teams.

I'll be the first to admit I get more wrong than I do right but this chancer? Saw through him as early as his first debut for us.

AlexUTD

And you signed him after he showed how limited he was at Everton (despite a decent goal record against shit teams he did feck all against opponents of note) and how he ran away from fighting a rubbish Torres and an ageing Eto'o for a place in the Chelsea team.

He's basically a good PL level scorer who PR'd his way to chances at top teams defences.

I'll be the first to admit I get more wrong than I do right but this chancer? Saw through him as early as his first debut for us.
He looked better in Everton to be fair, they played to his strenghts with alot of crosses into the box and they were a weaker team so he had more room to run in behind opposition teams.

At United he showed that he could not be involved in the buildup much because of lack of first touch and technique. And this is when i think Chelsea should know that he is not the kind of player a bigger club needs who wants the striker to be part of the buildup.

MegadrivePerson

He looked better in Everton to be fair, they played to his strenghts with alot of crosses into the box and they were a weaker team so he had more room to run in behind opposition teams.

At United he showed that he could not be involved in the buildup much because of lack of first touch and technique. And this is when i think Chelsea should know that he is not the kind of player a bigger club needs who wants the striker to be part of the buildup.
I think it helped that at Everton they hadn't exactly had any top strikers for years before Lukaku and since he left either. If you are comparing him to the likes of Jelavic and Yakubu, its a bit different to historically what he was up against at Chelsea and United.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

When he rejoined Chelsea, he just had a season for Inter in which he was praised for how much he improved his first touch. I remember reports how Conte had him go through training drills to work on that aspect of his game. So I think one can't really blame Chelsea for thinking that this weakness was gone or at least not as prevalent anymore.

Still think it was a very dumb decision to bring him in. They had something that worked with Havertz and Werner up front. Havertz profited from a mobile striker so he could ghost into the spaces Werner left vacant when he made his supporting runs to the wings and with Lukaku it all looked static. Werner also got lots and lots of chances, so I would either have hoped he'd improve his conversion rate or replaced him with a similar striker instead of a completely different type. With hindsight, the Lukaku signing was probably the beginning of the end of Tuchel's time there that initially was very, very promising.

AlexUTD

When he rejoined Chelsea, he just had a season for Inter in which he was praised for how much he improved his first touch. I remember reports how Conte had him go through training drills to work on that aspect of his game. So I think one can't really blame Chelsea for thinking that this weakness was gone or at least not as prevalent anymore.

Still think it was a very dumb decision to bring him in. They had something that worked with Havertz and Werner up front. Havertz profited from a mobile striker so he could ghost into the spaces Werner left vacant when he made his supporting runs to the wings and with Lukaku it all looked static. Werner also got lots and lots of chances, so I would either have hoped he'd improve his conversion rate or replaced him with a similar striker instead of a completely different type. With hindsight, the Lukaku signing was probably the beginning of the end of Tuchel's time there that initially was very, very promising.
For the amount of money they spent on him, you would think there would be a better option out there, a more complete player.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Who are your current striking alternatives at the moment? It's Martial, maybe he-who-shall-not-be-named or someone else out of position.

Obviously you're not going to be signing Lukaku but if he was in your squad, he'd get getting some game time.

I appreciate you'd rather sign almost anyone else of course but that's not what Unam333 said.
I'd rather a half-injured Martial over Lukuku!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Defiently agree with that, to add him to a team that won the UCL playing high pressing and positionally fluid football was utterly moronic.

It was inevitable that one day the rest of the footballing world was going to catch up when it came to his lack of character and the fact he just isn't very good, unfortunately it just had to be when we own him. Time always does it's thing with players like him.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
The Saudi’s will bail them out yet again.
Inter would have already bought him on a permanent deal if he wasn't being such a cnut. A transfer fee was just about to be agreed between the clubs before Lukaku again started causing unnecessary headache for everyone involved.

