Ronaldo as a LWF or SC?

Cloud7

Central striker. Ole talked about Martial and the Rash not putting themselves in the positions to score the easy goals. That is exactly the sort of thing that Ronaldo will do.

Adam_S

4-4-2. Screw defense, we're Man United.

--------------Ronaldo-------Cavani-------------------

Rashford------Pogba------Bruno-----Sancho

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So often we lack a player in the middle of the box to just score. IMO, he will play as a striker, drifting to the left / interchanging with Rashford from time to time.
Ronaldo and Pogba, that could also be something special.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Striker. We can't head in goals to save our lives. Well at least our present strikers can't. Just ping balls into the box and watch him score for fun. Heading is one of his biggest strengths which will come into play this season.

bakalhau

I've been saying this for a while in the performance thread, he cannot play as a static 9 in the box. It's a complete waste of all his abilities. He played like this a lot in Juventus and he disappeared for 90 minutes as he was swarmed with 2 or 3 defenders the box.

He needs to play on the left, or, possibly a better choice, a 9 with free reign to roam and drift to the left or even drift to the right. His off the ball movement, reading of the game, positioning, acceleration, is unlike anything I've ever seen, and the strategy needs to work to bring the best out of him.

He can also still win 1 on 1s on the wing and, for example, he usually crossed the ball better than nearly other Juventus player on the team.

The only issue with him sticking to the left as main position would be the defensive duty, but personally if I was a coach, I'd take that risk. But at the bare minimum, he has to be a 9 with liberty to drift around.

Reactions: harms

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He'll play as a central striker without any doubt.

kiristao

Definitely central striker. He doesn't do enough defensively to play any other role and is extremely effective in the box.

SAFMUTD

Striker without a doubt, he's lethal upfront and we are covered in the wings.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
100% as a striker.

He's not going to be racing in any goals from out wide these days for one thing.
But from a structure of the team point of view, up front is the only answer as he won't be tracking back at all.

Utd77

Sancho on the right, Ronaldo and Cavani interchanging would be fearsome.

RedKnight88

This might be our best bet for now:

---------------------------------C.Ronaldo----------------------------------
Paul Pogba--------Bruno Fernandes--------------------Jadon Sancho
-------------------Fred---------------Nemanja Matic-------------------
Luke Shaw-----------Harry Maguire--------Raphael Varane----AWB-----

Midfield is still poor with Scott McTominay injured...

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Up front without a doubt.

Sancho on left with Shaw and Greenwood on right, feed him through the middle and it will be a beautiful sight

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
----------------------------DDG-------------------------
Varane---------------Maguire------------Shaw
--------------------------Pogba------------------------
Greenwood--Bruno--Sancho--Rashford
------------------Cavani---Ronaldo---------------

All out attack

Highfather_24

Did he not play as CF for Juventus because he got shite support?

I think him and Bruno can be an amazing strike partnership.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's bought to score the goals. He'll be our main striker of course.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Did he not play as CF for Juventus because he got shite support?

I think him and Bruno can be an amazing strike partnership.
Him being at the end of balls from Pogba, Sancho, Bruno, Rashford will most likely mean he plays as a striker mainly imo

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
When you put it like that… oh man!
Against Soton, we had plenty of balls to the middle of the box but Martial was never there. Now, with so much more potential going forward, you need a top class finisher. And that will be Ronaldo and, as 2nd choice, Cavani I assume

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I've been saying this for a while in the performance thread, he cannot play as a static 9 in the box. It's a complete waste of all his abilities. He played like this a lot in Juventus and he disappeared for 90 minutes as he was swarmed with 2 or 3 defenders the box.

He needs to play on the left, or, possibly a better choice, a 9 with free reign to roam and drift to the left or even drift to the right. His off the ball movement, reading of the game, positioning, acceleration, is unlike anything I've ever seen, and the strategy needs to work to bring the best out of him.

He can also still win 1 on 1s on the wing and, for example, he usually crossed the ball better than nearly other Juventus player on the team.

The only issue with him sticking to the left as main position would be the defensive duty, but personally if I was a coach, I'd take that risk. But at the bare minimum, he has to be a 9 with liberty to drift around.
Absolutely, think he's very handful at a lot of things across the offensive positions to have him static all game unless it was something related to fitness issues or not being able to play like that thoughout the season. But I also think he needs to drift around and go to the wings every now and then during the game.

Silas

Our attack is pretty fluid position-wise, so he'll have plenty of opportunity to drift I reckon.

babablue

From Ole himself after today's match: "He's more of a center forward for me... I want him in the box, scoring goals"

imgur.com/a/JL6JrDa

DarkXaero

Still Cristiano

Ladies the pay homage, but haters say Ron fell off, How my last club was Juve, they wanna know if he's still got it, they say football's changed they wanna know how I feel about it.

