Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's only people from clubs that he hasn't played for that rate him.
And people who are hellbent, for reasons unknown, to push the idea that he's "underrated" according to a standard that fits their purpose.

He scores goals when provided with the right service. Yes, right. Mostly against sub-par opposition, rarely when you need him to step up - but yes, sure. Like any run-of-the-mill striker of his ilk who isn't terrible (and he isn't - he's pretty good in the grand scheme of things).

Suedesi

One footed doesn't mean he can never score but as you said he's not got the technique.
I wonder if Lukaku ever sought Mata out for pointers on technique. You can get away with being one footed as RvP did for the longest time if your technique is impeccable but if it isn't then you need to have some level of competence with the weaker foot.

No one can watch this stuff and say Lukaku rivals the best we have had in the past.

Martial is class. He's a natural. The only problem is his fitness and commitment as his talent has never been in doubt after the day he sent Skrtel back to Slovakia.
+1

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
In light of what Haddock said, I kinda wonder if there are any vids of Lukaku doing something like this:

I'm guessing you d see him rely far more on shielding the ball with his body in a similar situation rather than using impeccable ball control.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
In light of what Haddock said, I kinda wonder if there are any vids of Lukaku doing something like this:

I'm guessing you d see him rely far more on shielding the ball with his body in a similar situation rather than using impeccable ball control.
You have this :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's a very good player and his overall game isn't nearly as terrible as people here make it out to be, even though it's not great

But he does seem to struggle against higher quality of opponents/importance of the game, at least since moving to United. IIRC he didn't really have this problem at everton, remember him scoring a few against the best teams in england as well as derbies

Off the top of my head the only big games i remember him doing well are chelsea at home(united-chelsea 2-1), brazil at the world cup and of course the greatest night on the caf in the last 6 years

debunkology

He's a very good player and his overall game isn't nearly as terrible as people here make it out to be, even though it's not great

But he does seem to struggle against higher quality of opponents/importance of the game, at least since moving to United. IIRC he didn't really have this problem at everton, remember him scoring a few against the best teams in england as well as derbies

Off the top of my head the only big games i remember him doing well are chelsea at home(united-chelsea 2-1), brazil at the world cup and of course the greatest night on the caf in the last 6 years
Lukaku 's reputation at Everton was that 1.) His first touch was abysmal. 2.) He was lazy and 3.)He went missing in big games. And 4.) Many Evertonians were happy to get the 75m for him. But Everton built their team around him, and Martinez was the guy who got the best out of him by calling him phenomenal every game. Lukaku is one of the best finishers in the game there is no doubt about that, but there are better all rounded strikers than him and he is not a team player.

Alemar

12 in 20 games (2 in ucl)
It doesn't matter in which competition, as long as the game is official. Actually, 12 in 20 is much better than many would have expected. I don't follow Italian football so somehow thought he was doing worse than that.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
It doesn't matter in which competition, as long as the game is official. Actually, 12 in 20 is much better than many would have expected. I don't follow Italian football so somehow thought he was doing worse than that.
It doesn't look that good when u see the goals. 4 tap ins, 3 pens, 1 worldie and a few headers.
And the most important stat he's been pretty shit against top serie a teams

NM

It doesn't look that good when u see the goals. 4 tap ins, 3 pens, 1 worldie and a few headers.
And the most important stat he's been pretty shit against top serie a teams
I am not a Big Rom fan, but a goal is a goal. A tap in and a worldie count the exact same. If we had somebody to score tap-ins we would be top 4 (Not Rom though!)

Alemar

I am not a Big Rom fan, but a goal is a goal. A tap in and a worldie count the exact same. If we had somebody to score tap-ins we would be top 4 (Not Rom though!)
Totally agree. We have Rashford with 13 goals and it's his best ever season performance-wise. The second best goalscorer we now have is ... Mason Greenwood at 6 goals (jointly with Martial, Ok)

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah you could, but would it be 10 mins long for half a season?
I don't know. I can think of plenty of times someone like Rashford looking clumsy as feck. Rooney when he was out of form as well.

bludsucker

Its not just that, its the consistently bad finishing. Could you imagine our 2008 team with this bloke instead of Tevez? Ronaldo and Rooney would two foot him before half time. Begs the question, why was he ever fecking signed...
Mourinho had this idea of him being the next drogba or something. The fact was that his holdup play and first touch wasn’t good enough to be a drogba like number 9.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's doing well. Just, not quite well enough. He's been bad in virtually every big game except slavia prague away

Inter need him to be a crack, and he's just not

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s just as gash as I remember then. On a side note, watching that does make you appreciate the atmospheres we have at PL grounds. I can see why foreign signings always say they’re struck by how seriously we take football over here. Most of those stadiums sound dead.

VJ1762

He's doing well. Just, not quite well enough. He's been bad in virtually every big game except slavia prague away

Inter need him to be a crack, and he's just not
My man was standing in an offside position and calling for the ball to be played to him. I can see Inter looking for an upgrade next season.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I actually think Inter are very happy with him. Or at least Conte is.
He's got 12 goals and 2 assists in 21 games, his buddy up front Martinez has 13 and 3 in 22 games.
Add those up and that's a pretty efficient forward line.

A lot of the shit he gets stems from the wrong expectations people have. He'll never have a great touch. He's just a very capable scorer of goals. Put some creativity around him and you'll be fine.

redsunited

Everything about Lukaku is pretty consistent.

Still he is a better striker than anyone we have. His movement expecting a tapin(also good in headers) is something all our current forwards are still not as good as him. That is the reason he scores more goals consistently than our other young forwards.

Lukaku is poor in big games, first touch and team buildup play in which both Martial and Rashford are better.

So overall Lukaku stats will look better than Rashford and Martial till they get that strikers ability for tapins and increase their headed goals as well.

Red_toad

Still he is a better striker than anyone we have. His movement expecting a tapin(also good in headers) is something all our current forwards are still not as good as him. That is the reason he scores more goals consistently than our other young forwards.

Lukaku is poor in big games, first touch and team buildup play in which both Martial and Rashford are better.

So overall Lukaku stats will look better than Rashford and Martial till they get that strikers ability for tapins and increase their headed goals as well.
That is instinct, not something you can ‘get’. Yes coaching can improve but some players just have that knack and others don’t.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Lukaku's goal scoring record looks better this season as he is taking penalties now, before at ManUtd and Everton Baines and Pogba took the penalties.

From open play, his goal scoring record is same as at Manutd.

Martial has contributed to 7 goals (from open play) in 862 mins (league only)
Lukaku has contributed to 7 goals (from open play) in 1348 mins (league only)

Obviously Martial should improve his goal scoring rate but there isn't much between them when it comes to contribution to team when it comes to goals and assists. When you consider link up play, hold up play Martial is obviously better than Lukaku.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I actually think Inter are very happy with him. Or at least Conte is.
He's got 12 goals and 2 assists in 21 games, his buddy up front Martinez has 13 and 3 in 22 games.
Add those up and that's a pretty efficient forward line.

A lot of the shit he gets stems from the wrong expectations people have. He'll never have a great touch. He's just a very capable scorer of goals. Put some creativity around him and you'll be fine.
For Inter right now he's good, but he isn't a big game player at all, which in later years will impact them, but if they can win league or some cups and keep making CL, they'll be happy with that investment.

VJ1762

I still can't get over the fact that he tripped over the ball against southampon and went off faking an injury. Good riddance.