So if he does end up in the Saudi league the choice will be down to Lukaku himself.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Nooooooooooooooooo - just nail Lukaku's ass to the bench until he accepts the Saudi money
I can accept this if it means we get free of Lukaku. Vlahovic would be on less money and there’s no toxicity around him, but I hate that we’re the ones adding money on top of Lukaku and we already have Jackson.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I can accept this if it means we get free of Lukaku. Vlahovic would be on less money and there’s no toxicity around him, but I hate that we’re one adding money on top of Lukaku and we already have Jackson.
Vlahovic is on €11m salary. He walks in as our 3rd highest earner. Poch said he wants a striker with a different profile. Jackson and Vlahovic are very different. Not sure where this will leave Broja? I doubt he wants to be the third option.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Vlahovic is on €11m salary. He walks in as our 3rd highest earner. Poch said he wants a striker with a different profile. Jackson and Vlahovic are very different. Not sure where this will leave Broja? I doubt he wants to be the third option.
That’s what, £174k a week? Lukaku is on double that here.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I know he's had injury issues, etc etc...but how much baggage does this man come with if teams are almost begging to have him taken off their hands? Seems like his big head behavior has caught up with him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't sell him for love nor money. How his star has fallen.
He was never a star, his PR team was.

Time was always going to do it's thing with this guy, I just wish it wasn't while we owned him.

Himannv

Was just watching the CL final replay. That open header he missed was a sitter. Chelsea hung onto him for too long I reckon - should have sold him to Inter or whoever a season earlier.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea hung onto him for too long I reckon - should have sold him to Inter or whoever a season earlier.
Huh?

We hung onto him for exactly one season. And during that season Lukaku professed his love towards Inter about three months in and it was all fecked after that.

Last summer we let him go on loan because Inter, being the broke feckers they've been for a long time now, were refusing to even consider a permanent deal and Lukaku himself made it very clear Inter were the only destination he accepted.

So aside from us never buying him in the first place, what do you reckon the club should have done differently to avoid the situation we now find ourselves in with this guy?

Himannv

Huh?

We hung onto him for exactly one season. And during that season Lukaku professed his love towards Inter about three months in and it was all fecked after that.

Last summer we let him go on loan because Inter, being the broke feckers they've been for a long time now, were refusing to even consider a permanent deal and Lukaku himself made it very clear Inter were the only destination he accepted.

So aside from us never buying him in the first place, what do you reckon the club should have done differently to avoid the situation we now find ourselves in with this guy?
He wasn't going to play for you and you kind of knew he wasn't any good so you should have sold to other clubs or at least loaned with an agreement that they'd buy. He still had value at the time as well. Your only hope now is Saudi and if they don't come in I don't know what you'll do.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
He wasn't going to play for you and you kind of knew he wasn't any good so you should have sold to other clubs or at least loaned with an agreement that they'd buy. He still had value at the time as well. Your only hope now is Saudi and if they don't come in I don't know what you'll do.
Easier said than done though.

On paper it's very easy to say 'just sell him somewhere else then' but we couldn't exactly force him to go anywhere he didn't want to go, nor could we have forced Inter to agree to a deal they simply could not afford to make. Of course we'd have fecking preferred to sell him ASAP. You don't loan out a 29 year old striker in hopes he'll develop as a player and come back stronger, you only loan him out if an immediate sale is impossible and the hope is he'll perform just about well enough to attract a permanent sale later on.

As for the Saudis being our 'only hope' that's simply not true. Juventus are after him hard and have already agreed personal terms with him but either they need to raise money by selling Vlahovic first or we need to accept Vlahovic in part-exchange, with some money going Juve's way on top of Lukaku. Can't say I'd fancy Vlahovic myself though.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That's the exact problem, all it took was basic due dillengence into his lack of character and it would have been enough to run a mile.

I was delighted when we sold him and even more delighted when United were even more stupid than us in 2017. As soon as I started to relax thinking the window of opportunity for a Lukaku return passed we fecking signed him, unbelievable.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
That's the exact problem, all it took was basic due dillengence into his lack of character and it would have been enough to run a mile.

I was delighted when we sold him and even more delighted when United were even more stupid than us in 2017. As soon as I started to relax thinking the window of opportunity for a Lukaku return passed we fecking signed him, unbelievable.
Well yeah it's hard to disagree with any of that but now that he was already on our books I don't see what we could have done any differently either last summer or this year to make it easier to cut ties with him.