If you ain't up on things
Cristiano's my name, I'm ahead off my game, still.
Well done.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sancho—-Bruno—-Rashford
—————-Ronaldo—————-

Pogba, Cavani and Greenwood rotating in and out. That’s some depth.
Let’s be honest. It’s Pogba instead of Rashford. He’s great balance on that LW and a much better creator than Rashford

cyril C

Cavani used to track back all the time, ala Rooney. He's better than Rashford and Greenwood at it, if he still has the legs for it.
Cavani certainly has the right attitude to help on set piece etc. But by default, you don't expect a #9 to chase the ball box to box, back to half-way-line at best. And he certainly won't have the legs. Nor you can expect CR to run box2box. That's why I state both CR and Cavani are luxury players, in terms of defending. Players like Rashford helps a lot, but you can hardly see Martial, Greenwood, James etc. being a Mourinho type of wingers. I reserve my comment on Sancho since it was just his 1st game.

Do people realise how much help did Fred get from his team mates against Wolves? I am not saying Fred was great, he was terrible, but the setup exposed Fred to a nightmare scenario

Pronewbie

Peep
Cavani certainly has the right attitude to help on set piece etc. But by default, you don't expect a #9 to chase the ball box to box, back to half-way-line at best. And he certainly won't have the legs. Nor you can expect CR to run box2box. That's why I state both CR and Cavani are luxury players, in terms of defending. Players like Rashford helps a lot, but you can hardly see Martial, Greenwood, James etc. being a Mourinho type of wingers. I reserve my comment on Sancho since it was just his 1st game.

Do people realise how much help did Fred get from his team mates against Wolves? I am not saying Fred was great, he was terrible, but the setup exposed Fred to a nightmare scenario
I was thinking along the lines of starting both Cavani and Ronnie together, actually. If Cavani still has the legs for it.. He could play the Rooney role. It was his best position prior to joining us.

cyril C

I was thinking along the lines of starting both Cavani and Ronnie together, actually. If Cavani still has the legs for it.. He could play the Rooney role. It was his best position prior to joining us.
Only if we have McFred together, to cover for them. If Wolves was as clinical as West Ham or City, we would have been 3-0 down by 1st half. Don't start them together, as impact Sub only.

Strelok

My opinion won't be popular here but I think it's best for Ronaldo to be a super sub, not a starter. We can bring him on when we need a goal.

For a starting slot I don't think he would hold up and he'd be likely to run all day like Cavani, and he's no longer a winger. I don't think he'd fare well as a winger especially in the PL.

We can start him in the home matches or against some lesser opponent where we can control the game with our midfield. The idea of starting him against a solid opponent doesn't sound good to me. Like in the Euro he'll be isolated, has no service and make no impact at all.

Pickle85

My opinion won't be popular here but I think it's best for Ronaldo to be a super sub, not a starter. We can bring him on when we need a goal.

For a starting slot I don't think he would hold up and he'd be likely to run all day like Cavani, and he's no longer a winger. I don't think he'd fare well as a winger especially in the PL.

We can start him in the home matches or against some lesser opponent where we can control the game with our midfield. The idea of starting him against a solid opponent doesn't sound good to me. Like in the Euro he'll be isolated, has no service and make no impact at all.
Buy Ronaldo as an impact sub? That's a very bold take...

Strelok

Buy Ronaldo as an impact sub? That's a very bold take...
Yes, for me no player is bigger than the team regardless of who he is and how much we paid for him. Ronaldo of the old day would force the team to serve him but I doubt it'd worth that today.

Let him playing a few games first and we'd see I think. The idea of him being an undisputed starter is simply a bit too early for me. We'll see.

Sviken

Yes, for me no player is bigger than the team regardless of who he is and how much we paid for him. Ronaldo of the old day would force the team to serve him but I doubt it'd worth that today.

Let him playing a few games first and we'd see I think. The idea of him being an undisputed starter is simply a bit too early for me. We'll see.
Ridiculous. He outscored Lukaku in Serie A last year, with a dogshit team, who went to Chelsea for 100 million. Ronaldo can easily score 30+ goals even at this age and we don't have that. Not even Cavani.

R'hllor

Ronaldo didnt like running back helping his FB when he was young, imagine now, give him freedom to roam, midfield needs to read situation when he is not in the box and fill it, he would find them with ez.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I had mentioned this when he was linked to City and it wasn't a piss take. He will fit our line up perfectly. Much better than City. We have lot of floating forwards and the box is pretty much free all the time. This guy can just take it.

So striker obviously