The club already accepted the L last year when shipping him out on loan and he was well on his way to being sold to Inter this summer for the reported €35-40M fee if he wasn't such a rotten human being who scuppered the deal at the last minute.

People can blame the club all they want for bringing him back in the first place, and I do as well, but any problems we've faced with getting him out have been 100% down to Lukaku himself and I don't see what the club could have done to avoid the current situation.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Smart move.
Smart for who? surely not Juventus.
Juventus all it need to do is wait till mid august.
Chelsea has a big problem and we can totally turn this deal into a loan with option to buy.
So Chelsea can have one more year deprecation and sell it for 30m next summer.
I would never trade Vlahovic for Lukaku. Even if Vlahovic has pubalgia

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Smart for who? surely not Juventus.
Juventus all it need to do is wait till mid august.
Chelsea has a big problem and we can totally turn this deal into a loan with option to buy.
So Chelsea can have one more year deprecation and sell it for 30m next summer.
I would never trade Vlahovic for Lukaku. Even if Vlahovic has pubalgia
Proves his point. Smart move for Chelsea.

crossy1686

career ending
Was just watching the CL final replay. That open header he missed was a sitter. Chelsea hung onto him for too long I reckon - should have sold him to Inter or whoever a season earlier.
We sold him at the top, for sure. For all the bad things Solskjaer did, he knew that Lukaku wasn't an elite striker from day one, moved him out to the wing and then sold him when he threw his toys out of the pram. Did us a huge favour or he would still be here, but on loan somewhere else.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Juventus all it need to do is wait till mid august. Chelsea has a big problem and we can totally turn this deal into a loan with option to buy.
If the deal was acceptable to Chelsea as a loan with an option to buy, don't you think it would have happened ages ago with Inter already?

Lukaku himself will be getting a bit anxious too if this drags on. No matter how much of a wanker he is I doubt he's the kind of footballer who would be happy just training with the reserves to pick up his pay check. If Juve don't pay up the Saudi Arabia option is still on the table and it's likely that option will continue to be on the table till their transfer window shuts in late September, weeks after the window closes in Europe.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Seems like lukaku might be going to juventus. Pochettino is crucial to see if vlahovic comes to Chelsea. Interesting story because vlahovic was one of Pochettino main target, but Jackson is doing so well. And if they get vlahovic, it is hard to not imagine him not starting.

But it is also good for competition.

City has halaand/Alvarez
United has holjland/martial
Arsenal has jesus/nekitiah
Liverpool has nunez/gakpo?
Newcastle has Wilson/Isak

So chelsea having jackson/vlahovic isn't to crazy

Arios

Supports
Juventus
If the deal was acceptable to Chelsea as a loan with an option to buy, don't you think it would have happened ages ago with Inter already?

Lukaku himself will be getting a bit anxious too if this drags on. No matter how much of a wanker he is I doubt he's the kind of footballer who would be happy just training with the reserves to pick up his pay check. If Juve don't pay up the Saudi Arabia option is still on the table and it's likely that option will continue to be on the table till their transfer window shuts in late September, weeks after the window closes in Europe.
well we're not exactly obnious to get rid of Vlahovic 23yrs old to get a fatter 31yrs old on higher wages.
A reject that Chelsea wanna get rid no matter what.
If I were Juventus management I would offer you guys a loan (worth your annual deprecation) with option turning into obligation if we qualify for next CL for Lukaku's residual value

I mean Lukaku has either Juventus or Arabia as options.
Maybe Tottenham if they sell Kane
And if Lukaku wanted to go to Arabia he would've gone 3weeks ago.
Everyone knows that the more time passes the more Chelsea will be hard pressed.
To not keep a lunatic there

I hope he accept Arabia offert. If we have to sell Vlahovic for the books I would go for another profile like Wahi or J. David or even Balogun rather than Lukaku.
I mean why spending 40m on someone who you dunno if next year gonna stick or will play child to go wherever he wants.
And being 32yrs old. This is madness. Loan to see if the player is there with his head and if he won't turn childish next summer.

Problem is we already have Kean,Milik,Vlahovic and Chiesa. We can't add without selling someone